WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How does the ethernet panel work.

Icky

Reaction score
This hasn't been hooked up since I bought the house, so the first thing I need to do is tone trace this to see where the line in is coming from. I run a linksys 3 node mesh system in my house and would like to hard wire the nodes. My thought is modem to linksys router and then into the line in side. The other nodes would be hooked up to the other ports, wherever they are in the house. Am I close, watch you tube videos or call a professional.

20210625_162750.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Your on it. You just have to figure out where everything goes!

Icky

Reaction score
Your on it. You just have to figure out where everything goes!
Any idea what a " D.mark " label means? Everything else is labeled den, loft etc. D.mark is the line in

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Maybe relates to the security panel brand name they were using?

No clue really. *shrug*

Joe mama

Reaction score
Fro the utility point of entry or mpoe I’m guessing

Icky

Reaction score
What's the security and test/bridge for? Can I plug the tone tracer into it to send a signal out? I'm gonna try it anyway 🤣🤣

Icky

Reaction score
D mark is usually where the Telcom company or whoever stops working on it. Demarcation point.
Based on this and my googling skills I tone traced it back to the telephone company box. Not sure what the thought was here other than DSL, home was built in 2001. Tied the ethernet and phone lines together. If I recall correctly they had their modem in the garage, which is on the other side of this panel.
20210626_110442.jpg

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the phone may have been converted to VOIP going into the house even though you may still have the same hardwired phone jacks. My house was built in 2004 and a few years ago Cox converted the phone to the main cable feed into the house and it looks similar to what you are showing in your telephone box.

How many ethernet jacks do you have in the house, 3?

Icky

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the phone may have been converted to VOIP going into the house even though you may still have the same hardwired phone jacks. My house was built in 2004 and a few years ago Cox converted the phone to the main cable feed into the house and it looks similar to what you are showing in your telephone box.

How many ethernet jacks do you have in the house, 3?
Yes, but in the most inconvenient places. When she leaves for a weekend I'm going to do 3 more drops. Disconnect the d.mark cable and run a new one from my router.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Do you get your internet through a cable provider? If I am understanding correctly it sounds like your interned feed comes in through the telephone company box on the outside of your house? Do you have a modem now, and if so where is it connected?

Icky

Reaction score
Do you get your internet through a cable provider? If I am understanding correctly it sounds like your interned feed comes in through the telephone company box on the outside of your house? Do you have a modem now, and if so where is it connected?
Internet comes from cable. The telephone wire and cat5E are spliced together in that box, and not connected to the box. Someone cut them and spliced them.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Do you have a cable modem with coax from the cable company going into your house and connecting to the cable modem first?

Icky

Reaction score
Do you have a cable modem with coax from the cable company going into your house and connecting to the cable modem first?
Yes, coax to cable modem, ethernet cable from modem to linksys mesh.

Currently not using any of the telephone or ethernet jacks in the house for anything. My thought was I could run ethernet cables to each of the nodes to improve my speeds through the rest of the house.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
That makes sense - Is the box that you posted in the first pic for your phone jacks perhaps and not the ethernet jacks in your house? It seems like the wiring there is for phone only perhaps?

Icky

Reaction score
I tone traced from the onq 1x6 box (first picture) back to each ethernet jack in the house. Also the phone is standard telephone wire, not cat 5e.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on this, so I may not be helping, but I would think that somehow you are going to need to get a wired connection from your router to any ethernet jacks in your house. In my house I have 2 connections coming in from the cable company. 1 connection outside is similar to what you showed at your telephone box and is for phone only. The 2nd connection is a coax feed that goes to my cable modem, and from my cable modem I connect to my router for my wifi and wired connections throughout my house.

I would double check to ensure that the jacks connected to the 1x6 box you posted accept an RJ45 connector for data and not the smaller RJ11 connector used for phones.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
when I did this years ago, it was as simple as wiring the twisted pair into the cable/xDSL modem wherever I wanted to drop it (i put mine in a coat closet in the middle of the house) then merely plugging (or wiring) all the CAT5 drops from the router to the rooms I wanted to be connected via Ethernet. be sure to make clean TWP connections, and seal them well...DSL drifts / suffers with impedance variations (Co, Lo)

I have to say, though, in my experience the speed is not going to be noticeably different...maybe a few 10's of Mbps faster on testmyspeed.com... when compared to a modern wifi network...
really, the bottleneck anymore is at CO, or sidewalk dropbox, not in your home.
get a fatter pipe?