WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Honda Talon

pixrthis

Reaction score
Does anybody on RDP have one? We picked up a 1000R for my wife and I don’t expect her to whomp it that hard. Besides seatbelts what should I plan on upgrading or adding?

DLC

Reaction score
Shock springs are one if the best additions

intercom / radio - helmets or headsets depending on where your at

if you add on a lot of electrical stuff - lights & whips, rear facing amber light, GPS, helmet blower, heated seats etc etc

get a “ switch pro “switch set up

pixrthis

Reaction score
Shock springs are one if the best additions

intercom / radio - helmets or headsets depending on where your at

if you add on a lot of electrical stuff - lights & whips, rear facing amber light, GPS, helmet blower, heated seats etc etc

get a “ switch pro “switch set up
Thank You

Reactions: DLC

pixrthis

Reaction score
C3D74CE0-77B4-4C86-BD4A-27E6175EC266.jpeg
D610EF8C-E962-4DBF-9E2E-1326C62FD4B1.jpeg
A sidewall puncture moved wheels and tires up the list which in turn made the ride a bit harsh for my taste so suspension is probably going to happen before cage but running a stock cage makes me nervous.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

pixrthis

Reaction score
I'm having a real hard time NOT picking up a live valve R. Every review I've read has been stellar...

I'm thinking some 5 points belts and just run it!

The $900 I spent at Weller Racing to redo the valving on the shocks has been the best money spent so far and I’d say it’s a must. The car in general is typical Honda quality and even if it’s not the fastest it keeps up with the pack in real world desert riding. We drive it mid to full throttle most of the time but it crawls really well also. I even towed a Baja bug from Husky Monument to 395, none of the other cars were volunteering to do it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The $900 I spent at Weller Racing to redo the valving on the shocks has been the best money spent so far and I’d say it’s a must. The car in general is typical Honda quality and even if it’s not the fastest it keeps up with the pack in real world desert riding. We drive it mid to full throttle most of the time but it crawls really well also. I even towed a Baja bug from Husky Monument to 395, none of the other cars were volunteering to do it.
Of course not. They would fry the little rubber bands they run on!

I've never seen Any type of off road vehicle (motorcycle, quad, SxS) that did not need some kind of shock upgrade. It's pretty much the first thing you do!

This is why I want to go with the Fox live valve deal. It's either spend 2k in shock upgrades or 2k for this option. It does so much more that just affect the shock valving. Anti-dive and anti-roll included.

Please keep posting stories about how you like yours. I'm really interested in this particular car.

Thanks! 👍🏼

An extended warranty will be in the works also! 😜

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Does anybody on RDP have one? We picked up a 1000R for my wife and I don’t expect her to whomp it that hard. Besides seatbelts what should I plan on upgrading or adding?

Came across this...

pixrthis

Reaction score
Came across this...

Thanks for that, here’s a pretty cool video about a guy racing one and only upgrading as he finds necessary.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Of course not. They would fry the little rubber bands they run on!

I've never seen Any type of off road vehicle (motorcycle, quad, SxS) that did not need some kind of shock upgrade. It's pretty much the first thing you do!

This is why I want to go with the Fox live valve deal. It's either spend 2k in shock upgrades or 2k for this option. It does so much more that just affect the shock valving. Anti-dive and anti-roll included.

Please keep posting stories about how you like yours. I'm really interested in this particular car.

Thanks! 👍🏼

An extended warranty will be in the works also! 😜

If you spend the money for the Live Valve you’ll be redoing the shocks as well.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I do have a nit pick after looking at this again.. the cooler is too far away 😜

pixrthis

Reaction score
I do have a nit pick after looking at this again.. the cooler is too far away 😜
I agree and the spare tire that I need to order goes behind the cooler making it even harder to reach. The punishment cans take where it is now made us not put it in the very back. Watching Shock Therapy’s video about where the trailing arm mounts in relationship to CG made me not worry about hanging weight off the back.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I agree and the spare tire that I need to order goes behind the cooler making it even harder to reach. The punishment cans take where it is now made us not put it in the very back. Watching Shock Therapy’s video about where the trailing arm mounts in relationship to CG made me not worry about hanging weight off the back.

Agree. The car will handle better for it for sure.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
If you spend the money for the Live Valve you’ll be redoing the shocks as well.

Been talking to a few people about the shocks on my Talon, which is non-live valve...they have told me that if you are going to keep it stock that live valve makes sense because its better then non-live valve...BUT they said that if you plan on doing any type of suspension work to it, which they all need, then live valve is a waste of money...

I am just relaying what I was told...my suspension still sucks....LOL

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Been talking to a few people about the shocks on my Talon, which is non-live valve...they have told me that if you are going to keep it stock that live valve makes sense because its better then non-live valve...BUT they said that if you plan on doing any type of suspension work to it, which they all need, then live valve is a waste of money...

This is where many of us are at with the tech available to us today. The Live Valve is decent 80% of the time. The LV has a smaller “adjustment range”. All you can do as a driver is pick a mode. The car does the rest. If you are willing to have your shocks and bypass tubes redone a few times.. it has the potential be better overall but you are chasing it, and you still only have those couple adjustments.

Or you can have dumb shocks redone once, be in the ballpark and just turn the knobs yourself and dial it in. And yes you may be out of adjustment when the terrain changes, but you turn knobs a couple clicks and off you go.

Again, everyone is free to buy what is best for them but if you like to tinker and have off-road experience upgraded dumb shocks are not a bad way to go and you save a few bucks.

This may change in just a handful more years as these smart shock systems get better.

Reactions: DWC

pixrthis

Reaction score

From what I’ve read, getting the shocks revalved, in non live valve version, and resprung is the best mod you can do to the Talon. I had the same feeling about the car prior to having Weller go thru the shocks. The guy that does my dirt bike suspension did his sister’s Talon shocks and had great results so it must not be rocket science.

boatnam2

Reaction score
You got window nets so your miles ahead of most on the safety front. Cars are hard to drive without hands.

Rivrat

Reaction score
Have weller racing re valve/ new springs so you guys dont break your backs. Overall great sxs

Badchoices03

Reaction score
This is where many of us are at with the tech available to us today. The Live Valve is decent 80% of the time. The LV has a smaller “adjustment range”. All you can do as a driver is pick a mode. The car does the rest. If you are willing to have your shocks and bypass tubes redone a few times.. it has the potential be better overall but you are chasing it, and you still only have those couple adjustments.

Or you can have dumb shocks redone once, be in the ballpark and just turn the knobs yourself and dial it in. And yes you may be out of adjustment when the terrain changes, but you turn knobs a couple clicks and off you go.

Again, everyone is free to buy what is best for them but if you like to tinker and have off-road experience upgraded dumb shocks are not a bad way to go and you save a few bucks.

This may change in just a handful more years as these smart shock systems get better.

Yeah one dude actually said that the live valve "brain" actually fights the physical adjustments they make to shocks so it ends up in a shittier ride...said whenever they do any shock upgrades to live valve, they recommend disconnecting the system completely...

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Have weller racing re valve/ new springs so you guys dont break your backs. Overall great sxs

Yeah was leaning towards Weller, but I think I am going to end up going to SDi because they are local to me and they always have a booth posted up at the area I normally ride that will do free adjustments and fills for anyone running their products.

sdi.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah one dude actually said that the live valve "brain" actually fights the physical adjustments they make to shocks so it ends up in a shittier ride...said whenever they do any shock upgrades to live valve, they recommend disconnecting the system completely...

Yeesh..

pixrthis

Reaction score
We used the Talon for the first time with the new cage and spare, the valving still feels really good but I’m thinking the rear would benefit from a spring package. I didn’t do springs because Weller doesn’t do it for the Live Valve, they say they don’t get much feedback from their Honda customers but would like some so we will see what it leads to.
7E7525BA-6D04-4E22-A2CD-DD332D95D7CF.jpeg
63CC21A3-6BCD-4666-9AD2-3FB3CD3AA388.jpeg

pixrthis

Reaction score
IMG_6080.jpeg
IMG_6079.jpeg
We have lights, we have never driven the car at night but maybe we will now. Maybe

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We used the Talon for the first time with the new cage and spare, the valving still feels really good but I’m thinking the rear would benefit from a spring package. I didn’t do springs because Weller doesn’t do it for the Live Valve, they say they don’t get much feedback from their Honda customers but would like some so we will see what it leads to. View attachment 1192087 View attachment 1192089

Where were you at here?

I never off road at night. But that's just me.

pixrthis

Reaction score
IMG_6536.jpeg
IMG_6537.jpeg
I found a squatter’s nest while doing maintenance.Bought a Ratonator to eliminate future squatting. No renters rights here.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Ive never seen an air filter that dirty. You may want to look into some kind of pre-filter option. Thats gnarly.
Holy hell. I’m doing oil and filter in my can am today. I’ll post pics for comparison. That is the dirtiest filter I’ve ever seen.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Ive never seen an air filter that dirty. You may want to look into some kind of pre-filter option. Thats gnarly.

After a Peace Trail trip (750 miles in 5 days) this year and this is what my filter looked like. It was brand new when I started. This is why I run prefilters.

E4EF18F5-DCBF-4F00-A410-D135C079A726.jpeg

6CC3C5C7-3917-4222-B4AC-11CFB2B72DEC.jpeg

New:
579DAB4B-EF1F-493D-A77C-B0210969C62A.jpeg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That's not a Schiada air filter...

That one was actually used! 👍🏼

DLC

Reaction score
Great looking Talon

there we’re a couple on our last ride very reliable and like a little bit of weight on the back end! In my can am max I could run away from them in straight fast sections but they could catch me in tighter twisty sections… really great cars that are under rated!

The hard sided cooler bounces its contents - smashes ice and dents drink cans try a soft side cooler on top of a tool bag

pixrthis

Reaction score
Great looking Talon

there we’re a couple on our last ride very reliable and like a little bit of weight on the back end! In my can am max I could run away from them in straight fast sections but they could catch me in tighter twisty sections… really great cars that are under rated!

The hard sided cooler bounces its contents - smashes ice and dents drink cans try a soft side cooler on top of a tool bag
The only problem with a soft sided cooler for us is my wife wouldn’t have a place to put her stickers. You’re right about this one, it’s hard on its contents, we’ve had to switch to aluminum and plastic bottles. Regular cans don’t hold up.

Reactions: DLC

pixrthis

Reaction score

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
A pre filter is recommended for our car so I’m going to put one on it. How often are you cleaning or changing your filter after adding a pre filter?

I’m changing the filter after 1000 miles or so. Prefilters every few hundred depending on use.