WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How are you going to cook your turkey?

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Bake or fry?

This is my first year cooking my own turkey since my mom used to do it but passed away this year. I went out and bought a turkey fryer and 3 gallons of peanut oil. We’ve got two 17lb birds just in case I screw the first one up. What’s your plan for tomorrow? Wife and MIL will make all the sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Baked all the way. I don’t have anything against a fried turkey, but a slow baked turkey wins every time. Use a roasting pan and seal in the juices. Plus all the flavors from a properly prepared stuffing adds so much to the bird, it’s no contest for me ! Can’t wait 😁

Andy B.

Reaction score
My buddy is smoking one on his Traeger never had smoked turkey. Oh and he's having a few people over so call the cops he lives in Boulder City. 😁

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I get my bbq as hot as I can, then I go inside and throw the turkey in garbage. Then I take my filets and cover them in olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Seer all sides on high and then turn the grill down and let the steaks get to medium rare. Pull em and eat I’m.

charlyox

Reaction score
Going to deep fry that bad boy. I haven’t done it in a few years. It is a little pricey for the oil but the lil woman injects it with some Cajun stuff and it is awesome. 🦃

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
BBQ - charcoal and wood chips
4-5 hours
Turkey cooked in a pan to collect the drippings
Covered about 50 percent of the time

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I’m doing a Turkey and a Turkey breast.

The Turkey will be getting a Cajun butter injection and will cook in a propane air fryer. The Turkey breast is getting dropped in a brine this afternoon and will go on the Traeger tomorrow morning.

Singleton

Reaction score
Neither.
We are grilling a beef tenderloin (with spicy horseradish mustard sauce), smoked green beans and roasted potatoes. All from the comfort of our ToyHauler in the desert. Just need wife to stop working so we can leave!

BUSTI

Reaction score
Smoke this season. We will see if its good. I have bakes, Sous Vide and fried turkey so if it still sucks after smoking it, I will have determined that turkey just isn't good.

Dettom

Reaction score
Soaked in brine, skin loosened with a wooden spoon and placed in the Green Mountain smoker. Never disappoints.

bocco

Reaction score
Smoking it on the pit barrel.

That's the plan for this household as well. I'm going to rub it down with butter and "Loot n Bootie" everything rub. Throw some apple chunks on coals and then start drinking.

Are you hanging it or setting it on the grill?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Bought a 15 pounder from Popeyes. Already seasoned, deep fried, fully cooked.

Been defrosting since Sunday and will pop in oven for 2 hours at 300. Hopefully it is good!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
How ever the Turquoise Room cooks it for me. Camping outside Winslow az now waiting for it.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Smoking mine. I got one brining. Water, molasses, brown sugar, salt, Thyme, Bay leaves, peppercorns and some bbq seasoning. I always smoke one and wife cooks one in the oven. Bought a 18 lb. one this year. Last year my 19lb. took 4.5 hours on 325 with Pecan pellets. Pulled it at 155 / 160 I think and it rested an hour. Perfect and juicy. They reach temperature as they rest. Stuffed it a bit with some onions, orange slices and apple slices when it went in the Traeger. Rubbed that baby with butter and rosemary mixture under the skin and all over. Put it on a rack in a pan with about a 1/2” of chicken stock then put some of the orange, apple onion mixture in there also. Had to foil the top half way thru the cook to keep the bird from getting too dark on top. Had a nice little Smokey flavor but not overbearing at all. Super Juicy.
D9D6D4E6-2AC4-4D37-A9F9-0E798B08A42F.jpeg
928E555B-3D81-458B-939C-A60F81362BF3.jpeg

Jay Dub

Reaction score
We usually roast ours on the bbq using the rotisserie. This year my wife is making a turkey roulade because we have a smaller crew. Frogman be careful frying. My BIL caught his back patio on fire one year. It was a huge mess.

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 82

FishSniper

Reaction score
That's the plan for this household as well. I'm going to rub it down with butter and "Loot n Bootie" everything rub. Throw some apple chunks on coals and then start drinking.

Are you hanging it or setting it on the grill?
Our plans sound very similar. I am going to hang it. Only debate this year is to do a honey rum glaze on it or not. I used the glaze on Cornish game hens and it came out good so I’m tempted to use it on the turkey.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
24 lb in a quick 24 hr brine. Then loosen the skin on the breast add butter under the skin then spread butter on the out side skin salt and pepper it...... Then add the stuffing/dressing inside and bake in the oven....

I have a smaller 15 lb for the smoker another day.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
19 lbs. Stuffed with home made cornbread pecan stuffing. Set in roasting pan and slow roasted in the Green Mountain Grill using Pecan pellets. YUMMM.

sintax

Reaction score
Deep fried is my favorite but trying the Traeger for the first time this year. 22lb turkey 4-5 hour Cherry smoke hope it turns out perfect. My neighbor is a master chef and said we will love it.

thats a big ol bird, depending on your temp, you might exceed your hour window on that one. Another tip i'd give is make sure you take the temp in all 4 corners of the bird. I've found I have to rotate mine half way through so it cooks evenly on both sides.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
We did thanksgiving this past Sunday. I smoked a Turkey and my wife made one in the oven. First time smoking a Turkey. Came out great. Used apple and cherry wood.

Brined it for 48 hours and injected it with creole butter. Basted it with melted unsalted butter every 30-45 minutes. Skin was crispy and the meat was super juicy.

IMG_9555.jpg

IMG_9558.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

IMG_9561.jpg

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I have been deep frying in peanut oil for 15 plus years. The deep fried turkey skin is the only skin my wife will eat...well except you know. Lol

I have tried injecting with Cajun seasoning, butter under the skin, all kinds of stuff. For the past 10 years, I just inject with turkey stock 24 hours ahead of time. 60 minutes in the peanut oil and BAM, best turkey ever.

I am not allowed to try anything else any more...which I am ok with. Nothing like fucking up Thanksgiving.

Andy B.

Reaction score
We did thanksgiving this past Sunday. I smoked a Turkey and my wife made one in the oven. First time smoking a Turkey. Came out great. Used apple and cherry wood.

Brined it for 48 hours and injected it with creole butter. Basted it with melted unsalted butter every 30-45 minutes. Skin was crispy and the meat was super juicy.

View attachment 945906

View attachment 945907

View attachment 945908

View attachment 945909

That looks delicious can't wait until tomorrow!!

Happy early Thanksgiving everyone and party on with lots of friends thats what we're doing!

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Fry.

It always adds a little excitement when there's a possibility that you burn the house down.

Oh, and it's not as dry.

But turkey still sucks without a shit ton of gravy.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
First time smoking it in our Rectec. Put it in the brine this morning. Going to inject it with chicken broth and butter before putting on. 16 pound bird at 300 degrees until 165 degrees is what the recipe says. Thinking it will be about 4 hours???

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Before my dad died I used to deep fry turkeys. So good takes about 1-1/2 all said and done. Worst parts is the oil afterwords.

I wish I could do that again. My wife wants to go to her family’s and being honest their food sucks

Riverhound

Reaction score
Used to deep fry but have transitioned to smoking... Last year we tried a creole butter injection with some slap your mama rub and it was amazing. The family asked for it again this year.

Javajoe

Reaction score
First time smoking it in our Rectec. Put it in the brine this morning. Going to inject it with chicken broth and butter before putting on. 16 pound bird at 300 degrees until 165 degrees is what the recipe says. Thinking it will be about 4 hours???
Mine last year was a 19lb smoked at 325. Took 4.5 hours. Pulled at 155/160 and it rested an hour. Was perfect. Got up to temperature while it rested

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Mine last year was a 19lb smoked at 325. Took 4.5 hours. Pulled at 155/160 and it rested an hour. Was perfect. Got up to temperature while it rested
Thanks for the info. Should be right at 4 hours than for a smaller bird.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Going to try the fryer tomorrow and see how that goes. Might have to get a Traeger though since it seems to be all the rage now.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Oven, even though its not thanksgiving in Canada. I'm making a turkey. I'll make turkey enchiladas out of it. So not a thanksgiving dinner.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Close to start! A 2 hour smoke ....
Turkey 2.jpg

Turkey 1.jpg

150* update
Turkey 3.jpg

Turkey 5.jpg

A Shrimp and Crab stuffing and a few more degrees I'll start painting on the bbq sauce!

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of turkey, too dry. People talk about how moist the turkey is and I'm like
tenor (7).gif

I couldn't imagine if it was actually dry, and yes I have had deep fried, still dry. I'd rather smoke a brisket.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Baked in my thermador oven, 300 degrees, unstuffed. Comes out great.

I brine it overnight. Then stuff it with butter, rosemary, garlic between the skin and breast meat. Baste it with more butter and a rub. cooked covered half way then uncover it.

I want to try the smoker just have’t got around to it yet.

BlowMe

Reaction score
Helping a buddy do a turducken tomorrow. He dispatched 2 of his turkeys and a chicken today. And went hunting and got the ducks last weekend. Should be interesting. I think he said all said and done with it weighs 25 pounds. He used his smaller turkey. The bigger turkey he dispatched today weighed 36 pounds dressed.

River Runnin

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of turkey, too dry. People talk about how moist the turkey is and I'm like
View attachment 946031

I couldn't imagine if it was actually dry, and yes I have had deep fried, still dry. I'd rather smoke a brisket.
More times than not, when I take mine off and sit for a few (30 min) -- I can drop it on the counter (about 4 inches) the legs & wings fall off! ... And this is one of those! just got it off! :D

Javajoe

Reaction score
View attachment 946031

Must be doing it all wrong and over cooking it