WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How expensive would gas have to get to to quit boating ?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
My boat runs on AV gas. Parker is a short area to boat in. It’s really not going to change much for me. Hopefully it keeps the wakeboard boats from trolling the river all day.

We are starting to think about gas in the truck and car though. No point in wasting trips, might as well do a little more planning and do as much as you can per trip. 🤷🏼‍♂️

RaceTec

Reaction score
This is the reason I put the 60 gallon tank in my truck! I can fill up on that cheap AZ diesel every time I am out and I am actually ahead going to the river!

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I currently don't have a number in mind... I figure I'm on vacation and try to suck it up and enjoy myself

but if it comes down to Islander to the Channel all day... I'm throwing in the towel

DaveH

Reaction score
LOL I work for Chevron too.

While it's not getting a lot of press the main problem now is refining space. We're on the verge of rationing as it is. Russia is I believe the top or second exporter of diesel and gasoline and there is no place to make up those bbls.

Most of US refining is on the gulf coast. If a major hurricane roars through that region there is no limit really to what prices will see.
the problem i have with this is only a few years ago when fuel was $3 or less......nobody was complaining about refining space or capablities.

kinda like the ports......pre covid the economy was booming and unloading ships wasn't a problem. yet all of a sudden it a huge problem.

as inflation keeps going and fuel prices keep climbing, people will have less disposable income.....you would think this would effect fuel demand having the opposite effect on prices.

yet in the world we live in where everything is ass backwards nowadays, nothing will surprise me anymore.

Roosky01

Reaction score
I imagine there is going to much less tubing and skiing around here, but we will continue to cruise to the sandbars or a bay and spend the day with our family and friends just like before. Boating has become so ingrained into our lifestyle during the season that I don't ever think I could ever let it sit on the trailer. Way too many memories to be made, especially for the kids!

This is the only time I'm happy that I only have a 6.2L 300hp boat! :)

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Need to resurrect the Doom and Gloom section for this thread. 😀

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
What’s the over/under on another -1000 day?
Cock sucking, mother fucking Democrats!!! 🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕
78A3777F-8116-451A-AB3B-7B5EB3E14D58.png

TCHB

Reaction score
Gasoline and other fuels are traded in a world market. Exxon stock up up.

badgas

Reaction score
Agreed.

Selfishly I'd rather people just give up and not go at all, but the reality is you can make the dollar go further by changing some habits while at the river. No one ever said "I had a shitty weekend at the lake because we grilled hot dogs and burgers for dinner instead of steak at a restaurant"

The reality for me is I'm not stopping at all. 55 gallons of 87 lasts me 4 days of running around.

People say memories with your kids and family are priceless.. This is the price.
Absolutley !

We pack sandwiches on the boat not because they cost less but becasue they are way better than crap you buy and toss in the cooler. The money savings is a nice benefit. last trip out we went out to dinner and waited 1 hour to sit doen then 25 min more for a cold Disneyland quality burger and spent a good chunk of cash for 6 people. The second night was at the house with BBQ chicken and kicking it around the jacuzzi. Way more enjoyable and way less money.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
the problem i have with this is only a few years ago when fuel was $3 or less......nobody was complaining about refining space or capablities.

kinda like the ports......pre covid the economy was booming and unloading ships wasn't a problem. yet all of a sudden it a huge problem.

as inflation keeps going and fuel prices keep climbing, people will have less disposable income.....you would think this would effect fuel demand having the opposite effect on prices.

yet in the world we live in where everything is ass backwards nowadays, nothing will surprise me anymore.
Exactly this. Everything going on right with the ports & petroleum sector feels like such a manufactured crisis .

Last edited:

bocco

Reaction score
Haven't spent as much time on the water for the last two summers. Just get busy sometimes plus the lack of water in CA. I guess the gas prices help me to feel OK with that.

oldschool

Reaction score
Can’t put a price on a good time. Well, you can but it will just piss you off.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So much for you assholes talking shit on people sitting in the channel all day 😁

How many gallons does it take to start up at the Marina, idle over to the channel, sit all day, and idle back to the Marina?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Fortunately both my rigs have pee-shooters that get really good mileage.
But inversely I don't make or have a lot of $$$.
Honestly, if it gets over $10, I'll have to budget a bit wiser and friends will have to pitch in if they wanna tag along. Just the way it is.
I'm tightening up already . . .next months river run, I'll be crashing in my truck . . . can't see spending $250 to sleep in a hotel from midnight only to split at 6:00 am.
I'll sweat balls to save $250 fuck it.
I can see you now.……

B31FCDBF-8333-4F82-8896-79BAD73187FF.jpeg

MeCasa16

Reaction score
You guys just need a better strategy. Start upriver and use the motor sparingly.. than you just call towboat US and take advantage of my $75 membership to let them tow me back up river. Don’t even have to worry about who is going to drive back. 🤣

76sanger

Reaction score
I laugh at everyone that says it wont slow me down at all. I call BS. If fuel prices hit that, your not going as much or often. By the time the prices trickle down to every aspect of life, and everything is 10,15,20% higher, maybe even more than that. You will slow down from doing these trips as much.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I laugh at everyone that says it wont slow me down at all. I call BS. If fuel prices hit that, your not going as much or often. By the time the prices trickle down to every aspect of life, and everything is 10,15,20% higher, maybe even more than that. You will slow down from doing these trips as much.

Gas is still the cheapest part of the deal.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
You guys just need a better strategy. Start upriver and use the motor sparingly.. than you just call towboat US and take advantage of my $75 membership to let them tow me back up river. Don’t even have to worry about who is going to drive back. 🤣

I think you mean "strategery".

Singleton

Reaction score
Gas is still the cheapest part of the deal.
Not always
My trailer sitting at the Islander (w/power) is only $250 more then storage in Carlsbad. If my trailer was home, my wife would be planning trips burning diesel at 8mpg.
Food and beverage eating at home vs grilling at Islander is about the same.

farmo83

Reaction score

Like many things in like you don't actually need it until you need it.

The long term outlook for refining is horrible as it will be phased out for EV's. As such no one is willing to spend much money on them.

Phillips 66 had a large refinery near where hurricane laura came ashore, it sustained heavy damage and due to the depressed long term economics they just decided to idle the refinery, it's just sitting there not fixed as no one will buy it.

There was an explosion at a refinery in Philly in 2019 which led to it being closed due to environmental issues.

Houston Refining is scheduling the closure of one of it's refinery in 2023.

Couple Russia being taken off the market, we just don't have the capacity to support demand here, and in europe with what little refining we have left.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
its not the price of putting gas in the boat itself that will detrmine it, its the costs of everything else in your life that will go up because of gas prices. that will determine if you fill the boat up, or buy groceries..
Your biggest expense is your mortgage and it’s fixed at 3%. It’s really just gas and food that you buy every week. Like someone said time to start buying hotdogs and bbq beans. Natural light is how much a 12 pak? Shit they have beer on sale for the holiday weekend coming up I’ll have to shop it. The college kids can buy their own trulys this year

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
You got to also factor in that I have been boating this year more than ever before in my 50+ years. I have been out 3 times on the boat we bought a month ago. So in my mind I have increased the amount of boating I have been doing before. The only problem is that I am not longer mooching off of friends. LOL. At least I don’t have to cover their food and drinks any longer. LOL

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I worked too hard to retire early to let the economy determine how I spend my time. I am fortunate to have zero debt and can afford the added expensese that inflation has brought. I physically can no longer ski four times a day, my boat burns 7 gallons a day, and Fox's is a couple hundred yards from my mooring. See you on the water!

Hammer

Reaction score
The day we launch the boat and float because of fuel prices is the day we put our float(s) up for sale. The boat is for burning gas without a care in the world.

I'm definitely staying financially conscious on my spending at home now. I was a lot more casual in the past. Last few weeks I burned through 3-500 bucks and it wasn't on anything important. Cost of living is definitely up and will impact my bottom line month to month.

I guess the wife is gonna have to cook at home 7 days a week and start a vegetable garden so daddy can blow money on vacations. Lol

Last edited:

outboard_256

Reaction score

Right now I don't go out as much as I want to and money isn't the issue. Its getting time off to go. No way I am going to miss one of the few boating trips I do because the gas bill is a few hundred dollars more.

Icky

Reaction score
I was thinking of this when I sold my boat. I'm going to be a boat bitch for the summer on my father in laws 28 party cat, but my father in laws Teague 8something is like 3 times the fuel consumption than my 454 mpi was.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
What’s av gas cost in Parker?
I paid 5.93 at Parker Oil in Havasu last weekend, only a buck more than last year. I went through 60 gallons last weekend so $60 more than a year ago. About $60 more in fuel to go from Phoenix-Havasu-Phoenix. Coors Light about normal pricing. $10 bucks a gallon would hurt pretty bad, at that price $1000 for a weekend trip in just fuel would make me miss a few trips.

77charger

Reaction score
Won’t stop me just won’t do havasu or powell. Been going to both for years anyway. Just stick local and do pleasant.

TOOLEY

Reaction score
I paid 5.93 at Parker Oil in Havasu last weekend, only a buck more than last year. I went through 60 gallons last weekend so $60 more than a year ago. About $60 more in fuel to go from Phoenix-Havasu-Phoenix. Coors Light about normal pricing. $10 bucks a gallon would hurt pretty bad, at that price $1000 for a weekend trip in just fuel would make me miss a few trips.
Hell that’s not much more the premium rite now.