WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How Do Your kids Communicate?:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
In the circles we roll with a growing interest among kids are finding old portable typewriters at garage sales and Craig's list. The older and more compact the better. You can still get ribbons for just about every make. They get tubes for the record players too but that's another thread.

My nieces and nephews and youngest son typewrite their girlfriends and boyfriends and mail each other letters. They have the flying O's, the dropped i's.
More romantic? You make that call.

images

Long ago COSTCO bought about $6 million in forever stamps and still resells that purchase today at that way reduced price. I stock up on them there. My kids help themselves to those stamps. They are burning through them.

Friend Darryl was a catcher for the Oakland Athletics. Later worked their farm system with a long career as a coach. Made good money and pulls a players pension. He's too cheap to pay the extra $5 to have texting on his cell phone plan. He can't understand why no one wants to just talk on the phone.

My sister beside herself that she never hears from the kids in the family. They don't answer e mails nor their phone she complains.
"You need to enable your texting" I told her. Took years for her to finally get with the trend. Not the cost, just mule headed stuck in her way stubbornness held it all back.

Maynard was finally old enough to stay at home while the wife and I went to Vegas. Maynard was a student in a really academically tough school. Maynard the top 3 students, scores separated by 1000th of a point between them.
He couldn't understand the neatly written instructions mom left. Maynard, nor none of his brain laundry friends read nor write cursive anymore.

It really is a new era - sometimes going full circle.

How do you kids communicate?

Last edited:

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
The typewriter is kind of cool. Kids around our hood aren’t into that so this is news to me.

our daughter has group chats usually. Several kids will all be on the same line at once yappin away. Not sure what app it is. Maybe FaceTime?

I’ll send a few clients a handwritten note on personalized stationary once in a while.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Fwiw, my oldest daughter taught herself handwriting. School sent home a note in third grade that they no longer have the time to teach the skill, but here is a bunch of worksheets, knock yourself out. So she did.

She's my artist/ future hippy. Script is like drawing for her so she gets a charge out of it.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
The schools don't teach cursive anymore???? No kids here!!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
No. It's pretty much history.

One daughter will stare at me quietly with her shoulders straight when she's pissed at me.
Eyes burning like lazers following me about.
Then, eventually, hell breaks loose.
Ya just hear them out, let them have their say.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Some still do. I think it depends on the school though. Both my daughter who’s in charter school and my nephew who’s in public that has stem programs both know cursive.

Reactions: TPC

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Yes, cursive is mostly dead in a lot of public schools. The principal at my wife's school has a 6th grader. He was shocked my son can read or write in cursive.

Dumb down the masses. Less to see what happens, and easier to change what "history" is printed.

My kids email and talk on the phone. Little texting for my 16yo, none for the 12 and 13yo boys.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I can read it just fine, but I would be hard pressed to actually write in it. Hell I barely use lower case letters at all anymore. All caps for me and very small.

As far as type of communication, for me it varies depending on situation.
-When it's work or parts related, im on the phone trying to talk to a real person.
-Any kind of estimates or notes. Im all about hand writing them.
-Personal stuff, I prefer text or email. It gives me a chance to proofread something I said before I piss somebody off

I haven't heard of the typewriting thing, but Im honestly not surprised with the resurgence of vinyl records and tube amplifiers thats been going on. Good on them for keeping a piece of history around and using it. I always love seeing and hearing about stuff like that!

DC-88

Reaction score
We always made ours kids write thank you cards on birthdays, Christmas, graduation etc so I know they can write in cursive, but I'd say now communication is 99% text based, snap type included. One of mine calls me to shoot the shit every couple days on his way home from work , and we've had a family group text running for years which now including a fiance' that blows up every few days with funny shit, day to day adventures, and pics. I know my kids have different long running group texts with different friend groups, different college baseball teams, high school friends etc so that way each whole group is in an ongoing loop . They don't write checks either, purely Venmo and the like. Definitely a long way from writing a letter or leaving a message on the answering machine . Of course I now use ride command instead of rocks, ribbons, a kick starter, and dead reckoning ...

DWC

Reaction score
All 3 call my wife on pretty much a daily basis to shoot the shit. Very cool to see the bond that they have. We have a family group chat that is always entertaining and good for a laugh.
My wife and i used to write a lot of letters. She was 16 when we started dating and I wasn’t allowed over during the week. I’d drop off a letter under a rock and pick one up. (It was better than calling and having her dad answer) The letters continued when she went to UCSB.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I find that my 306th month old prefers to text over phone calls most of the time. He recently informed me that he reads everything that is sent to him. Even though he does not respond to everything sent unless he really like it. :)

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
With each other? Snapchat.

Pretty sure Facebook will die off when our generation dies off. No self respecting human under 20 has a Fecebook account.

I hope it stays the way.

Magic Mike

Reaction score
I think it’s great the kids are going back to a simpler time... I would love to see a lot more of it.
I wish I could have raised my kids like “Leave it to Beaver” or “Happy days” in the 50’s.

2Driver

Reaction score
My kid is 19 and doesn't really have a signature.

When it comes to signing things he prints his name. LOL Guess that was all part of the big plan that worked out this election.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
My 24 year old daughter still lives at home and we talk all the time. My 20 year old son got married in July and the next week, we moved him and his wife to Colorado Springs. We video chat once a week.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
It is truly a new world.
My eldest son is so busy with work, 29 techs under his supervision, plus hiring etc that the only way to reach him in less than an emergency is text, and we can expect a response that evening.
His younger brother works for a major commercial construction co, The colors of which many of you would recognize, and it is the same with him, text is option one, and he will get back to you when he is on break or that evening.
Text is the new phone call, phone calls are reserved for stuff to touchy for text, or emergencies it seems.

TPC got me to thinking, I think the last time I wrote a letter and sent it in the mail was to my grandmother, when I was in college, circa 1977.
Or Cindy, same era, She was in college in SoCal and I was up north...the love letters were something, she still has them all someplace..
Typewriter?

When I started with the SO we started in the jail, and the booking room had two Royal 700 manual typewriters in there.
I had last sat at a typewriter in high school. I was there because the cute girls were there, not to learn to type, and I was successful in not learning to type, LOL.
I printed all my crime reports til forced onto a word processor, where I devloped my own high-speed hunt and peck method which I still use to this day.

wash11

Reaction score
In the circles we roll with a growing interest among kids are finding old portable typewriters at garage sales and Craig's list. The older and more compact the better. You can still get ribbons for just about every make. They get tubes for the record players too but that's another thread.

My nieces and nephews and youngest son typewrite their girlfriends and boyfriends and mail each other letters. They have the flying O's, the dropped i's.
More romantic? You make that call.

images

Long ago COSTCO bought about $6 million in forever stamps and still resells that purchase today at that way reduced price. I stock up on them there. My kids help themselves to those stamps. They are burning through them.

Friend Darryl was a catcher for the Oakland Athletics. Later worked their farm system with a long career as a coach. Made good money and pulls a players pension. He's too cheap to pay the extra $5 to have texting on his cell phone plan. He can't understand why no one wants to just talk on the phone.

My sister beside herself that she never hears from the kids in the family. They don't answer e mails nor their phone she complains.
"You need to enable your texting" I told her. Took years for her to finally get with the trend. Not the cost, just mule headed stuck in her way stubbornness held it all back.

Maynard was finally old enough to stay at home while the wife and I went to Vegas. Maynard was a student in a really academically tough school. Maynard the top 3 students, scores separated by 1000th of a point between them.
He couldn't understand the neatly written instructions mom left. Maynard, nor none of his brain laundry friends read nor write cursive anymore.

It really is a new era - sometimes going full circle.

How do you kids communicate?

I think this is pretty bitchin.

boatdoc55

Reaction score
We always made ours kids write thank you cards on birthdays, Christmas, graduation etc so I know they can write in cursive, but I'd say now communication is 99% text based, snap type included. One of mine calls me to shoot the shit every couple days on his way home from work , and we've had a family group text running for years which now including a fiance' that blows up every few days with funny shit, day to day adventures, and pics. I know my kids have different long running group texts with different friend groups, different college baseball teams, high school friends etc so that way each whole group is in an ongoing loop . They don't write checks either, purely Venmo and the like. Definitely a long way from writing a letter or leaving a message on the answering machine . Of course I now use ride command instead of rocks, ribbons, a kick starter, and dead reckoning ...
Don't get me wrong but ,are you saying without the pics on a text thing, you may not even know how much your kid's appearance has changed??

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Dated a Mom of 3 for almost 10 years . . . kids were all good, pretty much straight A's etc. They had ZERO communication skills, I mean zero, head down, mumbling, adults, coaches, peers, family, didn't matter. Momma had them in sports, swimming, soccer, softball, roller hockey, etc. . Each kid had to do a minimum of 3 years in junior lifeguards, 1 did 5 the others did 4 years . . . . you would've thought they'd develop SOME social skills after all that. . . basically zero. She was an excellent Mother, but damn, those kids were tough. They were one of the reasons we called it quits . . . they were always respectful, but they made it PERFECTLY clear they didn't want me around . . . I guess it worked LOL. They even hated calling their Dad (out of state/out of the picture) every Sunday like Mom required. Not having kids of my own really opened my eyes to how a lot of kids are nowadays . . . sad.

sirbob

Reaction score
FaceTime - my kids are always FaceTiming instead of calling to talk.

I hate it because I know they are with friends or out and about and I’m usually in my pajamas or something like that.

I end up calling them back instead of answering a FaceTime !

boatdoc55

Reaction score
No, quite the opposite actually because mine are early 20's ,fully grown and out of the house. One currently lives in another state so the easy communication is really cool, the other we see more of due to attending college games ( probably to be scamdemic affected ) . We spent a ton of time with them and their friends boating, sports, dirt, fishing, beach etc growing up ( no time for faces buried in phones or anything) , but they did make plans to do stuff with all their buddies via group texts on their phones in group chats (which I think is what TPC was asking about in this thread) which still exist today. For example my youngest was home for Thanksgiving for a couple days so he hit up his high school buddies via the text and an hour later they are all meeting to play some pick up basketball followed by heading out real quick on a buddy's new boat to do a shakedown out of MB .
Thanks, not having young people around is something we've had for 44 years. We are both amazed the way things have advanced with tech over all these years. My wife has caught on quite well but I just refuse to get out of the 70's. I never needed tech, at least I didn't think so, working on 60's- early 90's boats and could have cared less about it. Some seem to think I missed the boat but I think life is easier this way. 🤷‍♂️

PlanB

Reaction score
So, if they don't teach cursive anymore, I guess that means the kids can't read our founding documents?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
So, if they don't teach cursive anymore, I guess that means the kids can't read our founding documents?
Its ok, they'll translate it and teach the kids an abridged version. They'll even tell the kids what it all means.

Cdog

Reaction score
Group chat via text, family dinner time to catch up, car ride to Swim team.

My 13 yr old does calligraphy when she’s bored. She has a whole book of it. Impressive!!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
RD's oldest has keeping Dave's attention and responses down perfect.
Summer maintains strict eye contact and makes RD listen.
Interesting to watch them converse.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Democrats are legislating that away anyway.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thanks, not having young people around is something we've had for 44 years. We are both amazed the way things have advanced with tech over all these years. My wife has caught on quite well but I just refuse to get out of the 70's. I never needed tech, at least I didn't think so, working on 60's- early 90's boats and could have cared less about it. Some seem to think I missed the boat but I think life is easier this way. 🤷‍♂️

My sister collects Cellphones when the kids in the family and extended family visit her. Like a smoker that's trying to quit and tosses his cigarettes the kids keep reaching for something that's not there.

Maynard will get annoyed at his mom when she doesn't catch on to programs concerning her work from home.
Some of that medical programming is tough, complicated and frustrating.
Maynard breezes right through it.

I took the Apple Store Final Cut training with Maynard.
A hell of a fantastic program but not a user friendly program to the average layperson.
Within 25 minutes most of the people there for the class left.
10 Minutes later I and what was left of adults quit too. Only Maynard and another kid remained and picked it up.

Last edited: