WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Howard 288 Sport Deck Build

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
More pics!

We stopped by on our way to Bass Lake last week. They were in process of capping the bow and stern.
I can see why a full cap costs big $$

image.jpg

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Looks AMAZING!!!

Thanks Chris. I assume your boat's silver and charcoal colors will be similar and be metallic?
Until today, after seeing parts of the hull buffed out, I didn't realize how good those shades of gray metallic would look, under the clear gel coat. I heard they'll pop even more in sunlight.

The elusive "windshield" 288 was there today, but the windshield was removed just before I arrived... Haha. It's a customer's boat, and has had some time on the water.

Here's that boat... Without the windshield, but you can see where and how it mounts.
image.jpg

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I assume your boat's silver and charcoal colors will be similar and be metallic?
Until today, after seeing parts of the hull buffed out, I didn't realize how good those shades of gray metallic would look, under the clear gel coat. I heard they'll pop even more in sunlight.

The elusive "windshield" 288 was there today, but the windshield was removed just before I arrived... Haha. It's a customer's boat, and has had some time on the water.

Here's that boat... Without the windshield, but you can see where and how it mounts.
View attachment 505349

Yes the silver will be metallic for sure and I am assuming the charcoal will be after seeing yours, I will be confirming that today. Your boat is going to look amazing in the sun!!

I am looking forward to seeing a few 288's with windshield's at the regatta. I like the pics I have seen!

Devious_Chris

Reaction score
Thanks Chris.
Mike was taping your deck's graphic when I was there today. Looks great!

Thanks! I'm getting excited!!! Did you see the boat they added the windshield on??? I got pics but would love to hear your thoughts if you saw it. Feel free to pm

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm getting excited!!! Did you see the boat they added the windshield on??? I got pics but would love to hear your thoughts if you saw it. Feel free to pm

Yes, one side was on, billet brackets weren't yet installed. I think it looks great. It's not for me, I'm getting the wind deflectors because I like to be able to easily reach over to dock or climb over the gunwale.

Devious_Chris

Reaction score
Yes, one side was on, billet brackets weren't yet installed. I think it looks great. It's not for me, I'm getting the wind deflectors because I like to be able to easily reach over to dock or climb over the gunwale.

Makes sense..... I think it will work good for us. Thanks for the info! I'm going to pm you with some questions so I don't clutter your thread

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Thanks. Nothing since my visit and pics from 8/31. Boat may be done on a month, rigging should be done next week, motor goes in next.

Nice! Looking forward to your feedback on the 565. Did you go standard blue?

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Nice! Looking forward to your feedback on the 565. Did you go standard blue?

Yes, otherwise, it's not a "Blue Motor" haha.
Seriously though, not worth the extra grand to got it in silver or orange.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Yes, otherwise, it's not a "Blue Motor" haha.
Seriously though, not worth the extra grand to got it in silver or orange.

I feel the same way. A grand for when it might be open occasionally. Up in the air between the 565 and 600 still. The 565 has so much more technology compared. Should run great and be easy on fuel. The DTS is really nice. So smooth. Did you go standard XR or with the sport XR lower?

the510

Reaction score
What is 1K on top of the 200k your already spending...... I think it'd look great with silver or orange!

Runs2rch

Reaction score
What is 1K on top of the 200k your already spending...... I think it'd look great with silver or orange!

You just said it. Looks. 1k buys quite a bit of fuel :D

How often are you sitting looking?

Singleton

Reaction score
1k buys fuel for a couple years. While it will look cool, can always be done later

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
I feel the same way. A grand for when it might be open occasionally. Up in the air between the 565 and 600 still. The 565 has so much more technology compared. Should run great and be easy on fuel. The DTS is really nice. So smooth. Did you go standard XR or with the sport XR lower?

Standard XR, Mike said the boat likes it better. The sport master has a higher X dimension and is designed for 90mph plus.

Mike ordered a Maxus 28 for me try. They hadn't tried one on a 288 with a 565. The 600 hits the rev limiter with that prop. My spare will probably be a Bravo 28.

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score

Another problem would have been the lead-time. I didn't lock into the 565 until about 10 days ago. The motor is going in next week. If was going to do it, I'd go with Silver, with some less conspicuous orange accents.. Maybe braided hose ends, or the "565 HP" on the intake cover.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Coming along great. I'm loving this build. Question: What are the 3 clear hoses going into the bilge (center sponson)?

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
Standard XR, Mike said the boat likes it better. The sport master has a higher X dimension and is designed for 90mph plus.

Mike ordered a Maxus 28 for me try. They hadn't tried one on a 288 with a 565. The 600 hits the rev limiter with that prop. My spare will probably be a Bravo 28.

Hydro p5x 30

Runs2rch

Reaction score
2016 Howard 28 SCS closed bow cat with sport master -2 lower
Gene sent me a Maximus 28 = 83 mph
I just put on the p5x 30 = 90 mph
roll over and hole shot nearly identical and p5x should be easier on the drive

Are you running the 565 also?

River918

Reaction score
View attachment 508850

Is that an on-board battery charger on the transom? I only ask because I'm going to put one on mine and was curious where they would mount it..

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Drain hoses that take the water from people sitting on the engine hatch in wet bathing suits and sends it to the bilge as opposed to just running down the inside of the transom.

Thank you. That's attention to detail I can really appreciate. :thumbsup

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score

I'm running the same 5 blade and I know you will be satisfied with the efficiency. 28 is also my back up. Good luck!

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Getting close...should be done in time to take it out a few times for the best boating time of the year.

What are you doing for a trailer?

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
is there any purpose to the seat backs other than they look cool as hell? I cant wait to see this beast done. Gonna be sweet.

Yes, I believe they give strength to the seat, and allow for the seats to have a thinner profile.