WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How many pilots?

copterzach

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of talk about airshows and aviation lately on RDP. So who all flies? Fun or job? What does everyone fly? How often do you fly? Total time? Yearly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I logged about 9 hours of training 15 years ago in a 152. I quit after realizing that I'd likely never be able to afford a plane so it would be pointless to have a pilots license.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
aviation nerd, always dreamed of flying rotary in the military for 20 years, get my retirement and fly tours in Hawaii in the summer and heliskiing in alaska in the winter. Colorblindness booted me out of that program, unfortunately.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I've been an aviation fan since I worked at Boeing in the late 80's on 737, 757 in Renton, WA.
I've worked on several unmanned platforms also. GlobalHawk, Predator, Avenger, Reaper, Grey Eagle.
I also did some wing to body fillets on a foot launch-able sail plane called LightHawk.

25413621_bf6a984d20_b.jpg

My current employer has some King Airs that we get shuttled around on between facilities.
I always thought about getting my pilots license, but never followed through.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
The better half and I are both 737 pilots for the little airline with the Eskimo on the tail. I’ve been flying for 23 years now and have over 13000 hours...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I have been a pilot for 50 years now. I own and fly a C-55 Baron and have about 4,000+ hours. ASMEL,Inst, & A&P.
Just fly for my own recreation and transportation. (I guess that means that I buy all the AV-Gas!)
Baron.JPG

Baron (2).JPG

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Recreation only... Been at it for almost 30 years. Just joined a club that has a nice 172 and Warrior, so nothing exotic.

I've collected fixed wing ratings through multi-engine commercial, never got my CFI.

I do have a set of plans for a "Lil' Bitts" Biplane, a standoff scale of a Pitts S1C that I might start bending sheet metal on this winter.

Kenny D

Reaction score
I got my license when I was young and would fly my Piper Archer to the old airport on the island in Havasu.I got married and had kids and quit flying.We moved to Florida and I got the bug again to fly,I got current last year and recently bought a plane.I bought a Piper Mirage.
IMG_1310.JPG

Last edited:

Flippindough

Reaction score
Went to flight school right after high school, obtained my private and instrument rating. Was planning the commercial airline route until I came across a new g550 sitting in the hangar. I asked my flight instructor how long it take me to afford to buy a G550 he laughed and said " never ". I quit flying that day. Still don't own a Gulfstream.... Yet

Kenny D

Reaction score
This August was 20 years. Currently have 17,500ish hours. All R22 and R44 time. Have my endorsement for R66. Gonna hit a little over 900 hours this year.

Wow...alot of time in the air!!

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Recreation only... Been at it for almost 30 years. Just joined a club that has a nice 172 and Warrior, so nothing exotic.

I've collected fixed wing ratings through multi-engine commercial, never got my CFI.

I do have a set of plans for a "Lil' Bitts" Biplane, a standoff scale of a Pitts S1C that I might start bending sheet metal on this winter.

I built a Pitts S1S from plans, it took about 5 years. Started in 1969 and flew it in 1974, Sold it in 1986.
I had a friend that bought an already completed Lil Bitts Biplane. It was really small, but cute.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
I’ve been flying for 35 years. Started in High School taking flying lessons. Worked my way through all the licenses and ratings. Flight instructor, Regional Airline flying and flying for a Major Airline as my current employer the last 20 years. DC9, A320, B757,767 and B737 currently...

I’ve broken all the rules of the 3 F’s and still haven’t learned my lesson.

“If it Fly’s, Floats or Fucks, rent it!”

Last edited:

D19

Reaction score
I am currently learning in a Cherokee 235.

copterzach

Reaction score
I have 10.2 hours of fixed wing time. I needed 10 hours of instrument training for my commercial ticket. So i flew around under the hood for 10.2 hours.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
I am another "wish I had done it" guy, I should have done it right out of high school when it was more affordable, and maybe made a career out of it, I have always loved flying, and wish I could do it regularly. now I am divorced, 4 kids deep, and almost too old to consider it. but I fly the shit outta my RC ariplanes lol!

D19

Reaction score
Anyone here with a seaplane rating land on the Colorado river?

seanroberts

Reaction score
I've got my commercial single, multi, instrument & CFi & CFII single, multi and instrument. Was going to make it full time but doesn't pay enough. I'm over 3000 hrs with about 1700hrs turbine. I love the tail drager.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
I've got my commercial single, multi, instrument & CFi & CFII single, multi and instrument. Was going to make it full time but doesn't pay enough. I'm over 3000 hrs with about 1700hrs turbine. I love the tail drager.

Get your app in!! We are hiring 800+/yr for the next ten years as guys are retiring in big numbers as they reach age 65 mandatory retirement. [emoji106][emoji2532]

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Anyone here done Ultralights? I think it would be a lot of fun to fly a Paramotor around the lake.

rrrr

Reaction score
I had to surrender my medical because of the meds I take. Just another effect of having fucked up knees.

Finished with a few thousand hours ASEL.

Mhemperly

Reaction score
E4EFFD49-3FAB-4DAD-8093-1D2152F6C94D.jpeg
9706A909-36E2-42FC-BEC9-39683058F6D4.jpeg
D246A0A8-2C42-481F-BF18-15F243A951D5.jpeg
867B7BCE-A880-4A4A-8ED5-2E66DADC699A.jpeg
Grew up flying around with my dad and grandfather in his Piper Saratoga and Comanche to and from the river.

I’m a commercial pilot, ASEL, AMEL with an instrument rating. My wife and I owned Mooney for about 4 years. I’ve flown 152,172, pa-32,pa-28, G36 and the likes. I’ve got 550 hours TT.

Aviation is my first love and the river falls in there with that just from the trips in the plane to the lake as a kid.

I currently operate heavy equipment for a living and I am trying to make the career change to flying full time right now. Ive learned that networking is key...as I want to stay on the corporate side.

Just flew a pa-32 to Nebraska this past weekend VFR. It was a blast! I fly about a 100hrs a year

Mike

96scarab

Reaction score
I'm a A&P mechanic going on 25 years. It's kind of strange I'm not even into airplanes. I work on them all day so I don't really want to see them on my days off..LOL I live in Milwaukee and have never been to the Oshkosh air show.

rrrr

Reaction score

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately I don't qualify for Basic Med. I had to surrender my medical in 2008 because of the meds I was taking.

There's no way I could get a new 3rd class issued after being on opioids for ten years. Even if I could, I would have to stop taking them to fly, and that's just not possible.

Pilots whose most recent medical certificate has been revoked, suspended, or withdrawn, had his or her most recent application denied, or authorization for special issuance withdrawn, will need to obtain a new medical certificate before they can operate under BasicMed.

Jetdriver951

Reaction score
20171022_183735.jpg
20181024_235940.jpg
20171008_111949.jpg
20171007_115342.jpg
20160822_152707.jpg
Corporate pilot been doing it since 1998. Lucky and blessed to be where I am today. Over 10,000 hours. Currently sitting in London will be heading back to California no later that Tuesday. Still there is nothing better for me than being on the boat with the wife. Sorry I have to block the tail number.

Last edited:

Jetdriver951

Reaction score
I got my license when I was young and would fly my Piper Archer to the old airport on the island in Havasu.I got married and had kids and quit flying.We moved to Florida and I got the bug again to fly,I got current last year and recently bought a plane.I bought a Piper Mirage. View attachment 695606
That's a sweet ride.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Awesome thread. If I could choose any job in the world it would be a pilot. I grew up having crap tons of model hanging from the ceilings, going to airshows, riding my bike around and pretending I was a Blue Angel, etc. etc.. My uncle was a CH53-E pilot in the Marines and I idolized him. In Highschool I went to the Airforce recruiter, took the ASVAB, was told I could have any job I wanted, but....you can’t fly because of some weird form of colorblindness. Maybe in a next life. If you have some free time check out Corporate Pilot Life on youtube... what a job.

AZagpilot

Reaction score
I got my private in Carlsbad 30 years ago. Finished my ratings through cfii-mei and instructed and flew out of John Wayne.
Set it aside for awhile when the kids came along. Then later bought a turbo 310 and a super decathlon.
About 10 years ago moved to the vacation home in Mohave valley and started flying Ag in a AT-802. Currently about 8000 hours and flying about 5-600 a year.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Private Pilot, ASMEL with instrument privileges.

I started flying out of Carlsbad (Palomar) airport in '82. Learned to fly in Piper Warriors ad Archers. First plane was Cessna 177RG, then A36 Bonanza, Piper Saratoga (with A/C), then Beech Baron B-55 and final plane was Cessna 303 Crusader. Pretty much used the plane to commute from OC to Havasu and to see the folks in northern CA when they were still around.

Grew up wanting to be a commercial pilot but red/green color blindless kept me out of the military and/or commercial flying so all my 2000+ hours have been on our own dime and we truly enjoyed every bit of it and wouldn't change a thing.

This was our last plane
In Flight Right Turn - New_edited.JPG
Left Front - (Kx7).JPG
In Flight Right Turn - New_edited.JPG
Left Front - (Kx7).JPG
Right Rear - New_edited.JPG

RaceTec

Reaction score
I was just thinking about digging out my log book again to get back at it... Started then started racing and never finished... Luckily with a ton of pilot friends the cost wouldn't be too crazy but I need to pay off all of my debt before I pick that up as a hobby... I started in aviation getting my A&P and rotorcraft certs before getting into racing... I have worked on everything from R22's to Hawkers and Huey's...

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Wow, I cant believe how many fly on here. I turned 45 this year and have been kicking around the idea of getting my license.

Super cool and thanks for sharing.

530RL

Reaction score
Awesome thread. If I could choose any job in the world it would be a pilot. I grew up having crap tons of model hanging from the ceilings, going to airshows, riding my bike around and pretending I was a Blue Angel, etc. etc.. My uncle was a CH53-E pilot in the Marines and I idolized him. In Highschool I went to the Airforce recruiter, took the ASVAB, was told I could have any job I wanted, but....you can’t fly because of some weird form of colorblindness. Maybe in a next life. If you have some free time check out Corporate Pilot Life on youtube... what a job.

About 25% of males have some form of color deficiency as defined by a failure on the Ishihara test.

Total color blindness is not a disqualifying condition for a class one, class two or class three medical. It simply limits you to exercising those privileges during daylight hours only.

However, if you can see the difference between red, green and white lights, your color deficiency will not prevent you from becoming a private pilot, commercial pilot, from being hired, nor from being able to exercise commercial privileges in the day or night. And if you can drive and see the difference between the green and red lights when driving, you will be able to see the lights from a tower.

If you fail the Ishihara test during a flight physical, you are simply precluded from flying at night until you get your waiver. If you then do a light signal test at any FAA authorized airport, you will receive a permanent waiver from the Ishihara test.

It does not even show up on your medical certificate. Color deficiency will absolutely not stop you from achieving your dream, unless you can not tell the difference between a red, white and green light in which case, forget flying, maybe take Uber..... :)

Last edited:

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
About 25% of males have some form of color deficiency as defined by a failure on the Ishihara test.

Total color blindness is not a disqualifying condition for a class one, class two or class three medical. It simply limits you to exercising those privileges during daylight hours only.

However, if you can see the difference between red, green and white lights, your color deficiency will not prevent you from becoming a private pilot, commercial pilot, from being hired, nor from being able to exercise commercial privileges in the day or night. And if you can drive and see the difference between the green and red lights when driving, you will be able to see the lights from a tower.

If you fail the Ishihara test during a flight physical, you are simply precluded from flying at night until you get your waiver. If you then do a light signal test at any FAA authorized airport, you will receive a permanent waiver from the Ishihara test.

It does not even show up on your medical certificate. Color deficiency will absolutely not stop you from achieving your dream, unless you can not tell the difference between a red, white and green light in which case, forget flying, maybe take Uber..... :)
True but......................no one is gonna hire you as an Airline pilot and/or Military pilot. When there are 2000 people for every 100 jobs they gotta thin the heard somehow :)

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I am happy for all of the licensed pilots.
I never kept my license current from 1980.
It got too expensive for me to fly.
Thankfully my job at Edwards AFB enabled me to actually fly back seat in some cool aircraft..
T38s, F4s, A37s, and yes I actually got to fly the aircraft. I had a yearly altitude chamber cert.
The best ride ever was in a F106 from the Fresno ANG.
We took off out of Edwards and before I new it we were at 50,00 feet and 1.7 mach in the high super sonic corridor, west to east.
Major Tishner let me have the controls and it was a blast.
I could see the curvature of the earth.
We got to subsonic speed and he let me do some aerobatics, yes I was flying the F-106 in the Panamint MOA/ATCA which I had never done in my life.
I will never forget that flight.
I salute all pilots.

Flippindough

Reaction score
View attachment 695829 View attachment 695830 View attachment 695831 View attachment 695832 View attachment 695833 Corporate pilot been doing it since 1998. Lucky and blessed to be where I am today. Over 10,000 hours. Currently sitting in London will be heading back to California no later that Tuesday. Still there is nothing better for me than being on the boat with the wife. Sorry I have to block the tail number.
Do you fly for an individual owner or a charter company? I have a friend who flys a Falcon 50 out of KCRQ and only flys for the owner she may fly a few times a year and pulls in in the six figures.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

Thanks for the info. I was a no go in the Airforce, for a pilot, when I was 17, so I'm guessing there is no way they are going to take me now at 34. I guess I could always try to self fund a license, but I've heard that is extremely expensive. Ps. I am not Red/Green color deficient, but more of a blue/purple.