WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How often do you wash out your bilge?

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
It's been almost a decade since I washed mine out. So I decided today was the day. I launched without my drain plug in. I putted out a little way and then had a "sinking feeling". Oh shit, I didn't put the drain plug in. Even though @namba860 stamped my paperwork reminding me to so. I turned on the pump and then turned around and made my way toward shore. I turned around right in front of someone, felt like a dick, but I had an emergency. Turns out, the spot I turned in to was his spot, double dick move. I shouted to them that I had a small emergency and would be moving shortly. They took it well. I hopped out the back and put my finger in the dyke so to speak. I tried calling the wife, phone was in the boat. She finally came down and I explained the situation and told her where to find the plug in the truck. She came back empty handed, so I sent her to the market at the Islander (surely they sell stuff like that, not). Again she comes back empty handed. By that time, the gentleman whose spot I stole came over to help. I asked if he would mind putting his finger in my hole and he obliged. (that's for @GRADS ). I got my keys from my wife and hot-footed it for my truck, literally. No shoes, hot asphalt, 50ish yards. Dumbest thing I've done in some time. Hopped in, drove back to the cove (ain't runnin' across that asphalt again) and retrieved the drain plug and wrench from the spot I had told the wife they were in. Ran across the hot sand and into the water. Poor guy thought I was going to have a heart attack, as did I. He pulled out (@GRADS again) and I got it in. I managed to burn my feet to the point where I wondered if I was going to have to go to the Dr. With all that is going on in the world, I guess I got off easy. Won't be docking any time soon as I've lost my ability to scramble.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Never did the plug trick, but I did have a tow boat that started to sink on me right out side the no wake bouys at windsor. The boat had an on board heater that pumped hot block water through a radiator down by the drivers foot well. I got outside the no wake zone, stood on the gass and one of the end caps to the radiator popped off and started dumping all that hot bilge water on the floor of the boat. I was going out solo that day and it was busy at south ramp at windsor so it wasn't a fast retrieval. Flushed the floor and bilge well though.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I let a buddy take my boat and launch it before I got there. Good thing I was only a few minutes behind him because my boat was sitting oddly low in the water. Thank God launch ramp was empty because my cushions were about floating and there was no where to beach it

braindead

Reaction score
How about washing the carpet?
Launched the boat with the flush valve open, made a couple laps around the lake and parked it. Couple hours later go to retrieve something out of the boat and I notice the swim steps a couple inches under water, typically it's an inch above, open the hatch to about see about a foot of water in the bottom of the boat. Carpet was drenched and alternator was half submerged, not the plug but the hole was just as fast filling the boat up.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
It's been almost a decade since I washed mine out. So I decided today was the day. I launched without my drain plug in. I putted out a little way and then had a "sinking feeling". Oh shit, I didn't put the drain plug in. Even though @namba860 stamped my paperwork reminding me to so. I turned on the pump and then turned around and made my way toward shore. I turned around right in front of someone, felt like a dick, but I had an emergency. Turns out, the spot I turned in to was his spot, double dick move. I shouted to them that I had a small emergency and would be moving shortly. They took it well. I hopped out the back and put my finger in the dyke so to speak. I tried calling the wife, phone was in the boat. She finally came down and I explained the situation and told her where to find the plug in the truck. She came back empty handed, so I sent her to the market at the Islander (surely they sell stuff like that, not). Again she comes back empty handed. By that time, the gentleman whose spot I stole came over to help. I asked if he would mind putting his finger in my hole and he obliged. (that's for @GRADS ). I got my keys from my wife and hot-footed it for my truck, literally. No shoes, hot asphalt, 50ish yards. Dumbest thing I've done in some time. Hopped in, drove back to the cove (ain't runnin' across that asphalt again) and retrieved the drain plug and wrench from the spot I had told the wife they were in. Ran across the hot sand and into the water. Poor guy thought I was going to have a heart attack, as did I. He pulled out (@GRADS again) and I got it in. I managed to burn my feet to the point where I wondered if I was going to have to go to the Dr. With all that is going on in the world, I guess I got off easy. Won't be docking any time soon as I've lost my ability to scramble.
Ouch! Note: corks in the globe box!!!

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Back when we had the regatta...we stuck the plug in from the inside...On a regular basis, my job as a kid was crawl back there, pull the plug...squeeze out what I could from the carpet and when the boat was empty, put the plug back in. (This only works when you're on plane).

Icky

Reaction score
Ouch, I had a friend do that back when we were young and dumb, circled in the no wake zone on plane till we could get the trailer back on the ramp.

I keep mine (3) in a pocket in the boat along with 2 spares and the wrench wrapped in a microfiber towel so it doesn't stain the vinyl

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So how does the bilge look now?

I keep a spare in the boat and one in the truck.

DLC

Reaction score
I had a old mastercraft and I had 4-5 plugs stashed in the boat for just in case! I knew it would happen to me, it was just a matter of time.....

thank god the toon doesn’t have one!

at least the bilge is clean

Rotten deal

Reaction score
Im still lost at not washing in ten years. I put cold water laundry soap in mine every so often and add some water for the tow to lake . Before i get there pull over and let out water . Then when back home spray out residue and wipe down engines and headers. I have forgot the plug once before though.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I had a old mastercraft and I had 4-5 plugs stashed in the boat for just in case! I knew it would happen to me, it was just a matter of time.....

thank god the toon doesn’t have one!

at least the bilge is clean
That's one of the things cool about our new toon, don't have to remember a plug!! 43 years boating with the wife and it was her job to ask "is the plug in"????? Sometimes it pissed me off and one time I said THANKS!! :eek:

Berdes

Reaction score
I use self bailers. Duck bill or ball type. Never have to worry about drain plug, never had one fail or foul with debris.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I never take them out. Or I put them in at home and leave them in

I thought people bought toons to avoid this problem. ;)

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
So to protect the burnt feet, I bought some water shoes. Thank sweet baby Jesus. Wife found this in the sole this morning.
9F796E51-E34E-4B39-BC74-2ADB964042BA.jpeg

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
So to protect the burnt feet, I bought some water shoes. Thank sweet baby Jesus. Wife found this in the sole this morning. View attachment 886571
We've all been there with those damn bilge plugs..... I don't take mine out anymore. Launched once on first boat, drove the rig to park and came back to a slowly sinking boat. [Thank goodness for a strong bilge pump] I freaked seeing it sink so grabbed the plug in boats glovebox and jumped into 58 degree water at dock to screw it in. Brrrrrrr

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Seen a guy in a 28'+ boat, at the channel, pumping out the bilge, it was pure Atf. Bright red. He was letting in lake water to clear up the mess. Power steering failure? Idk...Classy

I figured it was time to go. Didn't want an oil stripe on my hoopty.

Dan'l

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Just last week when I was out with the girls. We are getting ready to put the boat on the trailer, and there's a guy and a couple gals launching. New boat, brand new fenders and lines, obviously very new to boating. I told one of my girls "if you ever see this type of situation, just stay back and let them get out of he way before trying to load the boat. Well, the dude gets the boat to the dock, then gets out to pull the truck to the parking lot. Just as his truck clears the top of the ramp, the bilge kicks on! I knew the girls with him would have less clues than he did, so I just waited until he came back down. "Hey bro, your bilge is running. Did you put the plug in?" PANIC sets in instantly! Strips to his undies, and in the water he goes! He got the plug in, it pumped the rest of the water out and all was well.. He near gave me a kiss for telling him!

Halvecto

Reaction score
Been there. Done that.

BTW, The dry detergent mentioned in this thread works. Shake a little in the bilge while at home. Even with a little water that gets in from washing, getting in after skiing, etc., it cleans it out and dilutes the oil/grease.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
And to wrap up my vacation, I was supposed to be at work today. I thought I had requested the day off. I'll be looking for the investigation notice in the mail.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
In ~30 yrs of boating, I had never done this, until last tuesday.

We were idling out of the no wake, and my wife wanted to make sure her ski was under the hatch. It was, along with a shit ton of water. Fortunately, I keep the plugs in the boat. I flipped all 3 bilge pumps on, jumped out and started trying to get them in. I'm really glad I didn't drop one. :) I also learned that my Port bildge pump doesnt work (ive never had to use them), so that sponson stayed wet a little while. :)

Riverryder

Reaction score
Does havasu not require your drain plugs to be out? Vegas does. You have to pull it out on the way home. Also sure if a ranger is behind me on the way to the lake and sees it in he’ll stop me they are Sticklers about that at mead.
I always put it in as I take straps off. Once boat is ready to launch I check again, before I back in the water I check again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Does havasu not require your drain plugs to be out? Vegas does. You have to pull it out on the way home. Also sure if a ranger is behind me on the way to the lake and sees it in he’ll stop me they are Sticklers about that at mead.
I always put it in as I take straps off. Once boat is ready to launch I check again, before I back in the water I check again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, they do. Otherwise, it would have been in. I won't be pulling it in the future.