WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Horrible Freight

HitIt

Reaction score
They have a Black Friday deal going on right now where you can get %15 off of anything including all of the stuff that is usually excluded (generators, tool boxes, compressors, etc.) If you join the inside track club ($30) you can get 20% off. I just picked up a Predator 3500 for $639.

Haters need not apply.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
On my way there after work. Need a cheap brake bleeder.
STOKED a new HF is opening across the street from my work in Poway. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
Just started my purchase process for 3 of the 56” toolbox pieces. I wish I could justify the ICON stuff, but I’ll settle for the US General...my Craftsman Professional boxes will be up for sale shortly.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Just started my purchase process for 3 of the 56” toolbox pieces. I wish I could justify the ICON stuff, but I’ll settle for the US General...my Craftsman Professional boxes will be up for sale shortly.

I’m growing out of my tool boxes and have been looking at the Generals also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Cool! I need to get another box. I wouldn't say I live out of mine, but somewhere between fulltime and heavy normal use...3-4 days a week. Been really happy with mine. People can say what they want, the box just helps store and organize stuff. Most of my tools are Snap-On or Mac...both drivers come out to my house. Both try to sell me boxes. I like my HF boxes, and I didn't have to take a loan against the house to buy them!

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
We have 2 champions 6800/4800 gens I buy from HF most of the time I’m going to use the tool 1 time and it goes in the box 👍😎

Sherpa

Reaction score
They have a Black Friday deal going on right now where you can get %15 off of anything including all of the stuff that is usually excluded (generators, tool boxes, compressors, etc.) If you join the inside track club ($30) you can get 20% off. I just picked up a Predator 3500 for $639.

Haters need not apply.

I’d love to and weasel the price on it and add another 15% coupon to that. Doubtful on that.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
ChineseJunkKeying.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Used snap on boxes can be had for not much more that the garbage USGeneral boxes.
Funny, I sold my old KRL1002's for 2k each when I moved.
I'll stick to my "garbage" ;) It all depends on how one wants to spend money. I choose to have less costly tool boxes now days...but they reside in a shop building I own now. Does that qualify as a big tool box?🤣

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score

Haters need not apply.
Is the sale for all weekend?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Funny, I sold my old KRL1002's for 2k each when I moved.
I'll stick to my "garbage" ;) It all depends on how one wants to spend money. I choose to have less costly tool boxes now days...but they reside in a shop building I own now. Does that qualify as a big tool box?🤣

I bought my Snap On box 20 years ago...a couple drawers weren't sliding right so I made a call since I no longer have a dealer who's worth fuck all... six new drawer slides were sitting on my porch when I got home the following day.

I'm not a name brand guy, I'm a quality guy...and my Snap on box is worth every penny I spent on it. It'll still looks like new and after 18 years, no questions asked replacement parts sent to my door.

Try that with HF.

Rondog4405

Reaction score

Haters need not apply.
Thinking about picking one of those up too. Would be nice if it was 15% off the usual price of $699.. not $799.. but, these coupons come around only once a year so might as well grab something with it😉

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My service cart gets the crap beat out of it, and gets replaced every 5 or so years...I have chained those to a tractor to take out to another tractor. Tools are tools, meant to be used. My 300$ set of wrenches are scratched from sliding on rocks and concrete. My 40$ Chinisium ones have torch marks and sometimes turned into pretzels...maybe just for one job.
My KRL1002's I paid 1k each for. Three separate "aspiring mechanics" were happy to pay 2k...to each their own. Hell, all the stuff in cases, splitters, pullers, testers...all that stuff goes in filling cabinets now.

A Snap-On box doesn't make the difference between a good or bad mechanic. Fixing the customers problem does. One costs money, the other allows you to have the money to spend. What you do with the profits is up to you. I feed three kids, paid off both my houses, and don't work as much as I should for my age. Once again, to each their own.

rrrr

Reaction score
I bought my Snap On box 20 years ago...a couple drawers weren't sliding right so I made a call since I no longer have a dealer who's worth fuck all... six new drawer slides were sitting on my porch when I got home the following day.

I'm not a name brand guy, I'm a quality guy...and my Snap on box is worth every penny I spent on it. It'll still looks like new and after 18 years, no questions asked replacement parts sent to my door.

Try that with HF.

I have a couple of Classic 78s in my shop I bought used about 10 years ago. They were manufactured in 2000, I paid $1,000 and $1,200 for them. They still perform like new boxes.

How much does a comparable HF box cost?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have a couple of Classic 78s in my shop I bought used about 10 years ago. They were manufactured in 2000, I paid $1,000 and $1,200 for them. They still perform like new boxes.

How much does a comparable HF box cost?
The closest to a 78 I think runs about 600$. My first "big box" was a 78...old one. Not saying they aren't good boxes, just think you have to sneak up on a good deal.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I operate out of an 80's snapon taco cart and a cornwell service cart. I paid $800 for the top and bottom snapon box from an old limo shop. I paid $300 for the Cornwell. My side cabinet (that sports a Snapon badge) is US General. I think i paid $200 for that.

All that being said. I would never pay $1000s for a tool box. And side by side, my side cabinet is every bit as strong as the tool box it's attached to. And the drawers in the cabinet work better than the ones in the tool box. I even mic'd the metal that they're made out of. The US general was built out of heavier gauge metal than the snap on box! They are every bit as good as the high dollar boxes.

All SnapOn is today is a branding and credit company. Gone are the days where their name meant superior quality or made in the USA.
20180925_094416.jpg
20180925_094343.jpg
20201012_091848.jpg

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Used snap on boxes can be had for not much more that the garbage USGeneral boxes.
The quality of the “garbage” US General stuff is equivalent to the Blue Point line. The Icon Stuff is on par with Matco and Snap-off

Your ad here

Reaction score
How do the HF boxes hold up when moved in a pickup or tow truck fully loaded? I moved my Snap On box, fully loaded, 4 times in one year and one trip was from Chino to Phoenix in a rain storm 🤦‍♂️. Drawer still open like new.

sintax

Reaction score

No kidding, I was just in there looking at the Series 2 US General box, that midsize one. I think its like $450. They I went over and checked out those ICON boxes, those things are VERY well made. Stout sheet metal, and rails on those suckers. But yea, i'm just a weekend warrior, I have no business owning a $1,500 tool box.

Reactions: TPC

dribble

Reaction score
I bought my GF a series 2 top and bottom last year for Christmas. It is better in every way than my 4000.00 Mac. Craftsmans are absolute garbage compared to these.

sintax

Reaction score
I bought my GF a series 2 top and bottom last year for Christmas. It is better in every way than my 4000.00 Mac. Craftsmans are absolute garbage compared to these.

Yea, I have an older Craftsman set currently, i've just out grown it. But yea, its not super great compared to some of these newer Series2 units. I want to redo my garage in a bit, and be able to stash the big roll away under a new workbench that runs the majority of the length of the garage.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
How do the HF boxes hold up when moved in a pickup or tow truck fully loaded? I moved my Snap On box, fully loaded, 4 times in one year and one trip was from Chino to Phoenix in a rain storm 🤦‍♂️. Drawer still open like new.
I can't say for sure. I sold my KRL's, and brought dairy crates when I moved. When I moved my HF from my garage to the shop building one drawer at a time. My friend has the 72" HF, lower only, and it went on a roll back from down in Phoenix up here loaded. It did that fine, but that was only once, and lower only...

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have a 10k dollar knack box (diamond plated data vault) sitting next to my harbor freight junk and my husky junk. They all do the same thing... hold my junk. Rats went through all of them and shot and kissed on everything. They did not discriminate. Just finished cleaning my junk up a few weeks ago.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I’ll actually let you know in a couple of months. One of our newer mechanics that’s bound to jump from base to base at every bid bought an icon box and a 5 drawer us general cart. The company let’s the mechanics transport their stuff on the company stake bed but it’s the mechanics responsibility to load it with a forklift and transport it themselves.

Groper

Reaction score
How do the General's compare to Husky or Milwaukee Boxes' ?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Built at the same factory as the Honda 7000i, if HF starts selling it under their name it’ll be a hot seller.
Incredibly quiet and powerful, half the price.
486F15AF-C7B7-4EF9-BB16-163791CEC221.jpeg

Xring01

Reaction score
7D4DA424-20C9-418F-B767-1FD626A06750.jpeg
428BE600-1465-45B4-A80A-CA5510D4D57F.jpeg
I
I have had the Snap on for 10 years ish, but I bought it used as a great price, from a mechanic who was upgrading to a better snap on. I can sell my Snap on for 2x what I paid for it. Saying that, its not the greatest tool box, the top box is great, the others not so much. Some of the Drawers are to shallow, or have dividers that are not removeable...

So a few days ago, I was in Harbor freight, and bought the bottom box. Got over a $200 discount because the aluminum on the front had a dent in it. For $200 saving, hell yeah Retail was $799 and I got it for $585. Yesterday I saw the email for the 15% off anything... and came home with the top box, retail was $499, I and I paid $425

As some one who has both... I am very happy with US General. These fuckers are heavy, I think the bottom box was over 400 lbs, and the top box has to be over 300 lbs... lifting that bastard on top was not fun at all. So I bought both for a about $1K with tax. Show me used Snap On or Used Matco that is this big for under $2500, and I will be there to buy it. Because I have been scrounging offer up and craigslist for months.

Conclusion: I am not a pro, I workon our boats, built the mustang and Built a few motorcycles. The Harbor freight gets the job done. Why spend 4x- 8x??? Even if I was a pro, I would still buy the Harbor Freight. The expensive ones are not 2x or 3x better than HF.. But they cost alot 4x to 8x more.

I have even done side by side comparision of the Icon ratchets to my Snap On ratchets. My buddy brought his 3/8 inch drive ratchet over... I cant look anyone in the eye and say my Snap On is better... no way, that Icon was nice. IF it breaks, take to HF and they hand you a new one.... Snap On, Cornwell, Matco are losing sales $$$ to Harbor Freight. No doubt about it, they will continue to take a greater percentage of there sales $$$ in the future as word gets out. As Stock Trader/Investory, I would buy HF Stock. There store in Temecula was jammed pack the last 4x I have been there. Literally 5 counters going and I am 7 people deep in line, during CV19.

Pittsberg brand tools at HF... those I hate. I bought the allen wrenchs, and one broke the first time I used it on a Harley. That pissed me off. I will not buy any Pittsberg, but thats me.

Anyone in Murrieta that wants to see boxs side by side, come on by...

BTW... One thing that I learned when I was scrounging CL and Offer up for a used box... When someone sells a used Snap On, Matco they are normally losing at least 30% of what they paid, minimum. Sometimes they are losing 50% or more. So they paid $5K, and selling for $2500, taking a $2500 hit... I am quite sure I can sell my Harbor Freight used on CL for at least $750, so I would take a $250 hit... That I can live with.. losing thousands... I would rather not.

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
The Predator 3500 is sold out at most shops. For 20 bucks the will deliver it your home via their website . I just online checked out.

I bought a 3500 before this current sale and could only get it online. Just did my first oil change this morning after the 8 hour break in.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I bought a 3500 before this current sale and could only get it online. Just did my first oil change this morning after the 8 hour break in.
Hope I get a legit one. My luck I will get a Friday built one. Only using it for emergency home backup power. I will definitely have to do the proper break in and make sure everything's is good before my warranty is up.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Hope I get a legit one. My luck I will get a Friday built one. Only using it for emergency home backup power. I will definitely have to do the proper break in and make sure everything's is good before my warranty is up.

I did the break in exactly to the directions as well as used Lucas break in oil.

Now I’m running the high zinc diesel oil in it. Figured take every precarion to keep it living.

It’s a back up for home gen. And will use it calming at night to keep things charged and not have to run the big gen in our RV

zhandfull

Reaction score
Ordered the Predator 2000 today online with the 15% off code. Should be fine for watching TV and charging the batteries while boondocking in the Moho.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I did the break in exactly to the directions as well as used Lucas break in oil.

Now I’m running the high zinc diesel oil in it. Figured take every precarion to keep it living.

It’s a back up for home gen. And will use it calming at night to keep things charged and not have to run the big gen in our RV

Break-in period
a. Breaking-in the Engine will help to ensure proper equipment and Engine operation.
b. The break-in period will last about 30 hours of use. DO NOT exceed 75% of the Generator’s running wattage during this period. • Change the engine oil after this period.

Probably smart to change oil much sooner like you did.

May follow this technique.

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Break-in period
a. Breaking-in the Engine will help to ensure proper equipment and Engine operation.
b. The break-in period will last about 30 hours of use. DO NOT exceed 75% of the Generator’s running wattage during this period. • Change the engine oil after this period.

Probably smart to change oil much sooner like you did.

May follow this technique.

I did 8 hours no load. Change oil. 8 hours light load. Change oil. 8 hours high load alternating (used my chest freezer) Change oil.

Now she’s good to go and we are heading to desert this weekend to put it to the test.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

I would run the oil specified in the manual rather than whatever you're using now.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I would run the oil specified in the manual rather than whatever you're using now.

I will stick with what I’m running. Based on the application this was the best oil available same thing in have run in all of my onan gen sets. I have access to some pretty s art people I’m the oil world. Don’t think I didn’t bend their ear on what was the best set up. ;)

Xring01

Reaction score
Holy Guacamole !

BREAKING NEWS---- About to blow your freaking minds....

In my above post, I mentioned that as a Stock Investor/Trader, I would buy HF Stock...

So I did a quick google search this morning because I wanted to reseach HF as a Stock purchase and learned a few key things.

Harbor Freight is a Private Company owned by Eric Smidt, with a HQ in Calabasas CA.

Get ready, to have your socks knocked of.

Guess who owns the majority of Snap On...

BOOOOOMMMMM o_O

Yep Harbor Freight.... I knew I would blow your minds...:eek:

All you guys who worship the ground of Snap ON... Well HF has been the majority owner of Snap On since 2016....;)

As an investor, this makes alot of sense.
Have Snap On focus on the Pro's, while developing multiple price point alternatives for the Non Pro's.
Creating a Win/Win - print $$$.
Back in the day I made alot of money on Bestbuy Stock. Especially when they where opening 4-6 new stores per month time period.
When that dried up, I shifted my Bestbuy stock money into Tractor Supply, because they where opening new stores every month all over the US. Growing 30%/year... made more $$$$....

HF is following that same business model, and making money... But they are not publicly traded... UGGGG. WE could have made some $$$ if they where.

Last edited:

Xring01

Reaction score
Ha ha ha,

That was fun....

Thats an old April Fools Joke that gets people every time...

I am truly cracking myself up...

Gotcha

Echo Lodge

Reaction score

Costco is going to have this on sale for $650... Wondering if this would be a better choice then the Predator?

Consumers gave the Predator a thumbs up.

CR's Take

This midsized inverter generator by Predator does not feature an automatic CO shutoff that stops the engine if carbon monoxide reaches specified limits in an enclosed space, and without that technology it’s not eligible for a CR recommendation. Power delivery and power quality rate Excellent in CR’s tests, and it has most features that make using it easier, though not a fuel gauge. Wheels are very small, making it less maneuverable. Sold by Harbor Freight.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score

Apparently these things don’t like to be babied. Run the piss out of it if you have the warranty and trade it in if you have issues. This dude admittedly didn’t even break his in. Still running with +3k on the clock in two years. Any Honda owners wanna match or beat this?

9F6D32D0-E79F-4CCE-8577-68BD04EF749B.png

Meaney77

Reaction score
You guys see this....