WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hot mop shower pans

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Any hot mop contractors for shower pans in Parker or Havasu ?

boat527

Reaction score
Any hot mop contractors for shower pans in Parker or Havasu ?

There is always DIY if you're up for it..

torch-down-roofing.jpg

nrbr

Reaction score
Check out kerdi shower pan system. I've done about 30 of them with zero issues.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Check out kerdi shower pan system. I've done about 30 of them with zero issues.

Where are you at? Do you want to finish one? I've got the walls done and just have the pan left to do, I'd do it but due to the small confines my knees just can't take it.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have done a few lately with Laticrete Hydroban. I think Rivergames mentioned it so I tried it.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
i like hydro block. its like wedi, but stiffer and cheaper. I would not do it any other way,

rivergames

Reaction score
We use Laticrete Hydroban on 99% of our projects. Not only showers, but large, large areas that need to be water tested. This product can be picked up at any Dal Tile.

Customs Red Guard is also another waterproofing product that might be easier to just get at Home Depot.

Hot mopping works, but is old technology. Plus they start leaking far down the road.

Fluid Applied waterproofing these days is easy to install and hard to screw up. Make sure you use fiberglass where the floor meets the base and tie the drains in properly. Always water test for 24 hours prior to setting tile.

77charger

Reaction score
We use Laticrete Hydroban on 99% of our projects. Not only showers, but large, large areas that need to be water tested. This product can be picked up at any Dal Tile.

Customs Red Guard is also another waterproofing product that might be easier to just get at Home Depot.

Hot mopping works, but is old technology. Plus they start leaking far down the road.

Fluid Applied waterproofing these days is easy to install and hard to screw up. Make sure you use fiberglass where the floor meets the base and tie the drains in properly. Always water test for 24 hours prior to setting tile.
Hot mop has been around for many years still seeing some that are 50 years old and fine. What hurts them now is some will nail lath below the waterline the nail corrodes and there's a hole or other trades carelessly workin in them after wards. Lot of new products but I've also see stuff coming out to replace hot mop for the past 25 years and were busier than ever.

rivergames

Reaction score
Hot mop has been around for many years still seeing some that are 50 years old and fine. What hurts them now is some will nail lath below the waterline the nail corrodes and there's a hole or other trades carelessly workin in them after wards. Lot of new products but I've also see stuff coming out to replace hot mop for the past 25 years and were busier than ever.

I love seeing that mistake when a GC calls and said the other tile companies pan is leaking and they're out of business to fix it! :D

wet hull

Reaction score

I have been educated in all these new systems. I see guys on Instagram all high and mighty about how bullet proof they are. You then look at their pictures and quickly see they do not understand what waterproofing and water control mean. They slap up the wall, install drain, mud float or use a pan system then waterproof the entire thing. With that they cover all the weep holes and essentially have a mini dam around the drain causing pooling between the tile and waterproof-er with no escape route. At least it wont leak:D These systems do have a place, customer with allergies and so on if done right. For me as the owner of the company, I will always go hotmop. 77 Charger and his associates lay down the cleanest tar system around. I can have a pan done for $325, know its bulletproof and a warranty all the while freeing my guys up to perform other work. This makes it a no brainier for me every time.

wet hull

Reaction score
For the guys in Havasu, what is the common method out there? I am getting ready to tear out my master shower and have no clue what I will find. The shower is a 4" recessed floor. I do know my existing tile was laid over drywall.

82daytona

Reaction score
For the guys in Havasu, what is the common method out there? I am getting ready to tear out my master shower and have no clue what I will find. The shower is a 4" recessed floor. I do know my existing tile was laid over drywall.

You'll be lucky to find anything.

77charger

Reaction score
I love seeing that mistake when a GC calls and said the other tile companies pan is leaking and they're out of business to fix it! :D

I bet it can keep you busy so many inexperienced tile guys got in during the boom and destroyed hot mop I saw it a lot in tract work they set scaffold in the pan puncture the floor nailed lath paper all the way down to floor etc. also an inexperienced hot mopper is just as bad we've had them and got rid of them then they go out on their own and do for half price.
Like Jeremy said alternatives do have their place and they are getting better but the worst is the grey rubber liner IMO. Sounds like I may need to get a hitch on my work truck for some havasu play work first thing sat morn play rest of day.

MSum661

Reaction score
I bet it can keep you busy so many inexperienced tile guys got in during the boom and destroyed hot mop I saw it a lot in tract work they set scaffold in the pan puncture the floor nailed lath paper all the way down to floor etc. also an inexperienced hot mopper is just as bad we've had them and got rid of them then they go out on their own and do for half price.
Like Jeremy said alternatives do have their place and they are getting better but the worst is the grey rubber liner IMO. Sounds like I may need to get a hitch on my work truck for some havasu play work first thing sat morn play rest of day.

I was going to ask you if "The Hillbilly" (Bob Fulgham and Sons) was still in business? I guess they are. lol! Been around since 1957.

Kbach

Reaction score
I work for Jim Fulgham for the past 24 years.jim is bobs son.

What areas do you guys serve? I'm in Simi Valley and in the early planning stages of a master bath remodel so if you get up this way I'd rather use somebody from RDP than just googling companies. If you don't get up this way but have any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Hop mop is the only way to go. No nailed/stapled lath in the pan. Put a nail in each weep hole in the drain to keep the tar from plugging them up (then obviously remove them before floating with deck mud. Like was said above, if the weep holes get plugged, the pan fills up with water under the tile. Then it seeps over the curb and leaks onto the outside floor....not good.

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score

Sounds good' I'll buy the hitch :thumbsup

NicPaus

Reaction score
Sounds good' I'll buy the hitch :thumbsup

I have a old tar cookerin my yard. Use to do my own pans. Now it is so cheap with warranty I just sub it out. Sell it if someone wants it.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
What areas do you guys serve? I'm in Simi Valley and in the early planning stages of a master bath remodel so if you get up this way I'd rather use somebody from RDP than just googling companies. If you don't get up this way but have any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Call Jim mills 818.419.2315 tell him Dave Petty sent you. He's old and grumpy but great at shower pans.

77charger

Reaction score
Hop mop is the only way to go. No nailed/stapled lath in the pan. Put a nail in each weep hole in the drain to keep the tar from plugging them up (then obviously remove them before floating with deck mud. Like was said above, if the weep holes get plugged, the pan fills up with water under the tile. Then it seeps over the curb and leaks onto the outside floor....not good.

Heres the thing a good hot mopper does not need nails in the weep holes to keep tar from going in there.It should stop at the edge of the drain And in this case also protect a floor they are leaving.

I guess the old days that was an issue with weep holes and nails as some thought they have to move over the drain flange but it is not needed and if tar did run in them and you pull the nails out they usually pull tar back out and restrict them too.I dont have many pics of my work but this is one.

Attachments

• 12809512_1135585996451438_4741619980635662496_n.jpg
    12809512_1135585996451438_4741619980635662496_n.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 52

77charger

Reaction score
They're good people...everyone one of them. Thx.

Yes they are ive been friends with the family for almost 30 years and drove jim fulghams comp flat in 06 and his bracket boat in 03 04,Was a work bonus :D

77charger

Reaction score

Thanks!

Pm me as it gets closer and ill see what i can do.If doing it on a saturday is fine.

MSum661

Reaction score
Yes they are ive been friends with the family for almost 30 years and drove jim fulghams comp flat in 06 and his bracket boat in 03 04,Was a work bonus :D

Right on! Good for you!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
and there's a reason why.

Ripped out a shower yesterday along with the ceiling below. House built in 1964 and no apparent leaks from the pan.

0808171014.jpg

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
The only reason tile guys do their own pan is they don't want to wait for the hot mopper or they don't want to give that money away.

wet hull

Reaction score
How is RedGard compared to Hot Mopping??

Redguard is not even in the same league. Apples to to stack of crap:D. Redguard when applied properly, 2 coats perpendicular to each other is only forming a very thin membrane. All corners and seams need to be overlapped with 8" fiber roll. Plus you still need to slope the floor to drain prior to apllication. Lots of risk in this method, most do it wrong. I have torn out many shower pans that have been done this way.

Lets talk hotmop, yes it stinks when first applied but can submerge pan after 1 hr to kill the smell. 77 Charger and his guys do their pans the same way every time. They come in with spec mix to float the floor to provide slope to drain. The shitty guys use roofing shingles overlapped and they always flex, watch for that. They then mop the tar on followed by roofing felt, then tar, then felt, then tar, then felt, finally tar to make it all pretty. They also overlap all corners and seams with fiber mesh tape. Bullet proof, unless you shoot it with a bullet:D

I hope I answered your question. I have been in the tile business for along time and will never sacrifice the insurance of a proper pan for saving couple hundred bucks.

NicPaus

Reaction score

I can't get the image to attach. It says slide below to add but no work, tried several times. Thing is old but works when needed. Tires look 30 years old but always hold air. I would let it go for $300. You would have to put in a flat bed trailer to get it to Havasu. Can text pics tomorrow.

77charger

Reaction score
Lets talk hotmop, yes it stinks when first applied but can submerge pan after 1 hr to kill the smell. 77 Charger and his guys do their pans the same way every time. They come in with spec mix to float the floor to provide slope to drain. The shitty guys use roofing shingles overlapped and they always flex, watch for that. They then mop the tar on followed by roofing felt, then tar, then felt, then tar, then felt, finally tar to make it all pretty. They also overlap all corners and seams with fiber mesh tape. Bullet proof, unless you shoot it with a bullet:D

I hope I answered your question. I have been in the tile business for along time and will never sacrifice the insurance of a proper pan for saving couple hundred bucks.

We use to have a customer that left a bag of charcoal cut open and he swore it sucked the smell away after we left.:yikes As for shingle not sure if they are allowed anymore i ve been with my current company for 24 years and always been mortar for slope i couldnt imagine doing it with shingles it takes us 5 min to slope and avg pan.Elio who does most of yours is fast that guy is one of our best employees and a good hard worker and a good guy overall i remember training him he always takes pride in his work not many like him other companies try and poach him from us and he remains loyal.

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Back to the question, does anyone know of a hot mop contractor for shower pans in Parker or Havasu ?