WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hot Sauce Tuesday - Close Calls

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Reading through the forums the past couple days it looks like last weekend was a little hairy on the water. 3 accidents in Parker plus RD and family's adventure coming home from Topock in the dark (amazing pics BTW :D:D).

This week we'd like you to share the closest near miss you've ever had while boating. Plenty of idiots on and around the water so the stories should be plentiful. We'll pick the top post Wednesday evening and announce the winner Thursday. Winning inmate will receive 2 free quarts of Boat Bling product shipped to their door OR $50 credit toward an order on www.boatbling.net

I'll kick it off. 4th of July weekend a couple years ago at Lake Pleasant we had just loaded the boat onto the trailer and were beginning to pull out of the water. Several horn blasts got everyone's attention as a car came barreling down the ramp at 30+mph blaring its horn while swerving around several bystanders and rigs backed into the water. The car smashed into the lake throwing water everywhere and time seemed to stand still for a few seconds while we all asked ourselves if that really just happened?:yikes

The car hit the lake hard enough that it came to a stop w/in a few feet as the water reached the window level and a few of us helped open the door, get it into park and apply the e-brake. The 20-something female driver was in a different world asking why the floor was so wet and insisting that her friends told her to meet them at the ramp:rolleyes but she seemed OK aside from a few scrapes on her face & chest from the airbag and seatbelt. Still pretty crazy to think about it and how close she came to taking out multiple people along with herself.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
My tales are the usual jet ski'er u-turning right in front of me, and watching it happen for several seconds before the actual turn. Several times I have tapped a passenger, pointed at the skier closer to the shore and said "watch this" and then the hard left as I have to swerve out of the way of hitting them.

2 trips ago was the most shook I have been and it was on Desert Center. I was driving towards Parker at night and from quite a distance saw some headlights coming, and after a while, they appeared to be side by side, still at a decent distance. I thought it was an illusion with the bend in the road. As they get a bit closer it still looks funny, so I slow down to about 50. Wait another 8 seconds or so, slow down to 30, a few more seconds, I pick my spot in the shoulder and desert and bail off the road part way as 2 BMW's finally decide to get in the same lane. I will say they were having a dick measuring contest for about 2 miles at least. My stomach was effed the rest of the way to the river. My closest call I ever saw coming, my two head on collisions were both not my fault and blind to see them develop (car in front of me kind of thing.) This trip I knocked the fresh bottle of booze off the counter at night but caught it before it hit the ground, close call :rolleyes :thumbup: Take those any day of the week.

She's Mine

Reaction score
These are my closest calls I care to have. These experiences as well as HP Driving School has helped me identify upcoming hazards easier.

1st one was my first time to Parker on a July 4th weekend. It was about 5 or 6 years ago on the 4th of July weekend. We get there before the busy weekends starts and take the boat out Friday afternoon with a couple of friends, which have a house in The Keys, my ex-wife and our two little ones. We run up river to the damn and chill for a while and enjoy the quietness of a Friday. On our way back we are cruising down the middle of the river about 70-75mph having a nice smooth ride, as we approach Fox?s we are gaining on this blue deck boat with flames so I start to watch him to see if he turns around to look for traffic. No head turn so I believe he is going to continue down river like us but I was wrong. Just has be passes Fox?s he makes a hard left right in front on us. I do an evasive maneuver and turn hard right, my friends grab both my kids as they fly from the seat to the floor and the spray from our boat soaks the deck boat but no collision. My heart is pounding, my eyes are wide open, I am thankful I was backing off the throttles before we get too close just in case he doesn?t see me. I?ve been boating my entire life and this was the first close call I have personally experienced.

2nd one was about 4 years ago on Labor Day weekend. One of my lifelong friends flew out from Michigan for a little best friends reunion in Havasu. She hasn?t been to Havasu is at least 10 years. We used to go 3 times a month back when we were fresh out of high school. So anyways, we decided to spend a little time in Steamboat Cove for the first day of the trip. ? way thru the day we wanted to go for a boat ride up to Pirates Cove. Since we are going to be on the river I have everyone where headsets so we can all talk. There are five of us in the boat and I tell everyone 10 eyes are better than 2, so don?t be afraid to say something even if you think I see it. As we start heading north from SB Cove and get close to Site 6 I slow it down, everyone knows how crazy that ramp is on a holiday weekend. We are north of the ramp when a jet ski runs up on my starboard side and a guy in a vee bottom stars merging over to my side of the lake. I have most of my attention on the jet skier because they are so unpredictable and since I am not in the reflection of the sun the vee bottom should see me. Right at the point of the island we are running almost side by side by side. Then the jet skier slows down to head to the beach, what a God send, because a second later everyone in my boat yells HARD RIGHT into the HEAD SETS. Just then the guy in the vee bottom makes a right turn and just about side swipes us. Thank goodness the jet skier had slowed down or this would have been disastrous. The next thing I know my friends is standing up yelling at the vee bottom as the guy turns left and motors away from us.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
I'll kick it off. 4th of July weekend a couple years ago at Lake Pleasant we had just loaded the boat onto the trailer and were beginning to pull out of the water. Several horn blasts got everyone's attention as a car came barreling down the ramp at 30+mph blaring its horn while swerving around several bystanders and rigs backed into the water. The car smashed into the lake throwing water everywhere and time seemed to stand still for a few seconds while we all asked ourselves if that really just happened?:yikes

I was anchored right by the ramp for the fireworks show with some friends that night and we watched it happen. We always wondered what the back story was on that.
She had that ramp tied up for a long time while the cops investigated and waiting on the wrecker came to haul the car out of the water.
We were staying overnight so it was just entertainment for us.

prosthogod

Reaction score
1- The first weekend I was bringing my brand new HTM SR24 home from Havasu, I driving east on I10 towards Phoenix. It is early in am so roads are light. Just some truckers. I'm listening to music with a big smile on my face cause I'm towing a brand new boat , and I see this dark spot up ahead in my lane. I then realize the dark spot is getting bigger and coming at me. At the last second I realize it is a truck speeding towards me and I swerve into the next lane. Thank god no one was there. I also knew there were two semis next to each other right behind me. All I saw in my rear view mirror was a cloud of dust in the desert. I immediatly called 911 and they said cops were already in route, so this guy must have been on the wrong side for awhile. They said it is usually suicide in motive. Let me tell you 2 cars traveling at 80mph at each other is FAST!. I did pull over and throw my underwear out.

2-At Windsor about 10 yrs ago , it is packed and we launched friday afternoon. I'm coming back in to pick up the wife who parks the truck. I am waiting patiently along with 4 other boats, and this lady pulls her chapparel boat off the trailer full power and whips a left turn. She is coming perpendicular to my boat and another. She sees what she had done and goes to try and stop her boat from colliding with the tip of my sponson with her hand. We all screamed for her not to do that and crash/pop/screams and blood! She pinched the end of her finger off. Her daughter sees it and starts screaming as if her head was cut off. I back out of the way and went and beached my boat on the rocks next to the ramp. I dive in to find the finger(bad move). I come up and realize there are a lot of boats around and decide my life isn't worth her finger and got out of the water.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
I was anchored right by the ramp for the fireworks show with some friends that night and we watched it happen. We always wondered what the back story was on that.
She had that ramp tied up for a long time while the cops investigated and waiting on the wrecker came to haul the car out of the water.
We were staying overnight so it was just entertainment for us.
Not the 1st or last time someone will drive into the lake but she did it like she meant it!:skull

These are my closest calls I care to have. These experiences as well as HP Driving School has helped me identify upcoming hazards easier.

1st one was my first time to Parker on a July 4th weekend. It was about 5 or 6 years ago on the 4th of July weekend. We get there before the busy weekends starts and take the boat out Friday afternoon with a couple of friends, which have a house in The Keys, my ex-wife and our two little ones. We run up river to the damn and chill for a while and enjoy the quietness of a Friday. On our way back we are cruising down the middle of the river about 70-75mph having a nice smooth ride, as we approach Fox?s we are gaining on this blue deck boat with flames so I start to watch him to see if he turns around to look for traffic. No head turn so I believe he is going to continue down river like us but I was wrong. Just has be passes Fox?s he makes a hard left right in front on us. I do an evasive maneuver and turn hard right, my friends grab both my kids as they fly from the seat to the floor and the spray from our boat soaks the deck boat but no collision. My heart is pounding, my eyes are wide open, I am thankful I was backing off the throttles before we get too close just in case he doesn?t see me. I?ve been boating my entire life and this was the first close call I have personally experienced.

2nd one was about 4 years ago on Labor Day weekend. One of my lifelong friends flew out from Michigan for a little best friends reunion in Havasu. She hasn?t been to Havasu is at least 10 years. We used to go 3 times a month back when we were fresh out of high school. So anyways, we decided to spend a little time in Steamboat Cove for the first day of the trip. ? way thru the day we wanted to go for a boat ride up to Pirates Cove. Since we are going to be on the river I have everyone where headsets so we can all talk. There are five of us in the boat and I tell everyone 10 eyes are better than 2, so don?t be afraid to say something even if you think I see it. As we start heading north from SB Cove and get close to Site 6 I slow it down, everyone knows how crazy that ramp is on a holiday weekend. We are north of the ramp when a jet ski runs up on my starboard side and a guy in a vee bottom stars merging over to my side of the lake. I have most of my attention on the jet skier because they are so unpredictable and since I am not in the reflection of the sun the vee bottom should see me. Right at the point of the island we are running almost side by side by side. Then the jet skier slows down to head to the beach, what a God send, because a second later everyone in my boat yells HARD RIGHT into the HEAD SETS. Just then the guy in the vee bottom makes a right turn and just about side swipes us. Thank goodness the jet skier had slowed down or this would have been disastrous. The next thing I know my friends is standing up yelling at the vee bottom as the guy turns left and motors away from us.
There's a solid blue Carrera deck with orange flames that used to run Parker quite often, I wonder if it's the same boat.

1- The first weekend I was bringing my brand new HTM SR24 home from Havasu, I driving east on I10 towards Phoenix. It is early in am so roads are light. Just some truckers. I'm listening to music with a big smile on my face cause I'm towing a brand new boat , and I see this dark spot up ahead in my lane. I then realize the dark spot is getting bigger and coming at me. At the last second I realize it is a truck speeding towards me and I swerve into the next lane. Thank god no one was there. I also knew there were two semis next to each other right behind me. All I saw in my rear view mirror was a cloud of dust in the desert. I immediatly called 911 and they said cops were already in route, so this guy must have been on the wrong side for awhile. They said it is usually suicide in motive. Let me tell you 2 cars traveling at 80mph at each other is FAST!. I did pull over and throw my underwear out.

2-At Windsor about 10 yrs ago , it is packed and we launched friday afternoon. I'm coming back in to pick up the wife who parks the truck. I am waiting patiently along with 4 other boats, and this lady pulls her chapparel boat off the trailer full power and whips a left turn. She is coming perpendicular to my boat and another. She sees what she had done and goes to try and stop her boat from colliding with the tip of my sponson with her hand. We all screamed for her not to do that and crash/pop/screams and blood! She pinched the end of her finger off. Her daughter sees it and starts screaming as if her head was cut off. I back out of the way and went and beached my boat on the rocks next to the ramp. I dive in to find the finger(bad move). I come up and realize there are a lot of boats around and decide my life isn't worth her finger and got out of the water.
I can hear the crash-pop-gush from here :puke:

Icky

Reaction score
Short version, we hit idiot rock at night in parker in February 12 years ago or so. Ejected 5 of the 6 people out of the boat, 6th stayed in cause she was ducking cause it was so cold out. I woke up under water, figured my friends at tossed me in cause I passed out in the back of the boat. Nope they were with me, boats Turning in circles, she finally figures out how to shut it off. We do a head count, realize one is missing, he was in bow, he flew further.
By the time I got to him he had just gone under for good, he's panicking and not swimming, I'm trying to swim him back but he's drowning me, yelled for help thinking I'm gonna have to let my friend drown to save my own life. Another friend gets there and helps me swim him back to the boat. Get on the boat and it's sinking, lucky us. Another friend is yelling don't start the boat , I say if we don't start it we might as all get back in the water. Driver says fuck it starts the boat and hammers down to were it sunk on shore at echo. I think every agency responded to us that night, both CA and az.

Yes that was the short version, everyone lived everyone still goes out there, but we stop and pay our respects to the rock every time we pass it. maybe that's why we are all so anal about safety while boating now, and I wear my lanyard all the time.

BTW the driver blew a 0.00

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
While southbound at the south end of the lake at about 35 mph with our daughter and boy friend sitting in the bow of our open bow boat, had a PWC pass us on the right doing 60+, when those yellow and black ones first came out. They passed us. But, about 60 yards out they did a u-turn at speed. Now they are approaching our stbd bow at a combined speed of 80+. Apparently realized we were going to collide. Then they jumped off. Now we have an unmanned PWC rapidly skipping across the water at our stbd bow. All I could do was let off the throttle and turn away from the rapidly approaching, out of control PWC. Fortunately, this raised our bow and provided a large profile for this derelict PWC to slam in to. The force of the collision knocked all of us to the deck. The PWC had split our hull about 5 feet long just above the waterline. We did not sink. MOST IMPORTANT it had NOT come over the top and taken out our daughter and her friend.

I cautiously went over to the 2 PWC riders who had jumped to see if they were ok. They were. When we spoke with them they said they were 8 and 10 yrs old ! ! Called SBCS, who later reported that the kids told them exactly the same story. BUT, all the adults at their camp - who didn't even see the collision, totally lied about the whole thing. Location, ages, speeds etc. Totally stoned dirt bags. Thank God, no one was injured or killed.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Not eligible as it didn't happen to me but funny non the less. As told to me by a life guard.
I was standing on the dock and hear a big CRASH! Turn to look expecting a boat to have rammed the dock, and see a wheel flying down the dock at about 60. Take a step forward and it goes right behind me, takes another bounce on the dock, and into the water. Looked around, saw no one that even remotely looked like they were missing anything, and went on with the day.
I thought that was pretty bizarre.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Short version, we hit idiot rock at night in parker in February 12 years ago or so. Ejected 5 of the 6 people out of the boat, 6th stayed in cause she was ducking cause it was so cold out. I woke up under water, figured my friends at tossed me in cause I passed out in the back of the boat. Nope they were with me, boats Turning in circles, she finally figures out how to shut it off. We do a head count, realize one is missing, he was in bow, he flew further.
By the time I got to him he had just gone under for good, he's panicking and not swimming, I'm trying to swim him back but he's drowning me, yelled for help thinking I'm gonna have to let my friend drown to save my own life. Another friend gets there and helps me swim him back to the boat. Get on the boat and it's sinking, lucky us. Another friend is yelling don't start the boat , I say if we don't start it we might as all get back in the water. Driver says fuck it starts the boat and hammers down to were it sunk on shore at echo. I think every agency responded to us that night, both CA and az.

Yes that was the short version, everyone lived everyone still goes out there, but we stop and pay our respects to the rock every time we pass it. maybe that's why we are all so anal about safety while boating now, and I wear my lanyard all the time.

Where is idiot rock in parker? Not familiar with the places in parker

NicPaus

Reaction score
Where is idiot rock in parker? Not familiar with the places in parker

Right across from Echo gas dock just north of Sundance, it now has some solar lights on it for the past 4 years. After a roll bar boat hit it and 2 life flighted friend had his kids add a few lights That was the 12th time that year it was hit that I know of. Have not seen anyone hit it since except the ginger bread boat in the light parade. Before that every few weekends. Heard a few more stories 2 trips ago after meeting a new neighbor who has been right there at Echo for 20+ years.

I nominate Icky as the winner!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My closest call involves other members here and Id rather not remind them of almost running his boat aground at the bend across from the keys. Lol

Your ad here

Reaction score
Every time I go to Parker. So many terrible boaters there it's hard to remember a specific close call with others. I did have an oh shit moment I won't forget. Brother was driving the jet boat at parker going about 25 mph and the crank snapped right before castle shores lagoon going down river. Since we did not have power we did not have steering and the boat was headed towards the rocks. Thankfully it came to a stop before the rocks and then the current took us right into the lagoon. One time coming back from Lake Powell on the 89 going south we were in the 2 lane section of the road (temp passing lane) and a Northbound driver was passing another northbound driver in the southbound passing lane and all 3 of us crossed paths at the same time. What was scary was I did not see or notice it until the guy was going right pass my door. I've witnessed a Chevy dually launching a boat get sucked into the river at buckskin. That thing floated for a good 15 min.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
While southbound at the south end of the lake at about 35 mph with our daughter and boy friend sitting in the bow of our open bow boat, had a PWC pass us on the right doing 60+, when those yellow and black ones first came out. They passed us. But, about 60 yards out they did a u-turn at speed. Now they are approaching our stbd bow at a combined speed of 80+. Apparently realized we were going to collide. Then they jumped off. Now we have an unmanned PWC rapidly skipping across the water at our stbd bow. All I could do was let off the throttle and turn away from the rapidly approaching, out of control PWC. Fortunately, this raised our bow and provided a large profile for this derelict PWC to slam in to. The force of the collision knocked all of us to the deck. The PWC had split our hull about 5 feet long just above the waterline. We did not sink. MOST IMPORTANT it had NOT come over the top and taken out our daughter and her friend.

I cautiously went over to the 2 PWC riders who had jumped to see if they were ok. They were. When we spoke with them they said they were 8 and 10 yrs old ! ! Called SBCS, who later reported that the kids told them exactly the same story. BUT, all the adults at their camp - who didn't even see the collision, totally lied about the whole thing. Location, ages, speeds etc. Totally stoned dirt bags. Thank God, no one was injured or killed.
Wow, hard to believe the just ditched the ski. You're right, could have been a lot worse.

Not eligible as it didn't happen to me but funny non the less. As told to me by a life guard.
I was standing on the dock and hear a big CRASH! Turn to look expecting a boat to have rammed the dock, and see a wheel flying down the dock at about 60. Take a step forward and it goes right behind me, takes another bounce on the dock, and into the water. Looked around, saw no one that even remotely looked like they were missing anything, and went on with the day.
I thought that was pretty bizarre.
Hahaha, someone had a bad day

My closest call involves other members here and Id rather not remind them of almost running his boat aground at the bend across from the keys. Lol
That bend has taken out a lot of boats over the years:(

When my condom broke at la paz
Runner up to Campbell Carl running out of ice:D

Every time I go to Parker. So many terrible boaters there it's hard to remember a specific close call with others. I did have an oh shit moment I won't forget. Brother was driving the jet boat at parker going about 25 mph and the crank snapped right before castle shores lagoon going down river. Since we did not have power we did not have steering and the boat was headed towards the rocks. Thankfully it came to a stop before the rocks and then the current took us right into the lagoon. One time coming back from Lake Powell on the 89 going south we were in the 2 lane section of the road (temp passing lane) and a Northbound driver was passing another northbound driver in the southbound passing lane and all 3 of us crossed paths at the same time. What was scary was I did not see or notice it until the guy was going right pass my door. I've witnessed a Chevy dually launching a boat get sucked into the river at buckskin. That thing floated for a good 15 min.
Hadn't considered the near misses while towing. Probably more than enough for another thread.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Wow, hard to believe the just ditched the ski. You're right, could have been a lot worse.

Hahaha, someone had a bad day

That bend has taken out a lot of boats over the years:(

Runner up to Campbell Carl running out of ice:D

Hadn't considered the near misses while towing. Probably more than enough for another thread.
Actually, i forgot, after that happened you guys gave me and the girl a ride to the Blue Water in your DCB. Lol!

mobldj

Reaction score
ok,i wll play. 3 years ago on a nice evening me and my buddy rick kerr on his wildcat ( now no diggs boat ) and our familys went out for a night ride in Thompson bay.we were just sitting out there chillin,having a drink and im in the front seat full forward and off in the distance I see nav lights coming our way,no biggy right. our nav lights are on and I look again and the boat in the distance is still coming.ok so what.then its closer and closer me being up front yell back to rick at the console,hey rick this boats getting close.i'll be dam if the boat still keeps heading right at us.now I look back and say,hey rick this fucker is coming right at us,rick fires up the boat and hits reverse .rick goes left the other goes left right he goes right .now its getting serious and again to rick,this mother fucker is going to ram us,now we have 8 bodies on board and its a lose squirrell contest.rick was in nuetral again,blowing his horn,revin the engine and im still up front now with one foot on the rail getting ready to jump (someone had to live to tell the tale).I swear milisecounds before I bailed this asshole made a hard left.he was in a cuddy cabin something or other and stopped after the turn.his wash came clear over the bow that's how close he was. I of course yelled at rick to go over to the boat while yelling the whole time you stupid mother fucker.when we got close wife says she saw a gun on his hip.he turned off his nav lights a high tailed it.i swear when he turned right before splittin ricks boat in two I saw a girl on her knees doing her thing.that was a crazy night .all we did the rest of the trip was talk about how we coulda died that night.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Actually, i forgot, after that happened you guys gave me and the girl a ride to the Blue Water in your DCB. Lol!
That was a weekend for the books:thumbup:

ok,i wll play. 3 years ago on a nice evening me and my buddy rick kerr on his wildcat ( now no diggs boat ) and our familys went out for a night ride in Thompson bay.we were just sitting out there chillin,having a drink and im in the front seat full forward and off in the distance I see nav lights coming our way,no biggy right. our nav lights are on and I look again and the boat in the distance is still coming.ok so what.then its closer and closer me being up front yell back to rick at the console,hey rick this boats getting close.i'll be dam if the boat still keeps heading right at us.now I look back and say,hey rick this fucker is coming right at us,rick fires up the boat and hits reverse .rick goes left the other goes left right he goes right .now its getting serious and again to rick,this mother fucker is going to ram us,now we have 8 bodies on board and its a lose squirrell contest.rick was in nuetral again,blowing his horn,revin the engine and im still up front now with one foot on the rail getting ready to jump (someone had to live to tell the tale).I swear milisecounds before I bailed this asshole made a hard left.he was in a cuddy cabin something or other and stopped after the turn.his wash came clear over the bow that's how close he was. I of course yelled at rick to go over to the boat while yelling the whole time you stupid mother fucker.when we got close wife says she saw a gun on his hip.he turned off his nav lights a high tailed it.i swear when he turned right before splittin ricks boat in two I saw a girl on her knees doing her thing.that was a crazy night .all we did the rest of the trip was talk about how we coulda died that night.
If it's any consolation, the gun-toting cuddy driver probably had a case of blue balls after that:skull

HotRod82

Reaction score
Waaaay back in 1993 during Memorial weekend, me and two friends were cruising back to Fisher's Landing on the lower river. Back then, the LEO's would all line up across the river about 1/4 mle up from Martinez. It was almost dark with lots of traffic headed downriver. Just as we get to the LEO blockade, my old flatbottom dies. I somehow managed to get the manual fuel valve half open to both tanks and we ran it completely dry, no problem I thought, stick on the suction cup lights and float the half mile or so to Fisher's. One of the Leo's comes over to us and asks if we need help, I told him the situation and he actually offered to tow us in but I declined telling him the ramp is a zoo right now anyway. We floated quite a while alongside the LEO and now it was DARK, no moon, cloudy, really dark. We then hear a jetboat come out of Martinez and it is screaming right toward us, LEO says "can you guys see him?" We don't see a thing. Just then a blown 19' Daytona appears out of the dark and is headed right for us, at the last second the driver jerks the wheel and misses us by inches and flies right between us and the LEO - we are less than 20' apart. The Daytona chops the throttle and is lit up by three spotlights from the surrounding LEO boats. To my surprise, the dude hits the gas and takes off! He is chased by the entire Police force, the next day, the Leo we were floating with came over to the sandbar we were on to take a statement, he told us the guy ran all the way down to squaw lake and was grabbed by the CHP who was there waiting for him. He was booked for BUI, reckless driving, felony evasion, the works. He plead out I didn't have to testify. That was it for me, I never went on a big weekend again.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Well, otger than almost running ashore, another close call I had was at Parker as well. We were in my boat and we decided to go up to the damn and float down stream for a while. Get up near the damn and are amongst all the floating boats so i check behind me and pull to the right and pull off plane. Threw it in neutral and were bullshittin' for a few minutes and then all of a sudden I see behind me some Jack Hoff in a good size Vee is rolling through all the floating boats bow high and in the hole and is about 20 yards behind us and is heading right for us. Since he's in the hole and his bow is so high, he cant see my little boat. Luckily, i hadnt shut off the motor yet and nobody was in front of us so I threw it in gear, punched it, and turned hard right. He kept on cruisin right past us like that for another 60 yards or so and had no clue what was goin on. That was the only time my boat has taken a wave over the side, even with how low it is. He missed us by about 3' if that.

Icky

Reaction score
Well, otger than almost running ashore, another close call I had was at Parker as well. We were in my boat and we decided to go up to the damn and float down stream for a while. Get up near the damn and are amongst all the floating boats so i check behind me and pull to the right and pull off plane. Threw it in neutral and were bullshittin' for a few minutes and then all of a sudden I see behind me some Jack Hoff in a good size Vee is rolling through all the floating boats bow high and in the hole and is about 20 yards behind us and is heading right for us. Since he's in the hole and his bow is so high, he cant see my little boat. Luckily, i hadnt shut off the motor yet and nobody was in front of us so I threw it in gear, punched it, and turned hard right. He kept on cruisin right past us like that for another 60 yards or so and had no clue what was goin on. That was the only time my boat has taken a wave over the side, even with how low it is. He missed us by about 3' if that.

There would've been telling and cussing coming from my boat had that been me. I feel that if you don't let people know they're doing or did something dumb they will continue doing it. I'm all about education through cussing and sign language:)

Warlock1

Reaction score
Since were supposed to pick up a new to us boat on Friday, I'll play.

A few years ago Sonya and I decide to take the Warlock out to Lake Pleasant. It was late in the season and the ramp has only one other person on it so she decides she wants to try and back the boat down the ramp. She starts to back down and after a couple of attempts she gets me in the water...sort of. We were in at an angle and I probably should have had her pull up and try again but the boat was floating so we went with it. As she tried to release the winch handle apparently the boat was floating a bit too much and it was stuck. As she released it, the handle broke loose and spun around 2 or 3 times at hyper speed and clocked her in the eye. Thank god she had thick plastic rimmed sunglasses on. It shattered the lens and snapped the frames. Had she not had those on I'm sure we would have had to pick an eye up from the ramp. So I'm ready to keep the boat on the trailer and leave but being the trooper that she is she says give me a couple of minutes and get my bearings and we will go boating (that's my girl). So after a few minutes I can tell she is still not completely right. Her eye is starting to bruise where the rim of the glasses were. She has two cuts where we think the handle hit her and her eye is all red. She insists she is alright and she climbs in the truck. We finish launching the boat and I see her drive about 70 feet up the ramp and stop. I wonder what she is doing and then I see her start to back down the ramp. I'm thinking she is practicing her backing or maybe she has decided to not go boating today. As the truck comes down faster and faster I realize she has passed out.

3 outcomes comes to mind;
She continues back and dunks the trailer and the truck. I will have to jump out of the boat and try and get her and the truck out if possible while the boat is left floating.
She jackknifes the trailer and smashes it and the truck
She hits the only other truck and trailer sitting at the ramp

So as she continues back, the trailer is staying pretty straight and then it just starts to turn to the right, ok so she at least won't hit the other truck and she probably won't dunk the truck either. Replacing a bent trailer is probably the cheapest way out of this...Suddenly, brake lights come on. Then as if nothing had happened the truck pulls up and she drives away.

No words can describe the helplessness that I felt when I was watching this play out in front of me. All I could think about was her safety. Man did that suck.

I docked the boat and as I started up the ramp the shuttle dropped her off and she just looked at me and said I think I might have passed out a little bit, yeah no shit. All day my stomach had knots knowing what the outcome to her or someone else could have been.

This is what it looked like right after it happened. The next day her eye was every shade of black, brown and blue there is. I told her to tell her friends that I had to tell her something twice :D

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 12

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
There would've been telling and cussing coming from my boat had that been me. I feel that if you don't let people know they're doing or did something dumb they will continue doing it. I'm all about education through cussing and sign language:)
Oh I was. They werent paying attention and had their stereo blarring so they could hear the education coming out of my mouth.

BTW, I'm using that from now on. "I'm not cursing at him babe, I'm vocally education him on his blatent mistake." Lol!

NicPaus

Reaction score
Jeez - I'm never going to the river again!
I have thought that before but seem to keep going back. 4 Life flights from my crew in the last 2 years. Should of been a few more but someone is looking out. Friends wife missed a turn on Rice rd. Another friend had a front tire blow out and rolled his dually on rice rd his 8 yr old ejected and life flighted thankful he is ok. Veedriven lady put the rzr on its side and almost severed her hand and last trip 2 weeks ago my neighbor had a skill saw accident.

RCDave

Reaction score
Wow.... I'm gonna count my blessings that while I've seen close calls, the worst I've experienced is taking my wife down to the ER for an x-ray. I accidently dropped an anchor on her foot.

After probably 1000 hours or more of driving a boat on the river, I am very careful. We try and avoid Friday's and Saturday's these days. Sunday to Thursday trips! :D

I've seem more carnage off road at the dunes than on the river....

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Right across from Echo gas dock just north of Sundance, it now has some solar lights on it for the past 4 years. After a roll bar boat hit it and 2 life flighted friend had his kids add a few lights That was the 12th time that year it was hit that I know of. Have not seen anyone hit it since except the ginger bread boat in the light parade. Before that every few weekends. Heard a few more stories 2 trips ago after meeting a new neighbor who has been right there at Echo for 20+ years.

I nominate Icky as the winner!

x

Attachments

• Idiot.jpg
    Idiot.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 32

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
My close call... wife and I were staying at the London Bridge and we decided to attend a timeshare seminar just to take advantage of nice room for the weekend for a real cheap rate. Well Sunday morning 9am comes around, and I didn't go to bed till 3am. Still drunk / hung over I attend the seminar. 2 hours later the nice lady with London Bridge asks me if we would like to purchase a time share. As I try to tell her were not interested my mouth starts watering and stomach turning. I ran straight outside and puked my brains out in a trashcan in what I believe was the women's restroom. Close call for sure!

jonnyd

Reaction score
This is going back to about 1977 or so. I was 12 years old and we were staying at Havasu Landing with my Uncle. One night he decided to take us over to the Nauticle Inn for dinner. We had gone under the London Bridge and had just exited the no wake zone. My uncles day cruiser was going about 40 mph and the boat was full of family members. It was just after the sun had gone down and was dark enough to have your navigation lights on.

My uncle and I were on the same side of the boat and noticed another boat coming at us broadside. The boat was a large Sea Ray type boat that had his bow way up in the air to where he could not see us and he did not have his lights on. My uncle could see that we were about to get broadsided, so he stuck his boat in reverse to slow us down. Just as we slowed the Sea Ray changed course and was headed for us again. My Uncle jammed it forward again and then we got hit.

I blacked out and woke up in the front of the boat. I'll never know how I got there as I had been sitting in the rear seat which is where the other boat had struck us. The rear corner of the boat had been clipped pretty good and part of the seat I was sitting in was damaged, but luckily the damage was not below the water line. We were near a marina and headed to shore as quickly as we could. I remember a security guard yelling at us for coming in to fast.

Luckily there were no injuries and we were able to get back to the landing.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
This one doesnt qualify as it wasnt me but its too good nit to share. This was WAY back before myself, brothers, or cousins were around. My parents, my dad's sister, my uncle (mom's brother), and i believe one other person were at Pine Flats at my grandparents old place. They took out my uncle's old Glastec (sp?) and had a fay beach and all. Well my dad decided he wanted to go skiing so my uncle was pulling him. They went up to the mouth of the river and started up it when all of a sudden they stopped. My dad starts telling at my uncle giving him a hard time when all of a sudden everybody in the boat starts yelling at my dad to get in, theyre sinking. Well, there is a large rock formation in that area that was just barely under water at that time and my uncle hit it. It ripped a 3' section of the side of the sponson out (over the years I have figured out it was more like a large gash that water was coming in through at a good rate) and took a fist size chunk of the lower unit housing off too. My dad quickly swam through the gear oil in the water and climbed in the boat. My uncle started the boat but couldnt get the outboard into gear. He trimmed it up with it running abd that was when he noticed the huge hole in the housing. Since he could see the gears and all, he reached in the housing and put it gear by hand, lowered it, started the motor and hauled ass back to the ramp. Luckily the hole in the hull was above the water line while they were on plane. They made it back to the ramp and my dad climbed on the bow and jumoed off so my uncle didnt have to come off plane to drop him off to get the truck and trailer. Well when he comes up and gets on shore he realizes the keys fell out of his pocket while under water. No truck keys and no spare. My dad hitched a ride back to the trailer and got his dad's truck, came down, switched the trailer, and got the boat on the trailer before it sank. Now the only problem was they left my aunt at the day beach with all their stuff. So they had to go back to the trailer, get my grandpa's Spectra and go get my aunt and all the stuff as it was getting dark.

After all that, how do you soend your evening, gettjng pretty shitfaced, and that my dad did. Enough so that when he was walking behind my uncle's boat, he ran his knee right into the prop and fileted it open. Luckily the neighbor was a vet and stitched it up.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Here's my close call.

I was in Mission Bay in San Diego enjoying some time on the water with my wife and some friends and we decided to get wet and do some wake boarding. After a few runs my wife wanted to give it a shot so we shut her down and started lacing her into the board. During this time we were passed by a few boats which is normal for the bay but we noticed a boat heading towards us from the port side with his bow high in the air. He was so far off I didn't think much of it so we continued to get the wife booted and ready to hit the water. A few moments passed and I realized that the boat heading towards us was getting a bit too close. I blared my horn and nothing happened. I began to wave my hands and blare my horn and still nothing.

The boat was heading towards us at a good clip of about 20 mph when it broadsided us. With two people in the bow, my wife on the deck in a wake board, and a couple other friends scattered around the boat, we were lucky that no one got hurt. The sound of the impact was the one of the loudest that I have ever heard. It was strange that time seemed to stand still the second before we were hit. It was unbelievable.

After our crew finished "educating him" on his errors I surveyed our boat and found that we were not sinking and had only taken a scuff on the gel coat. It wasn't until we pulled out that I noticed my wakeboard tower was completely tweaked and the front connecting point was bent out of shape. This then struck us as concerning as my wife's friend was sitting in the bow and had we not been in the roll bar boat things could have ended much differently. Basically the tower took the whole impact right on the chin.

After 1500 in gel coat repair from the stress cracks and a new wake board tower we are back to new.

The offending driver of course had the same story I'm sure we have all heard. Borrowed a boat from a friend, fist time out, didn't have insurance and wanted to pay cash for the damages (luckily he was in the Marine's so I could have gone after him if he flaked).

What made the whole thing even crazier is that he had 4 kids in the bow of the boat and for the life of me I don't know how they were not thrown into my boat or the water. I hope that he learned that day not to have 4 "rather large" women in the back of the boat and to redistribute the weight better and get on plane. Who knows, most likely that was his one and only boating experience since it cost him upwards of 3.5k for his stupidity.

Alls well that ends well I suppose, blows my mind that anyone can just buy a boat and head out with no training. Too many idiots out there in my opinion.....

Boat Bling

Reaction score
My close call... wife and I were staying at the London Bridge and we decided to attend a timeshare seminar just to take advantage of nice room for the weekend for a real cheap rate. Well Sunday morning 9am comes around, and I didn't go to bed till 3am. Still drunk / hung over I attend the seminar. 2 hours later the nice lady with London Bridge asks me if we would like to purchase a time share. As I try to tell her were not interested my mouth starts watering and stomach turning. I ran straight outside and puked my brains out in a trashcan in what I believe was the women's restroom. Close call for sure!
I think the close call here was that you almost bought a time share. That was your body's way of rejecting the offer:p

Here's my close call.

I was in Mission Bay in San Diego enjoying some time on the water with my wife and some friends and we decided to get wet and do some wake boarding. After a few runs my wife wanted to give it a shot so we shut her down and started lacing her into the board. During this time we were passed by a few boats which is normal for the bay but we noticed a boat heading towards us from the port side with his bow high in the air. He was so far off I didn't think much of it so we continued to get the wife booted and ready to hit the water. A few moments passed and I realized that the boat heading towards us was getting a bit too close. I blared my horn and nothing happened. I began to wave my hands and blare my horn and still nothing.

The boat was heading towards us at a good clip of about 20 mph when it broadsided us. With two people in the bow, my wife on the deck in a wake board, and a couple other friends scattered around the boat, we were lucky that no one got hurt. The sound of the impact was the one of the loudest that I have ever heard. It was strange that time seemed to stand still the second before we were hit. It was unbelievable.

After our crew finished "educating him" on his errors I surveyed our boat and found that we were not sinking and had only taken a scuff on the gel coat. It wasn't until we pulled out that I noticed my wakeboard tower was completely tweaked and the front connecting point was bent out of shape. This then struck us as concerning as my wife's friend was sitting in the bow and had we not been in the roll bar boat things could have ended much differently. Basically the tower took the whole impact right on the chin.

After 1500 in gel coat repair from the stress cracks and a new wake board tower we are back to new.

The offending driver of course had the same story I'm sure we have all heard. Borrowed a boat from a friend, fist time out, didn't have insurance and wanted to pay cash for the damages (luckily he was in the Marine's so I could have gone after him if he flaked).

What made the whole thing even crazier is that he had 4 kids in the bow of the boat and for the life of me I don't know how they were not thrown into my boat or the water. I hope that he learned that day not to have 4 "rather large" women in the back of the boat and to redistribute the weight better and get on plane. Who knows, most likely that was his one and only boating experience since it cost him upwards of 3.5k for his stupidity.

Alls well that ends well I suppose, blows my mind that anyone can just buy a boat and head out with no training. Too many idiots out there in my opinion.....
Roll bar boats save lives!:D

Jeez - I'm never going to the river again!
Ya, that's pretty much what I'm getting out of this too

Some great entries this week. Will announce winner shortly:thumbup:

Boat Bling

Reaction score

Icky, you're taking home the grand prize this week. That's a wild story and I'm glad to hear that everyone somehow made it through OK. Please send me a PM or email [email protected] with the following info:
-Full name
-Address
-Phone #
-Email (if applicable)
-Choice of 2 quarts OR $50 credit on www.boatbling.net

Thanks everyone for participating! Was great reading through these stories. The biggest takeaway from this is to never boat with Flying_Lavey:D

Icky

Reaction score
Ya meee.... I'd like to thank all the people who made this possible, my parents, boat bling and my friend Chris who hit the rock....lol
In his defense, it was his first boat, bought it earlier in the week, first time in Parker and first weekend driving the boat,

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Icky, you're taking home the grand prize this week. That's a wild story and I'm glad to hear that everyone somehow made it through OK. Please send me a PM or email [email protected] with the following info:
-Full name
-Address
-Phone #
-Email (if applicable)
-Choice of 2 quarts OR $50 credit on www.boatbling.net

Thanks everyone for participating! Was great reading through these stories. The biggest takeaway from this is to never boat with Flying_Lavey:D
That was back when i was too young & very dumb. Lol! Its a deifferent story now. lol!

Icky

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to boat bling, for my stuff the other day, timing worked out perfectly as I was running low.
IMG_20150809_144330399.jpg

boatnam2

Reaction score
I've had a few close calls over the years, one that comes to mind was about 15 years ago, my friends boat was overheating all day so we decided to take it in first thing in the morning to have someone take a look. The only shop willing to do that on short notice was ricks in Parker so we hauled boat down and had the mechanic take a look. First thing mechanic did was hook up hose to start engine to figure out whats going on. The mechanic jumped up in boat to started it and sure enough no water flow( which we already knew)he let it run for a few and nothing, everything kind of all happened at the same time but my buddy decided to make sure muffs were on good about the same time mechanic decided to try boat in drive, all i could picture was my buddies arm being chopped off, everything was like it was in slow motion, i heard the prop hit his elbow bone multiple times which made a very loud noise like a prop hitting a piece of wood, i could barely look as my buddy held his other hand over what i just knew was going to be a horrifying cut. He took his hand off to have a look and it was barely bleeding it cut it so deep, he was white as a ghost and ready to pass out but other then that wasn't too bad. Took a few minutes to clear our heads and headed back to camp were another friend is a doctor who just always happens to have his doctor bag at river, Don't remember how many stitches it took but that was a close call for sure.

500bbc

Reaction score
I have thought that before but seem to keep going back. 4 Life flights from my crew in the last 2 years. Should of been a few more but someone is looking out. Friends wife missed a turn on Rice rd. Another friend had a front tire blow out and rolled his dually on rice rd his 8 yr old ejected and life flighted thankful he is ok. Veedriven lady put the rzr on its side and almost severed her hand and last trip 2 weeks ago my neighbor had a skill saw accident.

Holy Crap! How is her hand?

Brain didn't cut himself did he?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Holy Crap! How is her hand?

Brain didn't cut himself did he?

Not Brian across from me James almost lost a few fingers. The surgeries went good and they are there. Lots of physical therapy

I think she has more surgeries on the hand still. Still healing. She was out last weekend at Echo I had to work. About to hit the road shortly.

500bbc

Reaction score
Not Brian across from me James almost lost a few fingers. The surgeries went good and they are there. Lots of physical therapy

I think she has more surgeries on the hand still. Still healing. She was out last weekend at Echo I had to work. About to hit the road shortly.

Good news on both, have a great weekend.!

JDKRXW

Reaction score

I wouldn't call this a close call -- I'd call it perfect timing.:D

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
Here's my close call.

What I've always found intriguing over the years following a variety of boating message boards, is the number of people that own big, powerful, expensive, fast performance boats that can't even form sentences.

Icky

Reaction score
What I've always found intriguing over the years following a variety of boating message boards, is the number of people that own big, powerful, expensive, fast performance boats that can't even form sentences.

I see a bunch of sentences there

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
I see a bunch of sentences there

I really ate it on that one.

Fact remains that there is a preponderance of incompetent, inconsiderate, and dangerous
operators of high performance boats. Far more than there are of trained, responsible, sober
operators.