WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

House Water Pressue

SHEP

Reaction score
I've had 2 plumbers in the last 8 years tell me that my water pressure it to high for my house. It's at 90 and they said it should be at 70 to avoid pipe issues. Any truth to this or is it an upsell on something I don't need? Haven't had any issues yet so don't see the need but not sure if it's just a matter of time before I have a pipe crack or have issues.

Thanks,

SHEP

Reaction score
you can get a pressure regulator where the water first meets your house from the street. a good safety measure.

DLC

Reaction score
I think it’s a little bit high, have you installed a new pressure regulator in the past 5 years? You should be able to adjust it.

certain areas may be a little bit higher if it’s hilly or flat but your regulator should keep it steady inside the house

FC29E927-B631-4D9F-A5E6-020E56BD101E.png

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
65-70 psi we were told after a leak and ours was found to be 105 ( for 19 years it seems)
You should i would think already have a regulator attached somewhere in the line. either right outside the house where it comes in our like in our case it in the garage where the water line connecto to the house plumbing.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Should be 60-80 according to every home inspector I have had. However, I could care less and leave mine at 100. I like the water pressure for showers and to wash my cars/boats. I have had to replace a few minor plumbing issues (toilet, faucet) over the last 5 years, but that's nothing compared to dealing with water trickling out.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I had to replace the regulator once when pressure went to zero they are spendy little f****** I set it at 60 and I have hose bibs before the house regulator and a separate regulator on the sprinkler system set to 40.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I've had 2 plumbers in the last 8 years tell me that my water pressure it to high for my house. It's at 90 and they said it should be at 70 to avoid pipe issues. Any truth to this or is it an upsell on something I don't need? Haven't had any issues yet so don't see the need but not sure if it's just a matter of time before I have a pipe crack or have issues.

Thanks,

SHEP
It's a little high, most regulators would be set at 65 in Ca. on new construction, personally I'd set it up to about 70-75. Another benefit of a regulator would be if the water district has a PRV in your area to reduce very high pressure, if it ever fails it will fail open and could cause damage. The water company would be responsible, but still could be a hassle. The water co. engineering dept should be able to answer those questions.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I would side on caution here and bring the pressure down. A flooded house has got to be on of the worst situations to deal with. Ask anyone that has had a flooded house. Its possible nothing will ever go wrong but why chance it and stress everything on the system.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I would side on caution here and bring the pressure down. A flooded house has got to be on of the worst situations to deal with. Ask anyone that has had a flooded house. Its possible nothing will ever go wrong but why chance it and stress everything on the system.
It sucks balls for sure and there is no warning usually. leave / come home kitchen is or bathroom is flooded. Just spent 6 months dealing with this in our kitchen

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I have right about 100psi and no issues for 14 years at my old place…I did re-pipe it with thick copper before I moved in though….PEX and other shitty plumbing might have an issue.

Yldboyz

Reaction score
High pressure has it's down falls, it results to cavitation which will eventually wear the lining in the pipes and create a turbulence if the pipes were not reamed correctly. But the water hammer that's created can blow off seals and angle stops. You wouldn't want to walk into a flooded house.

A PRV would be a cheap fix aside an expansion tank if your main is tied into any irrigation valves.

Yldboyz

Reaction score
I might have samples if you need one, they're manufactured by Wilkens.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
80psi max per most residential codes. If you're running more, remember to reduce it prior to calling your water damage insurance agent.
This for sure! Friend just had me come look at a sprinkler valve in his yard that wouldn’t stop leaking ran a couple stations to see what was up pressure was cray high at the heads. Turned out his Wilkins spring was broke so the pressure for the whole house was at about 120 he’s lucky nothing bad happened to the house. Most of the time it’s the plastics lines for the fridge water/ice that go 1st. The “leaking valve” saved him.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Many cities, such as Upland, provides them free of charge.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Wish I could get some pressure like the cruise ships. I like to sand blast off a layer of skin to get clean.

Turnup

Reaction score
It's like everything else made today, built to not last. 100lb water pressure isn't the problem it's all the plumbing fixtures that will fail because they're not meant to be forever like the old days. Water heaters, toilets, faucets, valves, hell even copper fittings today can't handle shit anymore.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
We kept blowing the anti-siphon caps off of our sprinkler valves in Havasu. Also had 2 cracked in-line sprinkler valves crack. I figured it was just the crappy Lawn Genie parts from Home Depot. Turns out, our 4-year-old pressure regulator had failed and we were getting 115-120 psi past the regulator.

HCP3

Reaction score
I have right about 100psi and no issues for 14 years at my old place…I did re-pipe it with thick copper before I moved in though….PEX and other shitty plumbing might have an issue.

PEX is shitty? I don't have a clue about plumbing, but I thought PEX was the way to go these days?

More on topic to the thread poster, you can buy a guage to verify your plumbers results. Can't trust anyone these days.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Half the plumbers love it, the other half hate it. It's certainly quicker to install, but you won't see it at my house. If you use Pex, make sure you don't have rats and never use rat poison with Pex. The poison makes them thirsty, and they will chew up your plumbing.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Like many have said 60-90. W
You can go higher pex is rated for approximately 100 psi @ 180 deg.

160 psi @ 70 deg.

Copper is good to 700+ psi, and 300+ if annealed

So either way keep it cranked and tell them dudes they have job security 😁

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
If you are smart enough to install or replace the PRV..... be extra smart and get the PRV that has the twist on union on both ends. So in the future you can take 5 minutes to replace instead of having to sweat it off and on each time.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Get a pressure regulator .
Set about 60 psi

90 is high

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Whats the pressure setting on the relief valve on your water heater ?
Is that relief discharge piped to a drain or just dump on the floor? Ever wet? Leaking?
Copper or gal steel pipe?
Pipes getting older.........

Rondog4405

Reaction score
90 is a bit too high for my comfort level. I have mine at 75..

lbhsbz

Reaction score
PEX is shitty? I don't have a clue about plumbing, but I thought PEX was the way to go these days?

More on topic to the thread poster, you can buy a guage to verify your plumbers results. Can't trust anyone these days.
I don't trust plastic where there is a better alternative.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
My pressure was in the 90's and we had a SS house line in my bathroom burst in the middle of the night. Luckily my wife heard it and shut the water down. After doing the repair I put in a SharkBite regulator and a Flo by Moen. Both the SB Reg and Flo are next to each other in my garage. So if they failed there would be no interior damage. The FLO will automatically turn off the water if it senses a leak.

https://meetflo.com/

09c5994b-082c-497e-8021-856b57626c0f.jpg
b9e31f8e-ce38-4bb8-b9db-128b0e69e268.jpg