WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How much money do you have in your RZR? And pics...........

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Cognito builds a mean machine.

These things are like any other toy to me.

UD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
SXS will never be rails or a jeep but a jeep or rail will never be a SXS.

They are (were) cheap reliable fun that were easy to work on and pretty much bullet proof. Don't think for a second that you are going to buy a 40K LSX sand rail and be done. They are literally money pits and have constant issues and need constant repairs. Plan on rebuilding the mendi tranny for $2500+ every couple years and thats if you get off easy and don't have motor or CV issues.

Sand rails are bad in the hard pack (unless you have a true dual sport car) and terrible in the rocks. A good SXS will go everywhere.

I miss having one and would love to build a new 1000 4 seater but I just can't justify the $$$ for a depreciating asset at this time.Polaris keeps coming out with the next best thing 6 months later and it kills the re sale 2 years down the line.

I chose the jeep route for now as I can drive it on the street and they hold there value extremely well.

Meaney77

Reaction score
This may have been stated before but, Why wouldn't you just go to a rail ? There a lot out there for 45K that kick ass, have a stronger frame and tons more horsepower. I have a teryx I bought from funco for $7500.

You are right, there is a lot of stuff out there for $45K or less. I have my own opinions about the SxS world, I think they are great with a ton of options for an entry level driver but its just not for me. I have a buddy who has close to $50K in his SxS and its a great looking car but $50K is a lot of debt, and at the end of the day he is limited on where he can go without a plate. He wanted to do the Topock poker run but couldn't, he wants to check out Mammoth (some of the best driving in CA in my opinion) with us but cant. In the last 5 years of having my car I have never needed 4 wheel drive to get to a destination and in my opinion we do a ton of various driving from rock crawling in the Sierra's to top of 4th along the Mohave Trail along with Glamis and Pismo. Knock on wood my car has never left me stranded. I am a firm believer like anything if you keep up on your maintenance and due your due dillagence before and after your trips most of the time you wont be working on your stuff during your trip.

Not saying I have the best of anything but my car is versatile for me and my family- it works for us. I have had my 70 year old mom in it. I pack my 2 little girls in the back in their car seats with my pregnant wife in the front seat and a cooler full of beer and we are good to go! At the end of the day to each their own- I am sure there are several people that scratch their heads about having a ~50 year old VW based off road car too.

Some examples of whats out there with a plate:

This thing is over the top and for $45k with and LS1...http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.php?ct=prerun&md=details&id=99721

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1856078

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1843352

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.php?ct=orcar&md=details&id=99541

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.php?ct=orcar&md=details&id=100494

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.php?ct=prerun&md=details&id=100297

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on the Yamaha?

Drove a couple halloween weekend.

Nice car- you gotta a keep it boiling in the dunes.

Falls off hard below 8K - you do a lot 2-3/3-2/2-3/3-2 stuff, but the box is pretty slick and its fun.

little narrow its tippy with paddles has a tendency to catch in a slide,

..... and the suspension may be great in rock, but in the sand on whoops I was looking at the ground a lot.

I'm waiting for the 1K version and Ill flip.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
That thing is over the top! It's not a cage on a stock frame? More like a full tube car with a Polaris engine and plastic front end?

pretty much I think UTV mag did a special on cognito motorsports and featured this great car.

UD

JRS1939

Reaction score
That thing is over the top! It's not a cage on a stock frame? More like a full tube car with a Polaris engine and plastic front end?
Stock frame rails and stock suspension pick up points. The rest is all fab.

Andy01

Reaction score
Now I'm feeling better about going the Bronco route. I should have less than 50k into it and the resale won't drop like a rock when the next best thing comes out View attachment 447018
Considered a Bronco before I bought the blazer. Hard to beat a beam set up. 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive? You should post a build thread on that, frame looks plated nicely!
You are right, there is a lot of stuff out there for $45K or less. I have my own opinions about the SxS world, I think they are great with a ton of options for an entry level driver but its just not for me. I have a buddy who has close to $50K in his SxS and its a great looking car but $50K is a lot of debt, and at the end of the day he is limited on where he can go without a plate. He wanted to do the Topock poker run but couldn't, he wants to check out Mammoth (some of the best driving in CA in my opinion) with us but cant. In the last 5 years of having my car I have never needed 4 wheel drive to get to a destination and in my opinion we do a ton of various driving from rock crawling in the Sierra's to top of 4th along the Mohave Trail along with Glamis and Pismo. Knock on wood my car has never left me stranded. I am a firm believer like anything if you keep up on your maintenance and due your due dillagence before and after your trips most of the time you wont be working on your stuff during your trip.

Not saying I have the best of anything but my car is versatile for me and my family- it works for us. I have had my 70 year old mom in it. I pack my 2 little girls in the back in their car seats with my pregnant wife in the front seat and a cooler full of beer and we are good to go! At the end of the day to each their own- I am sure there are several people that scratch their heads about having a ~50 year old VW based off road car too.

Some examples of whats out there with a plate:

This thing is over the top and for $45k with and LS1...http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.php?ct=prerun&md=details&id=99721

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1856078

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1843352

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.php?ct=orcar&md=details&id=99541

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.php?ct=orcar&md=details&id=100494

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.php?ct=prerun&md=details&id=100297

You must own a Baja? I had a caged, pretty close to stock suspension 66 for a while and loved it. A friend of mine had a mildly built Baja, then a fully built truggy, and now a Cherokee mildly build. Still says he had a lot of fun in the Baja with his wife and kids.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Considered a Bronco before I bought the blazer. Hard to beat a beam set up. 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive? You should post a build thread on that, frame looks plated nicely!

You must own a Baja? I had a caged, pretty close to stock suspension 66 for a while and loved it. A friend of mine had a mildly built Baja, then a fully built truggy, and now a Cherokee mildly build. Still says he had a lot of fun in the Baja with his wife and kids.

I have a long travel Manx with a 2.2L Ecotec that's street legal- nothing to fancy but lots of fun and very versatile. Most of my buddies all have Baja's or Things and we all have a good time driving together.

Andy01

Reaction score
I have a long travel Manx with a 2.2L Ecotec that's street legal- nothing to fancy but lots of fun and very versatile. Most of my buddies all have Baja's or Things and we all have a good time driving together.

I loved my Baja, I ran the shit out of it. You never have a issue with 2 wheel drive? I will be doing all Havasu off-road.

dezertrider

Reaction score
Broncos are cool for sure.

50 grand in parts?

- what about your time?

UD

Just to keep #s rough, Fabrication is in the low 40's, The rest is add on's like shocks, seats etc. Im keeping original power until phase 2 and 3, Engine and interior. I want to be able to play with it this year

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?138382-My-Winter-Bronco-Build&highlight=bronco

I did, I havent posted any pics latley. The front end should be coming together this week and the shocks are 4 weeks out

Andy01

Reaction score
Just to keep #s rough, Fabrication is in the low 40's, The rest is add on's like shocks, seats etc. Im keeping original power until phase 2 and 3, Engine and interior. I want to be able to play with it this year

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?138382-My-Winter-Bronco-Build&highlight=bronco

I did, I havent posted any pics latley. The front end should be coming together this week and the shocks are 4 weeks out

Thanks for the link, I subscribed. I rode in a fully built Bronco in Ocotillo a few years back and it was nothing short of amazing. Ride was over the top. :thumbup:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Now I'm feeling better about going the Bronco route. I should have less than 50k into it and the resale won't drop like a rock when the next best thing comes out View attachment 447018

Buddy has crazy money in his k5 [emoji3] ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447354895.753518.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447354903.723965.jpg

shadow

Reaction score
Just picked up a new 2015 Fox Edition last week 22k and i can see up grades comparing to my Harley.
profile.jpg

KROOZIN

Reaction score
Thinking of a RZR build, was building a early blazer but I think I will be to old to drive by the time this dream is done. Thinking of buying a new 4 seat rzr for my wife and two daughters. How much do you have in your rzr to get it the way you want it? Can you post pics of your rzr as well? AZ West the best deal place for a new one? Thank you for the replies!!

Andy, you can spend the same on either one and have a blast in either one. The resale on the blazer would probably be better, but lots of people want a sxs. So, who knows. I guess it depends on where you wheel the majority of time. You want to camp and hit trails, the blazer. Just blast around the dez, RZR. I'll take you out for a rip. :thumbup:

Attachments

• both.jpg
    both.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 108

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Andy, you can spend the same on either one and have a blast in either one. The resale on the blazer would probably be better, but lots of people want a sxs. So, who knows. I guess it depends on where you wheel the majority of time. You want to camp and hit trails, the blazer. Just blast around the dez, RZR. I'll take you out for a rip. :thumbup:

Nice rigs.

Thats a wrap on that rzr right?

UD

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Are you still selling it?

I was thinking about it but prob wont for the next year or so. My son won't be able to ride in one for prob 2 more years when I'll do a 4 seater. But who knows anything is possible.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score

When did you get the RZR? Did SDR do your work?

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I don't get it. My buddy bought a Tatum with an LS2 for 36K. There are a million options I would take over a 45k rzr.

Andy01

Reaction score

Shit Dan both are nice!! Are both in Havasu or is that at your shop here? I will be doing all havasu stuff. Nothing here, and only day use.

KROOZIN

Reaction score
When did you get the RZR? Did SDR do your work?

Last December. My kids and wife love driving it, so I had to make sure it was safe ;):D
Randy Rizzi (R n R) built the cage and put it all together for me. I just picked it up from Wolf Designs in AZ, they did the wrap. I need to try it out in Parker :thumbup:

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Last December. My kids and wife love driving it, so I had to make sure it was safe ;):D
Randy Rizzi (R n R) built the cage and put it all together for me. I just picked it up from Wolf Designs in AZ, they did the wrap. I need to try it out in Parker :thumbup:

Wolf did my wrap as well when TMW did my rzr. We will be in Parker for Turkey Day...bring it out and Krooz!

KROOZIN

Reaction score
Shit Dan both are nice!! Are both in Havasu or is that at your shop here? I will be doing all havasu stuff. Nothing here, and only day use.

Thanks brother, they're here in Cali. I think you'd love a RZR, get some booster seats for the kids and you're good to go :thumbup:

idk

Reaction score
2015 XP4 1000 I've got about $34 in it and could put another $10 in it. Next is rims and tires and revalve the suspension. It just gets run in the desert.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
What would you guys say is the cutoff point, between optioning up a RZR for an investment of 40k - VS - Buying a nice dual purpose buggy for 40k ???

I know the RZR is smaller, lighter, possibly cheaper on maintainance and fits in a TH or trailer better. Why else would one chose a RZR over a rail in the same price range?

2Driver

Reaction score
What would you guys say is the cutoff point, between optioning up a RZR for an investment of 40k - VS - Buying a nice dual purpose buggy for 40k ???

I know the RZR is smaller, lighter, possibly cheaper on maintainance and fits in a TH or trailer better. Why else would one chose a RZR over a rail in the same price range?

My time and know-how for much past the easy mechanical stuff is limited. So for me a warranty and ability to walk in to a Polaris dealer and get ii fixed is a plus for the RZR.

On the flip side sticking your foot into a SXS and getting the leaf blower effect doesn't compare to sticking your foot into an LS motor

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

You nailed most of it with the size and maintenance.

I can tell you right now that I have had rhinos and a teryx go places in 4x4 that a 150k dual purpose car would never dream about.

They really are apples and oranges.

The new 1000xp 4 are kind of a best of both worlds. They finally have enough pop to be fun in the dunes and enough wheel base and suspension to mob through big whoops in Barstow. They will also be great with the entire family on the trails of mammoth.

If you keep it stock and break it you take it back and tell them to fix it with the extended warranty.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
You nailed most of it with the size and maintenance.

I can tell you right now that I have had rhinos and a teryx go places in 4x4 that a 150k dual purpose car would never dream about.

They really are apples and oranges.

The new 1000xp 4 are kind of a best of both worlds. They finally have enough pop to be fun in the dunes and enough wheel base and suspension to mob through big whoops in Barstow. They will also be great with the entire family on the trails of mammoth.

If you keep it stock and break it you take it back and tell them to fix it with the extended warranty.
My inner HP whore wants a LS rail....but my wallet wants a dependable smooth riding machine to cruise the desert without breaking 7k transmissions. Thats why I was looking a RZRs

idk

Reaction score
I originally was going to build a vw thing I figured I'd have $45 in it and all my labor in building it. I bought the RZR for 24 turn key and a warranty, granted it's not street legal I still think I'm ahead. Some day I'll build a thing just not now.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
My inner HP whore wants a LS rail....but my wallet wants a dependable smooth riding machine to cruise the desert without breaking 7k transmissions. Thats why I was looking a RZRs

I hear you....

If you are only going to use it in the dunes go rail.

If you plan to use it everywhere or at the needles house get a rzr leave the motor stock and buy the longest warranty possible and beat the shit out of it.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Realistically you can have a ton of fun in a RZR for 20K . so the 40K is an example of the highest end the industry really offers.

You hit a bunch of factors-

environment is a factor - RZR fits on most quad trails.

Easier to find standardized parts for - What steering rack is in that 66 buggy take a look - uhhh theres aren't any part numbers for it??? Which engine? how about that 30 year old carb that wasn't stock?

Cars especially older cars are a real pain to work on and keep running.

UD

underpressure

Reaction score
I had a pretty nice rail (well, for me it was)...LS2 4 seater yada yada...

But, it was strictly limited to and set up for Glamis / duning. Was it a blast to dune, hell yea! But there was no way in hell it was ever going to see a gnarly ass high desert trail. Too much invested in the looks, not to mention the expensive parts on it that are much more likely to break in the desert.

The SXS (I have a tricked out Commander for me and a long travel Rhino for my guests) are just much more enjoyable and much more versatile. Have yet to see even one po-po on the trails aroudn Havasu, but they were everywhere in Glamis.

That rail was sweet, ran like a raped ape, jumped and landed so softly it's just undescribable. But, very happy with the transition to SXS's...

FWIW...

Attachments

• Rail Pic's 009.jpg
    Rail Pic's 009.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 75
  • post-3964-1312236406_thumb.jpg
    post-3964-1312236406_thumb.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 73
  • post-82211-1413165537_thumb.jpg
    post-82211-1413165537_thumb.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 77

G. Faulk

Reaction score
I hear you....

If you are only going to use it in the dunes go rail.

If you plan to use it everywhere or at the needles house get a rzr leave the motor stock and buy the longest warranty possible and beat the shit out of it.

Thats about the way I'm looking at it.

So, do they need more power?? I hear a chip and a slip on muffler to get rid of the cat and your good.

I haven't even been in one yet and I'm going to purchase one. Has anybody heard issues on the new rzr 4 turbo, I've only heard after at 30 mph the from end is making noises like rocks are rolling around in the front end.

Thanks in advance.

catman

Reaction score

So, do they need more power?? I hear a chip and a slip on muffler to get rid of the cat and your good.

I haven't even been in one yet and I'm going to purchase one. Has anybody heard issues on the new rzr 4 turbo, I've only heard after at 30 mph the from end is making noises like rocks are rolling around in the front end.

Thanks in advance.

Is the rzr 4 turbo out yet.I heard Jan. But what do i know ????

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

Yup - and a pipe and a controller wont rock your world. You wont be happy.

outside of the new turbos and the latest 1K 2 seat car, they are fun but not fast enough.

UD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

I would get the turbo model with a long warranty and leave it alone power wise. (Make sure you get a good solid intake filter and sea the factory box and run it.

It's kind of like a car you just aren't going to feel the extra 5-10hp and imo it's a waste for the dollars spent.

Throw on a nice cage/doors/5 point harnesses and some China led bars and bomb it. If you feel fancy throw in some seats and a intercom system with some tunes.

TCHB

Reaction score
I just bought a 2016 RZR 1000. I put on 4 point seat belts, flag and lowered the tire pressure to 8#.

The only thing I will do is put on a front sway bar to stop the lean in the dunes.
Oh yes I put door storage bags on to carry phone and other goodies.

Price $19,800 out the door with the belts.

Attachments

• rzr 1000 pic.jpg
    rzr 1000 pic.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 61