WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How many hours to break in a freshly rebuilt 350?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
1987 era Chevy 350 .030 over. Flat tappet cam a touch more aggressive than your typical Rv cam.

I will run the start up 20 minutes at 2500 rpm but I need to know the lake time under 3500 with variable speed and on the break in oil with zinc.

C53CC7A9-F6F1-407A-8AD4-9B3BDB73CB45.jpeg

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
1987 era Chevy 350 .030 over. Flat tappet cam a touch more aggressive than your typical Rv cam.

I will run the start up 20 minutes at 2500 rpm but I need to know the lake time under 3500 with variable speed and on the break in oil with zinc.

View attachment 1005333
Your going to get a lot of different options on this one but here’s my two cents.
After your initial break in for the cam change your filter and top it off. You should make several hard acceleration runs right off the bat then do a couple hours of cruising, staying under 4000 and frequently varying your speed. After that you are good to go.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I'd put ten "easy hours" on it monitoring all functions and varying speeds (RPMs) , then thoroughly drain out the breakin oil and additives , go back with good oil (no cheap stuff) and a Wix or KN filter , also would dump in a tube of Lucas breakin additive at that first oil change for good measure

* driving it like a "rented mule" is just stupid

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'd put ten "easy hours" on it monitoring all functions and varying speeds (RPMs) , then thoroughly drain out the breakin oil and additives , go back with good oil (no cheap stuff) and a Wix or KN filter , also would dump in a tube of Lucas breakin additive at that first oil change for good measure

Do you run zinc additives at all on "modern" motors? Been doing that with flat tappet motors, and the flathead Fords get the lifter valley flooded with Lucas just before the intake goes on (piss-poor design, very limited oiling). Seems to help lifter life because startup is rough on them.

"Rented Mule"...I like that!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Do you run zinc additives at all on "modern" motors? Been doing that with flat tappet motors, and the flathead Fords get the lifter valley flooded with Lucas just before the intake goes on (piss-poor design, very limited oiling). Seems to help lifter life because startup is rough on them.

"Rented Mule"...I like that!

Always add zinc on a flat tappet engine.

Unless it has one of those converter things in the exhaust...

:p

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

Been doing it that way since the 70's. I used Baldwin filters.

azsunfun

Reaction score
10 hours minimum starting low rpms increasing 500 every hour, worth the day

guest hs

Reaction score
Easy first ten hours change the oil use a zinc additive run it up to 3/4 throttle till 20 hours then have at it. Change oil again at 50 hours

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Sounds good... so I should have it broken in by 2024 .. since I would be lucky to do 10 hours in a season on this trailer ratrod.

All kidding aside...

Talk to your engine builder. Other than the cam break in, the engine break in is all about seating the rings. He's the only one that can tell you what needs to be done.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
After cam break in, I'd follow the instructions based upon the rings used and the builders specifications.

If It was mine, break in cam, seat the rings, after a few hours of varying speeds and loads run it like I stole it.

It's my personal belief that engines like to run, hold one down they become turds after too long.

Build tolerances and materials/gaskets, machining and technology are so much better than they ever were in the past, if everything is right, there is no real difference to the motor once the cam is broken in and the rings are seated. Run it hard as you want after that, the only thing that would fuck it up would be something unknown like a oil pump failure etc IMO.

I will say that there is a very large difference between something I built, vs a standard machine shop refresh. I chamfer all the combustion chamber edges, oil returns, paint the valley etc, I have seen heads returned from other shops/lesser machine shops with literal burs and knife edges hanging into the combustion chambers, obvious uneven valve seats and stem heights.....:oops:

YMMV.

77charger

Reaction score
I’d do it the way I’ve done every engine. Run it 1500-2000 rpm to break in cam. Do any final adjustments timing idle etc run it varying rpm to seat rings for an hour or so.
Change oil go from there run it varying to 3/4 for another hour then let it rip

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
After cam break in, I'd follow the instructions based upon the rings used and the builders specifications.

If It was mine, break in cam, seat the rings, after a few hours of varying speeds and loads run it like I stole it.

It's my personal belief that engines like to run, hold one down they become turds after too long.

Build tolerances and materials/gaskets, machining and technology are so much better than they ever were in the past, if everything is right, there is no real difference to the motor once the cam is broken in and the rings are seated. Run it hard as you want after that, the only thing that would fuck it up would be something unknown like a oil pump failure etc IMO.

I will say that there is a very large difference between something I built, vs a standard machine shop refresh. I chamfer all the combustion chamber edges, oil returns, paint the valley etc, I have seen heads returned from other shops/lesser machine shops with literal burs and knife edges hanging into the combustion chambers, obvious uneven valve seats and stem heights.....:oops:

YMMV.
Agreed. If it's a quality rebuild the only thing that you're really trying to do is establish a wear pattern on the cam and get the rings to seat. It's important to build substantial cylinder pressure early on to force the rings into the cylinder walls otherwise they will get a less than ideal running pattern and once that is done they will never get better. That's why I say you need to do several hard full load pulls right out of the gate.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Sounds good... so I should have it broken in by 2024 .. since I would be lucky to do 10 hours in a season on this trailer ratrod.

And before you hammer it as some have suggested...

Make SURE your tune is spot on. A tad rich is ok. A tad lean, and you'll be doing another rebuild in short order.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Break it in like you would use it. We run stuff on the Dyno for 20-25 mins. Then let make a few mid range rpm pulls to check AFR, check lash, change break in oil. Then let it rip full tilt boogie. Current ring technology is literally broken in as you drop the pistons into the bores. Flat tappet cams like rpm to break in. Don’t idle them. Nothing below 2500 rpm for first 20 mins. Roller stuff nobody cares.

HotRod82

Reaction score
Agreed. If it's a quality rebuild the only thing that you're really trying to do is establish a wear pattern on the cam and get the rings to seat. It's important to build substantial cylinder pressure early on to force the rings into the cylinder walls otherwise they will get a less than ideal running pattern and once that is done they will never get better. That's why I say you need to do several hard full load pulls right out of the gate.

Thanks for posting this up. In my experience, running a new motor too easily for ten hours is a good way to end up with an oil burner because the rings won't seat properly. Personally, I also change the oil after one hour, then again after an additional 2 hours. I like to cut open the oil filters and have a look. You'd be amazed at the crap in the filter....

I know lots of different opinions on this for sure......hey maybe we should debate what brand of oil is the best!

jones performance

Reaction score
flat tappet cams, i run em in for 20-30 minutes minimum at 2500 rpm then change oil filter, verify tune, adjust valves if needed and then full send.

roller cams i run em at varying elevated rpms for a heat cycle to make sure everthing is getting lubrication, check tune, adjust valves if needed (solid cam), etc then full send.