WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How many pilots?

Jetdriver951

Reaction score
Do you fly for an individual owner or a charter company? I have a friend who flys a Falcon 50 out of KCRQ and only flys for the owner she may fly a few times a year and pulls in in the six figures.
Is her name Valerie

530RL

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was a no go in the Airforce, for a pilot, when I was 17, so I'm guessing there is no way they are going to take me now at 34. I guess I could always try to self fund a license, but I've heard that is extremely expensive. Ps. I am not Red/Green color deficient, but more of a blue/purple.

You're ancient...... :)

If you never knew before the ASVAB I suspect you are like about a quarter of all men and just barely color deficient. The armed forces changed their standards last year for color vision as it was an old standard that had no basis in reality. Sort of like 20/20 vision standards.

Just not necessary anymore.

You can get a sport pilot license pretty cheap. And all those skills and muscle memory apply. You are young. By the time you are my age with a little luck and hard work you will be in your own jet.

rrrr

Reaction score
View attachment 695829 View attachment 695830 View attachment 695831 View attachment 695832 View attachment 695833 Corporate pilot been doing it since 1998. Lucky and blessed to be where I am today. Over 10,000 hours. Currently sitting in London will be heading back to California no later that Tuesday. Still there is nothing better for me than being on the boat with the wife. Sorry I have to block the tail number.

Jetdriver has obviously won this thread.

:cool:

Jetdriver951

Reaction score
Jetdriver has obviously won this thread.

:cool:
Thank you for the compliment but honestly there are good days and bad days just like everything else. Some days your in hawaii and some days your in Haiti. ☹ It certainly makes you appreciate the time you do have with your loved ones. I will be missing Thanksgiving, Christmas, and new year's this year because of work. Like I said before I am extremely humble and blessed to be paid to fly all over the world. I did have a quick layover close to home this last monday and was able to find out some great news. Glad I was able to make it to the appointment. This will be our first.
16081.jpeg
20181022_094110.jpg

rrrr

Reaction score
That's great news. Thanks for sharing.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Awesome news man!!! From a guy who gave a lot of his time to work for a better future congratulations!!

It will be the best thing you ever have accomplished by far. I hope God blesses you and your family and that your little one arrives safely. Get that kid flying ASAP!!

Thank you for the compliment but honestly there are good days and bad days just like everything else. Some days your in hawaii and some days your in Haiti. ☹ It certainly makes you appreciate the time you do have with your loved ones. I will be missing Thanksgiving, Christmas, and new year's this year because of work. Like I said before I am extremely humble and blessed to be paid to fly all over the world. I did have a quick layover close to home this last monday and was able to find out some great news. Glad I was able to make it to the appointment. This will be our first. View attachment 696161 View attachment 696162

Havafewinsider

Reaction score
View attachment 695829 View attachment 695830 View attachment 695831 View attachment 695832 View attachment 695833 Corporate pilot been doing it since 1998. Lucky and blessed to be where I am today. Over 10,000 hours. Currently sitting in London will be heading back to California no later that Tuesday. Still there is nothing better for me than being on the boat with the wife. Sorry I have to block the tail number.
only reason to block the tail number is if you fly someone fancy!!!

rrrr

Reaction score
Nice photo...that's a GLEX, right?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
i'm a student pilot and have a total of about 25 hrs in a warrior. I bought this Mooney a few weeks ago to continue with my IFR rating after i complete my private.
View attachment 696206 View attachment 696207

Nice M20C... I earned my instrument in a 182 with one nav/com (an old King KX170) and an ADF. Keep that in mind when doing intersection holds partial panel. You kids today have it to easy... :D

Last edited:

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I’m a solo and night cross country away from my PPL. Last time I flew was 15 years ago. I just kind of stopped. I miss the shit out of it. Not sure if that time would still count towards my ticket, but obviously there’s a lot of knowledge to catch back up on.

copterzach

Reaction score
I fly an R44 and an R66 for friend who owns an oil and gas service company. When his pilot is not available. His pilot also flies their jet. I put on the company shirt and fly mostly to locations in south Tx. So its not bad. But sitting around waiting gets old quick.

IMG_5143.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
b1F14.jpg
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
AA200DD2-2D7E-4F09-BD8D-25BACF4BE2EB.jpeg
View attachment 696416

First landing right about here on the old LHC RWY 23 40ish years ago. Since then, 20 years USAF/USAFR (T-38, B-1B, KC-10). 25 years into commercial (B-737). Worked at the LH Marina gas docks/launch ramp in the late 70s. Cool combination of badass boats and planes/jets landing over the marina on 23. Very cool era to grow up in/be on LH.

Last edited:

77hallett

Reaction score
Not a pilot but active duty search and rescue Loadmaster in the Air Force. Currently flying on the HC-130J. Have just over 1,800 hours including 500 combat hours. It pays the bills.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2050.JPG
    IMG_2050.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 99

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I would love to get my PPL. Realistically how long does it take to get if its not your full time gig? Flying 2x week going to take a year?
We work nation wide and it would be awesome to be able to fly and see projects and do meetings and not go commercial. Just don't think I want to fly a small Cessna to the east coast.....

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Not a pilot, I was working up in Boise all week. I do business with KitFox aircraft. I had to go to look at a fitting. They gave me a tour. Really neat shop. They sell kits, and full, finished planes. 4 year wait for a done plane.

Though some of you might like these pictures.

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2996.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_3003.JPG

rrrr

Reaction score
Hey Bob I did not know you were on here. I picked up the candy cane from you and Matt with the crazy dog a few days ago.

"The candy cane"...

That's a good description. I like the graphics, too many Gulfstreams are white with a stripe. It appears to be a G550.

I didn't know we had some big iron pilots on RDP. Thanks for contributing to the thread.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Do any of you guys fly out of Whiteman airport in Sylmar ? I am doing some work there and it restarted the bug to look into flying

GMD

Reaction score
i'm a student pilot and have a total of about 25 hrs in a warrior. I bought this Mooney a few weeks ago to continue with my IFR rating after i complete my private.
View attachment 696206 View attachment 696207

Who insured your aircraft while training? It’s an RG from the looks of it. Avemco won’t insure students in an RG, so I’m interested who you got to insure it.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Call a broker, they'll find someone. Rates might be steep for the first year till you get your license and some hours in type, but it is more than doable. The type clubs often have releationships with insurance brokers that you can work with.

AVEMCO doesn't use brokers.

I've used AOPA Insurance Agency for over ten years but I believe someone on here can find aviation policies, Andy01 perhaps? When shopping insurance, ask it to be quoted without your N-numbe. There are only so many underwriters for aviation policies, but often time brokers can get different rates. If an underwriter quotes broker #1 based on your N-number your rate is "locked up" to that quote (I'm sure there is an industry term for it). Broker #2 wouldn't get a quote from the same underwriter.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that being held in the air by 4.5 foot tall by 4 inch round tube fastened to a little tube frame with four 5/8 inch bolts in rubber grommets makes you nervous?

:) :)

View attachment 696778 View attachment 696779

That and the Jesus Nut.

Growing up, my best friend's step-dad had been a helo pilot in Vietnam. He and I ended up flying (fixed wing) together quite a bit after I earned my license. Tom had a couple of stories about rotor heads departing the airframe because of the "Jesus Nut".

But fixed wings aren't immune to the small hardware shenanigans. I was looking at a Swift at one time, the tail is held on by 4, 1/4" bolts... that are 50 years old. :eek:

Kenny D

Reaction score
Call a broker, they'll find someone. Rates might be steep for the first year till you get your license and some hours in type, but it is more than doable. The type clubs often have releationships with insurance brokers that you can work with.

AVEMCO doesn't use brokers.

I've used AOPA Insurance Agency for over ten years but I believe someone on here can find aviation policies, Andy01 perhaps? When shopping insurance, ask it to be quoted without your N-numbe. There are only so many underwriters for aviation policies, but often time brokers can get different rates. If an underwriter quotes broker #1 based on your N-number your rate is "locked up" to that quote (I'm sure there is an industry term for it). Broker #2 wouldn't get a quote from the same underwriter.
Who insured your aircraft while training? It’s an RG from the looks of it. Avemco won’t insure students in an RG, so I’m interested who you got to insure it.

I used a broker and am happy with him......the insurance company required me to go to a 4 day flight training school and have a mentor pilot right seat for 25 hours.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Wow no idea there were so many pilots on here that's awesome! I fly MH-65Ds for the Coast Guard. About 1200 hours now. Commercial single engine FW, rotary, and IFR licenses. I may try and make a jump to the airlines while they're still hiring helicopter pilots!
HITRON_MH-65C_Fires_warning_shots.jpg

Last edited:

copterzach

Reaction score
IMG_0152.jpg

Getting gas this morning

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Wow no idea there were so many pilots on here that's awesome! I fly MH-65Ds for the Coast Guard. About 1200 hours now. Commercial single engine FW, rotary, and IFR licenses. I may try and make a jump to the airlines while they're still hiring helicopter pilots!
HITRON_MH-65C_Fires_warning_shots.jpg

Are you guys firing warning shots at a drug running boat, rogue boat that lost their crew or training?

rrrr

Reaction score
Zach, do you ever run cattle on the ranch outside Carrizo Springs that used to belong to Crawford? Place has a 4,500' asphalt runway.

Lost in bankruptcy and jail for financial shenanigans.

copterzach

Reaction score
Zach, do you ever run cattle on the ranch outside Carrizo Springs that used to belong to Crawford? Place has a 4,500' asphalt runway.

Lost in bankruptcy and jail for financial shenanigans.

Caught some exotics there a long time ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk