WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home Generator

Taboma

Reaction score
This panel has a transfer switch for each circuit (top switches). It comes with a pre wired pig tail for the circuits and the utility feed (240).

Typically you move your emergency circuits from the main or sub panel to the generator panel. (j box on the right is the splice) The circuit is still fed from the original breaker, hits the transfer switch in the generator panel and then goes back to the original load via the bottom breakers.

The generator only feeds this panel and has no way back to the home’s main panel. The transfer switches only allow GEN/OFF/Utility and never a combination of the 3.

It eliminates the need to have to worry about shutting down unnecessary circuits (A/C condenser/pool/etc). Which for those that don’t know is very important when using a portable generator. Too much load and the generator breaker will continually trip while your wife and baby are yelling [emoji16]

Edit: attaching reliance’s wiring diagram for reference.

View attachment 940775

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried your attachment, didn't work for me. I was more curious just how many wires were in that 3/4 or 1" between the gen panel and J-box 😳 I've never seen a transfer panel like that one, pretty cool. Although a tad confused when I noticed two - 2 pole transfers on the left, but only one 2 pole breaker below it.

hallett21

Reaction score
Tried your attachment, didn't work for me. I was more curious just how many wires were in that 3/4 or 1" between the gen panel and J-box [emoji15] I've never seen a transfer panel like that one, pretty cool. Although a tad confused when I noticed two - 2 pole transfers on the left, but only one 2 pole breaker below it.

Maybe this will work. It’s a lot of wires lol

hallett21

Reaction score
Here’s Generac’s version

IMG_6696.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
Tried your attachment, didn't work for me. I was more curious just how many wires were in that 3/4 or 1" between the gen panel and J-box [emoji15] I've never seen a transfer panel like that one, pretty cool. Although a tad confused when I noticed two - 2 pole transfers on the left, but only one 2 pole breaker below it.

That second transfer switch is for the 2 factory 240 circuits. Looks like they only needed 1 and just used the other as single circuits (tied together by the 2 pole transfer switch).

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
This panel has a transfer switch for each circuit (top switches). It comes with a pre wired pig tail for the circuits and the utility feed (240).

Typically you move your emergency circuits from the main or sub panel to the generator panel. (j box on the right is the splice) The circuit is still fed from the original breaker, hits the transfer switch in the generator panel and then goes back to the original load via the bottom breakers.

The generator only feeds this panel and has no way back to the home’s main panel. The transfer switches only allow GEN/OFF/Utility and never a combination of the 3.

It eliminates the need to have to worry about shutting down unnecessary circuits (A/C condenser/pool/etc). Which for those that don’t know is very important when using a portable generator. Too much load and the generator breaker will continually trip while your wife and baby are yelling [emoji16]

View attachment 940775

^^^All the above^^^

wash11

Reaction score
That second transfer switch is for the 2 factory 240 circuits. Looks like they only needed 1 and just used the other as single circuits (tied together by the 2 pole transfer switch).

Shit, wish I knew you were a dealer. I bought a Generac 15kw ecogen from Norwall a couple months ago.

Taboma

Reaction score

Thanks for that attachment, explains a lot. One glaring reality is, you damn well best be using a 240 V generator and NOT two 120V generator receptacles with a "Y" pigtail or you'll be frying that SINGLE neutral wire. I was picturing a separate neutral per circuit --- so even more conductors in that conduit --- which now I see is a pre-wired pigtail.

Because my main panel only contains large 240V circuits, like solar, AC's, Kitchen Cooking and three sub-panel feeders, it's a bit more complicated ----- unless I were to use a single transfer "All or nothing" switch. With maybe one or two short outages a year, if even that, it's hard to commit financial resources to backup power, other than a genny and a few extension cords.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

View attachment 940775

Ok got it -

You pre decided what you weren't ever going to run off your genset and removed the ability to do so regardless of you managing the load. (the bulk of your 240 gear)

My LA house is set up similarly with 120 only to the pony panel.

I'm a bit surprised the 3 way switch is kosher - but its really cool.

Oh I know about overloads....

UD

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Been installing this one over the last couple weeks in my free time. Almost ready to fire it up. 35KW with 400A ATS. 195Gallon Base Tank.
View attachment 940906 View attachment 940907
I love that. You can power up the entire city of Burbank.

Just a matter of time until the Democrats come after all of us for this.
Permits, restrictions, regulations, taxes and fees.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Im not as far along as you are.

I've just got the concrete base in for a 20KW Kohler running off natural gas.

Needed to run central AC and a well pump.

Had to permit it because I needed to upsize the meter - it was 20 cubic feet short of the number - F@*$*%((#*@@#$$!!!

NURI4305.jpeg

Reactions: TPC

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Shit, wish I knew you were a dealer. I bought a Generac 15kw ecogen from Norwall a couple months ago.

Most of the perm generac's Ive seen in the 20K range have really low valve lash adjustment intervals. Not sure about that model.

McKay

Reaction score
Ya, I did a new 400A service as well. I live in a small town though so permits go through real easy.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
I love that. You can power up the entire city of Burbank.

Just a matter of time until the Democrats come after all of us for this.
Permits, restrictions, regulations, taxes and fees.

We are so restricted in Norther Cal (Menlo Park) that they would not allow generator or stored fuel for a critical office we have there. Problem is we lose power 4 to 5 times a year. We got around it by buying a 24' Penske truck and mounting the generator and fuel tanks in there, power drops, we just back the truck up to the side of the building and plug into a special harness, boom, we have power. The city keeps trying to fight us, but we keep beating them at this game.

My business partner put a playhouse in his back yard to hide his generator, it's all sound proof, looks legit. He just needs to keep the lights to a minimum when power is out as not to tip anyone off. California sucks.

wash11

Reaction score
Most of the perm generac's Ive seen in the 20K range have really low valve lash adjustment intervals. Not sure about that model.

Supposed to be low service. It's one they market to off-grid setups like ours so there's some features we like. Our lithium batteries charge so fast I'll be surprised if this thing ever sees 100 hours in my lifetime but it'll nice having a fully automated system.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Supposed to be low service. It's one they market to off-grid setups like ours so there's some features we like. Our lithium batteries charge so fast I'll be surprised if this thing ever sees 100 hours in my lifetime but it'll nice having a fully automated system.

Pretty sweet setup for that low usage - you got a sister?

Im already at 100 hours in the last 30 days.

Not for you but this just stepping into this -

Most often ignored piece of small genset maintenance is valve lash.
Hard to find anyone thats ever done much less knows their own intervals.
You starting running some hours under a load and they will start moving.

Contrary to popular thought they lash doenst grow on these it shrinks and the valve pounds into the head then it stops closing then it burns.

j21black

Reaction score
So kind of off subject a little bit.

I have 2 of these Cat units. They just came out in the spring I believe and I got the first one Electric Generators Direct sold. I bought it to power the AC on my dirtbike trailer and it works great for that. The last hurricane that hit a couple weeks ago knocked my power out for a day or so and I used it run our fridge/freezers/hot water/stove (LP)/internet. Worked great for that.

One of my wife coworkers called and asked if we had a generator the could borrow and I told them I had a NIB briggs & stratton Q6500 that I would sell for less than I paid for it. They were going to come and get it and their power turned back on before they left the house so they decided not to buy it (which is fine by me) but asked what they should buy to power a few items around the house. I was going to point them to the CAT unit but found it discontinued on all of the websites which I found to be odd. I called CAT and they told me they quit making small generators which kinda caught me off guard. Has anyone else heard this.

They make a plug to run the 2 units in paralell that I was going to buy at some point but guess now I'm SOL. They told me to go to a local CAT dealer to see what I could find out.

cat1.jpg
cat2.jpg
cat3.jpg

Echo Lodge

Reaction score

I bought this over the HF 3500 Predator month or so ago.. Its now on sale (always my luck).

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

I bought this over the HF 3500 Predator month or so ago.. Its now on sale (always my luck).

I have the 3000 wen unit, 890+ hours on it. Sips fuel, and pretty quiet, and under a doghouse. Nearly maintenance free, only replaced the fuel line, started seeping at the shut-off valve.

Dan'l

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Ya want clean power 1.5% or less distortion.

Those non-inverter portables can be as much as 30% distortion.
Computers and TV's can't jive with that nor plug-in Hybrids/elect cars..

Natural gas powered Honda 7000's are hard to find. Easy as all get out to plug and play and be good to go. Expensive too. Just plug the BBQ's NG gas line into them and away ya go.

Last edited:

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I have the 3000 wen unit, 890+ hours on it. Sips fuel, and pretty quiet, and under a doghouse. Nearly maintenance free, only replaced the fuel line, started seeping at the shut-off valve.

Dan'l

Good to know, thanks. The Wen has more watts compared to the HF and already has the RV plug and ability to run the gas out of the card by simply turning the dial to off. Oh, and if you do buy one, you have to run it more than 2 hours for the hour meter to not reset. I did my first oil change at 1 hour and could not figure out why it went back to zero. I called customer service to get the info to run it for 2.5 hours to make the timer hold its readout.

4Waters

Reaction score
Yeah a repost but what the hey:

a0ae562a-7704-4932-994c-344f054d0a4f-jpeg.940036
8db240ad-1914-4ab1-a444-d547aef4e0eb-jpeg.940037

a06fbaaa-2aca-4870-bb53-c5a2796ecdcb-jpeg.940038
View attachment 940561
50 Amp Reliance.
If you accidentally hot up and back feed power to an electrical crew it only takes a few amps to
kill them.
Go quality - go with code, spend a few bucks on a competent electrician.

Electricians told me Honda uses a 50 AMP "California Plug." It differs at the generator receptacle connection.
The Powerhorse has the 50 AMP RV style in addition to all kinds of others.
Does this power the entire house A/C and all?

W.O.T

Reaction score
6DC4FBAD-1847-4A24-ACB4-B65E60954F78.jpeg

I have this identical one but the brand is Pulsar. I recommend it also. I just bought a trickle charger for the battery I love this thing

I just got one of these. Haven't used it yet other than to just test it but it came highly recommended by and inmate here and I confirmed the specs vs the price with a RV Repair shop owner. For $1100 its a great deal.

View attachment 921155

DWC

Reaction score
The bigger ones are interesting but I think I'm going to start with a smaller inverter generator unit - probably a Honda EU2200i) as I can take it off roading/camping and have it at the house for emergencies. It'll likely be good enough to power the fridge (I checked the surge watts) and I figure I could always get the mate for it and pair the two together for more juice.

I'm probably going to buy from Home Depot and pay it over 6 months with zero interest unless I can find a better reason to buy elsewhere.
FYI - If anyone is planning on grabbing one of these I’d do it sooner rather than later. Rumor has it that smaller Honda inverters won’t be around in California much longer.

hallett21

Reaction score
FYI - If anyone is planning on grabbing one of these I’d do it sooner rather than later. Rumor has it that smaller Honda inverters won’t be around in California much longer.

Emissions?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Does this power the entire house A/C and all?

Entire house yes and the swamp cooler. No central AC but it will run the FA heat.
AC draws an excessive 28 amps, but the swamper only 8.

Couldn't find a 10.000 AMP quiet inverter generator.
Being occasional stand by, we're good to go with 7500.
But in case of a humid day and the swamp cooler pukes this window unit draw only 9 amps and is super quiet for the day-sleeping wife:

810004817784.jpg

Last edited:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
We are so restricted in Norther Cal (Menlo Park) that they would not allow generator or stored fuel for a critical office we have there. Problem is we lose power 4 to 5 times a year. We got around it by buying a 24' Penske truck and mounting the generator and fuel tanks in there, power drops, we just back the truck up to the side of the building and plug into a special harness, boom, we have power. The city keeps trying to fight us, but we keep beating them at this game.

My business partner put a playhouse in his back yard to hide his generator, it's all sound proof, looks legit. He just needs to keep the lights to a minimum when power is out as not to tip anyone off. California sucks.
Imagine the kind of asshole neighbor that reports you for having power during an outage. Lol!
But.....sadly, they're out there

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Ozone generators are banned. Not CARB compliant home elect generators. News is getting those mixed up.
Unlikely they will.
Honda will be introducing new models so that may be why the shortage and their China plant was shut down for a while.

DWC

Reaction score
Ozone generators are banned. Not CARB compliant home elect generators. News is getting those mixed up.
Unlikely they will.
Honda will be introducing new models so that may be why the shortage and their China plant was shut down for a while.
They’re not being banned. It’s not worth Honda’s hassle to get the CARB certification on the small inverter line. They don’t believe California will allow them long term. It doesn’t impact the larger generators.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Not sure if I ever uploaded a pict of the finished project.

Turned out really nice and clean.

From drop to restore is about 9 seconds, the switch back to grid power is seamless.
Now I need a UPS on my modem and router and Im good.

IMG_1210.jpeg
IMG_1105.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
Uncle Dave's post regarding his rapid generator restoration timing reminded me. 9 Seconds is certainly great !!!

Many years ago we installed a 150KW generator for the Reactionary Force Facility (Bad mo-fuckers) at an extremely high security nuke weapons storage facility.
The specs required a 5 second Gen start and restoration transfer. The main reason were the multitude of perimeter HPS and Halogen security lights that lit the place up like a football stadium nightly. Power restoration within the 5 seconds allowed for the HPS lights to re-fire and maintain ample illumination, without the normal lengthy warm up.

About a year ago my neighbor had purchased a new Samsung Semi-higher end LED "Smart TV". He was telling me the other day, that when we've experienced even a brief power outage, when power is restored, his Samsung TV turns itself on. He first noticed it when they returned after being out of town for a week, during which we'd had an outage and when he got home he heard voices ---- his TV.
Since then he's paid notice and sure enough, even an extremely brief outage and the TV turns itself on. Anybody else noticed this ??

Yoshiro

Reaction score
Last weekend I went to Costco and bought a Generac XT8500efi for $999. It's been running this week as I'm building a house and the contractors needed power. 10,000 startup power, and has the 30A plug to connect to the house once I get the transfer switch installed. Electric start too. Can't beat it for $999.

Attachments

• 20210131_113758.jpg
    20210131_113758.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 47

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Uncle Dave's post regarding his rapid generator restoration timing reminded me. 9 Seconds is certainly great !!!

Many years ago we installed a 150KW generator for the Reactionary Force Facility (Bad mo-fuckers) at an extremely high security nuke weapons storage facility.
The specs required a 5 second Gen start and restoration transfer. The main reason were the multitude of perimeter HPS and Halogen security lights that lit the place up like a football stadium nightly. Power restoration within the 5 seconds allowed for the HPS lights to re-fire and maintain ample illumination, without the normal lengthy warm up.
About a year ago my neighbor had purchased a new Samsung Semi-higher end LED "Smart TV". He was telling me the other day, that when we've experienced even a brief power outage, when power is restored, his Samsung TV turns itself on. He first noticed it when they returned after being out of town for a week, during which we'd had an outage and when he got home he heard voices ---- his TV.
Since then he's paid notice and sure enough, even an extremely brief outage and the TV turns itself on. Anybody else noticed this ??

5 second is incredible from 0- to stabilized power - what was the fuel on that? Diesel?

I actually experienced at TV doing this at an Airbnb last year -
I called the owner and told him that I thought someone had been in my unit and he said nah, just had a power hit thats all.
Not acceptable behavior for an electric device.

Taboma

Reaction score
5 second is incredible from 0- to stabilized power - what was the fuel on that? Diesel?

I actually experienced at TV doing this at an Airbnb last year -
I called the owner and told him that I thought someone had been in my unit and he said nah, just had a power hit thats all.
Not acceptable behavior for an electric device.

Yes 150KW Cat Diesel, everything Mil-Spec, oil pre-heated with full time crank case heater. This building housed and berthed the guys protecting the nukes 24/7 and all the security lighting and systems were controlled from a console in that building.

That's strange on the TV's, wonder how common it is ?? I don't have any Samsung's that do that, of course mine aren't all that Smart, they're older and dumber.