WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hot sauce or Boat candy?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
What do you like and why? I have only ever used hot sauce and I am wondering how well Boat candy works?

Taboma

Reaction score
What do you like and why? I have only ever used hot sauce and I am wondering how well Boat candy works?
Is one of those products connected to the moron who posts in the P&G section ? :rolleyes:

fishing fool

Reaction score
What about xtreme????

I have used them all and like them all.

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
They’re very similar products. Always feels like Boat Candy has more wax in it.! If you over apply you have to work to wipe it off. It also is tougher to work on those 120 degree days Hot Sauce knocks off the water spots better. I prefer it when the boat is docked or beaches overnight for a few days. Very similar to the comparison of Meguirs quik wax vs detailer for cars. IMO.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Here is my review of the 3 mentioned on this thread

-Hot Sauce : THE BEST for getting water spots off. Smells terrible (don't leave a rag in your car overnight) and I think strips the wax faster. I would only use Hot Sauce ONCE a day and that is when we get home and I am drying off or at the beach right before heading back to the slip. During the day, I just splash water up and wipe off with a microfiber.

-Boat Candy & Extreme - Both are very similar in their wax content and how they perform, based on my experience. Not as good at cutting the tough water spots, but do a good job. Both tend to streak in the hot sun. Both provide a very nice "just waxed" shine on the boat after use. Extreme smells really good.

MrMayhem

Reaction score
A few years ago, I became a Meguier’s guy. I use their wax twice a year. A wet towel to wash or wipe down, and boat detailer as needed. I attended the SEMA show and talked to a guy for like an hour. There is science in their products.
Other stuff I tried just seemed to streak as soon as the water hit it in the hot sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
RO water works fine for the days spots, if you let it sit though, any of these products work.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
For wiping down the boat, I used Zip Mist for a long time, it works great and is pretty inexpensive. I switched to Boat Candy, and really liked that. Got a gallon of Teague Shine last year (its Bio Kleen private label) and really liked that as well. Got a bottle of the "new" formulation of Boat Candy at DS, and that stuff kicks ass!!

As for waxing, I've stuck with Mequiars cause it's what I've used and I like it.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
A few years ago, I became a Meguier’s guy. I use their wax twice a year. A wet towel to wash or wipe down, and boat detailer as needed. I attended the SEMA show and talked to a guy for like an hour. There is science in their products.
Other stuff I tried just seemed to streak as soon as the water hit it in the hot sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Maguiars synthetic spray wax, and Ducky first if I need to get off heavy water spots from multiple days.

A days worth of boating dirt and water spots comes off easily with Maguiars spray wax. It is $32 a gallon.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Hot sauce for me. Have not tried Boat Candy but have tried Xtreme and for me it wasn't nearly as good at getting the water spots off as Hot sauce. I use their Quickie sauce after Hot sauce and it has that wet just waxed look. You can put it on in the direct sunlight without streaking and you don't have to work any harder than you would in the garage.

Last edited:

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Either way you're supporting RDP inmates & small businesses so you can't go wrong regardless of your preference. Obviously we appreciate any business that comes our way but there are lots of good choices out there and a flavor for everyone. :)

In case you havent seen our banner ad, remember to use code RDSUX when ordering off www.boatbling.net. Otherwise Bass Pro, West Marine, Amazon, Cabela's, most SoCal and almost every Havasu boat shop should have Hot Sauce in stock.

FYI - There's an Amazon Prime Day promo scheduled for Hot Sauce & Vinyl Sauce gallons if anyone wants to stock up.

-Zack

PS - photo cred Tommy Gun
Screenshot_20180615-085556_Dropbox.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Either way you're supporting RDP inmates & small businesses so you can't go wrong regardless of your preference. Obviously we appreciate any business that comes our way but there are lots of good choices out there and a flavor for everyone. :)

In case you havent seen our banner ad, remember to use code RDSUX when ordering off www.boatbling.net. Otherwise Bass Pro, West Marine, Amazon, Cabela's, most SoCal and almost every Havasu boat shop should have Hot Sauce in stock.

FYI - There's an Amazon Prime Day promo scheduled for Hot Sauce & Vinyl Sauce gallons if anyone wants to stock up.

-Zack

PS - photo cred Tommy Gun View attachment 657149

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
When is this prime day promo?

Boat Bling

Reaction score
When is this prime day promo?
Supposed to be a secret until announced but looks like July 16 or close to it.
Hot Sauce, because I love the smell.
Thanks for the biz! There's no middle ground with the smell. Customers tend to either love or hate it ;) We can mask the acetic acid scent that tends to have some 'bite' but then everyone thinks we changed the formula and freaks out lol.

Crazy that such a tiny amount of diluted glacial acetic acid has such a potent vinegar-like smell. Fun fact, glacial acetic acid gets its name since it freezes at around 62*. Makes winter production interesting at times. That's it for today's chemistry lesson, about to board my flight...lol

-Zack

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Supposed to be a secret until announced but looks like July 16 or close to it.Thanks for the biz! There's no middle ground with the smell. Customers tend to either love or hate it ;) We can mask the acetic acid scent that tends to have some 'bite' but then everyone thinks we changed the formula and freaks out lol.

Crazy that such a tiny amount of diluted glacial acetic acid has such a potent vinegar-like smell. Fun fact, glacial acetic acid gets its name since it freezes at around 62*. Makes winter production interesting at times. That's it for today's chemistry lesson, about to board my flight...lol

-Zack
Thanks for the heads up!

riverroyal

Reaction score
Toon sauce is amazing
Vinyl sauce is still my fav.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Never needed either since I never let spots get on my boats, ever. Wiped down throughout the day with a few different high end spray detailers with light wax. Yeah, I was a lot of fun to boat with. hahahaha. "don't touch that, don't stand there, be careful". "Yes dear, you have to stand on the dock and hold the boat because I don't use fenders because they may touch the gel and I will freak"....Yeah I'm a barrel of F-n monkeys. Yes, I need to lighten up.

However, both seem to work well. We carry Boat Bling, among others and it tends to be the best seller.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Hot Sauce is my go to. Tried the others.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Wet with lake water Micro fiber towel and follow up with a dry one at ramp. I look like Miagi doing wax on/wax off.:p
Touch up missed spots at home with Hot Sause or Bling.

El Chingon

Reaction score
Hot sauce is my Favorite! This morning I tried a competitors test item just to compare but didn't like it at all. I Have tried them all and still circle back to hot sauce/vinyl sauce.Now if Hot Sauce would only bring that cool "Not For Tacos"shirt. I wore that tee until the sleeves fell off.

milkmoney

Reaction score
If I decide to clean the shit box.
I will use performance candy and hot sauce [emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Supposed to be a secret until announced but looks like July 16 or close to it.Thanks for the biz! There's no middle ground with the smell. Customers tend to either love or hate it ;) We can mask the acetic acid scent that tends to have some 'bite' but then everyone thinks we changed the formula and freaks out lol.

-Zack
Bring back transom sauce

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Neither. Make your own mix
Theres a secret recipe around here somewhere
That is what I use. Works great. The formula I use originally came from Outlaw on the boards.

I do want to try the vinyl cleaners from the companies mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sunset

Reaction score
Hot Sauce put it on yesterday in sun at 117 degrees and and works great.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score

-Zack

How about an RDP special run with the additive to mask the acetic acid scent? I would be in for a few gallons.

My wife says that when she thinks of the river she thinks of the sound of a spray bottle being sprayed. Guess I'm a little OCD and your products help with that, so thank you, lol.

nrbr

Reaction score
We had one of the flatbottoms ceramic coated and its insane how easy it is to clean!!! I hope to do the spectra after I fix a boo boo

4Waters

Reaction score
I've wondered this exact thing but didn't want to start a Ford vs Chevy type thing. LOL

RCDave

Reaction score
1970's douche bag mix combined with late era wax! Shine on wax on wax off!!! Lol

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I have been using the Driven products for the gell on my Hallett for over 12 years.
Very satisfied.
For the upholstery I use a product from Color Glo International.
One ounce of cleaner to 32 ounces of distilled water in a spray bottle.
It will not break down the UV protection in the vinyl.
I follow up with a wipe down with distilled water on the upholstery.
This is what the owner of the upholstery shop recommended when I picked the boat up.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Vinyl sauce for interior, Teague shine for water spots