WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How much $$ is a clean title worth over a salvage title to you?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I'm sure. Just got done truck shopping. Can't find shit that's not a Roach, for $10k. Not even a Tahoe. If it's got a bed, 100k miles or less, 4 full size doors, and doesn't smell like shit, better show up with atleast $17k.

My budget started at $10k. Ended up spending $25k.
My buddy just did that...went out looking for a decent tundra with $15K in his pocket...everything was garbage. he kept bumping the budget up and finally cruised by last week with with a low mile 2019 for $40K. I don't want to spend $40K on a truck, or $15K for that matter.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
This seems like a no-brainer. You want the truck, and they're giving you $10k. You already have the parts. Why do you care about salvage value if you're gonna keep it?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
This seems like a no-brainer. You want the truck, and they're giving you $10k. You already have the parts. Why do you care about salvage value if you're gonna keep it?
Never owned a salvage title vehicle...and it’s fucking stupid in this case to salvage title it.

2Driver

Reaction score
Never owned a salvage title vehicle...and it’s fucking stupid in this case to salvage title it.

Its not a big of a deal now that its nearly fully depreciated but you should shop insuring a salvage vehicle it may not be the same price as a clean title

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
BTW, if you document this well, this is the type of Salvage Title vehicle I would buy. It's not frame bent and it hasn't been flooded. In fact, there is nothing wrong with it.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Need to factor in a lowering kit, so they don't steal the cats again.
And a fuel pump relay interrupt switch.

Dan'l

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Need to factor in a lowering kit, so they don't steal the cats again.
And a fuel pump relay interrupt switch.

Dan'l
I have much more exciting theft deterrent plans than that.

a fuel pump switch won’t do much when they rope towed it away.

Last edited:

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Buy the truck back, to register you need: smog, break and lights, run it until it dies then you can still sell it for $ 1000

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
driver's door handle and lock cylinder
ignition lock cylinder.
I pulled the steering wheel off and pulled the lock case, brought it and the door cylinder over to a locksmith who fixed it for $130 and cut me 2 new keys using the VIN.

They pulled the bottom column cover off but it's not broken...they didn't have time to remove a screw, but the screw is gone...still a mystery.

The rear bumper got a bit bent from them pushing it...but I'll pull it straight again....or not, haven't decided yet.

Needs rear 02 sensors and all the exhaust between the manifolds and the muffler.

Edit: and a battery. ignition was broken in a position that evidently drew power. No lights or anything on the dash, but the battery was flat dead by the time I tore it all apart. I rolled the switch over by hand with a new battery and it started and ran, so I don't think anything electrical is fucked up, but will do a draw test once I get the column back together tonight (I broke the tang on the stupid shift interlock cable and the new cable just showed up today).
If you have a smog “guy” - prefect candidate for a set of long tube headers and exhaust minus cats. That plus a tune and it will run like a raped ape and won’t cost much.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If you have a smog “guy” - prefect candidate for a set of long tube headers and exhaust minus cats. That plus a tune and it will run like a raped ape and won’t cost much.
While I do have a guy, I’m putting it back together correctly with mostly OE parts. I had to make a single exception due to lack of availabitly of the passenger side main cat/muffler assembly.

I like my daily drivers bone stock.

endobear

Reaction score
Cant you get it insured based on what you say its worth? Salvage or Clear title.

DLC

Reaction score
This is a no brainer for me!
take the $10,000
buy the truck back & fix it. The only real question is do they take your current plate and registration? how does the process work to convert it to a salvage title?

Document everything, print all e mails that have to do with insurance and the theft and in 3-5 years sell it w/ 150,000 or 180,000 miles ANYTHING YOU GET FROM THAT POINT IS GRAVY

the insurance company is paying for your truck! Take it and run !

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Take the money, buy the truck back, post an ad on CL for $1000 for a cat.. Win Win situation...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Would you truste mileage a 20 year old GM product with no knowledge of it's prior history? I wouldn't.
...Just to keep the game going tell them you feel their $10K is a little bit low and come up with a couple of comps ...same truck ...same year...Same mileage...but priced hopefully quite a bit higher than the 10 K ...this will also get their attention👍

PaPaG

Reaction score
I HATE THIEF'S! they should all be put up against a concrete wall in the center of each town and SHOT so other thief's can see their future! OK Rant over.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I did an owner retained total loss....they paid out $8400. The guy said I should get a packet explaining the process to change to a salvage title, but added that if I don't want to change to salvage title, that's really up to me. I guess I'll just keep driving it until someone tells me otherwise.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Have you started to receive these from Farmers21st trying to get you sign off on who knows what???...
...I think the reason I am still getting them is I got my way the claims adjuster did not get hers???...I have requested through upper management that they stop. but they keep coming at least one a morning ...thank you Jennifer Williams ...I guess you have the Scorpio I will not give up I will torture you tell your last dying breath... they even have got my name wrong??
60728612-FF0A-449C-8457-635D529F898C.png

... be interesting to know who your claims adjuster is

lbhsbz

Reaction score
...Have you started to receive these from Farmers21st trying to get you sign off on who knows what???...
...I think the reason I am still getting them is I got my way the claims adjuster did not get hers???...I have requested through upper management that they stop. but they keep coming at least one a morning ...thank you Jennifer Williams ...I guess you have the Scorpio I will not give up I will torture you tell your last dying breath... they even have got my name wrong??
View attachment 948064
... be interesting to know who your claims adjuster is

I got a few in the beginning via email, but that's it.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have the exact same truck... 02 Silverado 1500 HD. I wish I was a con guy because I’d be stoked with 10k for it.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I have the exact same truck... 02 Silverado 1500 HD. I wish I was a con guy because I’d be stoked with 10k for it.

Park it in Long Beach for the weekend....the cats will be gone when you come back to it and the insurance will total it and write you a check.

Edit:...or were you somehow trying to imply that I was a con guy?

edit 2: I see where my post may have indicated that I might be the one stealing them to put on my truck...not so. One side arrived today and the other side is coming out of Lansing MI and should be here in a few days. 4 cats on the truck, had to settle for one aftermarket unit and 3 OE. $3300ish.

Last edited:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Park it in Long Beach for the weekend....the cats will be gone when you come back to it and the insurance will total it and write you a check.

Edit:...or were you somehow trying to imply that I was a con guy?
Wasn’t implying anything.

BONER

Reaction score
My buddy just did that...went out looking for a decent tundra with $15K in his pocket...everything was garbage. he kept bumping the budget up and finally cruised by last week with with a low mile 2019 for $40K. I don't want to spend $40K on a truck, or $15K for that matter.

I'm a Silverado / Sierra guy. I just didn't have any more money to spend, so had to tap out with an F150. It's nice and I really like it, but still kind of want a Silvy Lol. Maybe next time.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
So you will be $5 grand ahead after you buy it back and fix it on the cheap?

No Brainer. Buy it back and fix it.
This is how i see it as well. You may not be able to replace it for 10k but you’d be pretty hard pressed to sell it for much over 10k. Take the 10, buy back and fix, then look at the fact if you were to sell you’ve already gotten 5 of the sale price. So now that 12k truck only needs to sell for 7k to be in the exact same boat. Plus the salvage title typically comes with insurance paperwork so any perspective buyer can be shown it was “stolen cats” that salvaged it not the fact it got rumpled!

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Salvage title makes it worth less than half it's original value IMO. Not a big deal if you are going to keep it, other than the difficulty insuring it.

If you are going to run the wheels off it then bury it, taking the 10k and paying someone to fix it for 4k is a win, or doing it yourself for 3500. You can always bring you own eggs to Sambos, just pay the labor and not the markup.
I thought it would be tough getting insurance on a salvage title, I bought a 2012 Range Rover Evoque with a salvage title, called my Allstate agent and she said no problem. Full coverage! Don’t settle with the insurance company without enough money to buy a twin to your truck today. The blue book is irrelevant if you can’t buy one in real time.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Who cares if it has a salvage title. I know plenty of people who drive salvage vehicles and don't care one bit. They know what to look for when purchasing. I bet with documentation, a salvage title wouldn't drop the value on this vehicle much if any. When you go to sell it someday, which appears isn't anytime soon, it won't make much difference. At some point, vehicles reach their floor value and it appears you're going to drive this one to that value with or without a salvage. Your stubbornness of the title is costing you money.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
The salvage isn’t a huge issue when you sell it if the incident is not recent. I’ve been looking at Tacoma’s and it’s a total joke trying to find one under 10k. Salvage title and 300k miles seems to be the norm

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Who cares if it has a salvage title. I know plenty of people who drive salvage vehicles and don't care one bit. They know what to look for when purchasing. I bet with documentation, a salvage title wouldn't drop the value on this vehicle much if any. When you go to sell it someday, which appears isn't anytime soon, it won't make much difference. At some point, vehicles reach their floor value and it appears you're going to drive this one to that value with or without a salvage. Your stubbornness of the title is costing you money.

I'm still struggling to understand why this is still a concern. It is a simple business decision at this point.

Glad the repairs are already in process.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I'm still struggling to understand why this is still a concern. It is a simple business decision at this point.

Glad the repairs are already in process.

I’m still struggling with putting business ahead of values. I’m working on it.