WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How to remove paint over spray

jmeads

Reaction score
I bought a boat and the knuckle head owner painted it with no prep or care to mask off and or protect the inside. I have over spray all over the gel coat. He used automotive paint. I have tried lacquer thinner and acetone with no luck. I do not want to try and sand off. Any suggestions for paint remover that will not damage the gel coat. Thanks in advance.

lenmann

Reaction score
Easy off oven cleaner spray? Its the go to for removing hand painted CF numbers. Might be worth a try.

But if the knucklehead used a modern paint system (hardener) you're likely stuck with cut and buff.

jmeads

Reaction score
Easy off oven cleaner spray? Its the go to for removing hand painted CF numbers. Might be worth a try.

But if the knucklehead used a modern paint system (hardener) you're likely stuck with cut and buff.

Thanks for the tip. The over spray is very heavy, not like a mist so I do not think the oven cleaner will cut through it. I will try this week and report back. I think I need some heavy duty stuff like a chemical paint stripper/ remover. I will post my results with the oven cleaner. Thanks for the suggestion.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I've had good luck with mineral spirits on a few things with over spray.

JD D05

Reaction score
Maybe brake cleaner? I don't know if it would work or not or ruin anything...

jmeads

Reaction score
For those that are interested. In tried the oven cleaner spray and it work very well on the light over spray. Spray it, wait 15 minutes and wipe it off. It did not put a dent into the heavy over spray. I will be trying the reducer as a member suggest on an other forum. He suggested using the paint reducer as a way to clean up the over spray. More to follow.