WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How is you business doing during the shut down? How do you see a recovery

boatpi

Reaction score
We operate a aluminum patio cover distribution business in Las Vegas. www.4kaluminum.com

We are exempt as we are a distributor, secondly related to construction, and that is going well in Nevada.

Our contractors are telling us they are still getting calls, but it has slowed down about 50%. This time of year they are booking 1 month out. No one has canceled building patio covers, it will get hot very soon. So many new houses being built, and other homes needing shade, it may effect us for 30-60 days at the most. We sell to CA too, those A holes shut down this business installs.

Om the other side I have rentals, one is leaving, lost job forever, nice guy too. I have a corporate huge house monthly rental. March and April are ZIP, loss of income is 15-20G, so far. We are good, very diversified,

Our CA import aluminum business (smart wife) may be down 10-20% this year at the most, it was up 30% each year , two years in a row. It does 3 mil+ a year in sales.

MY PI business is largely in the rental car industry, it is in the tank X2.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
We own a small hardware store in a small community and sales are about even with last year which is good considering what others are going through. So far so good but this thing isn't over with yet.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
In the enterprise computer business, we're killing it. Our customers are buying ahead of schedule to ensure their supply doesn't run out. Q4 will be the question, hard to have visibility of supply chain that far out. Employees all working from home 110% effective, testing labs are all automated.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Non-existent.. But, having said that..as soon as the military bases open up ill be absolutely slammed... Supposed to happen may 11th. We'll see...

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
It's easy to be negative in response to your question as it's hard to see a silver lining to the black cloud that is this unprecedented global pandemic especially with all the uncertainty we are still facing (shut down thru April for the most part).

There's a "new normal" coming as this changing everything going forward. Nothing will be left untouched by this

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have my day job, building street rods and shit...

And my side job building websites and shit....

Day job will be fine. I have work sitting there and work lined up. Just waiting for this thing to die down.

My side job is busier than ever. And I'm getting even better at it, with this time to learn lots of new stuff.

I may just go back to work 4 days a week after this. I'm enjoying the web site stuff a whole lot.

:)

thetub

Reaction score
i know Trumps gonna push for a huge infrastructure bill to get construction going...

with rates at zero percent ...

maybe some peeps can get work from that

hallett21

Reaction score
Business is running at 75% compared to January which I’m grateful for.

I can always throw the bags on and change light bulbs to make ends meet if need be. My wife being an NP will be slammed for a while.

I’m really nervous that we will see another 2008 if we just start printing money with no end in sight.

This just feels like another nail in the middle class coffin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
Dairy Buisness, and farm. In December and early Jan. CME milk futures were $19-19.50 cwt average for 2020. (cwt=per hundred weight) Right now April milk is trading at $14.05 down 22 cents from yesterday, May is $12.23 down 63 cents from yesterday. You can see the trend. I have hedge positions for the rest of the year, mostly at or around break even which is something we do in the event of a huge down turn in price- like now. Feed prices are and will be getting cheaper, corn is getting close to breaking a 10 yr low, however proteins remain pretty resilient. The used cow market (beef) is also in a weird place with demand high, consumer prices up but producer prices very soft. We are getting hosed by the packers essentially.
I'll briefly touch on the "milk dumping" stories you may see right now. You may have or possibly will see a news or social post about milk being dumped when consumers are still being limited by purchase restrictions. Notice your milk gallon price has probably not changed. Milk is a quickly perishable product, especially in raw form. Retailers put in orders for milk usually 3-4 weeks before that actual product would hit the shelf. When there is panic buying and consumers run through a retailers purchase of milk for a week in a day or two, there will be a 2-3 week hangover before store inventories stabilize. Then figure in school lunches, one of the larger consumers of fluid milk. It's in pints and the processing and distribution are completely different than retail. Much of that is stagnate at the moment, and a single serve processor can not change over to gallon or other size very quickly, at all. Some other cheese, yogurt and powder processors are having a hard time keeping staff, causing them to cut production output, limiting milk input. There is also the abrupt stop in almost all export product since seemingly every country is on lock down. The US exports 13-20% of our production. With almost all of that product staying home there is even more glut causing markets to fall.
I see the export correcting first and other countries are ahead of us with C-19. School milk will resume and correct starting in August/September. Beginning in June we get the Ice cream bump, that should be a little better and possibly a little sooner with kids home from school. The Feds (USDA) is considering a product purchase-distribution to food banks that will help as soon as it happens for all involved.
Gotta go back to pulling tits now lol

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
They shut us down , waiting on a few deliveries mon/ tues then get travel papers for my foreman and I , I heard we are going to Valencia until this blows over .

450grip

Reaction score
Completely shut down my industry.
I’m spending my savings, and at the rate I’m going, it’s going to be interesting if this isn’t over by 6/1/20.
I am a W-2 employee and a 1099 sole proprietor. Zero income from either of those for the foreseeable future.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I’m spending my savings, and at the rate I’m going, it’s going to be interesting if this isn’t over by 6/1/20.
I am a W-2 employee and a 1099 sole proprietor. Zero income from either of those for the foreseeable future.
No good, I'm sorry to hear this. Mind if I ask what you do for a living?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Look into the SBA $10k loan/grant c
If you’re 1099 I bet you qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
We remodel, build and remediate water damage and mold. The past two weeks the phones have slowed way down. We are tightly intertwined with the real estate industry. We are busy for now, but I did put two guys on hiatus yesterday. I think we're good for a month or so if nothing comes in. But shit always comes in.

We have decades of experience rehabbing foreclosures, so if those do come back it is a good thing for us.

I do have the ace in the hole. We have a couple new buildings in the planning stages to put up on some land we own, so that may be what we end up working on if shit dies completely. Of course that depends on getting plans through the city....which is way slow....and financing...which may be slow and conservative.

I have to admit I am a bit nervous.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Dairy Buisness, and farm. In December and early Jan. CME milk futures were $19-19.50 cwt average for 2020. (cwt=per hundred weight) Right now April milk is trading at $14.05 down 22 cents from yesterday, May is $12.23 down 63 cents from yesterday. You can see the trend. I have hedge positions for the rest of the year, mostly at or around break even which is something we do in the event of a huge down turn in price- like now. Feed prices are and will be getting cheaper, corn is getting close to breaking a 10 yr low, however proteins remain pretty resilient. The used cow market (beef) is also in a weird place with demand high, consumer prices up but producer prices very soft. We are getting hosed by the packers essentially.
I'll briefly touch on the "milk dumping" stories you may see right now. You may have or possibly will see a news or social post about milk being dumped when consumers are still being limited by purchase restrictions. Notice your milk gallon price has probably not changed. Milk is a quickly perishable product, especially in raw form. Retailers put in orders for milk usually 3-4 weeks before that actual product would hit the shelf. When there is panic buying and consumers run through a retailers purchase of milk for a week in a day or two, there will be a 2-3 week hangover before store inventories stabilize. Then figure in school lunches, one of the larger consumers of fluid milk. It's in pints and the processing and distribution are completely different than retail. Much of that is stagnate at the moment, and a single serve processor can not change over to gallon or other size very quickly, at all. Some other cheese, yogurt and powder processors are having a hard time keeping staff, causing them to cut production output, limiting milk input. There is also the abrupt stop in almost all export product since seemingly every country is on lock down. The US exports 13-20% of our production. With almost all of that product staying home there is even more glut causing markets to fall.
I see the export correcting first and other countries are ahead of us with C-19. School milk will resume and correct starting in August/September. Beginning in June we get the Ice cream bump, that should be a little better and possibly a little sooner with kids home from school. The Feds (USDA) is considering a product purchase-distribution to food banks that will help as soon as it happens for all involved.
Gotta go back to pulling tits now lol

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Dairy farmer Jason Leedle felt his stomach churn when he got the call on Tuesday evening.

"We need you to start dumping your milk," said his contact from Dairy Farmers of America (DFA), the largest U.S. dairy cooperative.

Despite strong demand for basic foods like dairy products amid the coronavirus pandemic, the milk supply chain has seen a host of disruptions that are preventing dairy farmers from getting their products to market.

Mass closures of restaurants and schools have forced a sudden shift from those wholesale food-service markets to retail grocery stores, creating logistical and packaging nightmares for plants processing milk, butter and cheese. Trucking companies that haul dairy products are scrambling to get enough drivers as some who fear the virus have stopped working. And sales to major dairy export markets have dried up as the food-service sector largely shuts down globally.

The dairy industry's woes signal broader problems in the global food supply chain, according to farmers, agricultural economists and food distributors. The dairy business got hit harder and earlier than other agricultural commodities because the products are highly perishable - milk can't be frozen, like meat, or stuck in a silo, like grain.

Other food sectors, however, are also seeing disruptions worldwide as travel restrictions are limiting the workforce needed to plant, harvest and distribute fruits and vegetables, and a shortage of refrigerated containers and truck drivers have slowed the shipment of staples such as meat and grains in some places.

Leedle could likely sell his milk if he could get it to market. Dairy products in grocery stores have been in high demand as consumers stay home during the pandemic, though panic buying may be slowing. Earlier this week, a local market told Leedle's wife she could buy only two dairy products total per shopping trip as retailers nationwide ration many high-demand products.

"It's just gut-wrenching," said Leedle, 36, as he stood inside his barn, with cows lowing softly as the animals were giving milk that would be funneled directly into a manure pit. "All I can see is that line going down the drain."

Leedle has dumped 4,700 gallons of milk from his 480 cows each day since Tuesday. The 7,500-member DFA told Reuters it has asked some other farmers in the cooperative to do the same but did not say how many.

Dairy cooperatives oversee milk marketing for all of their members and handle shipping logistics. Leedle said he will be paid for the milk he and other farmers are dumping, but the payments for all cooperative members will take a hit from the lost revenues.

Land O’Lakes Inc., another cooperative, has also warned its members they may have to dump milk. Another cooperative, Wisconsin-based Foremost Farms USA, was even more grim.

"Now is the time to consider a little extra culling of your herds," the cooperative said in a March 17 letter to members. "We believe the ability to pick up and process your milk could be compromised."

The cooperative, which also owns butter and cheese processing plants, said milk-dumping might also be on the horizon.

The dumping comes even as consumer demand for dairy has soared. Panic buying has left grocery store shelves nearly empty in recent weeks amid business shutdowns and quarantines nationwide. Retail purchases of milk rose nearly 53% for the week ended March 21, while butter sales surged more than 127% and cheese rose more than 84%, compared to the same period a year earlier, according to Nielsen data.

Grocers have been charging consumers more, too. The average retail price of cow's milk was up 11.2% for the week ended March 21, compared to a year earlier, the Nielsen data shows.

RESTAURANT CLOSURES DISRUPT SUPPLY CHAINS

Finding enough truck drivers is part of the challenge. Agriculture groups have lobbied states to increase truck weight limits on highways to enable more food to be delivered.

Dean Foods Co, which has been starting some plant shifts earlier and running later, is offering $1,000 sign-on bonuses for drivers with dairy experience as it struggles to fill 74 open positions, a company spokeswoman said.

Another major problem: The sudden shift in demand from restaurants - now closing en masse - to grocery stores creates severe logistical challenges. Suppliers struggle to make the shift from wholesale packaging for restaurants to preparing retail products for stores.

450grip

Reaction score
No good, I'm sorry to hear this. Mind if I ask what you do for a living?
No, I don’t mind at all.
I am a rigging key grip on a TV show.
I’ve been in the business 25years. Shows get cancelled, writers go on strike, actor hissy fits, etc, I’ve never seen anything like this.
I also own a tremendous amount of truss/chain motors/rigging equipment that I rent to production companies, and it’s all parked, collecting dust.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I'm in Home construction, and so far it hasn't effected us much. We have 30 homes under construction currently, and another 17 slated to start between now and October. Job site has been pretty much business as usual with the exception of some trade and vendor slowdowns, which I'm anticipating to get worse before it gets better.

Keeping our fingers crossed...

traquer

Reaction score
Doing very well with the business at present. I run an SEO and internet marketing agency and my client list is extremely diverse.

I've always been envious of agencies that dominated specific industries and turned away everyone else since they were a lot more streamlined and had less headaches, but now I'm very thankful I'm not in that boat!

So for me, the bad news is: my lawyer clients cut us back 75% (courts are closed etc.), airline client obviously not doing so hot but still paying our invoices. One of the largest printing companies in NY is our account and down big time but still doing medical and other printing for key industries.

The good news: I have a US-based work-from-home contact center client that's absolutely killing it. With physical call centers being shut down in the US and throughout the world, their stay-at-home moms and college grads are taking everyone's lunch. There's a bit of lead time for a new client but most customer service questions are simple. Career coaching client is also poised to do well. My cell phone repair client should be ok since they do a lot of warranty work.

Praying for everyone here that's been negatively effected. This is a once in a lifetime deal, so if you've always had a crazy idea you wanted to do or see some exploitable opportunity in your industry, don't be scared just go for it. Even if you seem like a small fish. Big companies are like ships that take miles to change course, if you're a small shop or solo guy with some cash on hand, now is the time to make calculated risks

boatpi

Reaction score
Wow, some really diverse reviews. RE will do well here in NV, it is still fairly low with good property tax rates, and big corporate is still moving in, like Google and Amazon. Thousands of new jobs, plus Raiders and all the spin offs.

We in Vegas believe the HUGE kick start will be the cancellation of the NBA season and immediately into the finals in Las Vegas. They are already making deals with T Mobile Center and Thomas and Mack, practice would be done at high schools.

EDC is postponed, re set for October 2-3. Both could bring close to 1 Billion $$$.

Not to mention the continual draw of NO personal or corporate income taxes.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
my job is partly field and partly desk. The desk portion just moved home. The field portion is dormant for the moment.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I think recovery will take a while. Some will be really hard hit and their businesses may never recover.

Imagine restaurant owners. Clothing retailers. Many have zero income. Even once they open clientele will be slow coming back. Food inventory probably wasted, unless it could be frozen. Its gonna be hard.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
We build lithium ion batteries for forklift ect. We are booming. Biggest quarter to date and this quarter has a a 35% jump in sales.

not to hijack, but you guys do any lithium’s for golf carts?

broncomatt

Reaction score
I run an auto repair franchise business... I actually just started it on March 9th.. the first 3 days of business were awesome... then by Thursday you could really see a change happening... the second week of business we did ok because we had a back log of cars in the shop... but the last 2 weeks we are basically down 99%.... I have adjusted my staff's hours down for the next 2 weeks and am praying we get that payroll loan... otherwise I will have to temporarily shut down operations to make sure I have enough capital to re-open once things start opening up...

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Thank you for your service. :D

LOL. We received an email from our insurance carrier telling us to not fill out any applications for our clients. Thank God because I have some lazy clients that don't like to do shit and this is all un-billable hours for me right now so I just forwarded them the email :D

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Especially if you're doing attest work for them and then you're acting as an agent. ADP and Paychex as well as some of the PEOs know what to do at this point and are getting us what we need in a timely fashion.

Joker

Reaction score
I run an auto repair franchise business... I actually just started it on March 9th.. the first 3 days of business were awesome... then by Thursday you could really see a change happening... the second week of business we did ok because we had a back log of cars in the shop... but the last 2 weeks we are basically down 99%.... I have adjusted my staff's hours down for the next 2 weeks and am praying we get that payroll loan... otherwise I will have to temporarily shut down operations to make sure I have enough capital to re-open once things start opening up...

Where's your shop?

KevinR

Reaction score
My partners and I manage 3 private investment funds that take a 1st position in trust deeds for real estate properties. We make bridge/hard money loans (24-36 months) on SFR, commercial, and industrial properties. Average loan is $2.3M. It’s too early to see what our borrowers will do with regard to making their interest only payments over the next 60-90 days, but a few days into April the numbers are good.

Going forward, we have had to freeze our funds and not take in any new investment $$$. Our overall LTV on the portfolio is about 62%, and while that’s pretty conservative, we have no idea what the value of our collateral truly is, and won’t for some time. Of our 115 loans about 90% are in California, mostly SoCal at that.

To combat this hiatus and uncertainty, we have begun the start of a new fund that we can raise $$$ for and begin to make new loans with a super conservative underwriting process, probably 35-50% LTV on quality properties. Our investors have given us strong response so we are trying to get the new fund opened up ASAP. However with all the legal work and licensing required for a SEC compliant investment fund launch, it will still be mid May to get it off the ground.

Soooooo...very sorry to hear from you all that have taken a direct shot to the gut with this shut down. Truly sorry. For our business we will see what the coming weeks bring. Scrambling for sure, just don’t know how much.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
HELP !

Already spoke with the bank and they are working on this .
March was a good month
But this April could be tuff
We are still working on the old orders .
The phones been quite.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
LOL. We received an email from our insurance carrier telling us to not fill out any applications for our clients. Thank God because I have some lazy clients that don't like to do shit and this is all un-billable hours for me right now so I just forwarded them the email :D

I've been running around like crazy the past few days getting stuff for my clients that they already have but are too lazy to get. Our biggest issue with taxes has been people not bringing their stuff in since they now have a few extra months to procrastinate.

Employees don't want to show up too :rolleyes:

76sanger

Reaction score
It's easy to be negative in response to your question as it's hard to see a silver lining to the black cloud that is this unprecedented global pandemic especially with all the uncertainty we are still facing (shut down thru April for the most part).

There's a "new normal" coming as this changing everything going forward. Nothing will be left untouched by this
What the hell, a "new normal" quite watching

76sanger

Reaction score
What the hell, a "new normal" quite watching
Fake news. Everything is going to be just fine if you get most of the Democrat governors to step the heck out the way and let people do what people do. We can rebuild the economy so fast it would make your head spin.

manxman

Reaction score
Plastic and fiberglass industry have been pretty good the last few weeks. I see some major shortages of materials coming fast though. I have bid on more work in the last week than the first few months. Everyone wants sneeze guards and such. Been making intebation boxes for several hospitals and quoted on thousands of face shields. Also quoted on clear guards for Costco, smart and final, target, ect. We will see what becomes of this, but so far, we are surviving!

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I do Fire, Water, and mold restoration. Very busy, just hired 2 new guys. I have 2 large fire jobs right now , demo down to the framing on both.
Hope you had better luck than me hiring. Bullheads finest walked off the job halfway into day 2 . Said too boring just wiping down office fixtures at $14 an hour.

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Where is your shop?

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Not sure what to think since I haven't had a paycheck since November after leaving a career in Product Management. Needed time to focus on growing a Design & Fab shop which was created to help incubate the mobile bar business. It's been a year long project that is wrapping up this month...great timing :rolleyes:

Literally the core of the mobile bar model is large group gatherings so it's dead in the water. We've been having war-room style meetings for the last three weeks and the consensus is....reallocate funds and throttle through it! We see a recovery and I think it'll be a renaissance.

Worse case scenario is that I end up with a really really expensive rolling bar in the backyard 🍻🥃

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
We have hit the wall. All of our pre CV work is wrapping up and phones are dead. Nothing I’m the books for installs or service next week. Weather is too nice and people are worried about paying bills so heating and air is not a priority in So cal.

We will see what the upcoming weeks hold.