WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

how much of the colorado river is being dumped into mexico?

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
i heard a few years ago we started letting the colorado reach mexico for the first time in many years. is that where all of the water is going? I haven't heard anyonw mention it during all theorizing and speculation going on. is this the elephant in the room? or just a drop in the bucket so to speak

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Article is 7 years old...they have their agreed share of the water.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
as i try to research "colorado river agreement 2019" i only find articles drenched in global warming , bullshit and "super drought". only the vaguest mentions of water to mexico. the original deal to flow water to them was an international agreement called Minute 319. 319 was oroiginally suposed to be a 5 year thing ending 2017. i can find no documentation of whats actually in the 2019 agreement anywhere on line.
if you are familiar with google earth and have tinfoil hat like mine go down to the river delta at the sea of cortez. you can go back in time and pan through the images over the last 20+ years. in 2005 it was dry ass desert. theres more water there now than in 2015. significantly more. be sure not to confuse where the high tide line is.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
They get the agreed allocations.
cant remember or find it, but I thought years back they could store the allocation in the system.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
heres the 2017 update

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
In 2014, in an agreement with Mexico, a portion of Mexico's allotment that was held in Lake Mead for several years, was released in a surge. This had the effect of flooding the Colorado River Delta and enhancing the riparian areas. That was a one-shot deal, and didn't affect the net amount of water that Mexico received.

There is a lake (Senator Wash Reservoir) in the very southern part of the Colorado River in the US. Its sole purpose is to regulate water going into Mexico. When the flow is good, any water in excess of Mexico's allotment, is pumped into the Reservoir. When flow are down, water is pumped out to meet Mexico's allotment.

Except during the great flood fiasco of 1984, when Mexico got about 100 years worth of water, they get no more, and no less water than allowed by law and treaty.

Water is big money. The Colorado River Indian Tribes in Parker agreed to lay fallow several hundred acres of farmland, allowing about 11,000 acre feet of water to remain in Lake Mead, rather than irrigate crops. For that the Tribe gets over $2,000,000 (2 million dollars) per year. The Tribe has the oldest water rights of any other non-Indian entity in the system. Their allotment is 662,402 acre-feet per year for use in Arizona and 56,846 acre-feet per year for use in California. For comparison, the State of Nevada is only allotted about 300,000 acre-feet/year.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Mexico’s allotment immediately goes into irrigation canals as it crosses the border. A mile into Mexico the Colorado Riverbed is basically a dry wash. There is a very large agricultural area in the Mexicali valley. Sat photos clearly show it. I would not be surprised if many of these veggies are then shipped back north to US markets.

checkrdpast

Reaction score
PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE, Who cares about the agreements ,follow the river via google and see that once the river crosses the border it is diverted to an aquaduct system to feed the farmers and the rest is just a trickle. We The USA , are not responsible the trickle that gets to BAJA.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
It’s a trickle into Mexico. We take nearly all of it.

rrrr

Reaction score
They get what the treaty we signed with them says they and no more

All of the theorizing and anecdotes about the Colorado and Lakes Powell and Mead, secret meetings, guys on boat ramps, conspiracies to drain the lake, and all associated bullshit that is floated on this forum ignores basic facts and truths.

The water allocations to the seven states and Mexico on the Colorado flow path and the contributions of water by states upstream of Lakes Powell and Mead are controlled by the original 1922 Seven States Compact and modifications to the compact in the 99 years since it was enacted. Subsequent modifications over the years address allocations to various additional parties, but there aren't any secrets, dark rooms, or briefcases full of hundred dollar bills.

One forum member in particular is so full of shit regarding the subject it's laughable.

Carry on.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
The water allocations to the seven states and Mexico on the Colorado flow path and the contributions of water by states upstream of Lakes Powell and Mead are controlled by the original 1922 Seven States Compact and modifications to the compact in the 99 years since it was enacted.

.......which is based on 'fair river sharing' principles in international law.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
if you are familiar with google earth and have tinfoil hat like mine go down to the river delta at the sea of cortez. you can go back in time and pan through the images over the last 20+ years. in 2005 it was dry ass desert. theres more water there now than in 2015. significantly more. be sure not to confuse where the high tide line is.

I’ve noticed on google maps in satellite view it looks wet most of if not all the way to and through the delta. Those images are current and not what it used to be. All the way over here from Texas it looks like ya’ll are getting hosed.

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
And who exactly is telling us how much water is going out and to where.

Taboma

Reaction score
I’ve noticed on google maps in satellite view it looks wet most of if not all the way to and through the delta. Those images are current and not what it used to be. All the way over here from Texas it looks like ya’ll are getting hosed.

Well, fair enough, but here's two aerial images from Google maps, I'm assuming that's what you're referring to, both images 2021.

Here's a close up of the official Colorado River Terminus as it's referred to ---- in other words, where the river ceases flowing south. If you look closely, you can see where it ends how it's a dry riverbed from that point.

CR Terminus.JPG

Now, let's see where that is relative to the US border and delta. Any water you're seeing anywhere near the delta, is not sourced by the Colorado River.

CR Terminus-2.JPG

BingerFang

Reaction score
My good friend has a beautiful home on the Colorado river down in Mexico. Dock, wakeboard boat the whole 9 yards. When they go down there they have a full time maid that cooks and cleans when they leave.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
All I can add, is that the river below Davis Dam was flowing “max flow” from February thru April, day and night 24/7. Docks were maxed out about to pop off the poles if it raised another 18”. Never seen it do that for such an extended period, especially in winter. I can’t imagine the amount of water that was dumped. Not sure if it went to Mexico but it went somewhere in mass quantity

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
My good friend has a beautiful home on the Colorado river down in Mexico. Dock, wakeboard boat the whole 9 yards. When they go down there they have a full time maid that cooks and cleans when they leave.
so shes the one that steals the water???

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
All I can add, is that the river below Davis Dam was flowing “max flow” from February thru April, day and night 24/7. Docks were maxed out about to pop off the poles if it raised another 18”. Never seen it do that for such an extended period, especially in winter. I can’t imagine the amount of water that was dumped. Not sure if it went to Mexico but it went somewhere in mass quantity
according to the lake graph, looks like about 150' of water dumped out of mead.....you know,... because of global warming and drought

Familyties

Reaction score
The freshwater comes from agricultural runoff and releases from wastewater treatment plants, sounds like fresh water to me.o_O

Taboma

Reaction score

Although that area is referred to as the Colorado River Delta, I think if you follow the river he's on to it's "Wet" source, you'll find it's sourced by the Hardy River.

Colorado-River-Hardy River Delta-Restoration-Sites-Map-2019-copy.jpg

Starloans

Reaction score
When the river crosses to Mexico at Los Algodones, not very far is a dam that diverts ALL the remaining water into a canal, not unlike we do, and is directed to what appears to be agricultural use. The remaining RIVER is nothing more than a dry wash with a seasonal stream. To be fair, Mexico has their allotment and they use every drop for growing shit. We have many "straws" in the river upstream for cities and agricultural use.

There are many "agreements" with states and countries on that river the explanation of which would take up pages on this site. I just call it smoke and mirrors.

People in Vegas bitch about the low water in Mead many of which have never been to Mohave or Havasu and have no idea what happens up or downstream. They're all screaming climate change not knowing that the level in Mohave and Havasu rarely change, probably because of the needs of the supplied entities taking water from that area. It's a system. The reservoirs are doing what they are supposed to. To be sure, there are demands on the river like never before but for now there is water.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Yes, the Hardy river still has water to ski in, homes with docks, landing strip etc. It got hit hard in the 2010 quake which caused some homes to flood from subsiding land and many of the Ladera block homes to break apart. But the water is still there. Totally separate from the Colorado River.

BTW, much of the Ag runoff full of chemicals flows north into the Salton Sea, known as the New River. Also known as one of the most polluted rivers on earth.

baja-chris

Reaction score
IMHO the basic problem is that water was allocated in terms of flow instead of percent of available water. So it's way over allocated since the flow agreements took place when flows were much higher than they have been since the mid 80's. They need to reallocate with percentages of water available instead of cubic feet.

BTW, the idea to pipe water from the east slope, say upper Platte, is interesting but I'll bet most of you do not know there are 13 pipelines in place already the pump water under the continental divide. But they are pumping FROM the Colorado River watershed to the front range for Denver and other front range east slope communities.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Here's an off the wall solution. Build massive water desalinization plants in So Cal and in Rocky Point and San Felipe. These take enormous amounts of power to pump the water through the filters so co-locate them with nuke power plants which also need water for cooling. Put the US Navy in charge of design/build/security - they know more about nuke power than anyone on earth. Pay Mexico a fair price for the water (and power) they ship north. BTW, they already ship power north. The Sunrise Power Link makes a beeline to the Geothermal and Natural Gas generators outside Mexicali. Win-win-win. BTW2, don't base your opinion on nuke power on the 50 year old designs prevalent in most of the world. There is new tech which is way better and safer now a days.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
In 2014, in an agreement with Mexico, a portion of Mexico's allotment that was held in Lake Mead for several years, was released in a surge. This had the effect of flooding the Colorado River Delta and enhancing the riparian areas. That was a one-shot deal, and didn't affect the net amount of water that Mexico received.

There is a lake (Senator Wash Reservoir) in the very southern part of the Colorado River in the US. Its sole purpose is to regulate water going into Mexico. When the flow is good, any water in excess of Mexico's allotment, is pumped into the Reservoir. When flow are down, water is pumped out to meet Mexico's allotment.

Except during the great flood fiasco of 1984, when Mexico got about 100 years worth of water, they get no more, and no less water than allowed by law and treaty.

Water is big money. The Colorado River Indian Tribes in Parker agreed to lay fallow several hundred acres of farmland, allowing about 11,000 acre feet of water to remain in Lake Mead, rather than irrigate crops. For that the Tribe gets over $2,000,000 (2 million dollars) per year. The Tribe has the oldest water rights of any other non-Indian entity in the system. Their allotment is 662,402 acre-feet per year for use in Arizona and 56,846 acre-feet per year for use in California. For comparison, the State of Nevada is only allotted about 300,000 acre-feet/year.
Senator Wash was my early years of river watersports.
At first we just had standup jetskis we rode there and pro racers like Jeff Jacobs and Cristy Carlson used the reservoir to practice often.
The water fluctuations there were extreme. Overnight your boat or ski you left at waters edge could be 50 yards dry or you might step out of your camper into a foot of water.
Tons of memories created there but once we graduated to boats the reservoir became rather small. Mohave and Havasu were the next phases in our boating lives.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
as i try to research "colorado river agreement 2019" i only find articles drenched in global warming , bullshit and "super drought". only the vaguest mentions of water to mexico. the original deal to flow water to them was an international agreement called Minute 319. 319 was oroiginally suposed to be a 5 year thing ending 2017. i can find no documentation of whats actually in the 2019 agreement anywhere on line.

We discussed just about Every aspect of the CO river water in 2FF thread a few weeks ago.

Everything you want to know is answered there, or, the links to the answers are there.

Probably take a week to digest it all.

P.S. The allocations were determined in 1920. They have been trying to change them ever since!

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Here's an off the wall solution. Build massive water desalinization plants in So Cal and in Rocky Point and San Felipe. These take enormous amounts of power to pump the water through the filters so co-locate them with nuke power plants which also need water for cooling. Put the US Navy in charge of design/build/security - they know more about nuke power than anyone on earth. Pay Mexico a fair price for the water (and power) they ship north. BTW, they already ship power north. The Sunrise Power Link makes a beeline to the Geothermal and Natural Gas generators outside Mexicali. Win-win-win. BTW2, don't base your opinion on nuke power on the 50 year old designs prevalent in most of the world. There is new tech which is way better and safer now a days.

And store the nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain. Forever.
Not really very clean.
Fyi Yucca Mountain is ~200 mi from Havasu as the crow flies.

Dan'l

baja-chris

Reaction score
The newest nuke plants in the US were designed in the 70's. Tech has advanced. A lot. Both in terms of safety, and reduction of waste, and economics. Here is good overview. The way things are going, like it or not, the US is going to need a lot more power and water. A nuke with a de-sal plant seems better than alternatives.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
When the river crosses to Mexico at Los Algodones, not very far is a dam that diverts ALL the remaining water into a canal, not unlike we do, and is directed to what appears to be agricultural use. The remaining RIVER is nothing more than a dry wash with a seasonal stream. To be fair, Mexico has their allotment and they use every drop for growing shit. We have many "straws" in the river upstream for cities and agricultural use.

There are many "agreements" with states and countries on that river the explanation of which would take up pages on this site. I just call it smoke and mirrors.

People in Vegas bitch about the low water in Mead many of which have never been to Mohave or Havasu and have no idea what happens up or downstream. They're all screaming climate change not knowing that the level in Mohave and Havasu rarely change, probably because of the needs of the supplied entities taking water from that area. It's a system. The reservoirs are doing what they are supposed to. To be sure, there are demands on the river like never before but for now there is water.
the head of las vegas water authority just did an interview....with the new straw, vegas will still be getting water when no one else is

rrrr

Reaction score
And store the nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain. Forever.
Not really very clean.
Fyi Yucca Mountain is ~200 mi from Havasu as the crow flies.

Dan'l

This country needs to grow up and face facts. The US cannot rely on wind and solar power to replace coal and natural gas electricity generation. The only way to meet the ridiculous goal that the industry will be carbon neutral by 2030 or 2045 or 2050 (take your pick) is by adopting nuclear power.

The US Navy has been operating over a hundred nuclear powered ships and submarines for decades. The 20 year old kids that oversee those reactors have safely operated them without incident since 1956. Modern process control systems have the ability to operate reactors with redundant safeguards.

Regarding waste, Yucca Mountain is a geologically stable formation. Waste stored there will never be subjected to earthquake. As for transport of waste, test after test of the armored casks that will be used for that purpose have shown they are indestructible and fireproof. There are videos on YouTube of casks being struck by locomotives traveling at 100+ MPH and surviving the impact.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
This country needs to grow up and face facts. The US cannot rely on wind and solar power to replace coal and natural gas electricity generation. The only way to meet the ridiculous goal that the industry will be carbon neutral by 2030 or 2045 or 2050 (take your pick) is by adopting nuclear power.

The US Navy has been operating over a hundred nuclear powered ships and submarines for decades. The 20 year old kids that oversee those reactors have safely operated them without incident since 1956. Modern process control systems have the ability to operate reactors with redundant safeguards.

Regarding waste, Yucca Mountain is a geologically stable formation. Waste stored there will never be subjected to earthquake. As for transport of waste, test after test of the armored casks that will be used for that purpose have shown they are indestructible and fireproof. There are videos on YouTube of casks being struck by locomotives traveling at 100+ MPH and surviving the impact.

Is there any radio active waste?
Maybe store it near Dallas?
The radio active waste will still be here after I'm planted 6 feet under. And still no solution for the waste.

Dan'l

rrrr

Reaction score
Is there any radio active waste?
Maybe store it near Dallas?
The radio active waste will still be here after I'm planted 6 feet under. And still no solution for the waste.

Dan'l

Seventy five years of head up the ass hasn't stored much waste.

I couldn't care less if I lived across the street from Yucca Mountain. Waste that has been vitrified with molten glass and placed in indestructible casks isn't going to leak, ever.

Ignorance isn't making the problem go away.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Seventy five years of head up the ass hasn't stored much waste.

I couldn't care less if I lived across the street from Yucca Mountain. Waste that has been vitrified with molten glass and placed in indestructible casks isn't going to leak, ever.

Ignorance isn't making the problem go away.

So, just push it down the road.
Gotcha

Dan'l

Bugginout

Reaction score

I've worked on all of them and I concur. Nukes and natural gas are viable options. Fracking does fuck up the ground water terribly though. Windmills and PV plants without storage aren't optimal. Power towers work well but no storage as well. There are no adults in the room in Washington on either side. Fuckin lobbyists run this country and own Washington just my opinion and we all know about those.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

A lot of the waste can be removed from the mountain to power the new reactors. Based on the new French designed ones, our spent fuel can run one of those for another 50 years.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

boatpi

Reaction score
I was down in that area near Winter Park about five years ago at the time I was there which is the middle of the summer it was about 2 feet deep at the most. This is just outside of Yuma.