Reaction score
How do a reseason a Blackstone griddle.

Attachments

• IMG_20211124_155642193.jpg
    IMG_20211124_155642193.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 206

Riverryder

Reaction score
looks like it wasnt cleaned after last use? or it got wet?
just heat it up and do like you did when you first got it.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I would sand it really good then re-season it.
Do what this guys says.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
How do a reseason a Blackstone griddle.
I would remove whatever grease is left then hit the whole griddle with a wire wheel and sand paper to get it back to new condition. Then season as normal.

Always clean your griddle and re-oil after each use. If it’s going to be stored for long periods of time or in humid areas coat the griddle with Crisco.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
you didnt cover it. hit it with a stone and reseason

Reactions: DWC

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I have done it with a wire wheel, then sandpaper, clean, and re-season.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I use a wire wheel on a drill, grind it down to bare metal. then turn it up full blast, put oil on it until it stops smoking. so that 1-2 times depending on how black it gets. done. every once in a while you gotta take it down. we cook a lot of sugary marinades etc and eventually the grill stops having that "sizzle" that we love so much that makes edges crunchy, etc.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Also when you’re done cooking you turn it up full blast, pour about two cups of water on it. This will lift all the cooked on sugars fats etc. spoosh it off towards the drain. Wipe with paper towel. Put oil on it and you’re good to go. If it’s cleaned and oiled it won’t rust.

Justfishing

Reaction score
I just bought it from Lowes. Someone bought it, used it one time without seaoning it. It is the 2burner model.

I saw it sitting in a corner for months. Was hidden and you couldnt see the price unless you really looked. Started at half price . They kept marking it down. It was down to $24...90% off.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
I just bought it from Lowes. Someone bought it, used it one time without seaoning it. It is the 2burner model.

I saw it sitting in a corner for months. Was hidden and you couldnt see the price unless you really looked. Started at half price . They kept marking it down. It was down to $24...90% off.

instructions are hard for some people.

like a used cast iron pan. little cleaning and good as new.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Bringing this one back up.

First of all. I googled "How to re-season a Blackstone Griddle." I watched a video from a guy that was pretty well put together. I skipped to the end to see how it turned out before I invested 18 minutes of my life. It had chunks of unevenness (is that a word?). So he had just kind of scraped the loose stuff and then reseasoned it. Definitely NOT how I would do it. So, I scroll on down the search results page. This post from RDP was #5 on the list. Honestly, I knew this thread was here, but I thought it would be quicker to use Google and I knew I would get videos. Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool.

No. I didn't leave the griddle in the rain. It has a nice lid, and I have checked it after several rains. No water gets inside. It has never rusted. Here is what I suspect happened:

Do you guys recall my thread asking about oils because I was looking to switch from grapeseed oil to something healthier? Well, I did switch to avocado oil, and I suspect there was a chemical reaction or rejection of some sort. I noticed the chipping and flaking about 2 weeks after I made the switch. Has anyone else had something like this happen? or do you think it was just time? How often do you think is the average time between seasonings? I've had the griddle about 18 months, but did not use it during the summer at all because it stays here in Havasu when we go home. I use it 2-3 times a week from October through March. We're going to have to re-season it before we leave next month. It's not something I'm looking forward to, for sure. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

First of all. I googled "How to re-season a Blackstone Griddle." I watched a video from a guy that was pretty well put together. I skipped to the end to see how it turned out before I invested 18 minutes of my life. It had chunks of unevenness (is that a word?). So he had just kind of scraped the loose stuff and then reseasoned it. Definitely NOT how I would do it. So, I scroll on down the search results page. This post from RDP was #5 on the list. Honestly, I knew this thread was here, but I thought it would be quicker to use Google and I knew I would get videos. Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool.

No. I didn't leave the griddle in the rain. It has a nice lid, and I have checked it after several rains. No water gets inside. It has never rusted. Here is what I suspect happened:

Do you guys recall my thread asking about oils because I was looking to switch from grapeseed oil to something healthier? Well, I did switch to avocado oil, and I suspect there was a chemical reaction or rejection of some sort. I noticed the chipping about 2 weeks after I made the switch. Has anyone else had something like this happen? or do you think it was just time? How often do you think is the average time between seasonings? I've had the griddle about 18 months, but did not use it during the summer at all because it stays here in Havasu when we go home. I use it 2-3 times a week from October through March. We're going to have to re-season it before we leave next month. It's not something I'm looking forward to, for sure. Any additional advice would be appreciated.
It’s not a Blackstone, but I use avacado oil to season a big cast iron pan. It works better than the olive oil I was using previously.

Based on the other thread responses it seems a little re-prep then a season or two might be needed to get yours back into shape.

Another poster said, if you’re going to leave it long term use Crisco . I have no idea if that works but he recommended it.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Your post made me just realize that I'm not having the same issue with my cast iron, but I've used every oil under the sun on that. I'm pretty sure they were originally seasoned with Wesson oil over 30 years ago when we got married. I've never had to reseason them.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score

Do you guys recall my thread asking about oils because I was looking to switch from grapeseed oil to something healthier? Well, I did switch to avocado oil, and I suspect there was a chemical reaction or rejection of some sort. I noticed the chipping about 2 weeks after I made the switch. Has anyone else had something like this happen? or do you think it was just time? How often do you think is the average time between seasonings? I've had the griddle about 18 months, but did not use it during the summer at all because it stays here in Havasu when we go home. I use it 2-3 times a week from October through March. We're going to have to re-season it before we leave next month. It's not something I'm looking forward to, for sure. Any additional advice would be appreciated.
My blackstone is maybe 6 months old. Watched the videos before first use, did a light sand and then several layers of avocado oil to “season it” It has a hardcover lid and I have a cover for the whole grill that gets put on after every use. Water never gets in unless it’s the water I use to clean it. Always spread more avocado oil on after every use, and now I’m getting rust spots.

Never used anything other than avocado oil. Maybe you’re on to something? Kinda bummed out that I might have to sand this down again in that short amount of time.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Are you applying the oil and then turning the heat on to bake the oil in? I put the avacado oil on the cooking surfaces of the pan, wipe it around to cover evenly then flip it over and light a burner and let it sit over the burner upside down until it gets good and hot, then turn it off and let it cool.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Interesting timing...are these things 'that' good? I've heard guys say they prefer it over a standard grill.
If I'm buying 1 thing, traditional grill or this Blackstone thing?
Are there other similar ones?

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Interesting timing...are these things 'that' good? I've heard guys say they prefer it over a standard grill.
Plenty of similar ones....different brands.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score

Honestly, I got rid of my BBQ because I stopped using it after getting the griddle. It is so versatile and I can cook so many things on it. Burgers and chicken don't dry out. I can cook Chinese food, pancakes, bacon, scallops, hashbrowns . . . I made patty melts a couple of nights ago. I can cook a whole breakfast on it, shut it off, pour on some warm water, scrape it, wipe it, re-oil it while it's still warm, and wipe off any residue. It beats one pan for eggs, another for potatoes, another for eggs. I think it's easier to clean. . . . at least until a couple of weeks ago.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Honestly, I got rid of my BBQ because I stopped using it after getting the griddle. It is so versatile and I can cook so many things on it. Burgers and chicken don't dry out. I can cook Chinese food, pancakes, bacon, scallops, hashbrowns . . . I made patty melts a couple of nights ago. I can cook a whole breakfast on it, shut it off, pour on some warm water, scrape it, wipe it, re-oil it while it's still warm, and wipe off any residue. It beats one pan for eggs, another for potatoes, another for eggs. I think it's easier to clean. . . . at least until a couple of weeks ago.
Well there's my answer....im getting one

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Are you applying the oil and then turning the heat on to bake the oil in? I put the avacado oil on the cooking surfaces of the pan, wipe it around to cover evenly then flip it over and light a burner and let it sit over the burner upside down until it gets good and hot, then turn it off and let it cool.

I don't think the issue is my oil application. I'm applying the oil when the griddle is still pretty warm so that it bonds to the surface. I've never heard of anyone flipping the griddle over. Interesting concept.
Plenty of similar ones....different brands.
Mine are actually the Wal-Mart version. Same size as the two-burner Blackstone but with 3 burners and a built-in lid. I also liked where the grease tray is better. I did quite a bit of research before I bought the one I have in Havasu. I liked it so much that I purchased another one for at home, but that one came pre-seasoned, so I wasn't happy about that. I went ahead and seasoned it again because I don't trust whatever the heck kind of Chinese oil they put on it. Heck, we will have to see . . . maybe I won't have this issue with the pre-seasoned one. 😜

In hindsight, I would get a Blackstone instead, just because I try not to purchase stuff from China. But when I got the first one, I wasn't sure how much I would like it, so I wasn't ready to spend the extra money, especially since we also purchased a patio couch set and outdoor dining set the same weekend. The Expert Grill works great though, and like I said, 3 burners instead of 2, with an attached lid.

After watching a few videos, it seems like this is the norm, and probably not oil-related. They just need to be re-seasoned annually perhaps.

Last edited:

mothershipper

Reaction score
Also when you’re done cooking you turn it up full blast, pour about two cups of water on it. This will lift all the cooked on sugars fats etc. spoosh it off towards the drain. Wipe with paper towel. Put oil on it and you’re good to go. If it’s cleaned and oiled it won’t rust.
This is exactly what I do with mine.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
There's a definite learning curve to using a griddle vs a grill. I'm still in chapter One.😁 A little bit of success but mostly "meh" when it comes to a slab of meat.....so far.😏

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Well there's my answer....im getting one

Just watch a couple of videos on seasoning it. It takes about an hour and a half or so. It's not difficult, just time-consuming. You might as well invest in Proctor & Gamble . . . for all of the paper towels you are going to use over the life of the griddle. 🤣

To Ziggy's point, you can't really put a rack of ribs or beer-can chicken on it, and pork loins may be challenging. As for slabs of meat (assuming beef), I've found butter to be my friend.

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
For cleaning...
Scrape all residual food into drain etc.
a squirt bottle with a cap on it like a mustard bottle and water directly on the hot griddle surface immediately following cooking completion, a rolled or folded up dish towel, bath hand towel or cotton baby diaper etc. and long tongs, careful of steam burns, clamp wet towel w/tongs and scrub the surafce clean to the drain slot.
worx really well to clean it quickly and turn off burners. Done deal. Season only when necessary. Worx well for me. Learned that technique in the restaurant when i was a youngin.

Reactions: DLC

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Ya’ll should goto Benihana and watch them clean the cooking surface. They get it spotless.

They don’t season since they get so much use and the oils they cook with probably leave all the coating they need.

DLC

Reaction score
I bought a flat griddle plate ( Home Depot ) to set of top of my gas grill grates….

I didn’t want another cooker on the patio…. Already have 3

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Angie, I don't have a Blackstone but my cast iron pan will flake sometimes, usually when I cook something that ends up steaming while it is cooking. This is largely operator error as I didn't get the pan hot enough before adding whatever I was cooking.

I don't worry about sanding it down, just coat with oil and heat till the pan smokes, wipe it out with a clean cotton rag and allow the pan to cool. It is reasoned at that point and the exposed iron should be a dull light grey. After cooking a few meals the spot will continue to season and the pan will be uniform black. I don't see what that wouldn't work on a cast iron griddle.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Just watch a couple of videos on seasoning it. It takes about an hour and a half or so. It's not difficult, just time-consuming. You might as well invest in Proctor & Gamble . . . for all of the paper towels you are going to use over the life of the griddle. 🤣

To Ziggy's point, you can't really put a rack of ribs or beer-can chicken on it, and pork loins may be challenging. As for slabs of meat (assuming beef), I've found butter to be my friend.

The paper towel consumption is a real issue! My wife scolds me when I take the entire roll outside to cook....at least till she tried it herself - now she takes the roll :p

DB / HAV

Reaction score
By far the best way to clean your flat top. It will look new and then season it. A little pricey but if you are over the top picky you will love it. 3M grill cleaning kit

1709045601546.jpeg

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I'm into the 5th or 6th years with my Blackstone. Every year at the beginning of the outdoor cooking season I do the wire wheel and angle grinder deal followed by a floppy sanding disk and the palm sander. Takes about 45 minutes to get it down to shiny brite steel. After that I do a couple/three coats with flaxseed oil.
grill.jpg

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
So when I had to strip and re-season mine a couple months ago I looked into it a lot. There are a couple reasons why the seasoning can flake off. One of which being too much water to clean it, another could be too aggressive of scrapping during the cleaning, along with other storage issues. One thing to keep in mind is to oil it after use and if in a humid area, DO NOT BURN OFF THE OIL. The oil is there to protect from the water getting to the seasoning and/or metal and causing rust (another reason the seasoning can flake off).

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Ya’ll should goto Benihana and watch them clean the cooking surface. They get it spotless.

They don’t season since they get so much use and the oils they cook with probably leave all the coating they need.

I'm gonna guess those are stainless??

I love my Blackstone. Haven't used a BBQ since I got it.

As far as caring for it goes...

After I'm done cooking, I leave it a mess.

When I'm ready to use it again...

I'll turn the heat up full blast, and after it's smoking hot, take the scraper and scrape everything into the bin.

After that, I let it cool down to cooking temp, spray it with high temp Pam, and cook normally.

It's over a year old now and works perfectly with this program.

I'll probably make these tonight with my own sauce and Fresno peppers...

Englewood

Reaction score
This what I began doing also...Makes it so easy. Looks brand new still.