WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Horizontal Bandsaw Resurrection

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Picked this old Do-All up from my old neighbor years ago, and finally got around to rebuilding all the mechanical parts, all new bearings and blade guides, hydrualics, etc. Vise was non functional, etc so had to make a bunch of stuff from scratch.

New pump and coolant system needs to be installed and it's basically done.

Using a C-Clamp to cut the material for the new vise parts, & mist coolant to get by.
10 - Copy.jpg

Making lots of chips
11 - Copy.jpg

New Vise, screw, etc. All bronze bushed.
12 - Copy.jpg

13 - Copy.jpg

14 - Copy.jpg

I screwed up and ordered way to fine pitch of ACME thread so i ditched the hand wheel, i run the vise in with the battery impact instead for rapid travel 🤦‍♂️
15 - Copy.jpg

16 - Copy.jpg

I'll do some further clean up now that i know this thing is fully functional and no major fixes to do.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Badass!

Does this adjust control the drop rate?
View attachment 997812

Yep, just a little brass needle valve. I robbed it off my old small horizontal saw that finally gave up. Works pretty well so just moved it over hoses and all.

This is also a nice little tool i made to accompany the saw, maybe someone can guess what it is used for.

01 - Copy.jpg
02 - Copy.jpg
03 - Copy.jpg
04 - Copy.jpg
05 - Copy.jpg
06 - Copy.jpg
07 - Copy.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Is it some sort of clamping tool for blade maintenance and repair?

👌 brazing or welding fixture.

on these big 1" blades a scarf joint and some silver solder works amazingly well. you can also put a purge box below the opening and tig weld them.

I have a blade welder on my vertical, but it struggles with 3/4" blades and i'm afraid i'll kill the thing. Works great on 1/2" and below though.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am a little curious to see that in action.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I am a little curious to see that in action.

I was cutting 10 pcs at a time of 1/4 x 2" flat bar steel, miter cuts. just mark em and slid em through, keep a clamp on the tailing end so they don't shift. 30 inches pieces and the biggest length discrepancy was maybe 20 thou. More than close enough for assembly and welding. Sure beats cutting them 1 by 1 when you gotta do 100 pieces.

Thing just burns through material without breaking a sweat.

I bought the saw for like 200 bucks probably 5 years ago and it has just been sitting, i wish i would have gotten it all dialed in a long time ago. 🤣

motormonkey

Reaction score
Nice setup.
I had a saw that ran coolant on "flood" and would last forever cutting all day. Cleaning the chips was a hourly deal.
One thing we added was a 20' tray to collect the coolant from the back stock and return to tank, saved making a mess when cutting tubes at different lengths.