WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Howard splash of American Offshore?

Dalton

Reaction score
Noticing the older Howard's cats have similar lines to some American offshore models? Are these models well regarded?

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Noticing the older Howard's cats have similar lines to some American offshore models? Are these models well regarded?

I have a 2000 Howard cat. Great boat, very solid. I have heard they are heavier then AO's so that's why they ride better. I can honestly say I can run with bigger boats in the havasu chop with no problem. Howard used the 26' cat as their starting point for there deck boat which everyone knows is a bad motha. If you ask bob Teague he says he loves them.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well technically it's a splash of a fire hawk.. Which was a splash of a talon.. The American offshore was a splash of the talon I believe. They are all real similar if not the same.

Dean over at DWB Motorsports has the mold now and this is the last of the Howard cats. I was told by his shop employee that this will be the last one and they are cutting up the deck mold and updating it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438378446.353717.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438378455.318028.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438378463.616055.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438378473.021268.jpg

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
WOOF....That is a nice looking gel scheme on that cat RD. A question for you. You say "that this is the last of the Howard cats" in your post. Do you know if Mike is tooling a smaller deckboat in the Howard 'skunkwerks', perhaps using a shortened version of the proven Sportdeck/SDS/288 hull?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I know he's working on a few projects.. I'm not sure if he is doing a small deck or not.. I would prefer to see him making some CC's out if the 28 and 36 bullets!

Chestah Cheetah

Extra Medium
Reaction score
I know he's working on a few projects.. I'm not sure if he is doing a small deck or not.. I would prefer to see him making some CC's out if he 28 and 36 bullets!

This is was my fantasy after I sold my Bullet! A 28 center console with the Bullet bottom! :tbi

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Well technically it's a splash of a fire hawk.. Which was a splash of a talon.. The American offshore was a splash of the talon I believe. They are all real similar if not the same.

Dean over at DWB Motorsports has the mold now and this is the last of the Howard cats. I was told by his shop employee that this will be the last one and they are cutting up the deck mold and updating it.

View attachment 423754

View attachment 423755

View attachment 423756

View attachment 423757

Noooooo!!!! I love that boat the way it is. Why cut it up? :thumbsdown

Joker

Reaction score
I like everything about it except for the open bow. Cats imho look so much better all glass in the front. More of a hot rod look in lieu of a family boat you can't use to its full potential since you're worrying about someone flying out up front.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score

View attachment 423754

View attachment 423755

View attachment 423756

View attachment 423757
Does he have a price for that one the way it is?
Noooooo!!!! I love that boat the way it is. Why cut it up? :thumbsdown
No not the boat the mold.
I like everything about it except for the open bow. Cats imho look so much better all glass in the front. More of a hot rod look in lieu of a family boat you can't use to its full potential since you're worrying about someone flying out up front.
I agree with you on the look but the older I get the more I want an open bow.

Joker

Reaction score
Does he have a price for that one the way it is?

No not the boat the mold.

I agree with you on the look but the older I get the more I want an open bow.

Let's trade.[emoji106] I think you'll regret it like Walt did.

hallett21

Reaction score
Why would you cut up that mold?? What happens when someone says "hey I want it with the old deck"? Makes me think of Hallett and the 240 vs the 255. There is still a large number of people who prefer the 240 deck. That boat looks badass with that gel!

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Why would you cut up that mold?? What happens when someone says "hey I want it with the old deck"? Makes me think of Hallett and the 240 vs the 255. There is still a large number of people who prefer the 240 deck. That boat looks badass with that gel!

Most people want the newest model out. That's why Howard sold the molds because everyone wanted the deckboat.
I think he's keeping the bottom and putting a windshield on it. I heard this before DS so it might have changed. Btw He's got DCB and Howard's old gel guy working for him.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

I agree. To me it seems like builders want the latest out on the water. Talking with Jerry it sounds like he thinks the 24, 27, and 30 look old. Howards and Halletts with good colors that are clean age very well. Our 2004 210 still looks new.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
The 22 Howard is a 24 Schiada bottom. Along with the Vaugh. Then the bullets were longer versions of that hull from what I was told.

So basically Schiada invented boats. Lol.

BamBam

Reaction score
The 22 Howard is a 24 Schiada bottom. Along with the Vaugh. Then the bullets were longer versions of that hull from what I was told.

The Vaughan is supposedly a little different (i.e. not a direct splash) The bottom was re-worked, but the Howard is a short 24 Schiada. The Hocking is also a copy of that boat.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how many remember this, but in the early 1970s, Leonard made a one-off custom flat-deck 22 foot Schiada using the blocked-off 24 foot bottom mold. The boat was owned and campaigned quite successfully for a couple of seasons in POPBRA races on the west by the Vogel family (Bill Sr., Billy Jr. and Bobby) from Arcadia. The 22, called Toad Again, was powered by a MerCruiser Racing 482 c.i./475 HP engine and a number three speedmaster drive. The reason the boat had to be a 22-footer was to fit in a specific POPBRA class at that time. Top speed was in the mid-70 mph range.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score

Cutting the bow open on a cat makes about as much sense as a breast reduction. :D

When I was a kid, we had 19' and 18' jet boats in the river house garage. Both were closed bows that 4 kids and 2 adults squeezed into. Family boats. :rolleyes:D

Look. this one didn't even have a swim step!

IMG_0006.jpg