• Total voters

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Yearly even when I only put 10 hours on the boat

Reactions: DWC

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Yearly.. Why not.. Already at the shop might as well get err done.

4Waters

Reaction score
Every 100hrs or every other year

cofooter

Reaction score
I gotta do my outboard just to be cautious but the pisser has not changed in years, if you don't suck up sand they last a long time.....

Allwaysbroken

Reaction score
Every year, including changing the oil on the cam the drives the fuel pump.

dribble

Reaction score
The last time I went from 2011 with a new Hardin Marine stainless housing to 2016 and it came out looking great. I'm doing it this year before the season starts.

Riley1

Reaction score
Every other. 496HO. This will be the start of my second season on this one. This will also only be my 4th season with the boat. So not too much history with this method.

redone76

Reaction score
Every other year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Every 18 months on both of my rollbar boats. I carry spares and can change on the water if I have to. On my Nautiques I get a slight warning as the boat will run 10 degrees hotter when the impeller gets tired.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Every year with service . Like said, it us a cheap insurance policy compared to what the damages it can do ....[emoji41][emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DWC

Reaction score
Yearly, before first trip of the year

PlanB

Reaction score
Every other year on the Verado.

farmo83

Reaction score
Every other year. I carry a complete rebuilt kit and spare at all times though.

oldschool

Reaction score
Beginning of every season. Cam driven Magnaflow pump.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Every other year. The 2.4L Mercs tend to go through them faster than their larger brothers.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I have Vessel View Mobile and can see a whole lot of details on both of my engines, water pressure included. I usually check it at the beginning of each day. As long as there is about 32PSI of water pressure at idle, good to go. If that number starts to drop, it's impeller time.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Only when it breaks, by ingesting gravel or rocks.
But it is a ditch pump.

Dan'l

USMC2010

Reaction score
Every other year, I've never seen one degraded at that length of time.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Every other year. I have a crank driven brass sea-water pump, it’s a 502 Volvo. The housing is circular, so the impeller doesn’t conform to an oblong shape like the mercury pumps. If I had a merc sea water pump with the oval shaped housing I’d do it every year, they like to shed teeth and blow apart after sitting all winter stuck in one position

Icky

Reaction score
Every year, use the old one as the back up as it still is in good condition

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...I have a rubber impeller still in its original plastic bag...am I going to use it...hmmm???...maybe not since it is probably 14 years old...

...Glenwood has lold me..If you bend the blades and there is no sign of cracking...use it...hmmm???...Dunno???...

Socalx09

Reaction score
What are you guys paying for an impeller service assuming you don’t do it on your own?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I have Vessel View Mobile and can see a whole lot of details on both of my engines, water pressure included. I usually check it at the beginning of each day. As long as there is about 32PSI of water pressure at idle, good to go. If that number starts to drop, it's impeller time.
That’s bad ass to know, being i just bought a VVM, can’t wait to get it and play with it.

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
That’s bad ass to know, being i just bought a VVM, can’t wait to get it and play with it.

Just bought one too, awesome price right now, I change every other year, 496 mag ho with hardin marine housing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score

It's pretty nice. Gives some peace of mind being able to see exact numbers on things. If you have twin engines, it's a bitch to get set up. Have to get junction boxes and all sorts of cables. Also had to reprogram one of the engines to read as a port engine instead of starboard (or maybe the other way around, can't remember which). All of that fun added about another $500 to that little project. But if it's a single engine, pretty much just plug it in and go.

Chris Lapoint

Reaction score
Yearly on the flatbottom v-drive and I always have an extra one in the boat box
Every Other Year on the wake boat, mostly because it's a pain in the ass since it's also a v-drive the raw water pump is up against the transom/exhaust hoses.

HowardRC

Reaction score
Yearly. The old ones always look fine when they come out, but I just do it for peace of mind.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Every other year. I have a crank driven brass sea-water pump, it’s a 502 Volvo. The housing is circular, so the impeller doesn’t conform to an oblong shape like the mercury pumps. If I had a merc sea water pump with the oval shaped housing I’d do it every year, they like to shed teeth and blow apart after sitting all winter stuck in one position

God the Volvo impellers are SOOOOOO much easier to change.

I've never had a Mercruiser impeller come apart after sitting all winter.. or ever. This last one I changed last week was in the worst I've ever seen on any of my boats. It just had some visibly worn edges. I had to stop the boat in the shallows at the mouth of the river last season and sucked in some sand.

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
God the Volvo impellers are SOOOOOO much easier to change.

I've never had one come apart after sitting all winter.. or ever. This last one I changed last week was in the worst I've ever seen on any of my boats. It just had some visibly worn edges. I had to stop the boat in the shallows at the mouth of the river last season and sucked in some sand.

Def a design Merc should copy.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
...I have a rubber impeller still in its original plastic bag...am I going to use it...hmmm???...maybe not since it is probably 14 years old...

...Glenwood has lold me..If you bend the blades and there is no sign of cracking...use it...hmmm???...Dunno???...

Helped a buddy of mine change out his.
Mercruiser direct drive ski Malibu.
He found one in Kingman in stock, but not Bullhead. Looked like it was on the shelf for 15+ years (in the Kingman heat). Greased it and everything, lasted 10 minutes. Came apart like cookie crumbles. Ordered one online, rubber was still very pliable. 4 seasons so far, never a problem. ~35+ hours a year.

Dan'l