WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How about some RC drag racing

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Our whole street has gone full on ballistic with RC cars/trucks. We just modified my grandsons with an updated motor and refreshed gearing for top end and that little thing hauls the mail. Crazy how fast these things are in comparison to when I ran gas cars 10-15 years ago.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I made a lot of money setting up RC drag cars for drug dealers and other shot callers. They used to race in The Forum parking lot, and bet big money on races. This was like 20 years ago. I probably would have died coming across any of those dudes in any other setting.

The races they did were around 1000 feet.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I have gotten into scale crawlers last few years. Probably have 6 or 7 now, gets addictive. Fun because you don't break parts like my fast cars.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
There is a nice track in Palm Desert. Mostly 1/8 gas stuff.
I’ve heard of that one but never went.

That track is in Montclair. I raced there a lot before I moved. Fun place. When it was an on road facility 25 years ago I ran their hobby shop for a time.

I have a brand new fully race prepped chassis ready to go. I need to see if my local track does 1/8 nitro. I might need to sell it.

89EE45F8-7AA8-444F-9DC7-A04CED6AC8AE.jpeg

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I’ve heard of that one but never went.

That track is in Montclair. I raced there a lot before I moved. Fun place. When it was an on road facility 25 years ago I ran their hobby shop for a time.

I have a brand new fully race prepped chassis ready to go. I need to see if my local track does 1/8 nitro. I might need to sell it.

View attachment 1193247
Well my son and I dropped into the hobby shop today, and he ended up coming home with one of these and now is bugging me to go to the track
594296E3-0BA7-494F-B4F0-3095C67047BC.jpeg

Badchoices03

Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont I took my son to the Perris RC racetrack

Now he is obsessed with nitro buggies....we will never get into it as competitively as some of those rigs we saw there, we saw one dude that had a 24' enclosed trailer with nothing but RC parts, tools, tires, bodies, etc...lol it was insane

He loved driving his Associated 14b but I am thinking about maybe getting an entry level nitro buggy....what do you think of Kyosho? Or do you have other recommendations? Should we just leave nitro alone?

Untitled1.jpg

BingerFang

Reaction score

Now he is obsessed with nitro buggies....we will never get into it as competitively as some of those rigs we saw there, we saw one dude that had a 24' enclosed trailer with nothing but RC parts, tools, tires, bodies, etc...lol it was insane

He loved driving his Associated 14b but I am thinking about maybe getting an entry level nitro buggy....what do you think of Kyosho? Or do you have other recommendations? Should we just leave nitro alone?

View attachment 1197155

Kyosho is top notch. I ran their RB5 and RT5 10 years ago and won a ton of races when OCRC was around. I’ve been out of the game for a while but it was the best handling and quality product on the market back then.

@LargeOrangeFont I grew up going to revelation, always picking Adam Drakes brain on suspension springs, pistons, oils ect, that’s funny. We probably crossed paths a few times there.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Kyosho is top notch. I ran their RB5 and RT5 10 years ago and won a ton of races when OCRC was around. I’ve been out of the game for a while but it was the best handling and quality product on the market back then.

@LargeOrangeFont I grew up going to revelation, always picking Adam Drakes brain on suspension springs, pistons, oils ect, that’s funny. We probably crossed paths a few times there.

Sweet Adam is a great dude. Always willing to help. I first raced with Drake like 25 years ago when he first came to So Cal and through the early 2000s when I was into RC racing heavily.

View attachment 1197155

Kyosho is great. It is also expensive from a parts perspective. Just know that going in. Just don’t fall into the trap of modding the entry level car too far. Do the math and if you are serious about it, cut bait and just buy a new race chassis, sell the old car. That is the only pitfall to be aware of.

Buying used can be good if it isn’t trashed and/or you go through it before you run it. I may sell this car I have If you are interested. I still need to check out my local track and see if they run 1/8 nitro.

My number one piece of advice is pick something that has available parts, ideally locally.

I’m partial to Nitro but there is more to it than just throwing in the batteries and going. That is what I like about it though. Fuel mileage and pit strategy all play a part, as well as longer main events.

And yes, some of the people that race are insane with the investment they have in it.

Last edited:

BingerFang

Reaction score
Sweet Adam is a great dude. Always willing to help. I first raced with Drake like 25 years ago when he first came to So Cal and through the early 2000s when I was into RC racing heavily.

Kyosho is great. It is also expensive from a parts perspective. Just know that going in. Just don’t fall into the trap of modding the entry level car too far. Do the math and if you are serious about it, cut bait and just buy a new race chassis, sell the old car. That is the only pitfall to be aware of.

Buying used can be good if it isn’t trashed and/or you go through it before you run it. I may sell this car I have If you are interested. I still need to check out my local track and see if they run 1/8 nitro.

My number one piece of advice is pick something that has available parts, ideally locally.

I’m partial to Nitro but there is more to it than just throwing in the batteries and going. That is what I like about it though. Fuel mileage and pit strategy all play a part, as well as longer main events.

And yes, some of the people that race are insane with the investment they have in it.

x2 on parts availability. Go into the shop at the RC track you’ll mostly be running at and see which parts they stock and buy that car. Nothing worse than having to go home over something stupid that broke when you didn’t have a spare.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
x2 on parts availability. Go into the shop at the RC track you’ll mostly be running at and see which parts they stock and buy that car. Nothing worse than having to go home over something stupid that broke when you didn’t have a spare.

Well that answers my question, because my RC shop doesnt carry Kyosho, they race Team Associated, so thats mostly what they carry in the buggy realm...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well the addiction continues here.

Picked up this to play with on the rocks in the back yard. This is my first rock crawler RC car.

309E21E2-A3FD-40C3-BC4A-F13E8D40E15B.jpeg
B4A1CC32-691B-4042-AFCC-F5D5A0426489.jpeg

Does pretty well on the 4-8 inch rocks but you have to pick your line and have some finesse, which is what I was hoping for. The full fender “trail trucks” would have not even worked and would have got hung up everywhere.

This was an RTR, and pretty decent quality. Since it worked well out there I found the kit version that comes with all the upgrades for cheap and will build it with some of the good radio gear I have laying around so we will have a pair of them. I will probably just do a brushed motor and the same speed controller that is in the RTR since I got the program card for it.

I will get a video tomorrow of it in action. The kids seem to like it.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Well the addiction continues here.

Picked up this to play with on the rocks in the back yard. This is my first rock crawler RC car.

View attachment 1200136 View attachment 1200137

Does pretty well on the 4-8 inch rocks but you have to pick your line and have some finesse, which is what I was hoping for. The full fender “trail trucks” would have not even worked and would have got hung up everywhere.

This was an RTR, and pretty decent quality. Since it worked well out there I found the kit version that comes with all the upgrades for cheap and will build it with some of the good radio gear I have laying around so we will have a pair of them. I will probably just do a brushed motor and the same speed controller that is in the RTR since I got the program card for it.

I will get a video tomorrow of it in action. The kids seem to like it.

Nice, I was looking at those buggies but they just dont interest me because they are very race focused and we more just bashers, so since we have been really digging the 1/24 scale crawlers, I have been eyeballing something bigger....on my list are the Element Enduro line like the Gatekeeper you just got or the Ecto, I really really like the Knightrunner as well....other trucks are the Axial SCX10's...rock crawling is super fun and you usually don't need a brushless motor since most stuff is slow and technical...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Built another rock crawler for the backyard. Same platform and chassis as the RTR one above, but this was a kit and came with some upgrades. I put a little better electronics in this one.

Did the maiden voyage and put the first scratches on it this afternoon. It seems OK but I’m new to the rock crawl scene. It may need some suspension adjustments.

Going to have a couple other members over to the house for a rock challenge here soon.

64D36496-2498-43EB-9970-62EACE6FF171.jpeg
E25736DE-7BC7-45CB-8795-33493D31DDD9.jpeg
A20CB740-41AC-42FF-816A-8A19B3492C91.jpeg
E9603E75-A6CA-45FB-A5B4-DCB82B56F7A8.jpeg

Icky

Reaction score
I put this in the hand of my 3.5 year old today. I was gonna get the 1/16 scaled one, but figured this would take more abuse. Training mode is awesome, limits it at 50% throttle and brake. 15 head on curb hits and a few roll overs later and it's still ticking.

20230417_201136.jpg

HPBoats83

Reaction score
There's a cool 1/8 track in Winchester as well. Dangerous hobby to get into as it gets expensive trying to stay competitive even at a beginner level.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Built another rock crawler for the backyard. Same platform and chassis as the RTR one above, but this was a kit and came with some upgrades. I put a little better electronics in this one.

Did the maiden voyage and put the first scratches on it this afternoon. It seems OK but I’m new to the rock crawl scene. It may need some suspension adjustments.

Going to have a couple other members over to the house for a rock challenge here soon.

View attachment 1217236 View attachment 1217238 View attachment 1217237 View attachment 1217239

There is a cool crawling course set up near me that I recently found...its open pretty much any time, he even runs it on lights a few nights a month....you just show up and crawl basically any time you want, he has a donation box there that he asks for $5 each time you come...which I dont think is bad because he keeps the course nice and dialed..
341195450_612251014098909_4962715290863082196_n.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
There is a cool crawling course set up near me that I recently found...its open pretty much any time, he even runs it on lights a few nights a month....you just show up and crawl basically any time you want, he has a donation box there that he asks for $5 each time you come...which I dont think is bad because he keeps the course nice and dialed..
View attachment 1220308

I think I saw that one on YouTube. Looks pretty cool!

DwatsPdx

Reaction score
View attachment 1220308

Is this next to CTRC in Canyon Hills?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I need to revisit this thread when my boys are a bit older. I’d love to build an RC track in my backyard…”for the kids” 😊

attitude

Reaction score
I put this in the hand of my 3.5 year old today. I was gonna get the 1/16 scaled one, but figured this would take more abuse. Training mode is awesome, limits it at 50% throttle and brake. 15 head on curb hits and a few roll overs later and it's still ticking.

View attachment 1220120
My 3 year old drives my 2wd slash in trainer mode as well, its 14 years old and still going strong.

He turns 4 today and we’re going to the hobby shop to pick out something new, hopefully it’s a boat but he might end up with a new truck. Maybe a 1/16 revo.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
My 3 year old drives my 2wd slash in trainer mode as well, its 14 years old and still going strong.

He turns 4 today and we’re going to the hobby shop to pick out something new, hopefully it’s a boat but he might end up with a new truck. Maybe a 1/16 revo.

Nice....my son loves trips to the hobby shop....I don't mind it either...lol

attitude

Reaction score
Nice....my son loves trips to the hobby shop....I don't mind it either...lol
He doesn’t know it yet but I’m leaving the office at lunch and that’s where we’re going. Now that he is older and more aware it’s a lot of fun.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
He doesn’t know it yet but I’m leaving the office at lunch and that’s where we’re going. Now that he is older and more aware it’s a lot of fun.

Right on! Get 2 of each....thats what Ive learned...my son enjoys it so much more when we RC together...so whatever he gets, make sure to get yourself something that can be enjoyed at the same time, if you dont already have something...

Icky

Reaction score

I pulled my old tmaxx out to convert to electric, that was an expensive trip to pegasus. Yesterday I made a trip to handle it hobbies in Rancho for some more parts. After chatting with the guy over there I bought the slash. All my stuff still used crystals for the TX and rx.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I pulled my old tmaxx out to convert to electric, that was an expensive trip to pegasus. Yesterday I made a trip to handle it hobbies in Rancho for some more parts. After chatting with the guy over there I bought the slash. All my stuff still used crystals for the TX and rx.

Yeah I still have a couple slashes, 1 hpi blitz, and traxxas boats that still use crystals....

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Thats awesome. I just went to CTRC for the first time a couple weeks ago. Super fun setup and its so cheap.

I havent been to CTRC...is it similar to this place, you just show up and drive?

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
View attachment 1220308
Where is this one at? Near menifee?