WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How not to handle Haulover...

4Waters

Reaction score
It looked like a bikini top went out right before her, she still had hers on but I wonder if someone else lost their's.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
From this Sport Fishing Mag article: “A powerful outgoing tide streaming through a narrow channel and a strong onshore wind tend to pile up steep seas,” Cordes explains. “Combine these two factors with shoaling, and you have big, breaking waves at the inlet, resulting in very dangerous conditions.”

I was just wondering.....

I actually thought maybe a wakesurf boat plowed thru... PS, looks like Parker on a holiday weekend

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Even though I have seen many Haulover Videos..... That was unusual! I must admit..... it was fun to watch.

She is lucky another boat wasn’t right behind the Formula.

For those of you that are unaware...... The most popular sandbar in South Florida is just on the other side of the bridge. It’s why there are so many Haulover Videos. However, Haulover Inlet is not the most treacherous...... but as you can see, it certainly gets real. The very first boat in the video is a perfect example of what not to do....... Speak about making a rough ride even worse. My back hurts just watching.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Looks like a preview of things to come on labor day weekend.. 🤪

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
The title of the thread is how not to handle Haulover.

Here is an old video, but has a GREAT lesson......... Don’t let your bow get pointed downhill! (Filmed at Jupiter Inlet)

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
It looked like a bikini top went out right before her, she still had hers on but I wonder if someone else lost their's.

That looks like one of those inflattable life perservers, which was probably loose in the bow area. Bet she wishes she would have put that on...

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
great video - and watching that one boat stuff its bow

Last edited:

RodnJen

Reaction score
So often you see young kids in those videos with no vest.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I am amazed that some people don't put vests on the kids in the boat...let alone ride upfront through that mess.

Jezuz that was scary to watch.

I was thinking the guy on the ski should have thrown her HiS vest right away. Thank gawd that girl could swim...

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Jezuz that was scary to watch.

I was thinking the guy on the ski should have thrown her HiS vest right away. Thank gawd that girl could swim...
Absolutely not...the rescuer is worthless if incapacitated...Just like on the airplane safety briefings...secure your oxygen mask before assisting others.

I will help anyone that needs help, but I will not put my life in a greater level of jeopardy than theirs to do so, unless it's my wife or son.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely not...the rescuer is worthless if incapacitated...Just like on the airplane safety briefings...secure your oxygen mask before assisting others.

I will help anyone that needs help, but I will not put my life in a greater level of jeopardy than theirs to do so, unless it's my wife or son.

I agree with your sentiment, but not in this situation...

If she woulda went under, it woulda been bad for everyone involved.

No blood no foul fortunately.

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
Most people using that inlet know the bad water...and know the cameras are there. I guess they'd rather be a fail on YouTube than actually keep all their passengers, stuff, dinghy, etc. onboard.

#florida

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I agree with your sentiment, but not in this situation...

If she woulda went under, it woulda been bad for everyone involved.

No blood no foul fortunately.

If he had no vest...fell off and died, but she had his vest and survived...that just created a trade between an inteligent life who took appropriate precautions for a dumbshit who didn't.

Bad trade.

He'd be a "hero", but also dead.

RichL

Reaction score
Each time I watch one of these, this being a prime example, I just can't fathom the dumb ass who is operating and allowing anybody to sit forward in an unprotected space...especially without proper vests on.

Shaking my head here.

spectras only

Reaction score
Simple, don't ride through the inlet sitting up front in a open bow. The bow comes up very fast by the impact slamming into a large wave and voila flying passengers, not smart by the skipper let those people up front. Softest part for landing a boat hard is at the stern.

In rough seas, the impact velocity can exceed 10 m/s. The resulting pressure on the hull structure can be enormous; up to 8 MPa was measured by Aarsnes in impact testing. This dynamic loading of the bottom of high speed boats is often the factor that limits operation in rough seas. In addition to large vertical accelerations that can cause damage to equipment and payloads and injury to passengers, slamming impacts can often result in serious structural damage.

Last edited:

traquer

Reaction score

Here is an old video, but has a GREAT lesson......... Don’t let your bow get pointed downhill! (Filmed at Jupiter Inlet)

Holy shit! This and the girl video are nuts. I'll stick to Havasu.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Boy I tell ya those are some great "Thinning The Herd" boat videos .... How deep is that channel cause its gotta be a graveyard of boats. Does it ever get calm enough to raise 'em? I'm guessing these are worst conditions at these inlets we're seeing.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Get 4 or 5 of them Wave Tractors work'n together and a plow'n, and I think they could be out done! 😑

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Boy I tell ya those are some great "Thinning The Herd" boat videos .... How deep is that channel cause its gotta be a graveyard of boats. Does it ever get calm enough to raise 'em? I'm guessing these are worst conditions at these inlets we're seeing.

The condition of inlets are always changing due to tides and wind. In both videos you see the same condition..... outgoing tide, winds out of the East heading West, which stacks up the inlets. However, soon as slack tide hits, they become less treacherous in a short time.

Let’s say you were coming home from the Bahamas and you knew conditions were right for a crazy Inlet. You have options. In Miami Dade county, you would use Government Cut, which is the cruise ship Inlet. The same for Broward and Palm Beach counties. Port Everglades and Palm Beach inlets. These inlets are relatively easy when compared to others.

Some might argue..... but too me, Boynton Beach Inlet is the worst. Once you are committed to going in or out,. it is virtually impossible to turn around. It is so easy to get into trouble because you cannot see who is coming,out or in, until you are committed. Last thing you want is to have a boat in front of you..... change their mind.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
First time i came into Haulover i was following another Cigarette and since there were other boats coming out and i made the mistake of slowing down, damn did we get wet. I think Tank was with me that run.

mbrown2

Reaction score
I am amazed that some people don't put vests on the kids in the boat...let alone ride upfront through that mess.
Exactly .... the captain that allows people in the open now in an out of that inlet is negligent

renodaytona

Reaction score
I have watched numerous Haulover videos lots of dumb people for sure. One of the guys that films there did a video about Haulover, it's pretty interestimg. There is one where an MTI slams pretty hard and it made me cringe.

Tank

Reaction score
I love these videos! Been in and out of Haulover a bunch of times and the time we came in on Dan's cig was about the roughest I'd ever seen it but still nothing like these videos. It just stacks up really steep. I always wonder why when the tide is rushing out and there's the on-shore wind people don't just opt to head out of Govn't cut or even go all the way down and out the south end of Biscayne Bay.

This is us running my old gun out a few years back. This is usually how the water is! ;)

Tank

Reaction score
DAAAAAYUM! He straight buried that ME in the beginning and the dude at the end in the Azimut was struggling to get that thing under control.

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
You know what they say...Pictures , or it isn't real.

:)

1598489998966.png

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
Holy shit, the guy that bailed out to get her had a ways to go.

We used to barefoot in the San Gabriel river in Los Alamitos, and it could be hairy timing the surf as you came around from Alamitos bay. That, and dodging surfers. Yikes!

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Love watching haulover videos.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HST4ME

Reaction score
Lived near there in the mid 90's..seen some fucked up runs go through that inlet.

retaocleg

Reaction score
^^that didn't go full yard sale, but enough to make chuckle.......^^