WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How do u cook your shell fish?

Jimmy

Reaction score
Was cray open season last week.
Went craying over the weekend with a few mates.
Ive kept a few to cook for the inlaws tonight, just looking for cooking ideas. 20170612_113903.jpg FB_IMG_1497243580877.jpg FB_IMG_1497243587234.jpg FB_IMG_1497243598477.jpg FB_IMG_1497243593154.jpg FB_IMG_1497243617952.jpg FB_IMG_1497243649129.jpg 20170610_172525.jpg 20170610_165936.jpg 20170610_165055.jpg FB_IMG_1497243635514.jpg FB_IMG_1497243644560.jpg FB_IMG_1497243629889.jpg 20170610_141210.jpg FB_IMG_1497243607662.jpg

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
At what point do cray fish become lobsters??:headscratch:

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
At what point do cray fish become lobsters??:headscratch:
They don't. Crawfish technically are lobsters. The thing that separates them is lobsters are salt water and crawfish are fresh

Jimmy

Reaction score
Steam them just like a Lobster? Dipped in Butter.
I dont have a steamer so im just going to wing it.
The plan is boil him till he floats then in the oven with garlic butter. [emoji108] Magic

Jimmy

Reaction score
Apparently if u chuck them in a ice bath straight after the boil it pulls the meat off the shell.

Jimmy

Reaction score
The small one only just fit. 20170612_164541.jpg

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Well I've never tried cooking them in valvoline or bushman. :D

And are you sure you're in Australia?

That one pic looks like a guy shooting a rifle?
I thought guns were a no no down there?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Forgot to ask.
What are the various cook times for the Dutch oven rigs you're running there?
Id imagine the chunk of red meat takes longer than the sea scorpions?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
They don't. Crawfish technically are lobsters. The thing that separates them is lobsters are salt water and crawfish are fresh

I have never had a crawfish, but how do they taste compared to a lobster? If it's even remotely similar I'm going to start hunting here in Havasu.. LOL

Jimmy! Loved the boat retrieval! As far as Crawfish (not sure that's the same thing here, as what you are showing pics of there?) never had one.. I do see them in the river every now and again, but none the size of what you are showing. They are usually pretty small here.

Hope all is well man! Let me know when you want to come back?

And what's up with the gun? Thought that was a no go down there?

RD

Jimmy

Reaction score
Well I've never tried cooking them in valvoline or bushman. :D

And are you sure you're in Australia?

That one pic looks like a guy shooting a rifle?
I thought guns were a no no down there?
In just semiautos and hand guns, people look at ya like a blow hard.
Hunting rifles and shotguns are for game are a thing over here. More so for us country guys.

We where only messing with a slug gun, having a shot at anything we could find lying around.
Forgot to ask.
What are the various cook times for the Dutch oven rigs you're running there?
Id imagine the chunk of red meat takes longer than the sea scorpions?
We call it a camp oven, why give the dutch all the credit for the Aussies to perfecting it.

I put that lamb leg on at 2pm and then vegies at 4pm. Had dinner at 6pm.
Them poppers to an hour.

Trick is to sit a tray in the bottom of the camp oven and pour about 1/4 gallon cooking oil over the meat to start with and a heap of salt.

Sit the oven on hot coals and cover the lid with hot coals and u should hear the oil poping.
U just replace the coals when u cant hear the poping.
Oil it every time u top the coals up.
Ideally u want to use hardwood.
Its hard to screw one up.

Jimmy

Reaction score
I have never had a crawfish, but how do they taste compared to a lobster? If it's even remotely similar I'm going to start hunting here in Havasu.. LOL

Jimmy! Loved the boat retrieval! As far as Crawfish (not sure that's the same thing here, as what you are showing pics of there?) never had one.. I do see them in the river every now and again, but none the size of what you are showing. They are usually pretty small here.

Hope all is well man! Let me know when you want to come back?

And what's up with the gun? Thought that was a no go down there?

RD
Those crawfish are exactly like what we call Yabbies.
I was showing off when I was in Michigan at a mates house and showing them how to catching them with ya bare hands lol.

Yabbies are bit fiddley to cook, not much meat on them. Ours are about 5-8 inchs long.
We go raid a few dams for christmas.

Best time for u guys would be now in the summer.
Throw a few opera house nets in with beef liver or chicken frames.

But those fresh water Murray Crays are huge.

Legal size is 4in from the eyes to the start of the tail.
images%20(10).jpg

Jimmy

Reaction score
BIG JIMS BAR & GRILL.

Must have been a hit, I stepped away for 10mins and everyone stole the good bits. 20170612_165717.jpg 20170612_192839.jpg 20170612_174236.jpg

Attachments

• 20170612_174236.jpg
    20170612_174236.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 28

poncho

Reaction score
Love the pic's, looks like you guy's know how to have a good time. :thumbsup

rivergames

Reaction score
I've cooked quite a bit of lobster over the years. Everything from BBQ, boil, steam, oven, etc....

My favorite way, is to broil

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

If you've never been to a southern or Louisiana-style crawfish boil, you're missing out [emoji106]

The crawfish in this thread are massive though, not like what we get in the states.

I'd say one other difference is no one really eats the body of a lobster, just the tail and claws.

Crawfish you generally pinch the tail to get the meat out, then "suck dem heads" [emoji4]

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I've had crawfish a couple of times and it wasn't too bad, but all the Cajun seasonings kind of over ride any lobster taste.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
If you've never been to a southern nor Louisiana-style crawfish boil, you're missing out [emoji106]

The crawfish in this thread are masssivr though, not like what we get in the states.

I'd say one other difference is no one really eats the body of a lobster, just the tail and claws.

Crawfish you generally pinch the tail to get the meat out, then "suck dem heads" [emoji4]

Listen to the new Texan gettin' all "Coon-Ass" on 'dem mudbugs......:skull:skull

Those Aussie crawlers are a whole different deal than our 'lil crawfish....They damned sure look good and more like Lobster.

Old Texan

Reaction score
I've had crawfish a couple of times and it wasn't too bad, but all the Cajun seasonings kind of over ride any lobster taste.

I've ate tons of both and there isn't a real like comparison. Both are distinctive in flavor likely due to size as much as anything plus preparation styles.

The typical crawfish boil is great stuff, but Crawfish Ettoufee and Crawfish Stew is something that really makes one appreciate the taste.:thumbsup

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Crawfish are also known as "mud bugs" and "gutter cod" for a reason. They also live in drainage ditches. Can't even imagine some of the trash they eat. We lived in the south for a few years. Dishes like ettoufe and gumbo would be great no matter what you put in them. IMHO - there is little comparison between crawfish and salt water lobster. Much of the crawfish is now coming from crawfish farms. So, they tend to feed on each other's poop. No thanks.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Crawfish are also known as "mud bugs" and "gutter cod" for a reason. They also live in drainage ditches. Can't even imagine some of the trash they eat. We lived in the south for a few years. Dishes like ettoufe and gumbo would be great no matter what you put in them. IMHO - there is little comparison between crawfish and salt water lobster. Much of the crawfish is now coming from crawfish farms. So, they tend to feed on each other's poop. No thanks.

One organism's waste...it usually doesn't take long to get to "poop-eater" from where we sit on the food chain.

In a day and age when people pay big money for coffee beans that cats poop out...
Hell, honey is the undigested barf of an insect (bees).

Any bivalve or bottom-dweller is gonna eat waste.
Catfish...crabs...lobster.
Not to mention the literal shit that all plants thrive on LOL

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
One organism's waste...it usually doesn't take long to get to "poop-eater" from where we sit on the food chain.

In a day and age when people pay big money for coffee beans that cats poop out...

Yep, most any vegetable thrives on, I believe, the nitrogen from cow shit.

Brian

stephenkatsea

Reaction score

IMHO - there is no comparison between farm raised and wild caught fish/sea food of any kind.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
They season the living shit out of crawfish because if they don't, it's a similar taste to 3 day old minnow bucket water. Nasty.

Old Texan

Reaction score

LoL.....How much time have you spent around farms and such where most of our meat/protein products are raised? Chickens for instance. Chickens are a filthy animal and no telling what they eat on their own in a "range" area. Commercially raised in cramped cages they still eat some very disgusting items.

Hogs, hell they eat anything they dig up or come upon.

Crawfish farms are basically flooded fields with lots of vegetation. I'd wager the amount of their brothers' poop consumed is minimal and well mixed into the mud and decayed vegetation.

Ya like shrimp and oysters? Don't research their diets if you do. How about a nice grilled Talapia fillet? :yikes:skull

And as far as the vegetables we get in the typical market, don't read the articles about where the majority of E Coli outbreaks come from. Vegetables that have been contaminated by floods or other means by manure and even human waste are not uncommon. Wash them well to avoid this more statically likely way to get sick than eating boiled crawfish.;)

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Since this thread started out as "How do you cook shellfish?", thought I'd post this. Perhaps the most sought after West Coast shellfish is abalone. But, extremely expensive and hard to find. So, my wife tried making what she called mock abalone. Cut boneless skinless chicken breasts (yes, chicken can also be shit eaters) into the size of an abalone steak. With a mallet lightly tenderize the chicken, until it is the consistency of an abalone steak. In a zip lock plastic bag marinate the tenderized chicken in the frig overnight, or longer, in good quality store bought clam juice. After patting dry, lightly flour the chicken fillets, and saute in butter as you would abalone. She hits it with fresh lime juice as soon as it comes out of the frying pan. Not abalone, but she has fooled a quite few So Cal natives with this dish.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Them some big mud bugs. They were thick as flys in the channel area back in the 70's 80's. Suckers used to grab ya when we were watching the ski shows standing in the water back then.

Dragging the boat and trailer up the bank is how we did it steelhead fishing up in Oregon only we left the trailer on the rig and just lowered the driftboat down the side of the bank, cliff, whatever to the water. I've dropped a boat in over the bank about 120' down.