WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

House: Verizon Micro Cell Antenna/Transmitter. Any Concerns?m

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
RDP Braintrust:

I got a notice that Verizon will be installing a micro cell Antenna / Transmitter (for both 4G and 5G) on a street light next to my house. I have not heard of these on residential areas, and don't know much about them.

I am inclined to say No, and fight them putting it next to my house. Should I have concerns about safety? Will it affect my property value?

What do you think?

Sent Using Tapatalk

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
RDP Braintrust:

I got a notice that Verizon will be installing a micro cell Antenna / Transmitter (for both 4G and 5G) on a street light next to my house. I have not heard of these on residential areas, and don't know much about them.

I am inclined to say No, and fight them putting it next to my house. Should I have concerns about safety? Will it affect my property value?

What do you think?

Sent Using Tapatalk

There’s gonna be dozens of them around you regardless. That’s how 4 & 5G works. It’s not like the Verizon commercial where you see contractors being helicoptered onto these towers. These transmitters are just boxes that will be mounted to street lights and towers.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
There’s gonna be dozens of them around you regardless. That’s how 4 & 5G works. It’s not like the Verizon commercial where you see contractors being helicoptered onto these towers. These transmitters are just boxes that will be mounted to street lights and towers.
I understand that they will be everywhere. I am just asking about it being right next to my house. There is a park very close to my house. They could put their box there vs 25' from my house.

This is why I am asking about the boxes.

Sent Using Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I saw this box in an area near my home. Although the second pic, with the flat panels, is from the Verizon website as an example.
20210612_094502.jpg
Screenshot_20210614-073913_Chrome.jpg

Sent Using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I understand that they will be everywhere. I am just asking about it being right next to my house. There is a park very close to my house. They could put their box there vs 25' from my house.

This is why I am asking about the boxes.

Sent Using Tapatalk
They have shit for range comparatively to the older tech so there may be only so much you can do. Eventually they will likely "need" to install it there to eliminate some dead spot.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There are studies going both harmless and detrimental. I've worked with enough weird stuff that I'm a walking lab rat. I would be inclined to fight it though if I had young kids. Anything that had a possibility to be an issue we kind of avoided, high tension lines, cell towers, proximity to busy roads and wind direction from them.

Of course, our cell service sucks, my internet is one click up from dial up...and now any stores are 10 miles away.

As was pointed out, they will be putting up these mini towers everywhere to fill in dead zones. I'm not smart enough to understand how it works. I just know I don't really care much for it.

DaveH

Reaction score
while it is true "micro cells" are utilized to fill in small dead spots in wireless networks......they are now the "go to" device and entire networks are being built using these devices instead of traditional cell towers.

why is that? INTERFERENCE. by having many small, LOW POWER cells, they can reduce interference in the network...offering you a better quality of service.

the low power transmitter near your home will probably hit you with less RF emissions then what you are receiving from a high power cell that is nowhere near your home.

the irony is they are going to put the cell up no matter what. this technology has already been approved by the FCC. what they are doing with their notice is minimizing the future potential of lawsuits.

if you are REALLY concerned about RF emissions.....you first need to look at all the WIFI devices and other RF sources within your home that most have no idea are even ther.

you should be glad this thing will be close to your home, your phone quality of service will go up and your exposure levels will go down.

22 years in this business if that matters to you.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
They have shit for range comparatively to the older tech so there may be only so much you can do. Eventually they will likely "need" to install it there to eliminate some dead spot.
I get that also. My point is there is the same light pole about 200 yards from my house, that is on a greenbelt / open space, and not next to a home.

Sent Using Tapatalk

azsunfun

Reaction score
now the government can pin point you within miles not repeating towers.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
while it is true "micro cells" are utilized to fill in small dead spots in wireless networks......they are now the "go to" device and entire networks are being built using these devices instead of traditional cell towers.

why is that? INTERFERENCE. by having many small, LOW POWER cells, they can reduce interference in the network...offering you a better quality of service.

the low power transmitter near your home will probably hit you with less RF emissions then what you are receiving from a high power cell that is nowhere near your home.

the irony is they are going to put the cell up no matter what. this technology has already been approved by the FCC. what they are doing with their notice is minimizing the future potential of lawsuits.

if you are REALLY concerned about RF emissions.....you first need to look at all the WIFI devices and other RF sources within your home that most have no idea are even ther.

you should be glad this thing will be close to your home, your phone quality of service will go up and your exposure levels will go down.

22 years in this business if that matters to you.
Thanks Dave. I appreciate the inside info. That is what I was looking for.

Sent Using Tapatalk

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I appreciate the inside info. That is what I was looking for.

Sent Using Tapatalk

Dave knows his stuff here. He was an RF 'ghostbuster' for the biggest cell provider in the country.

Think of it this way:

Old Cell Towers 3G and 4G = Having a conversation at loud restaurant/bar with live music, with hundreds of people yelling to talk

New micro cell 5g = Having a conversation at a fine dining restaurant, everyone speaking quietly amongst their own tables

By dropping the power, putting up more smaller cell sites, they drop the noise spillover to the neighboring tables (cells)

DaveH

Reaction score
now the government can pin point you within miles not repeating towers.
that has nothing to do with it. your phone has an internal GPS which reports your position.......... makes no difference how far you are from an tower.

furthermore the network operator HAS TO know what tower you are closest to.....so they know WHERE to route a call/data for your phone to receive. for the conspiracy theorists.....its tracking.....but in the real world, if they didn't track your device.....how would they know to send a call to Havasu or New York?

Nordie

Reaction score
I was going to tag DaveH, but I'm late to the party. 5G is relatively low when it comes to RF, it does not like to pass through glass. Like an old Ham operator told me once, if you could physically see RF you wouldn't even be able to see across the street.

Quick edit, one of my surveyor buddies was on a task for these 5G poles. He said it is also for these self driving cars.

Anyway 5G is really nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
You can actually hard wire right in, while parked on the side of my house. Maybe I should Air BNB my side yard. LOL

Sent Using Tapatalk

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I rode up to the top of the hill at parker once where all the towers and antennas are. Theres tons of signage about radio waves, etc. You could phyisclally FEEL like a humming in your body when you got close.

Now imagine that next to your house.

That being said, you also put a 5g device in your pocket right next to your balls and hold it up to your head. Youre doing okay so far right?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I rode up to the top of the hill at parker once where all the towers and antennas are. Theres tons of signage about radio waves, etc. You could phyisclally FEEL like a humming in your body when you got close.

That being said, you also put a 5g device in your pocket right next to your balls and hold it up to your head. Youre doing okay so far right?

People call me on cell phones to complain about RF radiation from power lines and infrastructure all of the time.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Lol install some tin foil in your hat if you are worried about it.

DaveH

Reaction score
That's a beefy box running a lot of power, heat sinks and all. Doesn't look like the router in your closet that's for sure.
of course its "beefy" compared to whats in your closet. it has to sit out in ALL weather conditions......like 115+ heat in Havasu with no active cooling and survive. it has to handle 50x the traffic your home wifi does.....yet still transmits and the same low per level. yeah...its a serious rugged piece of engineering compared to the cheap quality stuff in your closet. you think for a second the specs and quality control used to build something like this arent on an entire different level?

that big connector on the bottom isn't for power.....is a ruggedized port for fiber to feed it. the power consumption on one of these is minuscule compared to a traditional cell tower.

DaveH

Reaction score

these mountain top sites are NOTHING compared to a cell tower. the frequencies in use, the power levels in use, the density of RF spectrum in use.....yeah.....its an RF jungle at those locations. but most of these sites are for long haul RF hops....using dishes to "focus" the RF transmission to distant mountain top receivers and not blanketing the population below.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
these mountain top sites are NOTHING compared to a cell tower. the frequencies in use, the power levels in use, the density of RF spectrum in use.....yeah.....its an RF jungle at those locations. but most of these sites are for long haul RF hops....using dishes to "focus" the RF transmission to distant mountain top receivers and not blanketing the population below.

All the people worried about 5g tower, but for half of the last 20 years they have been holding the same microwave to the side of their heads and the other half had it resting against their nuts in their pockets 🤣 🤣

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Technological FNG here: cell systems, like all the "G's" are radio frequencies? Are they higher or lower than where AM/FM are? Just curious, I don't know which would be better for transmission in terms of clarity or protection from other frequencies bleeding.

About 10 years ago I was doing a roof on a larger building in SoCal. One of the biggest pains was a "relay" antenna...that's what they called it. Looked similar to a cell tower, but was used for law enforcement and fire communications. We were told not to stand between the masts, and not really spend much time around them. Also a major no-no if we messed with any of the cables or such.

DaveH

Reaction score
Technological FNG here: cell systems, like all the "G's" are radio frequencies? Are they higher or lower than where AM/FM are? Just curious, I don't know which would be better for transmission in terms of clarity or protection from other frequencies bleeding.

About 10 years ago I was doing a roof on a larger building in SoCal. One of the biggest pains was a "relay" antenna...that's what they called it. Looked similar to a cell tower, but was used for law enforcement and fire communications. We were told not to stand between the masts, and not really spend much time around them. Also a major no-no if we messed with any of the cables or such.
G=generation and has nothing to do with the frequency.

the simple answer is the lower the frequency, the more it will penetrate through dense objects........the loss in free air is less with lower frequency's but not hugely so.

early 1g systems (analog) used 850/900mhz
2g systems introduced 1900mhz
3g systems used a combination of 850 and 1900
same with 4g

its the newer higher frequency 2.5ghz (and well beyond that) that has people freaking over 5g systems.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
They have been dragging their feet getting this installed by my house. I cant wait cheaper than my current internet and 100x as fast.