WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Honest home build time in havasu?

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
Alright. So we bought a lot last year. Signed in may, closed in June with a local builder. We had some pretty decent lot improvements that were needed so I understand it has taken longer then expected. Now the slab will be done next week. What would be a reasonable time for completion, with out all the normal excuses, Covid etc. I am also in construction, have been for 20 years. I also have been a contractor for 10 years. I do not work on residential very much, therefore I am asking. I am a welding contractor in CA so mostly do structural and metal buildings. So I am aware of all the “normal” delays these days. Want to know if the time frame I was given is normal, starting to get a little frustrated……

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Alright. So we bought a lot last year. Signed in may, closed in June with a local builder. We had some pretty decent lot improvements that were needed so I understand it has taken longer then expected. Now the slab will be done next week. What would be a reasonable time for completion, with out all the normal excuses, Covid etc. I am also in construction, have been for 20 years. I also have been a contractor for 10 years. I do not work on residential very much, therefore I am asking. I am a welding contractor in CA so mostly do structural and metal buildings. So I am aware of all the “normal” delays these days. Want to know if the time frame I was given is normal, starting to get a little frustrated……
Can you pm me the builder? I might be able to give you some insight. So many factors here. Sq ft, finishes, pool, etc.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Sympathies to everyone who bought a lot in the last year or two and thought they would build a house with a 3% mortgage. In BHC in my neighborhood TONS of lots have been bought/sold in the last few years and only a few have been built. I met with the sales guy last summer at fox creek and he was pretty vague on the building timeline and cost so it wasn't really considered an option.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Couple of our neighbors are a year in and not even close. I think only a few builders in havasu can do it under a year. These are the guys that keep crews busy 100% of the time on their projects.

I was quoted 2 years 6 months ago for a custom build in the refuge. After hearing that we invested in something else.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
A lot depends on how many square feet we’re talking about.

Our 1800sf house just finished this month. Took about 9 months after the slab was poured. I learned that however long you think it’s going to take just double the time, lol. It was worth it in the end!!!

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Get ready to be DISAPPOINTED, then add 6 months to the agreed upon contract and yes its that bad.
NSF

Slick

Reaction score
Typically a year. Mine has all his own subs and did it in 5 months. He was quicker than the pool build😂

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
Gonna be 1300sq ft. With a sunk in rv and 2 car garage. The walls did take forever, so now I’m sitting at told time frame of 9 months. Seems to be about average. No pool, no extras really.

Roosky01

Reaction score
I’d be going bat shit crazy if it took that long! Shit gets built around here in less than 6 months with frost walls and full basements and shit.

Havalife

Reaction score
2 years ago I was doing 90 day (4 1/2 months) schedule from slab to move and doing 2 or 3 a month. Now with all the material challenges I am lucky to hit 110 days. Material shortage is as constant as price increases. A good example is cabinets went from 6 weeks to 21 weeks out along with a big price increase no notice at all, now they are at 12. I had houses ready for final but waiting on garage doors. Lets not even get started on appliances....

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Mine took 10 months from the time they poured the slab, and a lots,lots lots of fighting with them. They suck.

Roosky01

Reaction score
2 years ago I was doing 90 day (4 1/2 months) schedule from slab to move and doing 2 or 3 a month. Now with all the material challenges I am lucky to hit 110 days. Material shortage is as constant as price increases. A good example is cabinets went from 6 weeks to 21 weeks out along with a big price increase no notice at all, now they are at 12. I had houses ready for final but waiting on garage doors. Lets not even get started on appliances....
I kinda understand that, but with the fact firms are booked out till oblivion does that not allow them to have shit lined out even with the extended material timeframes? Extended material lead times should have no bearing on schedule if managed correctly based on a booked work progress schedule? The biggest issue to me would be dealing with pissed off customers that don't understand that they can't make any changes due to the impact to the schedule. That should be able to be taken care of in the contract phase though?

Sounds like a good Project Manager might be a good hire to mitigate most all the issues and would pay for himself in Spades? I've dealt with this shit my whole career, the only difference is that I had to deal in the realm of liquidated damages. Those contract terms tend to entice contractors to get shit done according to initial schedules. Lightening the bankroll in your pocket tends to force you to find another avenuee to solve a problem.

Just my $.02 😎

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
Could go on and on of why they are all behind. Guarantee 90% have taken on way more work then they can handle, but if people are still walking through the doors I highly doubt any work has been turned away. I get it. But need to be realistic w/ man power and capabilities.

Reactions: Wmc

Roosky01

Reaction score
Could go on and on of why they are all behind. Guarantee 90% have taken on way more work then they can handle, but if people are still walking through the doors I highly doubt any work has been turned away. I get it. But need to be realistic w/ man power and capabilities.
Yep. Nobody wants to turn down work, but the good contractors do and that's why the will remain around when all others are selling their shit for peanuts to make next month's mortgage in the future. Especially, in the current day and age of Google reviews. Same cycle just like clockwork.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
14 months
Two weeks
And 4 days

What do I get if I’m right ?

wet hull

Reaction score
Friends in Refuge for the min size requirement are at 2 years. 2.5 since signing contract. Almost done but so many mistakes by builder along the way. House is getting new stucco now as the job was so bad and wrong product/ color used to name 1 major item. They also went past their construction loan terms and now get to pay $1000 more a month with interest increase. Absolute nightmare for them.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
My build took 15 months from slab. I've seen other builders take 9 months from layout on their lot. Garage doors and blocks for walls are hard to get and take time. Good luck it is very stressful

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Building 2 houses next door…I kid you not, going on 2 fucking years! Still 6 months away I would say, workers show up on average once a week if that.
Just regular 1,500 square foot house with RV garage nothing special, what a joke.
Kinda funny too…Whenever the owner shows on a Saturday suddenly there’s a beehive of activity on Friday. Then back to no one around for weeks at a time.
FE02A5D7-ED49-4F9E-926B-F897C57969DA.jpeg

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
There’s an industry standard equation for getting a ballpark estimate.

You expectations (expressed in # of days) x 145%.

You can use the same equation for final costs by changing # of days to # of dollars.

Reactions: DWC

Tobester

Reaction score
1,500sqft home. We closed on our lot in September of 2020 and moved in beginning of April 2021. The construction/building climate in Havasu changed dramatically in 2021 till now and we feel very fortunate with our timing.

badgas

Reaction score
It will take longer than you want, cost more than you think and you won't be the exception. But you will be happy in the end when it's all done.

Our pool took 1 year and 1 day from dig to water in the pool. The big hold up was waiting 5 1/2 months for block to build walls on all three sides.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Just finished a 1000sqft casita. It took just shy of 1 year

Cobalt232

Reaction score
The place across from us in Sailing Hawks is at around the 13th month. Just got drywalled. Looks like stucco is going on next.

240Hallett

Reaction score
It looks like there are some specific items like cabinets, appliances, etc. that seem to hold up the process. Isn’t this something that you can just order early in the build so that they are in process?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Dude behind me on N Palo Verde is adding a deep garage…I see the workers about once a week maybe twice at most.
It was framed for weeks before it got walled. The started spraying exterior last week. I’d say it’s been maybe 5-6 months since I noticed the project started?

Reactions: DWC

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Dude behind me on N Palo Verde is adding a deep garage…I see the workers about once a week maybe twice at most.
It was framed for weeks before it got walled. The started spraying exterior last week. I’d say it’s been maybe 5-6 months since I noticed the project started?
I live on Nautilus just off N Palo Verde and made the same observation…looks like it will be a while

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
Well appreciate all the answers. Good news is im not alone in this situation, which I kinda figured. Bad news is. The nautical is going to get about 8k more of my dollars this year, payments going to be 1k more then when I signed, and the boat trailer will need new tires by the time the house is done. Lol.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I believe that we got lucky. I think our builder can keep subs busy full time.

We got under contract on a house with just the framing done in the beginning of March. Block wall is already in. Update on Friday was finish date should be sometime in August.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Talked to the painter on the house being built next door about time to complete. He informed me the high end custom homes are taking up to 3 years.

I think Hoover Dam took about 5 years?

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Talked we painter on the house being built next door about time to complete. He informed me the high end custom homes are taking up to 3 years.

I think Hoover Dam took about 5 years?

Probably cost about the same too.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
My build took about 9 months start to finish. Granted I’m still waiting for my garage doors and landscaping. Both of those will be completed by the end of the month.

Attachments

• A3DC42D2-A5B4-4DFD-9C6E-D9BB4D5C4431.jpeg
    A3DC42D2-A5B4-4DFD-9C6E-D9BB4D5C4431.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 62

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
My build took about 9 months start to finish. Granted I’m still waiting for my garage doors and landscaping. Both of those will be completed by the end of the month.
Wow. Must know somebody. Lol. That’s quick. Was the lot ready to build on?

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
Is everybody happy with their price? Long and slow save any money? 9 months start to finish, did it cost $225 sf?

Englewood

Reaction score
Several people I’ve spoken to have had nightmare builds recently. When the tide goes out these contractors will be begging for business.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
heres my last build... about 15 mo. nobody there most of the time....but it does show all the differany waits....and the complete build...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Oh, and before anyone ask's.... yes it's for sale....