WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How do you stop thieves from stealing your Catalytic Converter?

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Had one of my work trucks get hit last night.
20210312_093331.jpg

Water Romper

Reaction score
Does insurance pay for replacement?
...and if its in your driveway, would home-owners insurance cover it?

BAS

Reaction score
We h
On our route trucks the vatos would steal them while the bread man is delivering bread in the store, we had 12 stolen this way in one day!

We just hauled 16 bread/step vans from the East Coast to San Francisco every single one of their catalytic converter‘s were stolen out of the customer lot before we picked them up. I think their mechanic had something to do with it but, It’s a huge risk for us hauling cars. I require pictures or video of them running at pick up and drop off sucks for the drivers. They are probably on high demand with all the van being rebuilt for Amazon.

rush1

Reaction score
We h

We just hauled 16 bread/step vans from the East Coast to San Francisco every single one of their catalytic converter‘s were stolen out of the customer lot before we picked them up. I think their mechanic had something to do with it but, It’s a huge risk for us hauling cars. I require pictures or video of them running at pick up and drop off sucks for the drivers. They are probably on high demand with all the van being rebuilt for Amazon.
Yep you had to deal with Roy the fleet manager for Norcal good guy ,Alan is his boss.
Actually Morgan Olson built an entire new manufacturing facility just to build amazon step vans that's how big the order for trucks is !

Radioactive

Reaction score

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Does insurance pay for replacement?
...and if its in your driveway, would home-owners insurance cover it?
Yes, if you have full coverage. Many times though...there are availability issues and it totals the vehicles. My truck for example...the right side OE cat is a 2 piece assembly...the rear cat is part of the muffler and the front cat is part of the downpipe. Both are discontinued. I was able to find the front one on the shelf at a dealer in NorCal but not the rear. The left side was available OE so I got that...about $1700 IIRC (with my discount). I had to go aftermarket on the right side and got lucky to find one available that included both cats. I don't like aftermarket cats because they don't work as well or last as long, but I had no choice other than total the vehicle, which I wasn't ready to do.

I'm amazed the insurance companies aren't lobbying to get some laws in place for tracking used cat purchasing. It would be very easy to do and no legitimate outfit would have a problem doing it. It would shut down the thefts overnight.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Yes, if you have full coverage. Many times though...there are availability issues and it totals the vehicles. My truck for example...the right side OE cat is a 2 piece assembly...the rear cat is part of the muffler and the front cat is part of the downpipe. Both are discontinued. I was able to find the front one on the shelf at a dealer in NorCal but not the rear. The left side was available OE so I got that...about $1700 IIRC (with my discount). I had to go aftermarket on the right side and got lucky to find one available that included both cats. I don't like aftermarket cats because they don't work as well or last as long, but I had no choice other than total the vehicle, which I wasn't ready to do.

I'm amazed the insurance companies aren't lobbying to get some laws in place for tracking used cat purchasing. It would be very easy to do and no legitimate outfit would have a problem doing it. It would shut down the thefts overnight.
A law like you talk about would be racist ...

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Mine came in at $ 2900 to replace. Truck has 3 cat's 2 were stolen along with 2 O2 Sensors. Only one assembly available in so cal. I did get close to $400 as a core on the one remaining Cat.:mad: Had a security camera right in front of the truck and sure as shit the DVR didn't record any of it. Looking for a new security DVR setup now as well.

4Waters

Reaction score
Mine came in at $ 2900 to replace. Truck has 3 cat's 2 were stolen along with 2 O2 Sensors. Only one assembly available in so cal. I did get close to $400 as a core on the one remaining Cat.:mad: Had a security camera right in front of the truck and sure as shit the DVR didn't record any of it. Looking for a new security DVR setup now as well.
What camera setup do you have

4Waters

Reaction score
HIK-Vision
I just put up swann enforcer, I'm pretty happy with it, it doesn't like the sides of my house because it's to narrow and the camera is wide angle so the night vision doesn't work well.

It picks up movement in the middle of the street and starts recording, with cars in the driveway it won't pick up someone on the sidewalk until they are walking in between the cars but still on the sidewalk.
Screenshot_20210317-165952_Swann Security.jpg

Here is the one side of my house, I'll post another pic tonight once it's dark.
Screenshot_20210317-170048_Swann Security.jpg

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
A buddy of mine showed me his where he took some like 3/8” bar stock and welded it onto his exhaust pipe near the cat. It basically wouldn’t stop them but it would turn a 10 second cut job into like a 2 minute by simply adding more material to have to cut through. My thoughts if it were stainless and it would dull the blade and help?

boatnam2

Reaction score
Somebody steals one for a VW Touareg let me know, I will buy it.....J/k sorta

4Waters

Reaction score
HIK-Vision, Cameras are good DVR and interface not so much.
I just put up swann enforcer, I'm pretty happy with it, it doesn't like the sides of my house because it's to narrow and the camera is wide angle so the night vision doesn't work well.

It picks up movement in the middle of the street and starts recording, with cars in the driveway it won't pick up someone on the sidewalk until they are walking in between the cars but still on the sidewalk.
View attachment 983209

Here is the one side of my house, I'll post another pic tonight once it's dark.
View attachment 983210
Here is the same shots at night

Screenshot_20210317-202113_Swann Security.jpg

Screenshot_20210317-201758_Swann Security.jpg

There is a door just inside the gate that leads into the garage so I'm going to put a camera in the garage

67Charger

Reaction score
So, serious question. I have some scrap cat's left over from vehicles I have scrapped for their engines to swap into older cars. Where can I sell them (I have 3 or 4) for a decent price? Who is paying the stupid money for them?

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Battery power .... Defeats everything in seconds. I can be through the thickest lock with a battery grinder in seconds.

There is a hybrid repair shop across the alley from mine. About a week ago he had 7 Prius in there with cut converters and he eventually told the customers to just pick them up.

With the port backup he can't get them. The cost, $1800 or so plus labor, irrelevant.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Girl down the street, brand new Honda CRV,, stole hers last night and took the spare too.

floatn turd

Reaction score
Doing it right yo!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Doing it right yo!

That adds about 15 seconds to process.

The correct answer is to put bullets in their heads and hang them from the nearest tree with their sawzall shoved halfway up their ass. When enough of these wind chimes exist, the thefts will stop. It's not difficult.