WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Horrible accident on Rice Rd

Taboma

Reaction score
Desert Sun reporter Jay Calderon, with nothing better to do back in 2014 🥱 Bullshit if you ask me, I highly recommend it. 👍

Rice Rd Death Trap.JPG

Rice Rd East of 29 Palms.JPG

Parker Live Rice Rd Death Trap.JPG

Sherpa

Reaction score
Comeawn Mr Rivermobster..... I'm a gun nut pretty much. I machine 80-20's for fun.
but if head on's are a huge issue, and of course most likely due to IDIOTS passing on blind sections, just in a
big ass hurry to get to and get home from the river I get it......

hwy 17 through the santa cruz mountains used to be a 4 lane road without the barriers between directions, and
there was alot of head on's.. usually fatals. the barriers were put in probably 30 years ago by now, and no more
head on's......

guns are just a tool. but so are cars. passing lanes would obviously need to be planned in, since I certainly
wouldn't want to follow some dumb ass karen doing 45 in a prius or a truck doing 50 for 60+ miles!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Comeawn Mr Rivermobster..... I'm a gun nut pretty much. I machine 80-20's for fun.
but if head on's are a huge issue, and of course most likely due to IDIOTS passing on blind sections, just in a
big ass hurry to get to and get home from the river I get it......

hwy 17 through the santa cruz mountains used to be a 4 lane road without the barriers between directions, and
there was alot of head on's.. usually fatals. the barriers were put in probably 30 years ago by now, and no more
head on's......

guns are just a tool. but so are cars. passing lanes would obviously need to be planned in, since I certainly
wouldn't want to follow some dumb ass karen doing 45 in a prius or a truck doing 50 for 60+ miles!

We think alike then. 👍🏼

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Not having been on rice road how long of a section is it? And knowingly as is now it can be dangerous, why hasn’t it been divided yet by concrete dividers?
83 Miles. Interstate 10 tp AZ95 (Parker bridge)

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Rice does not even make the top 10 list of deadliest roads in CA. You are more at risk on the 10 getting to Rice Road than you are on Rice Road.

Tragic crash.
What makes up those list? Rice rd might not be on the list and the 10 may be due to shear volume. If it’s the idea more people die on the 10 then that makes sense but the I bet the 10 is safer when you figure volume/fatalities.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
What makes up those list? Rice rd might not be on the list and the 10 may be due to shear volume. If it’s the idea more people die on the 10 then that makes sense but the I bet the 10 is safer when you figure volume/fatalities.

Even per capita Rice Rd is nowhere close.

Anywhere you slice it you are at more risk elsewhere on your trip than Rice.

Remember those idiots on Rice Rd were just on the 10.

Taboma

Reaction score

SR 62.JPG

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Any road is safe if you drive defensively… taking the ehrenburg route last weekend, I had to put one side of the truck and trailer in the dirt to avoid a head on with a fucktard passing the opposite direction…was no big deal really, as I’d already slowed to 20mph or so in anticipation.

Same on Rice or any other road…don’t get in a hurry, pay attention, expect that everyone you come across is an idiot. Just like everything else in life.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Any road is safe if you drive defensively… taking the ehrenburg route last weekend, I had to put one side of the truck and trailer in the dirt to avoid a head on with a fucktard passing the opposite direction…was no big deal really, as I’d already slowed to 20mph or so in anticipation.

Same on Rice or any other road…don’t get in a hurry, pay attention, expect that everyone you come across is an idiot. Just like everything else in life.

This is RDP. There will be none of that common sense shit around here. 👎

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Looking at the schedule, theres a k schmitt. I don't know him personally
That's him, good ol Karl.

It will be a change for me, im coming from battalion 5 response area. Was there for 14 years and battalion 3 for 3 years before that

rrrr

Reaction score
I think a big part of this issue is that the skills required to pass a car on a two lane road no longer exist. When I was a kid, I rode with my parents on two lane Route 66 in my Dad's 1965 Bonneville. It had a 421 CI 360 HP V-8, and Dad liked to let it eat.

220px-1966_Pontiac_Bonneville_4-Door_Hardtop_%282%29.JPG

Passing cars on 66 between Gallup and Grants NM was sketchy as hell, exacerbated by the old man's desire to run 80-90 MPH. But I never felt endangered, because he was careful and had been driving on two lane highways since he was a kid living in Bullhead City and Kingman.

How many of those fucktards in F-150s pulling a boat trying to pass on Rice Rd have any relevant experience or skill? I'm gonna say close to zero. Two vehicles approaching each other on that road, each running 75 MPH, are closing at a rate of 220 feet per second. They'll cover a quarter mile in six seconds. You think any of those idiots are aware of that math?

Last edited:

carrera202

Reaction score
That's him, good ol Karl.

It will be a change for me, im coming from battalion 5 response area. Was there for 14 years and battalion 3 for 3 years before that
Pretty sure I've ran into you a time or two throughout the years. Good luck with your transfer!

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
I think a big part of this issue is that the skills required to pass a car on a two lane road no longer exist. When I was a kid, I rode with my parents on two lane Route 66 in my Dad's 1965 Bonneville. It had a 421 CI 360 HP V-8, and Dad liked to let it eat.

Passing cars on 66 between Gallup and Grants NM was sketchy as hell, exacerbated by the old man's desire to run 80-90 MPH. But I never felt endangered, because he was careful and had been driving on two lane highways since he was a kid living in Bullhead City and Kingman.

How many of those fucktards in F-150s pulling a boat trying to pass on Rice Rd have any relevant experience or skill? I'm gonna say close to zero. Two vehicles approaching each other on that road, each running 75 MPH, are closing at a rate of 220 feet per second. They'll cover a quarter mile in six seconds. You think any of those idiots are aware of that math?
Well said, and add in the dips and the trailer swing on transition of said dips while trying to change lanes......

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Just to play devils advocate.. they probably have a lot of experience, they lug their boat or toy haulers often down that road. I don't recall many of these accidents on Rice where towing was involved. It is definitely the minority.

Javajoe

Reaction score
I hate when the tongue grinds on the pavement in a dip as I’m passing a slow poke while I’m doing 100. That’s the only real safe way to pass while towing anything large and heavy…Just punch it and hope for the best. Pretty soon you will be well experienced and the odds will be in your favor

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I hate when the tongue grinds on the pavement in a dip as I’m passing a slow poke while I’m doing 100. That’s the only real safe way to pass while towing anything large and heavy…Just punch it and hope for the best. Pretty soon you will be well experienced and the odds will be in your favor
If we all keep throwing our empty beer bottles out the window at the slow pokes while passing...they'll eventually get the message and start to go through Ehrenburg

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

Your description of your Father's driving enjoyment reminds me of "Ralphie" in "A Christmas Story" describing his Father in different situations throughout the Movie.

4Waters

Reaction score

No they don't know how that works and that's why bad things happen.

Easiest way to figure FPS for people that don't know is....
Speed divided by 2 plus speed
Or
80mph÷2=40
40+80mph=120FPS

Bajastu

Reaction score
Driving to the Parker house last night at about 9:30-10:00 pm and some douche passes me towing a three axle fifth wheel like I was standing still. I was towing my boat, behind another guy towing a boat doing about 60-62 mph. I guess I was too slow. When I saw him making the pass, I slowed way down and gave that guy some room. He was on a death mission fish tailing and driving way too fast.

People that want to overdrive their trailer tires with speed find out the hard way.

Last edited:

mobldj

Reaction score
Driving to the Parker house last night at about 9:30-10:00 pm and some douche passes me towing a three axle fifth wheel like I was standing still. I was towing my boat, behind another guy towing a boat doing about 60-62 mph. I guess I was too slow. When I saw him making the pass, I slowed way down and gave that guy some room. He was on a death mission fish tailing and driving way too fast.

People that want to overdrive their trailer tires with speed find out the hard way.
i call them passholes

FreeBird236

Reaction score
How is the construction and bridge coming around Ehrenburg? Last time I was though there the potholes were pretty bad.

endobear

Reaction score
I love rolling rice road heading to Palm Springs and Glamis from Denver. Towed my 34' triple axel up and down it 6x or so in 2 years. It always feels like I'm finally in desert heading south and it's the last of the real desert i see heading home. I always seem to hit it at dusk or dawn.
Beautiful to me.
I just roll along at 60 or so and enjoy it.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

When its stated "That road is dangerous" it has nothing to do with the actual road unless you dip into a flash flood at 80 mph.

Its a mixed bag of Douchery or non isn't it? Some pass well, don't come across your bumper within a 1/2 car length, signal coming back over. Easy.
Then there are the ones that have to display their disgust with you as they pass in one way or another. I can tolerate these types as well.

Then there is the No Clue, No Care, No ability....Asshole that someone should have shot dead years before as he passes straight into oncoming traffic. Two months ago we experienced him and I wrote about it here in another thread. Friday afternoon at 4:30pm. This person is becoming more prevalent which is why I'll take a less traveled path to reduce the odds at the cost of 20 min. We will still drive Rice mid week, middle of the day, or even early in the morning or midnight runs. I agree with others here no Friday or Sunday afternoons for this dude.

Englewood

Reaction score
Emergency response is way, way faster on Ehrenberg RD as well as the other reasons to use it.
Jus' experience from my decades and decades of rolling down both rds.
Exactly! I spoke to the San Bernardino FD rig that covers the area. He said not uncommon for him to be 1.5-2hrs out for an accident due to his current call/location. He advised to swerve off into the desert and take your chances as he won't be able to get there fast.

I don't get the logic of putting your family's life in danger to get somewhere 5 minutes faster. I've driven that road twice and not doing that again.

Singleton

Reaction score
How is the construction and bridge coming around Ehrenburg? Last time I was though there the potholes were pretty bad.
Potholes on bypass were getting rough and deep. Active paving was occurring Tuesday afternoon when I drove through. I saw it was scheduled to open in 2023.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Exactly! I spoke to the San Bernardino FD rig that covers the area. He said not uncommon for him to be 1.5-2hrs out for an accident due to his current call/location. He advised to swerve off into the desert and take your chances as he won't be able to get there fast.

I don't get the logic of putting your family's life in danger to get somewhere 5 minutes faster. I've driven that road twice and not doing that again.
Actually, SBCoFD is no longer responsible for the Big River/Hwy 62 area. CRIT has it all now.

And I’ve said it before, the response on I40 is no better. Depending on where your emergency takes place, the nearest ground units in the County response area are Needles, Helendale, or Baker.
I worked quite a bit in Needles as a FFPM when the department finally started staffing the area with 3 personnel. Kelbaker road was the cutoff if I remember correctly.

Javajoe

Reaction score

They have Fire Station 49 right there at Desert Center