WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How long until algorithms control our tv commercials?

Fenderbender

Reaction score
I was just sitting back watching some supercross and I was thinking about how I wouldn’t buy anything they are selling on the commercials. On the other hand when I stream it on my laptop or something the ads that come up on the top or on the side bar are a direct response to my search history etc.

I’m just wondering if when we are streaming content on the apps on smart TVs are the ads user specific ? If they aren’t I bet they will be soon. As soon as google or whatever browser you use sells your data to your cable provider right?

I know it’s not boats and or GME but just thought I would see what you guys had for me on that [emoji1690]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
It’s called “addressable TV” and it’s been a thing for quite some time [emoji106]

Even with cable boxes, the commercials you see might be different from what your neighbor sees.

Basically anything with a two-way connection is spying on your habits, so advertisers can peddle products to you.

The only way around it is one-way tech like an OTA antenna, where the signal goes to you but you don’t upload anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I avoid commercials at all costs. Way back when I had a Tivo box I owned on direct TV

Now I just pay thru the nose for DVR's to Spectrum.

Football game starts at noon? Record it, sit down at 1 and start watching, fast forward thru commercials.

I mean, how many drug or car insurance commercials can you take in one day?

Fenderbender

Reaction score
wow I didn't know they did that with cable. I guess they think I need all kinds of shit I don't! lol

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
"Hey Hamlin, Nice PJ's."
You'd think Domino's would cut back on the ads and improve their product with that money instead.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
youtubetv. targeted ads for sure.