WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hoover Dam Run

McKay

Reaction score
So we have 3 or 4 boats that are headed to Havasu on April 3-8th. We have all wanted to do the dam run on Mohave for a few years now as none of us have done it. So here is my questions for you that have done it.

It appears to me that the River is closed to boats on Sundays and Mondays? We wanted to run it on April 2nd but it appears that is probably out so is it open then on the 3rd of April? (Tuesday)

Anyone stayed at the Cottonwood Cove Motel? Decent? I know we probably cant expect much but as long as its clean just looking to spend the one night, Run the river the next morning then put them on the trailer and head to Havasu.

Then for newbies it appears the river is quite deep? Just use common sense and we should be fine or is there hazards or shallow spots to be aware of?

Thanks

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
The river is fine most of the way up, once you pass willow it starts to get shallow on the left in a few places (look for a wash into the river) that is where it will be shallow. Stay in the middle you will be fine.

Check out how clear the water is once passed willow beach.

And watch for kayakers they don’t take kindly to the boating type

Frankenmax

Reaction score
I think past Willow to the dam motorized craft is only allowed between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I could be wrong but I know it is closed part of year to motorized boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nowski

Reaction score
You may need to alter those plans unless the laws have changed. You can only boat as far as Willow Beach. The Upper part of the lake is closed to boating from Labor Day to Memorial Day...

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Double check, but last I remember, taking boats (over 65 hp) is only good from Memorial to Labor Day:

Capture 1.PNG

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Unfortunately you can't go past Willow Beach/Marine unless your under 65hp between labor Day and Memorial Day which to me is the best part of the trip.

Capture.JPG

Trash

Reaction score
So we have 3 or 4 boats that are headed to Havasu on April 3-8th. We have all wanted to do the dam run on Mohave for a few years now as none of us have done it. So here is my questions for you that have done it.

It appears to me that the River is closed to boats on Sundays and Mondays? We wanted to run it on April 2nd but it appears that is probably out so is it open then on the 3rd of April? (Tuesday)

Anyone stayed at the Cottonwood Cove Motel? Decent? I know we probably cant expect much but as long as its clean just looking to spend the one night, Run the river the next morning then put them on the trailer and head to Havasu.

Then for newbies it appears the river is quite deep? Just use common sense and we should be fine or is there hazards or shallow spots to be aware of?

Thanks

As stated you can't go north of Willow Beach at that time of the year. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day you can IF its NOT Sunday or Monday.

Personally I'd run the full length from Katherines to the Hoover Dam rather that start at Cottonwood. Just my preference.

The lowest water levels are typically October-November when they draw down. If the water level is 644' MSL or there abouts its no issue up to the dam.

RCDave

Reaction score
Its still worth the trip, even with the Willow Beach limitation

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
I have made the trip many times and follow the good advice here you will be just fine. If you decide to make the trip from Katherines be prepared to burn a few gallons of go go juice, its roughly 130 miles making that lap.

We have friends staying with us at the river that same weekend and we talked about heading up to Mojave and making the run to Willow Beach, they have not done it before. That said, I would offer to lead you guys April 7 if you want, we always enjoy making new river friends.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have made the trip many times and follow the good advice here you will be just fine. If you decide to make the trip from Katherines be prepared to burn a few gallons of go go juice, its roughly 130 miles making that lap.

We have friends staying with us at the river that same weekend and we talked about heading up to Mojave and making the run to Willow Beach, they have not done it before. That said, I would offer to lead you guys April 7 if you want, we always enjoy making new river friends.
I sure hope they can average 100mph to keep up!!!

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Lower Mohave, Katherine's to Cottonwood is not much. That portion can get sloppy if there's wind. Summer launching at Katherine's is brutal. April is probably better. We stayed at the Cottonwood Cove Motel a number of times years ago. Nothing fancy, but provides immediate access to a beautiful portion of the lake/river. Small barbques were mounted on the lawn in front of the rooms. No kitchen facilities in any of the rooms. But, that could have changed. Good, multi lane launch ramp, docks available, fuel, small cafe etc. IMHO, it makes sense to begin your run to the dam from there. Others have spoken about closures. Yes, be sure to check out the schedules. Watch out for kayaks and canoes. Black Canyon portion of the run is phenomenal. Many nice coves between Cottonwood and Black Canyon. Enjoy. It is some outstanding boating.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Ran it nine times....watch out for the Democrats in kayaks on the way up. Willow Beach Marina had a huge face lift some time ago and is very nice.

Frankenmax

Reaction score
Willow is nice. I’ve spent a fair amount of time there. It’s close to my house. The ramp is easy to navigate, the slips are awesome. The food at the cafe is decent if your lazy and don’t feel like cooking. But in all honesty when I go back I’m just going to camp in a cove. The camp sites are kinda crowded and not my style. Like stated above the scenery is cool. Just watch out for the worm sinkers. They get angry when you blow past them full bore in the narrow canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McKay

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's advice. And Don thanks for your generous offer. I will let you know what the group decides if they want to just do half of it.

I think I would melt doing this run with all of you in August. Haha. We are generally pretty booked up with our trips to Powell in May through Sept or I would try and swing it.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Kathrines Lansing is very special to me for lots of reasons. All of lake Mohave really. I like to go by Davis dam to visit our friend Carl whenever im on Mohave

DBO

Reaction score
Lower Mohave, Katherine's to Cottonwood is not much. That portion can get sloppy if there's wind. Summer launching at Katherine's is brutal. April is probably better. We stayed at the Cottonwood Cove Motel a number of times years ago. Nothing fancy, but provides immediate access to a beautiful portion of the lake/river. Small barbques were mounted on the lawn in front of the rooms. No kitchen facilities in any of the rooms. But, that could have changed. Good, multi lane launch ramp, docks available, fuel, small cafe etc. IMHO, it makes sense to begin your run to the dam from there. Others have spoken about closures. Yes, be sure to check out the schedules. Watch out for kayaks and canoes. Black Canyon portion of the run is phenomenal. Many nice coves between Cottonwood and Black Canyon. Enjoy. It is some outstanding boating.
Is anyone still doin the dam run? Have been boating on Mojave on/off for several years now and always wanted to do that run. I live in CA but am in Arizona often with a friend who now has a home in Bullhead. we are both interested in this run with our boats.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Is anyone still doin the dam run? Have been boating on Mojave on/off for several years now and always wanted to do that run. I live in CA but am in Arizona often with a friend who now has a home in Bullhead. we are both interested in this run with our boats.
I believe there is a coincidental day during summer a number of boats run up from Davis dam to Hoover around the same time. Usually a thread will pop up.

DBO

Reaction score
Ill keep an eye out for it, thank you. have been to the dam and back several times in a couple of my my other boats and a couple times in my friends Fountain. Always a good time.
We used to stay at Cottonwood before he had a home there.

I appreciate the reply.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Ill keep an eye out for it, thank you. have been to the dam and back several times in a couple of my my other boats and a couple times in my friends Fountain. Always a good time.
We used to stay at Cottonwood before he had a home there.

I appreciate the reply.
I grew up on Mojave going out of Katherine’s. I love that lake just not the wind. I’ve also been keeping an eye out for that thread as I’d like to maybe plan a trip the same weekend.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Been there done it. Stay out if the basin in mid day. And or bring kidney belts. It was worth the beating to see it though.

Reactions: DBO

DBO

Reaction score
I have been boating on Mojave since 2013. Fell in love with it the first time there!
The wind in the basin can bring large swells for sure but lots of fun in the right boat. My old Rinker didn't fair so well in them, my Velocity dint mind and Im guessing my new (to me) Lavey Craft wont mind to much as its a pretty deep V.
I might be there during spring break, still working on those plans.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
That run is usually scheduled/done for Aug. Just keep an eye out for the thread.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I am with you in the desire to do the day on the water. I have it on my calendar for this year as 7.29.23. Hope that both you and I are able to make it out this year. 👍

Reactions: DBO