WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Howard V-drives

old man on the lake

Reaction score
I dunno about offered use.. LOL They offered to sell them to him. I believe he's still kicking around the idea of picking them up.

If I can make it out there that weekend we'll definately stop by. :)

RD

I heard Gene will lay one up stage 1 for 16,000.

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
This one has required me to make a blast plate to handle the increased prop wash from the increased HP. Hope to be testing it on Thanksgiving. :thumbsup

Attachments

• 4th of July 141.jpg
    4th of July 141.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,017
  • krazy bitch.jpg
    krazy bitch.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 967
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,037
  • DSC_0152.jpg
    DSC_0152.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 971

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You made that blast plate yourself Glenn?

You have a sheet metal bender? Just curious how you made it?

Incidentally I noticed the "writing on the wall" so to speak.. Center exhaust on the Schiada?

RD

BobbyB

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a dipshit; what is the purpose of a blast plate? Is it to prevent the rudder from being "blasted" off?

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
This one has required me to make a blast plate to handle the increased prop wash from the increased HP. Hope to be testing it on Thanksgiving. :thumbsup

How do you add that blast plate to the bottom?
What is it made of?

Thanks,

Brent

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a dipshit; what is the purpose of a blast plate? Is it to prevent the rudder from being "blasted" off?

Prop cavitation eats away at the bottom of the boat.. And god forbid you throw a blade it'll go through the bottom of the boat. It's primarily to protect the bottom of the boat from being literally eroded away from propwash (higher HP boats).

What is it made of?

Thanks,

Brent

Router out the keel of the boat, thicken up the inside if necesarry and through bolt the plate. :) Prime Marine can do this for you. :) .

RD

.boatpoor

Reaction score
Prop cavitation eats away at the bottom of the boat.. And god forbid you throw a blade it'll go through the bottom of the boat. It's primarily to protect the bottom of the boat from being literally eroded away from propwash (higher HP boats).

Router out the keel of the boat, thicken up the inside if necesarry and through bolt the plate. :) Prime Marine can do this for you. :) .

RD

Great info Dave, I think you hit the nail on the head.:D

500bbc

Reaction score
Ron at Bad Attitude does 'em too.
They won't stop an ear off a prop though they are very narrow right at the strut.

BP what are you bringing next weekend? Just the Brummet?

BobbyB

Reaction score

RD

I'm pretty sure that my boat has one, I'll verify tonight when I get to Parker; I wonder if it was added after, or if it came from spectra that way...........

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that my boat has one, I'll verify tonight when I get to Parker; I wonder if it was added after, or if it came from spectra that way...........

Bobby,

I would be suprised if your Spectra 20 had one of those plates if it was sold as a bone stocker from Spectra.
I would like to add one to the bottom of my Spectra 20.

Brent

BobbyB

Reaction score
Bobby,

I would be suprised if your Spectra 20 had one of those plates if it was sold as a bone stocker from Spectra.
I would like to add one to the bottom of my Spectra 20.

Brent

I will check it out tonight when I get to Parker and let you know? I might just be seeing things in my mind, I dunno. I spent a while underneath there not too long ago changing the prop. ????? We'll see; might just be wishful thinking (as if having it makes it faster :blah:)

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
You made that blast plate yourself Glenn?

You have a sheet metal bender? Just curious how you made it?

Incidentally I noticed the "writing on the wall" so to speak.. Center exhaust on the Schiada?

RD
Yes I make everything myself. Had a friend use his 50 ton press to put in the bend and then its cut and fit as needed till its perfect, then get out the router and the mask. Your pretty observant Dave, that is the Schiada exhaust set up on the drawing board. Blueprints first, then I don't make to many mistakes.:thumbsup

farmo83

Reaction score
A friend of the family's Spectra 24XS has one. I remember seeing and wondering what the hell it was for.

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Yes I make everything myself. Had a friend use his 50 ton press to put in the bend and then its cut and fit as needed till its perfect, then get out the router and the mask. Your pretty observant Dave, that is the Schiada exhaust set up on the drawing board. Blueprints first, then I don't make to many mistakes.:thumbsup
Finally installed, still hopen to make Thanksgiving trials.:moon:

Attachments

• DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 873
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 792

ROBINSON

Reaction score
Why is it that you don't see very many howard V-drives? Actually I can't say that I have ever seen one. I just got a howard 21.

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Heres one:D

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 561

Molassesmaker

Reaction score
I know this a long shot considering this thread was from 2010 but it's worth a shot. 420hoa What were the measurements of your prop for that Howard I'm looking to do some testing so I can dial in a 650hp howard rc

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
I have a 82 Howard 20.6 ft with the 5 degree GN bottom and the Daycruiser Deck. They only ever made a couple like it. Im running a 572 In BBC with a 1471 Mooningham. Running 50% gears with a two blade. Best MPH was 111.

Last edited:

jmeads

Reaction score
I have a 82 Howard 20.6 ft with the 5 degree GN bottom and the Daycruiser Deck. They only ever made a couple like it. Im running a 572 In BBC with a 1471 Mooningham. Running 50% gears with a two blade. Best MPH was 114.

Thats a lot of speed for that boat. Good job. Does it feel stable and that speed?

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
Well to be honest I have never run it that fast. I could bull shit on here. The truth is I had a Nordic Flat I ran for years. I was use to it. I ran it hard all the time. This boat is a completely different animal. To me it is kinda a hand full. The original owner says to just mash the motor and it take a set and haul's ass. I did see it run on a gun maybe 5 years ago. It ran 111 a couple times. The other Howard I posted is a friend of the original owner. Both boats run about the same exact MPH. I will try to get him to come in here and post. He redid the bottom with a new strut. He moved the V-Drive way forward. He got great results.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
To comment on what Dan has said, I bought my 21 Howard new 35 years ago. At first it was just a fun ride at about 80 mph, but as I added power it began to get sketchy until at about 95 mph it was a handful. It did a some chine walking and the prop lifted the transom and caused bow steering. I was probably on the way to getting tossed out, but it threw a prop blade and the sudden imbalance jerked the strut nearly off the bottom. I sought help from Phil Bergeron and he built me a 7.5 deg. strut,( It came with a 10 deg.) and gave me advice on where to mount it, which was 7" forward from the original location. That put the end of the barrel 24" from the transom. The new strut also moved the shaft closer to the bottom. With this mounted, I had to redrill the shaft hole and remount the V drive 13" forward of the original location. This along with some bottom blueprinting did wonders for the handling and I was able to get the boat up to 110 mph. The engine is a 548 ci bbc with a 10:71 blower and superchiller and I run 48% gears with a 11 3/4 X 16 2 blade Menkens prop @ about 6400 rpm's. Sorry for the long winded response, but it took a while to get to this point. PS, I also added a blast plate that I made out of .092" stainless.

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
To comment on what Dan has said, I bought my 21 Howard new 35 years ago. At first it was just a fun ride at about 80 mph, but as I added power it began to get sketchy until at about 95 mph it was a handful. It did a some chine walking and the prop lifted the transom and caused bow steering. I was probably on the way to getting tossed out, but it threw a prop blade and the sudden imbalance jerked the strut nearly off the bottom. I sought help from Phil Bergeron and he built me a 7.5 deg. strut,( It came with a 10 deg.) and gave me advice on where to mount it, which was 7" forward from the original location. That put the end of the barrel 24" from the transom. The new strut also moved the shaft closer to the bottom. With this mounted, I had to redrill the shaft hole and remount the V drive 13" forward of the original location. This along with some bottom blueprinting did wonders for the handling and I was able to get the boat up to 110 mph. The engine is a 548 ci bbc with a 10:71 blower and superchiller and I run 48% gears with a 11 3/4 X 16 2 blade Menkens prop @ about 6400 rpm's. Sorry for the long winded response, but it took a while to get to this point. PS, I also added a blast plate that I made out of .092" stainless.
Thanks for chiming in. I know what you did but not all the details. I just happen to find this thread the other day by accident.

1homeblown

Reaction score
What is it made of?

Thanks,

Brent

IMG_0591.jpg

Here is the blast plate before I installed it on my Schiada flat. I went with aluminum but hard anodized it prior to install.
IMG_1631.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1homeblown

Reaction score
IMG_6202.JPG

You can see where the blast plate was through bolted under what will be the tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
My bucket (19' Howard), is currently set up as an outboard but man, every time I see one of these threads or the bitchen 21' Schiada thread over in the Lounge (Concept Marine build), I think about changing directions with my project. I still have two new stringers to finish up but it would be SOOOO easy to change directions and rebuild my Howard as a V-drive. I probably shouldn't be lurking in this section of the forums. :D

Backlash

Reaction score
That guy is always bashing on Schiadas yet he has one if I'm not mistaken. :D Last time I saw the "Schiada Killer" there was an issue with a stringer....

I thought you had that beautiful 19' v-drive that was black, grey and white with a triple axle trailer? In one picture I saw, it was being towed with a white Silverado and another photo I saw, it was parked next to the big Outerlimits at the Needles show???

Maybe I'm wrong! My wife says that to me all the time so it wouldnt be the first time! :D

vstdispatch

Reaction score
That guy is always bashing on Schiadas yet he has one if I'm not mistaken. :D Last time I saw the "Schiada Killer" there was an issue with a stringer....

I thought you had that beautiful 19' v-drive that was black, grey and white with a triple axle trailer? In one picture I saw, it was being towed with a white Silverado and another photo I saw, it was parked next to the big Outerlimits at the Needles show???

Maybe I'm wrong! My wife says that to me all the time so it wouldnt be the first time! :D

Ya that's me and it's for sale if you know of anyone interested they can call me 562-577-9060

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
Thank You I was home all day and since I figured out how to post pictures...HERE I AM...lol

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Looks good Dan, looks like you've been polishing that thing. I'm going to meet Ray tomorrow and put my boat in his shed until this hurricane passes.

500bbc

Reaction score
That Howard 21 I posted before is now in Ron's stable.
Soon to be gone through and redialed.

61Howard16'

Reaction score
Hi I have a 61 Howard flattbottom and I'd like to re gear the v drive and swap out it's engine I can't get more than 40 out her and if anyone can throw out some gear power and prop specs to get it to jump I'd appreciate it greatly

61Howard16'

Reaction score
I have a 61 howard custom 16' and want to re gear it and set it up to drag some help please ?

sintax

Reaction score
I have a 61 howard custom 16' and want to re gear it and set it up to drag some help please ?

prob not the ideal drag boat, those early boats were really generally setup more for cruising. But like anything in the world, with enough money and balls you can do anything with it. Hows it currently configured? Just upgrading the ancient running gear, and moving the propshaft to get a more modern setup could be a small fortune, not even getting into any questionable hull characteristics that could require a ton of work to make right. Without addressing the running gear and potential hull issues I would not want to ride in it any faster than i'd be willing to jump out of it at speed =)

Backlash

Reaction score
I think this is the second or third time he has asked for advice on setting up this hull. Each time, people have asked for pictures with no response.

There are more knowledgeable people on this website who are more than willing to share advice and help people out. If you keep asking for advice on setup, you have to give us something to work with. Here is what you should do.

Start your own build/rebuild thread. Begin with posting specs on the boat along with some pictures. Tell us what you have so we know how to help.

I know you want to set the boat up to "Drag and run 100mph." You've already stated that in another thread. And twice now, people have said that may not be the best hull for what you're looking to accomplish.

If you still insist on attempting this feat, then give us something to work with my friend. Just my .02.

61Howard16'

Reaction score
I posted pics and the hills already been redone and set up I just want to re gear the vdrive for the 383 sbc in it .

Attachments

• IMG_20190723_183521179_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190723_183521179_HDR.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_20190723_183512647_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190723_183512647_HDR.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20190723_183453287_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190723_183453287_HDR.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 213

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
We have a about 15 flats in my family and they range from early 60's on. It's interesting looking at them in the water next to each other because you can see the evolution of the industry. Early 60's flats are sketchy as hell with power, it doesn't mean that they cant be made to run fast but it takes a lot of money, time and experience with a particular hull because they are all different. Dropping big horse power in a stock 60 year old set up will hurt you or kill you. Set up is more than gears, it's strut angle and placement, cav plates, engine placement, bottom mods etc etc.

61Howard16'

Reaction score
I hear you some one already redid the strut angle re positioned the engine and I had it doing 50 and it rode very nice . Just wanting to know some about the drives gears. Ill just rebuild it and see what I get thanks all

beaverfab

Reaction score
I hear you some one already redid the strut angle re positioned the engine and I had it doing 50 and it rode very nice . Just wanting to know some about the drives gears. Ill just rebuild it and see what I get thanks all
If you want help with the v-drive give me a call JJ shop 254-854-2083 or [email protected]