WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hot Sauce Tuesday - Boating in New Areas

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Been a brutal past few weeks of prep and travel, time to get the Hot Sauce Tuesday's rolling once again. Spent the past week in Orlando and having lived in Phoenix for the past 10 years one would think you would be accustomed to all manner of heat but WOW, 95* & 90%+ humidity is an entirely different world! I actually ran out of shirts by the last day:skull

Our team was in Orlando for ICAST, the international sportfshing show. The kickoff event was a media fishing tournament held on Lake Toho about 30 min outside of town where we set up a wipedown station as boats came off the water. This proved to be a great way to interact with industry insiders and gain exposure to media covering the event. As a performance boater/watersports enthusiast, the fishing market is still a little foreign to me but the lakes these guys travel 1000's of miles to fish are pretty awesome and I always wonder what it would be like to blast down the tree lined waterways at 100+ although on Lake Toho you could be dodging alligators.

That brings us to this week's Hot Sauce Tuesday Challenge. Post the most remote location where you've boated and the travel required to get there. Best story combined with most remote locale wins 2 FREE quarts of Boat Bling product or a $50 credit to the online store at www.boatbling.net. We'll choose the winner Wednesday evening and announce on Thursday. If you haven't figured out already, photos help the cause:)

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Islmorada Fla...Back and forth between the atlantic and the gulf Years 86-96 then inbetween Ft Lauderdale, Lauderdale By the Sea, Pompono Beach,And LightHouse Point Fla...Need to scan some pics:thumbup::skull:champagne:

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Islmorada Fla...Back and forth between the atlantic and the gulf Years 86-96 then inbetween Ft Lauderdale, Lauderdale By the Sea, Pompono Beach,And LightHouse Point Fla...Need to scan some pics:thumbup::skull:champagne:

I should win this one Patrick...:D:D

Boat Bling

Reaction score
I should win this one Patrick...:D:D

Not bad AJ! Checked out Cocoa Beach & Cape Canaveral while out there last week. Pretty cool spot except for the humidity, spiders, frogs, alligators, armadillos, etc lol

FYI - we don't let Patrick near the forums anymore :skull (Zack here)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Remote being farthest away from everything? Or remote being farthest away from home?

For me it would have to be either Jacksonville Florida, or Miami.. I'm working on pics (even if I can't win)

RD

NicPaus

Reaction score
Tustamena Lake in Alaska.

Flew out of LAX to Anchorage Alaska. From there we rented a car and drove to my Dad's friends house in Soldatna "Wild Bill". It was scenic drive and one of the main things I recall was the moose counts on the highway. Each stretch would post how many moose had been hit for that year. Our trip was actually delayed as his wife had hit a moose a few days earlier totalling her F250. We arrived in Soldatna and stayed at Bills office pad where he lived and worked before building one hell of a spread right on the river. His house was right in the middle of the wilderness and animal encounters were often. One of his dogs had been bit earlier before we arrived and he had to shoot a nuisance grizzly a few years prior that was attacking the neighbors animals. Was larger than the one he shot on Kodiak island and was recorded in Boone and Crocket. He had the skulls in his game room along with many others.

The next stretch was from Bills house in Soldatna to the lake. We had to use his old f250 as his wife was driving the new f350. We pulled his Lunde aluminum fishing boat out and hit the road. Another nice scenic drive up to the lake. We stopped for fuel and got what we needed for a few days. We crossed the lake to where Bill's friend owns a cabin in the middle of no where. He had a bad ass twin jet boat anchored out and the cabin was all but 12' x 20' looked like a shack. me made camp there for the night and ate dinner. His friend had a lot of good stories and had made a killing working on the pipeline. The cabin was one of a few that could be owned on the lake if I recall correctly. After hearing the stories of how the lake can get nasty fast and how the boat out there was 100k and unsinkable for a reason. I started thinking about the trip back.

Next morning we loaded the boat and headed up a few miles to the base of the mountain that leads to Tustamena Glacier. This was a prime area for bear hunting and the plan was to hike in to the highland above where the Grizzlys hang out. The black bears get chased out from the grizzlys and his biologist friend had reported seeing a bunch the week before. He also mentioned seeing just as many Grizzlys and to stay in a group and make a lot of noise going through the thick brush areas. We tracked a few up to the point where we could over look the Glacier. Never got a shot but saw some a few hundred yards out. bill was willing to go further tracking them and was going to call in a food drop from his BIL's Helo but me and my brother were beat at that point. We were few days out and he mentioned atleat 2 trips to pack it out to the boat which was at the bottom of the mountain.

We stayed one more night and made the hike back to the boat. A storm watch had come through and we jumped in the boat and headed across the lake. About half way there we had 3-4' swells and he headed to the shore line. The swells slowed us way down and hugging the shore it soon got dark. Bill knows Alaska better than most and navigated us with a flashlight back to the vicinity we needed to be. It was to dark to see the ramp and out of no where some headlights light up and a guy starts fishing at the ramp. We pull in load the boat and it never felt so good to be back on land. That little aluminum boat handled it and the Honda outboard never missed a beat but the lake condition reminded me of a Tahoe trip.

We were headed back to his house when he got the call. Wife hit another moose and totaled his new F350. Made it back to his place and then next day drove back to Anchorage and then flew back to LAX. He has offered for us to come back out and I wish I could do a 2 week trip to see more.

I have a bunch of pictures but need a scanner took a pic of a pic with my Brother over looking the lake.

Attachments

• Lake tustamena 010.jpg
    Lake tustamena 010.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 18
  • map-of-tustumena-region.700x700.jpg
    map-of-tustumena-region.700x700.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 20

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Probably doesn't count, but two pretty exotic places. Lake Tanganyika, Tanzania fished for Nile Perch. And The Kafue River, below Iteshi-Teshi lake in Zambia. Had to dodge crocs and hippos fishing for what they call bream, we call bass.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
1998 Marvin d Adams "cut" between the Gulf of Mexico (jut north of the Caribbean club)
And the Atlantic Ocean to the east (key largo John pemmican park)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437522501.334030.jpg

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
The cut was literally cut out of coral to allow boat travel between the gulf and Atlantic

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Hauled that boat from Howell mi to the keys for 3 and half months
Dicking around lol

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Remote being farthest away from everything? Or remote being farthest away from home?

For me it would have to be either Jacksonville Florida, or Miami.. I'm working on pics (even if I can't win)

RD

Q: Farthest away from home or civilization
A: Yes:D

Let's see the pics RD.

Cool photos & stories so far! It's fun to see where the RDP inmates venture beyond the channel:thumbup: I think there's going to be tight competition this week.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
1998 Marvin d Adams "cut" between the Gulf of Mexico (jut north of the Caribbean club)
And the Atlantic Ocean to the east (key largo John pemmican park)
View attachment 421365

First Out Board boat after years of inboards 28 Scarab with a single 250 Yamaha Saltwater Series Great boat to fish dive off of in the Keys Baby:thumbup:

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Probably doesn't count, but two pretty exotic places. Lake Tanganyika, Tanzania fished for Nile Perch. And The Kafue River, below Iteshi-Teshi lake in Zambia. Had to dodge crocs and hippos fishing for what they call bream, we call bass.
Post some of your trip photos. Would be like having our own personal episode of River Monsters here on RDP. :thumbup:

The cut was literally cut out of coral to allow boat travel between the gulf and Atlantic
Pretty cool, I wonder how long it took to clear that cut? Closest I've seen to that is the cut at Lake Powell.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I just watched River Monsters last night and was thinking the same thing!! Your real name Jeremy NGANGA?

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Vanua Levu Island in Fiji in 2002 (our 2nd trip to Fiji).

Flight from LAX was 14 hours to Nadi, and then another 1 hour puddle jumper flight to Savusavu. Long flight.

Obviously, we weren't on our own boat, but we were boating none the less.

Took the little jet boat in the background out in the bay:

IMG21.JPG

Resort (Lomalagi) that we stayed at:

IMG22.JPG

Local village that we visited. this was their church. These people wanted nothing from us but a smile. It was great..... Yes, that's me, about 40 pounds lighter and with hair.... :

IMG15.JPG

Awesome trip...... :thumbup:

Patyacht

Reaction score
Chatterbox Falls British Columbia in 1979 in a 26' cruiser. Very desolate with no telephone or any services other than a dock. 100 NM north of Vancouver, B.C. by boat. You can only get there by boat or sea plan. No roads. Said to be John Wayne's favorite place to boat. You have to go through Malibu Rapids to get there and enter Princess Louisa Inlet.

Chatterbox Falls: http://cruisingnw.com/destinations/sunshine-coast/chatterbox-falls/

Chatterbox Falls Video: [video=youtube;NyXbZHfTjpc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyXbZHfTjpc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyXbZHfTjpc[/video]

Malibu Rapids Video: http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com/transiting-malibu-rapids-to-gain-access-to-princess-louisa-inlet-and-chatterbox-falls/#.Va_ZF6RVhBc

Chatterbox79.jpg

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Picking the winner this evening, make those final pics count! :thumbup:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
More Zambezi. Bridges are not frequent.

IMG_2864.jpg

The swimming pool isn't any safer. Look behind.

IMG_2782.jpg

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
CAR (Central African Republic) Does this count as a boat?

IMG_3533.jpg

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Vanua Levu Island in Fiji in 2002 (our 2nd trip to Fiji).

Flight from LAX was 14 hours to Nadi, and then another 1 hour puddle jumper flight to Savusavu. Long flight.

Obviously, we weren't on our own boat, but we were boating none the less.

Took the little jet boat in the background out in the bay:

View attachment 421571

Resort (Lomalagi) that we stayed at:

View attachment 421572

Local village that we visited. this was their church. These people wanted nothing from us but a smile. It was great..... Yes, that's me, about 40 pounds lighter and with hair.... :

View attachment 421573

Awesome trip...... :thumbup:
Would love to check out Fiji sometime soon. Great photos!

:D

View attachment 421574

I'll post some up tonight. I don't have any from Africa on my work computer.
That's a lot of fish tacos!

Chatterbox Falls British Columbia in 1979 in a 26' cruiser. Very desolate with no telephone or any services other than a dock. 100 NM north of Vancouver, B.C. by boat. You can only get there by boat or sea plan. No roads. Said to be John Wayne's favorite place to boat. You have to go through Malibu Rapids to get there and enter Princess Louisa Inlet.

Chatterbox Falls: http://cruisingnw.com/destinations/sunshine-coast/chatterbox-falls/

Chatterbox Falls Video: [video=youtube;NyXbZHfTjpc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyXbZHfTjpc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyXbZHfTjpc[/video]

Malibu Rapids Video: http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com/transiting-malibu-rapids-to-gain-access-to-princess-louisa-inlet-and-chatterbox-falls/#.Va_ZF6RVhBc

View attachment 421576
Always heard the boating up there is spectacular. Would love to check it out. Family friend is keeping his boat near Vancouver for the summer before he brings it back down the coast to Mexico.

NGANGA you ran away with this one! Thanks for posting the pics:thumbup: Please send me a PM or email [email protected] with your address, phone #, and product selection and we'll send out your package ASAP. Or if you would prefer, we can set up a credit on www.boatbling.net.