WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home School

Tom Slick

Reaction score
Any of you home school your kids? Or been home schooled yourself? Good, bad, experiences? Thoughts?

Backlash

Reaction score
My ex-wife and I home-schooled my oldest son from start to finish. He is a brilliant young man and he would have never been challenged attending public school. I see both sides of the argument, but for us at the time, it worked out well. We instituted other activities throughout the week including boy scouts, sports, martial arts, etc. to keep him involved with other children his age. He earned his Eagle Scout and promoted up to brown belt before finding out he enjoyed spending time with friends and girls.

My younger son attended public school, and I think that was beneficial for him. He too is a brilliant young man and he is looking towards a career in coding or some other aspect of computer engineering.

People will give you all sorts of reasons why you should or shouldn't home school. Your kids may get teased by those who attend public school, but we found that to be minimal. Keeping your kids involved in other activities will prevent them from being socially awkward and will give them communication skills they will need later in life. It's a lot of work and there are some sacrifices that are made, but if it's something your child will benefit from, do it.

Good luck!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Well be either home schooling, or private school, when my kid becomes of age.

Some friends in DC pooled their resources together with other parents, and they literally hired a teacher to school their kids. The $1k/month each parent pays is money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I did not homeschool my own children, but I have really good friends who are homeschooling both of their kids. Their daughter is 11 and their son is 7. Both kids are super bright, and really well rounded good kids. They keep them super busy with outside activities. Surf clubs, some sort of summer camps, and they also have some group of parents/kids where they all get together throughout the week.

I always thought it was for "weird" kids, but they have definitely changed my mind, and the added bonus, is they aren't being fed all this BS that the kids in school seem to be getting exposed to.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

Some friends in DC pooled their resources together with other parents, and they literally hired a teacher to school their kids. The $1k/month each parent pays is money well spent.

That’s a great idea

Tom Slick

Reaction score

We did this last year because of the uncertainty with the school district and Covid. We had 6 kids from 1st grade to 8th grade in our neighbors bonus room. We hired a teacher to over see there online schooling and provide additional studies in between online classes. It had it's pros and cons, but helped us navigate last year and kept our kids on target and out of masks.

We were hopeful that this coming school year would be back to normal, but unfortunately the powers that be are ramping up the Covid restrictions and masking once again. My daughter (2nd grade) really wants to go back to school, but we have a reservations about the masks, restrictions and curriculum. With everything going on in the world, we feel that she maybe better off being home schooled for awhile until this BS blows over.

Meaney77

Reaction score
We did this last year because of the uncertainty with the school district and Covid. We had 6 kids from 1st grade to 8th grade in our neighbors bonus room. We hired a teacher to over see there online schooling and provide additional studies in between online classes. It had it's pros and cons, but helped us navigate last year and kept our kids on target and out of masks.

We were hopeful that this coming school year would be back to normal, but unfortunately the powers that be are ramping up the Covid restrictions and masking once again. My daughter (2nd grade) really wants to go back to school, but we have a reservations about the masks, restrictions and curriculum. With everything going on in the world, we feel that she maybe better off being home schooled for awhile until this BS blows over.

We struggle with this as well with my 3 girls age 9, 7, and 5. They didn't learn shit last year the way the classes were structured with 3 hours a day in school and the rest in front of a computer. We hired a teacher friend to come over each week over summer to work with them because we felt like the fell behind last year.

We both work full time and its tough to stay on top off all of the curriculum, assignments, and homework. We looked into private schools as well but I think I would have to start selling body parts to afford all 3 of them going to a private school.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
We struggle with this as well with my 3 girls age 9, 7, and 5. They didn't learn shit last year the way the classes were structured with 3 hours a day in school and the rest in front of a computer. We hired a teacher friend to come over each week over summer to work with them because we felt like the fell behind last year.

We both work full time and its tough to stay on top off all of the curriculum, assignments, and homework. We looked into private schools as well but I think I would have to start selling body parts to afford all 3 of them going to a private school.
I feel ya. Thankfully our daughter didn't seem to fall behind, at least we hope. Our little guy (5) goes to a private Christian Pre-school, so he is good to go and he may do kindergarten there as well. My daughter was lucky enough to get into the local Charter elementary school and they have held her spot through last year when she didn't attend in person. If we pull her again they will revoke her spot. Trying to navigate this mess we are in with little ones is a struggle. We want what's best for them and the powers that be are trying to destroy the public school experience.

Since my wife will likely be fired over the vaccine mandate, she will be home more, so now thinking of home schooling until the dust settles. We considered private school, but the cost is insane and the wait lists to get in are long.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I did homeschool when I got kicked out of 8th grade. It wasn’t working out so my parents put me in private school. I really really like the idea of homeschool for my kids, but my wife’s best friend homeschools there 4 kids and you can really see a difference in socializing. Not that it matters but it’s 3 girls and 1 boy. The 8 year old boy acts very very feminine. To the point they’ve asked my wife to take my 3 boys over a few times a week to do boy stuff. That’s all I really got.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Actually I’ll add I do private school for all the boys. It’s 700 a month for each so homeschool would be a lot cheaper.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Yup. Have homeschooled all four kids since the beginning. So when COVID hit, the only thing that changed was me working from home. They are way farther along than all our friends kids who are the same age at public schools Because they get to keep learning and not wait for the lowest denominator in class to get where they’re at.

homeschool kids aren’t like the kids of the past. We have our kids in so many different activities from dance, golf, baseball, church, and so many other things that they are very well socialized.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
I homeschooled my son last year for fourth grade. I felt I could do a better job than the online program Clark county put together at the last minute. I did quite a bit of research before selecting curriculum. Clark County has no homeschool program. You are completely on your own and get to select and teach whatever you want. There were a couple books I tried and didn’t like and ended purchasing different ones.

I’ll be honest, it was harder than I expected and I have a really good kid. There were just days when he would not focus and do his work.

The good part was I could make my own schedule and we didn’t do school on Fridays since my husband is on 4/10s and has Fridays off. We were able to go on several 3 day trips that I feel were more valuable.

Overall, I think it was worth it. He learned a lot and I feel he is farther along than the public school kids his age. I would just recommend extracurricular activities where the kids have interaction with other kids.

We signed him up for private school for this year because my son said he wanted to be with other kids. Now the governor has reinstated the mask mandate and we refuse to have our son wear a mask all day. So now I get to try and get out of the contract that I signed with the school and get my money back. Wish me luck, I don’t think they will let us out of it easily.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I homeschooled my son last year for fourth grade. I felt I could do a better job than the online program Clark county put together at the last minute. I did quite a bit of research before selecting curriculum. Clark County has no homeschool program. You are completely on your own and get to select and teach whatever you want. There were a couple books I tried and didn’t like and ended purchasing different ones.

I’ll be honest, it was harder than I expected and I have a really good kid. There were just days when he would not focus and do his work.

The good part was I could make my own schedule and we didn’t do school on Fridays since my husband is on 4/10s and has Fridays off. We were able to go on several 3 day trips that I feel were more valuable.

Overall, I think it was worth it. He learned a lot and I feel he is farther along than the public school kids his age. I would just recommend extracurricular activities where the kids have interaction with other kids.

We signed him up for private school for this year because my son said he wanted to be with other kids. Now the governor has reinstated the mask mandate and we refuse to have our son wear a mask all day. So now I get to try and get out of the contract that I signed with the school and get my money back. Wish me luck, I don’t think they will let us out of it easily.
That’s why we went private. Our kids school has said they will not enforce masks.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
That’s why we went private. Our kids school has said they will not enforce masks.
I wish. Ours sent out a letter that they will be following all guidelines. I’m pretty disappointed in them and wondering if they are getting money from the state or something.

TCHB

Reaction score
I wish. Ours sent out a letter that they will be following all guidelines. I’m pretty disappointed in them and wondering if they are getting money from the state or something.
My granddaughter goes to a excellent private school. Henderson International and yes all last year they did not miss a day masks required. Oh yes it is pricey! 22k. Mater Dei in Orange County is only $17K. That is a deal! I

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
My granddaughter goes to a excellent private school. Henderson International and yes all last year they did not miss a day masks required. Oh yes it is pricey! 22k. Mater Dei in Orange County is only $17K. That is a deal! I
That’s a ridiculous amount of money. I’m paying half that for his school.

gqchris

Reaction score
My Daughter goes to St Bonaventure, which is Mater Dei's feeder school basically. And its priced at 12k a year. I don't think I can swing another 5k in 2 years when she is high school ready!

She was fulltime in session last year, but stupid fucking masks. Im sure it will be the same again.

When I married my wife, my stepdaughter was in 2nd grade and failing. She is now 7th grade and an A Student! That goes to show you how private school can change their world!

TCHB

Reaction score
My Daughter goes to St Bonaventure, which is Mater Dei's feeder school basically. And its priced at 12k a year. I don't think I can swing another 5k in 2 years when she is high school ready!

She was fulltime in session last year, but stupid fucking masks. Im sure it will be the same again.

When I married my wife, my stepdaughter was in 2nd grade and failing. She is now 7th grade and an A Student! That goes to show you how private school can change their world!
St. Bonaventure is a good school and yes lots of kids go to Mater Dei. My daughters went to Peguses in HB and most of her graduating 8th grade class went to private Boarding schools Which were twice the price of Mater Dei.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Pulled my youngest last year in NC due to covid fuckery. Bas politics exists everywhere. Home school was best. Hoping for normal next year

endobear

Reaction score
We are on the fence. The remote deal last year had its benifits.

Attachments

• 20210407_100250.jpg
    20210407_100250.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 25

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
We home schooled all three all the way thru, my younger two attended Calvary High School to play sports but only took a few classes and were still working with my wife at home. Great experience as noted above keep them involved in outside activities etc. The great thing is you can do school any place, I remember one time the three of them sitting at a pic nic table at Big Bend, and I was pacing around because we couldn't go on the water until they finished their work. Ill never forget coming back from the Grand Canyon and my oldest was playing the trombone and had to practice x minutes a day... we are cruising down the 40, he is in the middle seat of the Suburban and that dam slide is moving back and forth between my wife and I, all we could do was laugh. Pulled in to get gas, guy next to me is looking all over for this noise and then he sees my son in the truck, he looks at me and cracks up and walks away. Great memories, never knowing how many kids would be at the house when I got home, I loved it... Told a client one time I was sleeping with my Kids teacher, that was pretty funny...

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
We home schooled our 5th grader last year. The private school we’re in wanted the same $9K per year for distance learning last year, so we figured if one of us needed to be here all day to babysit, might as well buy the abecca program for a few hundred bucks and do it ourselves. Krystal tag teamed with another mom from the school and her daughter and it worked out pretty good, all things considered.

6th grade this year, which is a bit more involved so he’s going back….we’ll see what happens.

copterzach

Reaction score
Both of ours go to a private Catholic school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk