WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hoover Dam

franky

Reaction score
Am I good to drop in at Cottonwood tomorrow and boat up to the base? Any restrictions. Thanks

AJ13

Reaction score
I would check with the rangers to make sure its open to go all the way to the dam. I know some days its closed to any boats over 50hp.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
If I remember right it’s Sunday-Tuesday no powerboats.

If it were me I would go for it tomorrow. One of the coolest places I have every been boating.

D88BDAF2-D1BA-4AA9-A919-716758B5DCC4.jpeg

Reaction score
across the basin in an Avenger 167 OB.....on a windy day

avenger 16' 7" OB I had one of those with a 140 hp 'rude. gave it to one of my son's it now sitting (covered) out in a field somewhere.

Last edited:

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Don’t jump in the water.........its dam cold!:p Lame I know. But it is around 50 degrees...too cold for me...did that trip in the 90’s. Gorgeous ride!

Riverryder

Reaction score
Sun-mon no motors so your good. But with all this covid crap they might have some dumb rule in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franky

Reaction score
avenger 16' 7" OB I had one of those with a 140hp rude. gave it to one of my son's it now sitting (covered) out in a field somewhere.
I had a 150 Merc “tower of power”. Bought it direct from factory in LA for 10k. Had it for 5 years and sold it for $10k. Buena Vista and the Delta ski machine I’ll

wzuber

Reaction score
for what it's worth, when jumping in the cold water up near the dam, I've heard it's very advisable to have peeps put on life jackets first due to the drastic temp difference between the hot air and very cold water. Apparently people get shocked by the cold and gasp, inhale water and drown fairly frequently. Just a a mention. Enjoy the trip, it's beautiful up there.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Yep, I did it in the mid 80’s before it was allowed all tge way from Karherines on the 4th of July across the basin in an Avenger 167 OB.....on a windy day
How long does it take to get there from Katherine's?

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Don’t jump in the water.........its dam cold!:p Lame I know. But it is around 50 degrees...too cold for me...did that trip in the 90’s. Gorgeous ride!
No Chit, back when I was young and didn't have a brain, mid 70's, I jumped in to change a prop on a buddies boat. Ho-Li-Fuc you ain't whislein' dixie!!!:eek::eek::eek:

wzuber

Reaction score
How long does it take to get there from Katherine's?
speed costs $$$...how much you wanna spend? haha
I don't know the mileage but it's literally from one end of the lake to the other.

jet496

Reaction score
If I remember right it’s Sunday-Tuesday no powerboats.

If it were me I would go for it tomorrow. One of the coolest places I have every been boating.

View attachment 881468
We did it decades ago and have video of park patrol on top with a bull horn yelling "this is a restricted area, please remove yourself". We kept on anyway. Today we'd be probably be shot for that. LOL.

Oh yea, it was 130 degrees out yet the water was so cold we couldn't stay in for a minute.

rrrr

Reaction score
I love the history of Hoover Dam. I did my first tour of the dam when I was twelve, and went back about dozen times before 9/11. Now the tour is pretty lame, but walking into the turbine hall is still impressive.

Check out this movie I linked below, it was made in 1937, two years after the dam was finished. It shows some of the most interesting construction, for me that's the 30' diameter steel penstocks which carry lake water to the turbines.

They were built in three pieces of rolled 2¾" plate that was welded together with 100% x-ray inspection. After assembly, the ends of the 11' long joints were machined to 1¾" male and female socket joints with a huge external circumferential lathe and then punched with rivet holes.

When the fabrication work was completed, the 300,000 lb penstock sections were placed inside a huge insulated structure, then heated to 1,400°F for stress relief. The sections were pulled to the cableway hoist on a multiwheeled steerable hydraulic trailer, the predecessor to the Mammoet transport equipment that's common today, with two Cat D-7s pulling and one pushing.

The huge cableway hoist positioned the penstock sections at the tunnel entrances, and they were then maneuvered into the tunnel, joined up with the already built sections, and riveted together with 1" X 4" hot rivets.

It's all amazing stuff, especially considering it was built during the worst of the Depression and finished two years ahead of schedule.

If you watch the movie, the penstock fabrication scenes start at 21:30. Check out the process closely. The huge vertical rollers bending the plate and the gigantic circumferential external lathes cutting the socket joints are incredible.

Last edited:

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Isn't there an exception for the dam run, since it is a one day event are they going to let it fly again this year?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Any shallow spots on the way up to the dam?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

glamis0812

Reaction score
Isn't there an exception for the dam run, since it is a one day event are they going to let it fly again this year?

The run is on Saturdays so it’s open like the sign says.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

Why would they need an exception it’s held on a Saturday in August

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Nothing real shallow that’s not marked. Stay center. Just cruise and enjoy.
Only spot that are shallow and not marked are just immediately below the dam. Heading North towards dam they are on the left easy to spot, stay right of center.

franky

Reaction score
Thanks, called Cottonwood Ranger Station and all clear. Leaving for Searchlight shortly....will post some pics this evening if all goes well.......

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Nice looking forward to pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icky

Reaction score
I love the history of Hoover Dam. I did my first tour of the dam when I was twelve, and went back about dozen times before 9/11. Now the tour is pretty lame, but walking into the turbine hall is still impressive.

Check out this movie I linked below, it was made in 1937, two years after the dam was finished. It shows some of the most interesting construction, for me that's the 30' diameter steel penstocks which carry lake water to the turbines.

They were built in three pieces of rolled 2¾" plate that was welded together with 100% x-ray inspection. After assembly, the ends of the 11' long joints were machined to 1¾" male and female socket joints with a huge external circumferential lathe and then punched with rivet holes.

When the fabrication work was completed, the 300,000 lb penstock sections were placed inside a huge insulated structure, then heated to 1,400°F for stress relief. The sections were pulled to the cableway hoist on a multiwheeled steerable hydraulic trailer, the predecessor to the Mammoet transport equipment that's common today, with two Cat D-7s pulling and one pushing.

The huge cableway hoist positioned the penstock sections at the tunnel entrances, and they were then maneuvered into the tunnel, joined up with the already built sections, and riveted together with 1" X 4" hot rivets.

It's all amazing stuff, especially considering it was built during the worst of the Depression and finished two years ahead of schedule.

If you watch the movie, the penstock fabrication scenes start at 21:30. Check out the process closely. The huge vertical rollers bending the plate and the gigantic circumferential external lathes cutting the socket joints are incredible.

There's no mention of the transformers or the allspark 🤔

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
But it also has been stated that it was 65hp or less

65 hp is in the off season, after Labor day thru Memorial day, except Sunday and Monday.

Sunday and Monday is no power boats at all, year round.

Memorial day thru Labor day, all power boats, and pwc EXCEPT Sunday and Monday.

Dan'l

Duramax

Reaction score

Amazing video! Just watched it. Wow

cxr

Reaction score
Make sure you roost the tree huggers in kayaks when they flip you off up towards the dam. 😂👍🇺🇸

LOL HOLY CRAP that actually happened to me in like 2005/2006. me and my friend were running up to the dam . my first time and i see these kayakers with their hands up in the air. so i go and idle over to them to see whats up. and MOTHERFUCKER told me to slow down and gave me the middle finger. friggin asshole

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
LOL HOLY CRAP that actually happened to me in like 2005/2006. me and my friend were running up to the dam . my first time and i see these kayakers with their hands up in the air. so i go and idle over to them to see whats up. and MOTHERFUCKER told me to slow down and gave me the middle finger. friggin asshole

Most of them are cool, but a few of them are dicks. I’ve had a few of them yell and wave their arms for me to slow down. What they don’t understand is they would be better off to stay to the side and let me proceed on plane instead of having me go slow and make them deal with the wake of a 34’ boat that is plowing along.

Had one floppy hat wearing treehugger put her kayak right in the middle of a narrow portion and actually sit and stare at me with her arms crossed as I approached. I slowed down to off-plane speed and came close enough to to her that my wake almost flipped her over. Some screaming and profanity were sent in our direction. We waved back with one finger and went on our way.

They’re all about tolerance until you do something they disagree with.

rrrr

Reaction score
how about a follow up about how many people 6 company's killed...

Using information from the Bureau of Reclamation website, I can provide that information and some statistics. BuRec says there were 21,000 men employed at the dam over its five year construction, and on average, 3,500 workers were on site every working day. The work schedule was three eight hour shifts, 362 days a year, which means a total of 10,136,000 man hours were worked during those five years.

The website says records show 96 men died in construction accidents, but a modern scrutiny of those contemporary records indicate another 135 men died from all other known causes, including natural deaths, heat exhaustion, commuting auto accidents, and murders (there were five). Since you want to know how many people Six Companies "killed" ( :rolleyes: ) during the project, I'll use the 96 fatalities number.

Dividing the 10,136,000 man hours by the 96 deaths gives a figure of one death per 105,583 man hours. That also calculates out to .946 deaths per 100,000 man hours.

Given the fact there were no safety harnesses or other fall protection, scaffolding was wood planking supported by wood framing of whatever material was within reach, cranes of the era were intrinsically unsafe and workers routinely rode the hook ball in freefall, and countless other dangerous practices were commonly used, the number of fatal accidents which occurred during construction of the dam were surprisingly low.

franky

Reaction score
Put The boat in at Cottonwood Cove, boated 40+ miles to Hoover dam. With the exception of Willow Beach area we saw maybe six boats and six jet skiis all day. Fantastic day. When we cane back across the tip if the basin it was getting pretty rough.

1590757825571.jpeg

1590757937094.jpeg

1590758019398.jpeg

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I had a 150 Merc “tower of power”. Bought it direct from factory in LA for 10k. Had it for 5 years and sold it for $10k. Buena Vista and the Delta ski machine I’ll

Had their cousin, a 16.7 thunderboat. Came with the 150 tower of no power, anemic at best. Ordered early and got the first 200v6 released in the west. Great boat, put a 1000 hrs on it.