WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Honda Talon

pixrthis

Reaction score
Our filter got that dirty in 1,100 miles.
I’m changing the filter after 1000 miles or so. Prefilters every few hundred depending on use.
I think a week in Mammoth was hard on our filter, the dust up there is really fine. I started researching and they recommend a partical separator for the car. I might just change the filter more often, I’d prefer not to clutter the car up with more stuff.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Our filter got that dirty in 1,100 miles.

I think a week in Mammoth was hard on our filter, the dust up there is really fine. I started researching and they recommend a partical separator for the car. I might just change the filter more often, I’d prefer not to clutter the car up with more stuff.

Same reason I just went with prefilters as well. I did this on my old rzr for 5000 miles. And it looked really good when I had the head off.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
A pre filter is recommended for our car so I’m going to put one on it. How often are you cleaning or changing your filter after adding a pre filter?

I cleaned the filters on my quads after every trip. Easy to do with K&N filters.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
My filter will stay pristine as long as I’m not following other cars. One ride in a group, and it looks like LOFs filter above. If I’ve been riding in a pack, I’ll pull the filter and clean it out after every ride. Riding solo, or leading, I’ll check it every few hundred miles.

I plan on adding a particle separator here at some point. I was waiting on the S&B V2 fender mount to be released to make sure it is more effective than the V1.

pixrthis

Reaction score
I clean the filter on my bike every other ride. The Talon filter is not a washable and a pain to change but I’ll have to stock up on replacements and make it part of my program.
The manual calls for fluid changes at 1,200 miles, obviously filters need to be addressed more often.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I clean the filter on my bike every other ride. The Talon filter is not a washable and a pain to change but I’ll have to stock up on replacements and make it part of my program.
The manual calls for fluid changes at 1,200 miles, obviously filters need to be addressed more often.

It could be...

K&N HA-1019 Replacement Air Filter https://a.co/d/aARsc3K

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thanks I’ll pick one of these up

That oiled K&N filter will turn into a potato in half the time. I'd highly recommend against that.

I'd do this prefilter and lightly oil the foam. Find more foam and cut yourself a bunch of prefilters.

Last edited:

pixrthis

Reaction score
That oiled K&N filter will turn into a potato in half the time. I'd highly recommend against that.

I'd do this prefilter and lightly oil the foam. Find more foam and cut yourself a bunch of prefilters.

That looks like a great idea

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use anything from K&N in a really dusty environment. They let too much dirt through the filter.

Stay with an OEM paper filter, and maybe add a pre-filter.

Here is what happens with K&N's...

People dry em with compressed air, after they clean em, and blow the fibers apart.

Treat em right and they last a Long time. I finally had to replace the one on my F350, cause the base rubber was starting to split.

The silt in Mammoth is BAD. I've had to clean it out of everything i own, including my generator filter! But that one I just replaced. 😜

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Here is what happens with K&N's...

People dry em with compressed air, after they clean em, and blow the fibers apart.

Treat em right and they last a Long time. I finally had to replace the one on my F350, cause the base rubber was starting to split.

The silt in Mammoth is BAD. I've had to clean it out of everything i own, including my generator filter! But that one I just replaced. 😜

He said they don't filter well enough... He's correct. They turn into a porous dirt collector.

Cleaning an oiled filter on a multi day trip sucks.

Use a good dry filter, use lightly oiled disposable or washable foam prefilters, move on with life.

Or run a particle separator.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I did this to mine...

IMG-8650.jpg