WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home improvement question need HVAC, Roof,Stucco

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
1200 sq ft home with detached garage. Need re roof, sand blast, stucco, wood work painted and the whole thing tented. Best to go separate or find a contractor?

wet hull

Reaction score
1200 sq ft home with detached garage. Need re roof, sand blast, stucco, wood work painted and the whole thing tented. Best to go separate or find a contractor?
It really depends on your budget and availability to manage. As a GC I basically coordinate subs and push the schedule at a typical 20-30% mark up on my subs. If you can manage and find guys that can keep your schedule go for it.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Separate for sure. Get bids from a roofing contractor. They will handle permit and everything. Find a painter who can handle the exterior and a termite / bug company to tent. No reason to hire a GC. Where do you live?

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Whittier ca. Pretty sure I will need some wood replaced. What order to follow is another question?

Javajoe

Reaction score
I would tent first. Those guys normally break some tile. Don’t want them up there on a new roof. Roofers will replace bad wood facia and make sure to get your facia painted while the roof tile is off. You can do reroof and painting together somewhat.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Sand blast stucco after tenting but before roofing? I haave had them all done before but have never needed them all at the same time.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
A friend owns this joint. If you decide to call be sure to ask for Chad.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Start drinking now. It's long hard road for you to DIY (destroy it yourself)

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Sand blast stucco after tenting but before roofing? I haave had them all done before but have never needed them all at the same time.
Just a thought, we do heat treatments for termites. Nothing goes on the roof so no risk to breaking tiles. And we're done in one day and you can come back the same day.

Same warranty as fumigation.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm in the Michigan Park area.

NicPaus

Reaction score
If a shingle roof tent at the end tile roof before roof. You don't want them bringing in termites with the new wood.

braindead

Reaction score
Replace rotted wood, so if stucco needs to be patched it can be done before color coat
If Tile roof, sandblast paint stucco and tent first
If compo, u can do it first then sandblast, stucco and paint Tent at the end

That's how I'd do it and u can gc yourself, just know you will always be scheduled behind there regular contractors so get a timeframe on there contract

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Ok friend hills area two of the guys live lacuarta and ocean view and one on college

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Right down the street. Small world

termiteguy

Reaction score
Do the fumigation first don't do heat treatment ever it doesn't work period. Do the roof afternoon sand blast. Mew lumber should not have termites in it this time of year in a couple of months it could but not now. Paint once wall work is done it keeps everything clean and fresh just mt option

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Is there UV stuff they put in stucco? I heard there are additives for
paint.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
List just grew. Would like to add hvac, There is none. House had central heat, but it never worked well, the unit is gone. The attic is very shallow, not sure there is any room for equipment. Also would need panel upgrade.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
List just grew. Would like to add hvac, There is none. House had central heat, but it never worked well, the unit is gone. The attic is very shallow, not sure there is any room for equipment. Also would need panel upgrade.
Good candidate for mini-split units sounds like.

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Just a thought, we do heat treatments for termites. Nothing goes on the roof so no risk to breaking tiles. And we're done in one day and you can come back the same day.

Same warranty as fumigation.
What's the process for this sounds better than filling my house full of chemicals

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Mini splits would be fine with me and the wife. Guess I need to get an ac guy out. For sure I need a new panel.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Do the fumigation first don't do heat treatment ever it doesn't work period. Do the roof afternoon sand blast. Mew lumber should not have termites in it this time of year in a couple of months it could but not now. Paint once wall work is done it keeps everything clean and fresh just mt option
I heard heat was used for bedbugs. How do you handle bedbugs?

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
What's the process for this sounds better than filling my house full of chemicals
Basically we seal house off from the outside with plastic sheets to lock heat and heat the house up to a specific temperature for a specific time to kill the termites and there eggs. There is some prep work involved on your side and certain homes are not good candidates because of the high temp.

termiteguy

Reaction score
I heard heat was used for bedbugs. How do you handle bedbugs?
Fumigation is great for bed bugs as well as termites the just use 3 times as much gas and hold that level for a longer period of tim. How ever if it a multi family building then you must use heat it's a lot more work could take multiple days to complete all clothing would need to be heated to high temps

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
How long are you away while tenting ? Has it changed in the last 20 years?

DLC

Reaction score
You don’t need to sand blast stucco, they have additives and a modern synthetic type of stucco that comes in a bucket and will expand and contract with out cracking. It’s way better than traditional stucco. I just had my stucco guy run my house! 2 coats after new windows and new doors! Looks great! Call local commercial stucco supply houses and they will give a referral

what type of roof ?
3 tab shingles ?
Flat roof ( like a hot mop) you can use a rubberized roof paint that lasts a good 10-15 years with a couple coats
tile?
you can also call roofing supply for referrals

get a painter ( 3 quotes )to paint and prep the wood before the stucco is done you can find good referrals at paint stores - Sherwin williams, DunnEdwards etc

i would also get 3 quotes for termite inspection and any wood replacement, if wood needs to be replaced the termite company is usually expensive a goid carpenter can replace for a lot cheaper, but finding the carpenter is the hard part

Network-
while getting quotes from each trade talk to them to see if they have any recommendations stucco guy may have a painter etc etc

HVAC talk to neighbor, coworkers etc call supply houses for referrals

if you hire a General contractor he will up charge everything and have all his own trade (subs ) & then you only make one call to get answers but will cost more

everyone is super busy, hard to find good subs in a reasonable amount if time.

DLC

Reaction score
Order if work

termite
I would call termite guys for quotes And inspection they will point out and wood that needs to replaced - eaten or dry wrought. They will locate ( site map ) what and where needs to be replaced.

roofer
get quotes either patch or re roof and ask about replacing wood spelled out in the termite report separate line for replacement

painter
repaint facial boards and wood trim / eves after all wood has been replaced and before stucco, painter will need to come back for touch up after stucco guy is done.

you want the painter to spray the eves and if over spray gets on the old stucco it’s ok after stucco painter can do touch up with a brush

stucco
replace any windows / doors / electrical panels prior to stucco remove any rain gutter down spouts etc anything and everything on the walls needs to be removed

Tenting
last thing I would do is tent

HVAC can be fine any any time during the process

your probably looking at 50-80 grand

stucco if adding any patches 15-25,000

roofing 8-20

paint 5-8

termite 5-8

this is all a guesstimate!

HVAC 12-15 not sure if updating equipment or need a entire new system ducts & electrical

if you plan to ever add solar look at Ele panel to see if it needs to be upgraded - do it prior to stucco - is current panel 100 amp or 200 amp center meter or top meter

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Thanks for the comprehensive answer. Definitely need a sand blast. At one point somebody tex coated it, needs some patching also.
Roof is 23 years old. Water travels back under the shingle(comp) and is rotting the first board. The house originally had a torch down rock roof. This was torn off and comp shingled. The pitch is very shallow, shingle roof plans approved by building dept. But the inspector said I will have problems later. He approved it because the plans were approved. Now I have problems. Wife would also like the front porch extended while we're at it.
AC would be a new install. 100 amp panel and it is full.