WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home stereo guys.....

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
My house is has speakers in the master bedroom, patio and 2 sets in the living room. I have been looking for a amp/receiver to run everything off and on for a wile now. Currently we have a small desk top radio hooked up and it works but there are no audio inputs. I was out running errands today and swung through the Goodwill, don't laugh untill you see what I found! I don't have the budget to buy new so I think outside the box. On top of that, every other Saturday is half off, that would be tomorrow. Which of these 2 would be the better buy? Both under $20 tomorrow. My dad has had Yamaha av stuff for the last 25 years and its still working.
IMG_20171215_122730036.jpg
IMG_20171215_122713032.jpg

500bbc

Reaction score
I've been rocking a Yamaha CR 600 for 40 years, rocks the garage now.:D

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
If you have the $$$ ditch all that old junk.

I have the Sonos system. Wireless, with speakers where ever I want them

The system complete is kind of spendy, but I have the music library on the Network Attached Storage (NAS) and I can control it from anywhere in the house on my iPhone/iPad computer. It sounds great, is very stable and a breeze to setup. And it will blow your ears out if you want it to.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
The house was built in 99, I think the old stuff will work just fine with my other older stuff lol

I thought about it and I really don't care about the bluetooth stuff. I just want to not rely on the TV speakers cause they sound like garbage. Also having a smart TV I have Sirius and Pandora on the TV. Run that audio to the receiver and then through the whole house. ;)

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Yami for sure. Just pick it up, that will tell you.
Get a Bluetooth adapter for input.
I hit GW treasure hunting sometimes also. Used to buy oddball cocktail party glass ware.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Yami for sure. Just pick it up, that will tell you.
Get a Bluetooth adapter for input.
I hit GW treasure hunting sometimes also. Used to buy oddball cocktail party glass ware.

I do the same I'm always amazed at what I find

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
The Yamaha is the one you need. I don't know if I would wait for Saturday because I think it will do everything you want it to. It supports 6.1 surround so you can have a front and rear center channel for movies and has the better processor with DTS EX. It puts out 85w per channel so it has enough power to power most speakers. If you just wanted to use it for music and not tv I would run the Yamaha in the living room put the patio speakers on the front B channel and hook the 2 front living room speakers up to the A channel. Put the back 2 living room speakers on the surround channel and put the bedroom speakers on the front and rear center channels. It will power all of your speakers rather nicely. I need to swing by my local goodwill. My wife will love that I came home with more audio crap.

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
The Yamaha is the one you need. I don't know if I would wait for Saturday because I think it will do everything you want it to. It supports 6.1 surround so you can have a front and rear center channel for movies and has the better processor with DTS EX. It puts out 85w per channel so it has enough power to power most speakers. If you just wanted to use it for music and not tv I would run the Yamaha in the living room put the patio speakers on the front B channel and hook the 2 front living room speakers up to the A channel. Put the back 2 living room speakers on the surround channel and put the bedroom speakers on the front and rear center channels. It will power all of your speakers rather nicely. I need to swing by my local goodwill. My wife will love that I came home with more audio crap.

Awesome!

Living room has 2 speakers in the wall that the TV is on and 2 in the ceiling above the couch. Patio is 2 overhead and master is 2 overhead center. The TV in the master has a sound bar so I'm not as worried about that sound quality. I do want to rock music anywhere though

I love this place, all walks of life come to freely give advice!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Awesome!

Living room has 2 speakers in the wall that the TV is on and 2 in the ceiling above the couch. Patio is 2 overhead and master is 2 overhead center. The TV in the master has a sound bar so I'm not as worried about that sound quality. I do want to rock music anywhere though

I love this place, all walks of life come to freely give advice!

The only problem with my suggested set up is that you wont be able to really use it for home theatre as the center channels will be playing in the bedroom. I would actually pick up both of them. Put the Technics in the bedroom and put the Yamaha in the living room and pick up a center channel for the living room. But if all you want to do is music then go the route I suggested.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
The only problem with my suggested set up is that you wont be able to really use it for home theatre as the center channels will be playing in the bedroom. I would actually pick up both of them. Put the Technics in the bedroom and put the Yamaha in the living room and pick up a center channel for the living room. But if all you want to do is music then go the route I suggested.
All the wiring for the speakers terminate in the living room. I'm ok without have the true theater sound, no subs anyways.
Thanks again, I'll update tomorrow

cofooter

Reaction score
Love those old school receivers. You can't buy anything like that these days, and they last forever. I bought my river house one at the thrift shop and still going strong. Yamaha for sure.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Never had Yamaha stuff, but I do have a Technics rack system that I bought brand new in 1991 that my wife banished to the garage. It still works great and rattles the windows the same as it did 26 years ago.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Yamaha.
Run main room with spkr A. Add center speaker, sub.
Run patio, m/b off B. Should only be 1 pr but Yamaha Amps pretty tough. Or find an impedance matching spkr selector to switch patio and m/b independently, even better with separate volume controls.
Or buy both, use Yamaha for surround in living room and technics for patio and m/b on a/b then you can have diff volume in other rooms.
Or buy a new Yamaha multi zone with musicast that can be run fro your patio on your phone. And add wireless musicast speakers wherever whenever you want... But it won't be $20

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Yamaha.
Run main room with spkr A. Add center speaker, sub.
Run patio, m/b off B. Should only be 1 pr but Yamaha Amps pretty tough. Or find an impedance matching spkr selector to switch patio and m/b independently, even better with separate volume controls.
Or buy both, use Yamaha for surround in living room and technics for patio and m/b on a/b then you can have diff volume in other rooms.
Or buy a new Yamaha multi zone with musicast that can be run fro your patio on your phone. And add wireless musicast speakers wherever whenever you want... But it won't be $20

Volume control is easy, every room/zone has its own knob on the wall.

I'm in the middle of hooking everything up, I'll report back

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Get another speaker selector switch and separate your b channel to outside inside. Check you impedance on the amp. My onkyo would go 2 ohms.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Does anybody bother to repair this kind of equipment anymore? I’m assuming it would be cost prohibitive but I’ve got an old Yamaha I would like to have looked at, any recommendations?

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Sooooooooo.......

I knew it was a gamble when I bought it but for $20 I'm not crying. Something is messed up and it turns it's self off. First time probably ran an hour or so then shorter intervals. Receiver turns on and before the amp "clicks on" the receiver turns off.

My dad has actually had his repaired and it needs it again and he says he has a guy. I'm headed to see him before new years and he told me to bring it out and we'll get both of them fixed.

You should have seen the line to get into the Goodwill this morning lol! I didn't intend to get up and get there first thing this morning but I'm glad I did. As I was checking out, the guy behind me had the Technics in his cart

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Does anybody bother to repair this kind of equipment anymore? I’m assuming it would be cost prohibitive but I’ve got an old Yamaha I would like to have looked at, any recommendations?

Yes, my dad has someone in the SFV/SCV. I can work on getting contact info if you are near by.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Yes, my dad has someone in the SFV/SCV. I can work on getting contact info if you are near by.
Hey Ryan, would you have room to take another one with you? If so p.m. me your address or I could drop it off at George’s house, but I’m not sure if he knows where your new house is. I’m over on the northside North Palo Verde.
No biggie if you’ve got a full load.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Hey Ryan, would you have room to take another one with you? If so p.m. me your address or I could drop it off at George’s house, but I’m not sure if he knows where your new house is. I’m over on the northside North Palo Verde.
No biggie if you’ve got a full load.
Shouldn't be a problem. Dad thinks he'll be out mid Feb. As long as there is no rush I'll send it with ours.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Sooooooooo.......

I knew it was a gamble when I bought it but for $20 I'm not crying. Something is messed up and it turns it's self off. First time probably ran an hour or so then shorter intervals. Receiver turns on and before the amp "clicks on" the receiver turns off.

My dad has actually had his repaired and it needs it again and he says he has a guy. I'm headed to see him before new years and he told me to bring it out and we'll get both of them fixed.

You should have seen the line to get into the Goodwill this morning lol! I didn't intend to get up and get there first thing this morning but I'm glad I did. As I was checking out, the guy behind me had the Technics in his cart

Try it with speakers unhooked if multiple pairs, impedence could be to low putting it in protection mode.
Most repair shops will start well over a $100, usually not worth it on a 3-$400 receiver. Maybe "his guy" works cheap.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Try it with speakers unhooked if multiple pairs, impedence could be to low putting it in protection mode.
Most repair shops will start well over a $100, usually not worth it on a 3-$400 receiver. Maybe "his guy" works cheap.
One pair hooked up, just the surrounds. I'll try in the garage with nothing hooked.

I believe dad's guy works from home as a side gig.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I think I just bought something here, but I don't know what it is .

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
That Technics receiver brought back some memories.