WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Honest home build time in havasu?

Wendi

Reaction score
15 months from slab pour. We signed our contract to build August 13, 2020. Funded our construction loan December 20, 2020. Slab poured 3/1/21, COO 5/12/22.

Wendi

Reaction score
Is everybody happy with their price? Long and slow save any money? 9 months start to finish, did it cost $225 sf?
I was happy with the price until the change orders started! I was told my builder was the Change Order King, but I didn't want to believe it. Boy was I wrong. The worst was the tile and floors!!!

Wendi

Reaction score
Now we can't even get our block walls done, so the pool is just sitting. Apparently there is now a Havasu Brown block wall shortage.

Wendi

Reaction score
@Wmc and @Wendi - The Cooks can give an honest timeline from start to finish.
Alright. So we bought a lot last year. Signed in may, closed in June with a local builder. We had some pretty decent lot improvements that were needed so I understand it has taken longer then expected. Now the slab will be done next week. What would be a reasonable time for completion, with out all the normal excuses, Covid etc. I am also in construction, have been for 20 years. I also have been a contractor for 10 years. I do not work on residential very much, therefore I am asking. I am a welding contractor in CA so mostly do structural and metal buildings. So I am aware of all the “normal” delays these days. Want to know if the time frame I was given is normal, starting to get a little frustrated……
Feel free to call me (909) 455-6271 or PM me.

Wendi

Reaction score
It looks like there are some specific items like cabinets, appliances, etc. that seem to hold up the process. Isn’t this something that you can just order early in the build so that they are in process?
So here is the deal on appliances. We purchased ours outside of contract because we wanted higher end (Appliances Connection). It took between 5-8 months as they trickled in. So we put them in storage. LIttle did we know that the return policy is 30 days from delivery. By the time we opened them up that 30 days was way overdue. I am now stuck with a microwave that I paid $800 for because it didn't fit in the cabinets. I escalated, but they wouldn't budge. Said it will just end up in the dump if they take it back. Our dryer had a huge dent in it (luckily in the back). Lowes did end up giving us a credit (as they stored it for 60 days) so we used that for our butler's kitchen refrigerator. Once they are delivered open them up and inspect. BTW Lowes now only has a 2 day return policy. So if you are buying from Lowes keep that in mind.

jailbird141

Reaction score
I recently completed a build. From the time they broke ground until it was basically done was about a year. I acted as the GC and I can tell you damn near every single day I was on the phone with a sub trying to get stuff done. If you have the patience and persistence to do that, then act as the GC. Some of the stuff like interior paint and tile work I did myself. I planned ahead and bought appliances and fixtures well ahead of time so I didnt run into very many issues with supplies. One thing that several people warned about was getting a sub to do work for me since I wasnt one of the bigger builders in town. I found that not to be an issue. I built my house out of pocket so I was paying cash when work was completed. The subs seemed to like that and most managed to get the work squeezed in when I was ready.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
For those waiting for garage doors I've seen some using $80 plywood sheets to close them up in order to get the COO.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
For those waiting for garage doors I've seen some using $80 plywood sheets to close them up in order to get the COO.
What a joke that the building departments cannot work with builders/homeowners in times like these.