WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Howard 288 Sport Deck Build

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Well, looks like we may be getting our boat sooner than originally expected! Here's the hull design. Maybe going in the mold next. :D
image.png

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Thank you!
The design process has been a lot more stressful than I expected. We bought the Lavey in 2004, used, so it was already done. When we drove out to see it, I wasn't sure about the purple flames. When we saw it in person, we loved it, and still do. But not something I'd have designed if given the option yet, someone had the balls to do it.

It's quickly feeling real. At the Havasu boat show, we left there in shock, it didn't really sink in.
I'm going with the Merc Racing 565. As a family boat, no need to go over 80-85mph. Our Lavey does 65-75 depending on the load, and that's been plenty fast for us. I have other fast toys to make the adrenalin flow when I need a fix.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you!
The design process has been a lot more stressful than I expected. We bought the Lavey in 2004, used, so it was already done. When we drove out to see it, I wasn't sure about the purple flames. When we saw it in person, we loved it, and still do. But not something I'd have designed if given the option yet, someone had the balls to do it.

It's quickly feeling real. At the Havasu boat show, we left there in shock, it didn't really sink in.
I'm going with the Merc Racing 565. As a family boat, no need to go over 80-85mph. Our Lavey does 65-75 depending on the load, and that's been plenty fast for us. I have other fast toys to make the adrenalin flow when I need a fix.

I love the colors and scheme. What are you thinking for billet colors? Black, polished or?

I bet you stare at this rendering non-stop, in anticipation. I would! Ha!

Congrats on the new family boat. I look forward to following this build. :thumbsup

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
I love the colors and scheme. What are you thinking for billet colors? Black, polished or?

I bet you stare at this rendering non-stop, in anticipation. I would! Ha!

Congrats on the new family boat. I look forward to following this build. :thumbsup

Yes, I have been staring at it a lot. Mike came up with the graphic, and I just suggested colors. I think the lines of the 288 are gorgeous and wanted the graphic to follow those lines. I saw a two tone silver metallic and electric blue 288 in the Howard factory that looked great. I knew I wanted the two tone silver too.

As for the billet hardware, likely polished. Same with the gauge bezels and other billet parts.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Design and colors look good:thumbsup

One thing stands out to me.
The deck graphic where it goes from the nose aft.
image.jpg

The rest of the design has a sweet accent black line that progressively gets thicker everywhere else on the boat but that section.just something that caught my eye.

looking forward to watching this come together.:thumbsup
And good to see more Howard builds being posted!

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Design and colors look good:thumbsup

One thing stands out to me.
The deck graphic where it goes from the nose aft.

The rest of the design has a sweet accent black line that progressively gets thicker everywhere else on the boat but that section.just something that caught my eye.

looking forward to watching this come together.:thumbsup
And good to see more Howard builds being posted!

Thanks Gelcoater, I had talked to Gene yesterday about making sure we had a clean looking spot for the AZ numbers, right under the rail, that likely would change the front area slightly. I'll keep what you said in mind.
I also haven't worked with Mike on the deck and interior graphic yet.

Thanks again.

River918

Reaction score
Congrats! I look forward to watching this thread as the build comes along. I put a deposit down on one of these to be built this winter...

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
So when do we get MOAR PICS!?!?!?!?

I know, I can't wait to see it out of the mold! I spoke to Gene was last week, he got back in town the day I left town. He said they were getting ready to spray color by end of the week (last week). I had planned to go out there this week to finalize options. I'm hoping they took some pictures of the taping process. Mike said it was going to be a pain in the ass, lots of fine lines.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Should be beautiful when completed love the graphics you picked out. What engine again?

relaxalot

Reaction score
Thank you!

I think it is a good motor and a good choice. You will mainly be cruising around but there will still be enough speed to wind tunnel your face if you want to. Good looking boat!

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Do you guys have any experience with this product? My past boats have always had rails, inside handles, or bimini top bars that I could tie off fenders to. I saw something similar on several new boats to this:
I see that the new design has a soft tip, to avoid scratching boat or bezel around the hole.

Phender-Pro_02.jpg

Scott E

Reaction score
Do you guys have any experience with this product? My past boats have always had rails, inside handles, or bimini top bars that I could tie off fenders to. I saw something similar on several new boats to this:
I see that the new design has a soft tip, to avoid scratching boat or bezel around the hole.

View attachment 490043

No experience with that specific product but on our Sportdeck we went with no bow rails and have 3 regular cleats and 3 pin cleats down each side. We use the regular cleats for tie off and the pin cleats for fenders.

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Stopped by Howard today and met with Mike and Gene. I also saw the inside of my boat's hull, as expected, it's in the mold. Taping starting on the deck soon. I can't wait to see it out of the mold!

IMG_9884.jpg
Another layer of core and matting going down.
IMG_9882.jpg

BUSTI

Reaction score
She's out of the mold, Mike just sent me a few pictures this morning....We LOVE how it came out!

View attachment 496313 View attachment 496314 View attachment 496315 View attachment 496316 View attachment 496317 View attachment 496318 A section of the bow and stern will be capped, the gelcoat graphic will be revised a bit on the inside bow areas of the sponsons.

Oh fudge off! That thing is so badass. What a great color selection. Top notch. Congrats. Keep us updated.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Great looking graphics and a great choice on the build. Gotta be excited to see the progress.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Wow beautiful. So how long did he say it would take to build from order to delivery?

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Wow beautiful. So how long did he say it would take to build from order to delivery?

Production is 3-4 months after they start. But getting a production slot can take a lot longer. When I ordered at the Havasu show, the production slot I got was August start, November-December delivery.

Howard28

Reaction score
Looks bad ass man congrates. :thumbsup You will be happy with the 565 if that's what end up choosing.

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Will she be done in time for the Regatta?
That's the plan.
We'll see as it gets closer. I know how these things go. I'll take it "right" rather than right now. If it's not ready, I may crash the party in my Lavey. I won't sell it until the Howard is done.

tony

Reaction score
Great looking boat! Looking forward too seeing the progress of your build!!!:thumbsup

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
By far my favorite Howard thus far! Absolutely beautiful!

Thank you SD Broker! We're excited to see it in person. We may stop by on our way to Bass Lake on Wednesday, if so, I'll snap some more pictures.