WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home School

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Not a teacher / professor and do not have kids.

Dealing with adults all day is challenging enough... could not imagine having a classroom full of children... I would lose my shit :D No way I could do that profession.

drew_built

Reaction score
For those with kids at home visit my jobs website lakeshore learning materials there’s a section with tons a free teaching material and activities you can do with your kids at home just need a printer
18FBC0E4-76D2-4107-A0D9-7D271E49ECAF.png

TrollerDave

Reaction score
That said we have actual home schooling through our school and getting these kids to complete the work is challenging..

I wanted to use the old belt routine. Stacy said no. Lol.
Did they tell you they’d have it done in 2 weeks? 😁

It does give you a whole new perspective and appreciation of teaching.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Against my better judgment I let my wife give our daughter her old phone last week to Facetime/Marco Polo on Wi-Fi with her friends.

She can't use the phone until work for the day gets done. First week before the phone schoolwork was a bit of a struggle. Week 2 using the phone as a carrot schoolwork is now done with a quickness. We check it over and submit it.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
School for my boy has been better than expected...especially after mom started reading the assignment instructions...Friday was a bit rough...she had the kid doing a week’s worth of math...someone was ready to kill someone...still in the air as to who had more fire in their eyes.
The social aspect seems to take its toll on the kid, so we set him up to video chat with a few friends every day. That helped a lot. I’m home too and have needed to make some adjustments...dedicate some time in the afternoon to do whatever the kid wants and get them outside. Today it’s laser tag in the backyard.

we adapt.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
That said we have actual home schooling through our school and getting these kids to complete the work is challenging..

I wanted to use the old belt routine. Stacy said no. Lol.
We're on week 2 here and ready to fucking eat a bullet as well! It's been rough but found a couple helpful tricks after the first week. Of course getting the technology side squared away but next get a whiteboard for each kid with daily tasks they get to check off. Theres always a small reward each day like gaming time or some shit. The biggest change in my wife's sanity is to stop comparing our experiences to the picture perfect fucking social media stories of our friends!!!!!

I'm still going into the office but my wife (RDH) was laid off so shes with these little bastards 24/7.
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

EmpirE231

Reaction score
weird... my wife is actually enjoying it, saying it's fairly easy... and considering doing it even when school goes back in session.

definitely challenging, and will be some yelling / straightening out going on, but in the long run... IF your home is a solid foundation, I would think it would teach your children a lot better life / behavioral lessons in life. Especially in the elementary days.

endobear

Reaction score
Yep.The 2 days we did before the kids spring break was eye opening. Tuff with everything going on. Yesterday SUCKED.
Thought my wife was going to kill us all in our sleep last night. Lots of issues.
Today was better.
She works from home and her boss gave her a week to get her program dialed. I'm extra busy and self employed. Trying to help as much as possible.
10 year old twins that go to different schools just started to suck extra 👎

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I can't imagine, all of ours are out except for the youngest in college.

Side note, I heard Gov. Gruesome on the radio today and he was going on about how tough it is to home school and he knows from experience as he has four young children.

I'm driving down the freeway calling bullshit on this asshat! (Essential const. worker here) I'd like to know how many housekeepers, nanny's etc this puke has to help out. What a fucking joke it is for him to dare to try and compare his daily life during this to the regular family trying to make it through this.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I can't imagine, all of ours are out except for the youngest in college.

Side note, I heard Gov. Gruesome on the radio today and he was going on about how tough it is to home school and he knows from experience as he has four young children.

I'm driving down the freeway calling bullshit on this asshat! (Essential const. worker here) I'd like to know how many housekeepers, nanny's etc this puke has to help out. What a fucking joke it is for him to dare to try and compare his daily life during this to the regular family trying to make it through this.

fuck that guy

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I told my wife about this thread...she was laughing. She's a teacher, and we have three kids at home. She's doing good with our three, but she's been texting and talking with all her students parents. Shifted to teacher teacher. It's also weird, seeing what parents want help, schoolwork and extra activities, and which parents don't seem to want to put in the effort. Luckily, she only has a couple of them.

She'd appreciate a raise though ;)

Edit: she's a teacher in Az, doesn't make near Ca teacher wages...tradeoff for moving stateside 😥

Singleton

Reaction score
On week 3, have 10 more to go
Carlsbad is assigning 4-5 hours of education a day I need to get my daughter through

going to be a full on drunk when this is over

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
So today was RD’s first day. I had 4 home inspections this morning and things were crazy. He told me that he had it all handled. 3 different zoom appointments each day and our Christian school is doing their best to load us with work and assure us they are worth the tuition they continue to bill. I got home and they had done 1/15th of their work for the day...he thought they were all done!
My kitchen table looks like a bomb hit it. Real Estate is crazy busy and I don’t have extra time for 6 hours of homeschooling. I’m not sure how we will survive until May 21 at this rate to be honest.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
We've always home schooled our children so there's nothing different in our house except for me being here. I've been told that I get in the way. Wife has handled four kids in different grades throughout life. Substantially farther ahead than the school system.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We've always home schooled our children so there's nothing different in our house except for me being here. I've been told that I get in the way. Wife has handled four kids in different grades throughout life. Substantially farther ahead than the school system.
I would have to say that "substantially" may depend on the school system of which you speak. My daughter was not home schooled, not even private school, and yet finished second year calculus (at the local college) last year as a high school sophomore. There are different kids, and different schools.

In the interest of full disclosure, my wife has been a school teacher for 20 years. I had decent SAT scores...but dropped out of college to turn wrenches and swing hammers. It takes all kinds.

The success, I feel, lay in the minds of the children. Your wife may be a great teacher, but probably pretty good chance she has/had good students as well ;)

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So today was RD’s first day. I had 4 home inspections this morning and things were crazy. He told me that he had it all handled. 3 different zoom appointments each day and our Christian school is doing their best to load us with work and assure us they are worth the tuition they continue to bill. I got home and they had done 1/15th of their work for the day...he thought they were all done!
My kitchen table looks like a bomb hit it. Real Estate is crazy busy and I don’t have extra time for 6 hours of homeschooling. I’m not sure how we will survive until May 21 at this rate to be honest.

And this guy wants to be mayor?? :)

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I would have to say that "substantially" may depend on the school system of which you speak. My daughter was not home schooled, not even private school, and yet finished second year calculus (at the local college) last year as a high school sophomore. There are different kids, and different schools.

In the interest of full disclosure, my wife has been a school teacher for 20 years. I had decent SAT scores...but dropped out of college to turn wrenches and swing hammers. It takes all kinds.

The success, I feel, lay in the minds of the children. Your wife may be a great teacher, but probably pretty good chance she has/had good students as well ;)

Claremont was supposedly one of the best districts.

True. Good students and parents that hold them accountable. I play softball with a bunch of guys who I met when our daughter's all played softball and soccer together. At the time of one conversation, my kids were learning two grades ahead of them. They don't get held back in this learning environment and can keep excelling with the opportunity they take. The lowest denominator in the classroom is themselves. My wife went to school to be a teacher but ended up just teaching our own. She teaches as their Friday co-op as well for more formalized learning.

I don't take anything away from kids at public school. I went there and I've turned out decent. And now I'm a board member as well.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
If it was school of xbox, I would have a genius on my hands. :p

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Stay strong!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I swear my kids are getting assigned double the work they normally get. Between teaching and working the trips to the beer fridge are getting earlier and more frequent.

McKay

Reaction score
I wish they would just call the summer break now. Then when the dust settles have them go finish the school year in the summer.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I wish they would just call the summer break now. Then when the dust settles have them go finish the school year in the summer.
I think the teachers would all have a conniption fit if they had to work through this summer. 🤣

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think the teachers would all have a conniption fit if they had to work through this summer. 🤣
My wife would be ok with it...if the river was closed too. That's the best part of teaching, "river break".

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
would totally F Seniors in HS and the admissions into college
Some kids have already at this point been accepted, and scholarships already promised. The problem for some, the later SAT was already cancelled, and rumors of the fall one as well. It could be really bad for the ones hoping to improve their test scores. That said, I believe here in Az they already called it a year. Home school for the remainder. Hard on the parents and the kids, that's for sure. I don't think it's harder on the teachers, just really different depending on the teacher and school. My wife always equates teaching kinder to herding cats. She'd much rather do that, than herd parents. The family dynamics come into play big time. She has multiple kids with time split between houses. Instead of one kid that needs help, there can be 4 parents.

Singleton

Reaction score
Some kids have already at this point been accepted, and scholarships already promised. The problem for some, the later SAT was already cancelled, and rumors of the fall one as well. It could be really bad for the ones hoping to improve their test scores. That said, I believe here in Az they already called it a year. Home school for the remainder. Hard on the parents and the kids, that's for sure. I don't think it's harder on the teachers, just really different depending on the teacher and school. My wife always equates teaching kinder to herding cats. She'd much rather do that, than herd parents. The family dynamics come into play big time. She has multiple kids with time split between houses. Instead of one kid that needs help, there can be 4 parents.

yep
bigger adjustment for me and wife, who are still working full time jobs from home. Adding in 4-5 hours of online and home education has impacted the family schedule.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
In my defense yesterday I didn’t have the assignment lists and each kid had a worksheet or two..

I was thinking maybe they were breaking us in easy. Lol. I didn’t know about the piles of work until later that day.

Today there has been a lot of yelling. I hate yelling.. I guess it’s better than the alternative of just straight beating them into submission.

In my head I always imagined home schooling being a fun thing and kids advancing past there peers.. It was actually kind of a dream at one point that I’m quickly is becoming a nightmare reality..

Any tips would be appreciated

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
All I know is what my wife has told me. Your kids being the ages they are, it may or may not be helpful. A kid will test you, mine do, and Lord knows I tested my parents. My wife says every kid has a "carrot". There is something they will do tasks for. Some kids it can be as simple as time to draw, others play video games. Some kids just want an "attaboy".

Don't lose your cool. Raised voices let them know you're wounded. They smell fear also. My wife is one of those that can calmly, quietly, shift the kids' gears.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Been going fairly easy here.
Do your school work or empty and load the dishwasher.
Do your school work or vacuum the house.
Do your school work or pick up the dog shit.
Do your school work or clean your room.

This house is Focking spotless.
I'm thinking about the garage next. :p

HitIt

Reaction score
Any tips would be appreciated

Make a routine, print it out, tape it to the fridge, and stick to it. Modify as needed. Kids thrive on routines. That is why the school day isn't freestyle. When kids know what to expect and you aren't just barking out random orders, they are more willing to do the work. It gives them a sense of control because they know what to expect and it gives you something to point at when shit goes sideways.

Don't do any one thing for more than 20 minutes or so. The kids will just get frustrated. Either revisit later or dump it altogether. You cant really dump something like math because you continue to build on it. Something like social studies... f it. Let the teachers deal with it later.

Remember that it is ok to fail. Some days are going to go better than others. Sometimes you need to give up and a watch a movie with some popcorn.

Preview the work that you are going to give them so that if they ask questions, you know the answers. This is hard because it requires extra work on your part.

Set up a space for the kids to do the work if you have room. It should have few distractions but all of the supplies that they need to get their work done.

Last edited: