WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How To Fix Tennis Elbow

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
It’s killing me, both elbows. I’ve tried the bands, I can’t take this much ibuprofen. All the fixes online don’t fit into my lifestyle, basically sit and do nothing. Help, thanks.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
It’s killing me, both elbows. I’ve tried the bands, I can’t take this much ibuprofen. All the fixes online don’t fit into my lifestyle, basically sit and do nothing. Help, thanks.
What aggravates it? I used to get it something awful after a busy day on the water. Honestly, I never found relief short of not doing the thing that was causing it.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I've never had one, but it seems like everyone I know is into cortisone shots.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Golf or tennis?
Been there. Done that. Twice.
When you're fed up..... ( sounds like you are) with all these witch doctor cures.....
You know what you need to do.
Its not fun. But it works perfectly. Problem gone.
Its what I did.....

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Maybe it wasn’t tennis elbow, but I used to get pain in my forearm and wrist area when I was playing a lot of golf. Buddy said he wore an athletic brace/band/strap which held the tendons in place, within the grooves where they were suppose to be. That did help and brought me some relief. Surprisingly, those flare ups have gone away.

500bbc

Reaction score
Try a Tommie Copper compression sleeve.
I always thought that shit was snake oil until a friend gave me one for my knee.

sirbob

Reaction score
The only way to fix is stop doing what made it hurt !

I got it last year - I thought it was an exercise I was doing at the gym. It took me a while after stopping that to realize it was from the way I was holding my phone and spending too much time scrolling bullshit.

I stopped doing that and it went away in a week or two.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I get it from lifting, If I over do it, and my elbow hurts, it’s two weeks off. No way to get past it.

4Waters

Reaction score
That sucks, I unfortunately can't give you any different advice than has already been given. I rarely get tennis elbow but when I do the bands work.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Look up some natural anti-inflammatories. Anything from seasonings to supplements. There's a billion different types, and some may work for you. You may also find that something in your diet, like caffeine or sodium, may aggrevate it.
Turmeric is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. And cutting back caffeine. 😩

Ice 20 mins 3 times a day and stretch the muscles in your arms and shoulders. And rest from whatever repetitive motion you’re doing.

4Waters

Reaction score
Turmeric is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. And cutting back caffeine. 😩

Ice 20 mins 3 times a day and stretch the muscles in your arms and shoulders. And rest from whatever repetitive motion you’re doing.
What kind of repetitive motions might cause tennis elbow? Asking for a friend of course.🤣

TrollerDave

Reaction score
What kind of repetitive motions might cause tennis elbow? Asking for a friend of course.🤣
Living in an Amish Paradise?

1684029868524.gif

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Are you sure it is tennis elbow? I've worked my way into something akin to Carpal Tunnel except it is the tendon that passed through the elbow. My arm (and elbow) will ache for days, my ring and pinky finger will also go numb, especially if I sleep on my back.

Went to see an orthopedic doctor and he gave me specific stretching exercises to do that stretch the tendon and relieve some of the stress on the nerves in my elbow.

It took some time but it works. I've learned to better support my arms when typing and using the computer. But when it flares up I have to stand in my office doing goofy exercises... LOL...

Last edited:

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
Tennis elbow is from extension golfers elbow is from flexion. Like said above lifting is the main source of pain for me now. Back when we used to free climb poles (no safety till your working position) golfers elbow was popular. A shop rag and electrical tape was an all day brace. Keep your wrists straight. Many people when working biceps and dumb bell shoulder flys roll their wrists inward and outward. Upright rows seem to aggravate it as well. Obviously there's other things that do it but try a wrist brace when you work out and strap the tendon down as well I also swear by this horse liniment I have been using it for decades for both maintenance and post orthopedic surgeries. Works great on horses too. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_7363.jpeg
    IMG_7363.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7364.jpeg
    IMG_7364.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 21

wzuber

Reaction score
There's been some very good suggestions here so far. Diet can and will exacerbate a seemingly small problem. Removing caffeine and alcohol for a week or 2 will certainly aid in bringing you some relief I'm sure. What could it hurt?

Just a suggestion here-
There may be something else going on here and this is the first signs. Have you talked to your G.P. DR. about it? This could be symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis starting within your body. R.A. effects (attacts) the body in a symmetrical fashion. Your G.P. will need to do blood tests to look for the markers to verify for certain. I hope it's something else but you never know. Best to start the process of elimination. R.A. is very painful and as a result quite frustrating. I've had it for over 13 yrs. now. It started with foot and leg pain. I ignored the pain and struggled along with motrin for about 2 yrs before getting diagnosed and some real help/relief. Good luck, I hope you find a cure very soon to your pain. Living in pain is not living.

joecfd1

Reaction score
It definitely sux. The last time I had it was the first day of a 5 day long range fishing trip. Try to real in a 100# tuna with tennis elbow. 🤣Time was the only thing that helped mine. My wife uses Stopain with pretty good success.

stopain.jpg

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Well I don’t play tennis or golf😂 Last time I had it was years ago when running a Cat 416 backhoe with wobble sticks for the controls. I’ve started lifting heavy weights again and that’s probably what’s aggravating it. Maybe try wearing the straps while lifting. I have some Colchicine for my knee, two a day for five day, I wonder if that would help. Really want to keep lifting. Thanks everyone.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Come to think of it. Over the last couple months I’ve been splitting a lot of firewood. That’s over with so we will see what happens.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Well I don’t play tennis or golf😂 Last time I had it was years ago when running a Cat 416 backhoe with wobble sticks for the controls. I’ve started lifting heavy weights again and that’s probably what’s aggravating it. Maybe try wearing the straps while lifting. I have some Colchicine for my knee, two a day for five day, I wonder if that would help. Really want to keep lifting. Thanks everyone.
You might need to ease into the heavy weights if it’s been a while and your “a man of a certain age”. Your ego says you can, but your body just laughs and says “Yeah, I don’t think so.” 😂

500bbc

Reaction score
You might need to ease into the heavy weights if it’s been a while and your “a man of a certain age”. Your ego says you can, but your body just laughs and says “Yeah, I don’t think so.” 😂
Or it says fuck you, you won't stop then I'm stopping you! Then you detach your bicep tendon.

4Waters

Reaction score
There's a couple older (not old, just retired LAPD) guys at my gym that lift with the bands on, these guys are pretty good sized and lift pretty heavy. I asked them about that and they said it helps.

jbird

Reaction score
Read up on the peptide BPC-157. It has healed several issues for me, even a torn shoulder rotator.
It must be the injectable version, the pills or sprays do not work

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Try an ointment with Capsaicin. Helped my elbows.

Javajoe

Reaction score
I had it from gym and lifting. Got real bad trying to do dumb bell curls. Laid off for a long time. Didn’t help. Tried bands, ointments and shots. Finally got an MRI and had a tendon tear. I got surgery on the elbow tendon and it is 100%.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I have it on my left elbow from golfing. CopperFit brace for starters and my trainer has me do 50 + band tricep pulls. The blood flow from the triceps down, helps repair the muscle. Also watch how you drive too.

kurtis500

Reaction score
You need the arm band with the air or gelpad that pushes in to the muscles just below the elbow. And you need to pull it down tight!

I almost went pro-am racquetball and had one of the best backhand shots at ASU. Literally matched my forehand mph. I developed tennis elbow and could hardly move some of my muscles. I was told by a sports ortho I had to wear this if I continued playing. For the next 20 years of playing recreationally I wore it every single time and NEVER had tennis elbow again...ever.

The arm band has to apply acute pressure between the muscles on the upper/outer forearm or it wont work. regular straps around the arm are useless. And again, it has to be on tight.

Andy B.

Reaction score
Read up on the peptide BPC-157. It has healed several issues for me, even a torn shoulder rotator.
It must be the injectable version, the pills or sprays do not work
I'm going to ask my Dr about this thanks.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
FWIW
My ex was a college swimmer and had jacked up elbows etc. etc.
I was having issues in mine from years of trowel work.
She gave me one of those compression bands you put just below your elbow, & explained how it pushes/ holds the tendon over so it's not getting the 'ZING' pain.
It def. worked / helped . . . . it's not a 'cure', but it helped mellow it out while I did other things like ice, anti-inflammatory etc.
I kept it in case it ever flares up again.

81eliminator

Reaction score
Physical therapy

jet496

Reaction score
I had tennis elbow for years back in the early 80's when I used a screwdriver all day. The twisting motion was the cause. Then the screw gun was invented & it was able to heal. Pretty much the only solution is to quit doing whatever it is that aggravates it. I did find the band on the forearm helped a lot.

I did try multiple cortisone shots & the prescribed physical therapy but none of that helped me. I know of a few people that had great results with the cortisone shots though.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Or just do what I have done (wear the band for the last 6 years. LOL).