WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Houston/Katy wakeboard lake

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
My Son, DIL #1, two Granddaughters have taken up residency in Katy, Texas.

What are good watersport lakes (wake boarding, skiing, tubing, floating etc) in the area with minimal creatures to be on the lookout for...

DIL is FREAKED OUT!!!

granted. I've come across two rattlers enjoying their swim on Colorado river... Havasu and parker... in 40 years..

thanks

Rick

River918

Reaction score
Have then check out Lake Conroe. We are heading out there this summer to look at property in Montgomery.

RichL

Reaction score
When I bought the Formula it was being used on Lake Conroe.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
My Son, DIL #1, two Granddaughters have taken up residency in Katy, Texas.

What are good watersport lakes (wake boarding, skiing, tubing, floating etc) in the area with minimal creatures to be on the lookout for...

DIL is FREAKED OUT!!!

granted. I've come across two rattlers enjoying their swim on Colorado river... Havasu and parker... in 40 years..

thanks

Rick
Katy is a great town...we did a chunk of solar there. Texas has very little to worry about other than cottonmouths and those you rarely run into on a lake. IDK why but a lot of Houston people go to lake travis for recreational boating.

If they are interested in floating...at some point they need to visit New Braunfels...if it wasn't for the stupid level of growth, and asinine housing prices compared to wages I would likely have stayed there.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Conroe on weekdays only. It's fairly deserted except for the crazy ass bass fishermen. They have have a lot of daily bass tourneys, but mostly in the late afternoon, so mornings are usually very nice there. Weekends on Conroe SUCK after schools out in May. Every new boater in the area goes to Conroe. It is so rough on weekends there is no way to enjoy it. The one and only time we went out on a holiday, I hit a roller so dang hard, it broke my mid cabin door in half.

We used to go to Somerville a lot with my old wood boat. Lots of fishermen there, but was much better on weekends than Conroe. What ever they do, tell them never go to Lake Houston. Lots of bacteria and just plain nasty.

shunter2005

Reaction score
what about ClearLake. its Brackish but i understand its a fairly nice lake
Nope!!!! It's only about chest deep in most places outside the marked channel. The bottom is that nasty mud that you will sink into. Lots of spots to run aground. I mean, run a mud!! However, they do have some great places to eat down that way.

farmo83

Reaction score
I've boated around houston my whole life and everything that has been said is on point. Also avoid livingston like the plague unless they like repairing drives.

Also keep in mind there is an old saying around here that every lake in texas has at least 1 gator in it.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My brother and SIL live in Cypress and own a waterfront home on Lake Livingston. They love it. I haven't had a chance to get out there yet, but it looks really nice. They have had a few gators.

pkbullet

Reaction score
Have then check out Lake Conroe. We are heading out there this summer to look at property in Montgomery.
I graduated from Montgomery High in 89. We lived in Del Lago estates, I haven't been back since. I wonder how big it has gotten. It was not long after the oil crash that we were there and lots of stalled developments. I worked at the Del Lago marina through high school, cool job. Montgomery was basically a school system and grocery store.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
When we were lake house shopping we looked at Lake Conroe, maybe it was the time of year but the water was brown, couldn’t see down a foot or so. For some reason I want to know what’s down there before I jump in. One of the reasons we ended up where we are at in Alabama is because the lake is very clear. The other reason was property taxes, on average the tax rate in Texas was 3-4 times higher than california.

shunter2005

Reaction score
When we were lake house shopping we looked at Lake Conroe, maybe it was the time of year but the water was brown, couldn’t see down a foot or so. For some reason I want to know what’s down there before I jump in. One of the reasons we ended up where we are at in Alabama is because the lake is very clear. The other reason was property taxes, on average the tax rate in Texas was 3-4 times higher than california.
Exactly. Many of the Texas lakes have stained water. Conroe, Travis, Somerville and many more. When I was a kid, Travis was clear as it could be. You could see the bottom at 20 ft or so, but not so much anymore.. You can visit the TPW website and find out what type water each lake has.

rebelmark75

Reaction score
Wakeboard boats have a new wakeboard only lake available. It’s north of Greenland and comes with complimentary cocktail ice.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Exactly. Many of the Texas lakes have stained water. Conroe, Travis, Somerville and many more. When I was a kid, Travis was clear as it could be. You could see the bottom at 20 ft or so, but not so much anymore.. You can visit the TPW website and find out what type water each lake has.

Travis is clear, with comperable visibilty to Havasu, maybe only slightly less. We are about 20ish ft low at the moment tho

shunter2005

Reaction score
Travis is clear, with comperable visibilty to Havasu, maybe only slightly less. We are about 20ish ft low at the moment tho
Well, that's good. Maybe it's just cloudy at certain times of the year. Last time I was there several years ago, it was a little murky. Canyon is pretty clear also.
Thought you were getting on a plane?

boatnam2

Reaction score
Been in Katy a few weeks now working, planned on checking out some lakes but haven't got a chance yet.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Well, that's good. Maybe it's just cloudy at certain times of the year. Last time I was there several years ago, it was a little murky. Canyon is pretty clear also.
Thought you were getting on a plane?

only after heavy rains.

Its been delayed. im leaving the house in about 20 minutes

boatnam2

Reaction score
So what's the must see in Katy, few people have said the mall.

joecfd1

Reaction score
Bass Pro Shops!!! Never seen so many pickup trucks in one parking lot in my life... We used to goose hunt down there every year.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
They have communities where the house sits on a wakeboard lake. That’s probably the best bet if you are really into wakeboarding. I live in houston and fly to havasu for the lake…

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
As others have said Lake Conroe get's rough. If you head north, go under the bridge there's a cove off to the left that's not too bad. If you go too far, watch out for tree branches. There's also a cable park called Hanger 9 for boarding in Conroe

boatnam2

Reaction score
Well it looks like I will try NHRA this weekend at Baytown.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Well it looks like I will try NHRA this weekend at Baytown.
If you're going that far, after the races take the Fred Hartman bridge over to Kemah and get your fill of some fresh off the boat seafood.
To be honest, there usually isn't a lot going on in Katy area that I know of. I know your probably not a fan, but the Astros are home this weekend against Toronto. They might even wear their new ugly as fuck uniforms. At least you would get a good laugh, if you don't puke.....

Last edited:

boatnam2

Reaction score
If you're going that far, after the races take the Fred Hartman bridge over to Kemah and get your fill of some fresh off the boat seafood.
To be honest, there usually isn't a lot going on in Katy area that I know of. I know your probably not a fan, but the Astros are home this weekend against Toronto. They might even wear their new ugly as fuck uniforms. At least you would get a good laugh, if you don't puke.....
Thanks for info, i did catch a game the other night when Othani pitched, hadn't seen him, amazing athlete. Not sure about the whole space city deal but place was rocking, had a good time.