WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Howard V-drives

rherr

Reaction score
Hey does anybody know how the 21' Howard handles? How do they handle at high speeds with big power?? Don't see many of them set up with blower or turbo motors....

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Get in touch with Danny (DCM) he is building his boats out of the Howard Mold.and has built a few ranging from low power I/O to a high power Jet and V-drive.

78 Continental

Reaction score
The Howards are great boats. They can handle power, but ive heard with stock strut location and angle at a certain higher speed they can be a handful. Guys who have built these things to go fast have done bottom work and strut relocation and strut angle change. How fast are you looking to go? How much power you looking to put at it?

rherr

Reaction score
I'd like to have a 80-90 mph boat, not sure how much power 700-800 HP. I've been looking for a schiada but I found a real good deal on a stock 21' Howard V-drive and it got me thinking. Maybe something I could build on, but just wasn't sure what they could handle...

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
I'd like to have a 80-90 mph boat, not sure how much power 700-800 HP. I've been looking for a schiada but I found a real good deal on a stock 21' Howard V-drive and it got me thinking. Maybe something I could build on, but just wasn't sure what they could handle...

I have a Spectra 20 with twin turbo Chevy (same boat as Howard) and it was rerigged by Brummitt (Andy Myers) it ran close to 100 with 980 HP.

Brent

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hey does anybody know how the 21' Howard handles? How do they handle at high speeds with big power?? Don't see many of them set up with blower or turbo motors....

I was just thinking I don't know of too many of them without blower motors.. LOL Most hte guys I know that have them have decent power in them.

RD

FrznJim

Reaction score
Here's my experience in a similar scenario: I had a 21 Spectra v-drive with 450hp big block, bought a 764 hp twin turbo motor with the intent of replacing motors, was cautioned that the original setup might not carry the nose with the new horsepower, so I sold the Spectra and bought a regelled Howard 21, had the motor plates, strut and v-drive relocated, cost about 7k for the work, (new drop thru stut, strut braced to stringers, new v-drive braces, blast plate, new propshaft and driveline, new prop), dropped the new motor in, it ran 82 mph on the GPS. With the new setup, the boat ran like it was on rails, and turned hard, the handling was very predictable.

500bbc

Reaction score
My buddy has a 21' with 1400 HP.
Went 110 and change in the 1/4 at Ming with full upholstery.:D:D

Rides great!

It was a special order for the HP and was custom rigged though. The builder said that the Howard has a better bottom out of the mold than Schiada.

Just remembered.

If you want straight info on Howard 21's call Ron at Bad Attitude Marine in Parker and ask him about the Bald Eagle.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Squeezing Spectra claimed (never saw it personally) that his ran 114 at Elsinore. I am not sure how much HP it had.

SuperDave drove it in the 300, and said it was pretty damn fast though..

RD

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
My buddy has a 21' with 1400 HP.
Went 110 and change in the 1/4 at Ming with full upholstery.:D:D

Rides great!

It was a special order for the HP and was custom rigged though. The builder said that the Howard has a better bottom out of the mold than Schiada.

Just remembered.

If you want straight info on Howard 21's call Ron at Bad Attitude Marine in Parker and ask him about the Bald Eagle.

I saw that run at Ming, I have seen that boat @ Parker a few times.

Brent

FrznJim

Reaction score
The Spectra/Howard/DCM has a flatter bottom than a Schiada, so it's kind of a no brainer that the S/H would be faster given similar horsepower and set up right. I remember SuperDave running that Spectra at the Parker 300, it flat hauled the mail until it filled the bilge up with oil??? I also crew for Gary H. in his Schiada #17 at the P300. I would say the Schiada runs much flatter and looks more in control (if there is such a thing at that speed) than the Spectra.

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
The Spectra/Howard/DCM has a flatter bottom than a Schiada, so it's kind of a no brainer that the S/H would be faster given similar horsepower and set up right. I remember SuperDave running that Spectra at the Parker 300, it flat hauled the mail until it filled the bilge up with oil??? I also crew for Gary H. in his Schiada #17 at the P300. I would say the Schiada runs much flatter and looks more in control (if there is such a thing at that speed) than the Spectra.

Take the 1976 Spectra and put the Twin Turbo Motor from the 2000 or so Schiada and do the bottom, underwater hardware, dollar for dollar and lets see the outcome.

BRent

FrznJim

Reaction score
I think that's already being done with Danny's DCM V-drive. He will have the Howard/Spectra bottom and the twin turbo motor, so he should have one super fast v-drive.

=River Perfection=

Reaction score
110 in 1300ft in a 21' is gettin with it. Post a pic of that Howard. I remember the motor being far back. It will be good to see what Cody n Mike did with that brand new Howard(dcm) they rigged. We are waiting to see what it does!

FrznJim

Reaction score
Wilderthanu,
Your 21 Connolly is a great buy at 32k for a really fast cruiser. I've never seen one run. How does it run in the chop? If I didn't already have four cruisers, one could think about the possibilities......The bottom on a Connolly is less steep than a Spectra/Howard, correct?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Wilderthanu,
Your 21 Connolly is a great buy at 32k for a really fast cruiser. I've never seen one run. How does it run in the chop? If I didn't already have four cruisers, one could think about the possibilities......The bottom on a Connolly is less steep than a Spectra/Howard, correct?

The bottom on a connely is damn near flat.. It has a very slight V to it, but nothing that I think would help in any kind of rough water.

RD

=River Perfection=

Reaction score
Dave is right...it is a big flatbottom. Reacts just like one in every way, I love the boat. I dont go out on the big weekends with anything other than our Pontoon anyhow... dont like abusing the hardware and stressing the hull flying it really hard. They end up coming apart...trust me I've seen a handfull come apart from the abuse. The floors come out or the stringers let loose. On off weekends the boat works just plain sick at any hour of the day. Its the most stable 21 I've ever drove or been in.... and def the hardest pulling.

500bbc

Reaction score
Pic posting problem.
They won't upload.
WTF?

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Here is a 1986 21' howard v-drive blown 532 1000hp 29's in a C-500 that I built for my WIFE a few years ago. Went 92 mph on a 3 blade prop.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,524

500bbc

Reaction score
Ahh too big.

I've had that complaint before.:champagne:

The Tri Vise Howard

Attachments

• pakerfamily 050.jpg
    pakerfamily 050.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,206

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Same Boat? ;) :D

RD <--- gettin old school n shit.. :D

Attachments

• shiada1.jpg
    shiada1.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 1,289

500bbc

Reaction score
Not mine, belongs to Tri Vise Jay, AKA Quickshade Jay.:D

That is the same boat in the old photo with a smaller motor, and no Pete Jackson injection. Your pic was when it was at Ming I believe.

My boat is just a little putt putt deal.

Attachments

• pakerfamily 058.jpg
    pakerfamily 058.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,127

500bbc

Reaction score
What motor is in your Howard?
How does it run now?

Brent

I think it's a Dart around 618Ci, with a 1471 High helix huffer and Pete Jackson Barn Door injector.

Big Pete built the motor and Ron at Bad Attitude rigged it.
I don't think we've gone too much over 100mph in it but it's kinda hard to tell. Lotta holding on going on when he puts his foot in it.:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Bad Attitude rigged the boat? Ground up Rig? Or re rig?

As well how's the 19 Howard run?

RD

500bbc

Reaction score
Bad Attitude rigged the boat? Ground up Rig? Or re rig?

As well how's the 19 Howard run?

RD

Don't know about the 19' Howard, the red boat is a 19' Schiada and it runs sweet with the injection, well when it's running.:grumble::D

Ron rigged it several years ago when he lived here in the Valley.
Story is the hull was ordered bare with a heavy layup expressly for the big power, Ron would know all the facts.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Don't know about the 19' Howard, the red boat is a 19' Schiada and it runs sweet with the injection, well when it's running.:grumble::D

Ron rigged it several years ago when he lived here in the Valley.
Story is the hull was ordered bare with a heavy layup expressly for the big power, Ron would know all the facts.

Howard ended up with that Schiada mold, and built several of them as well. that's why I thought it was a Howard.

RD

500bbc

Reaction score
Howard ended up with that Schiada mold, and built several of them as well. that's why I thought it was a Howard.

RD

Yup the Howard's have two stringers and the Schiada's have four.
Come by Echo in September for a ride in both.:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'll have to do that.. :) I should have my onboard pen cameras etc.. by then. :)

RD

Full Pull

Reaction score
'76 was the last year Schiada layed up 19s, '77 being the first year of the Howards. Rumor - I was told Danny from DCM was offered use of the 19 mold but wasn't sure if there was an interest.

Maybe someday my '77 will be half as cool as Brad's Schiada...

Attachments

• Howard.jpg
    Howard.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 1,384

500bbc

Reaction score
'76 was the last year Schiada layed up 19s, '77 being the first year of the Howards. Rumor - I was told Danny from DCM was offered use of the 19 mold but wasn't sure if there was an interest.

It's well on it's way.

Do I owe you any measurements still?:D

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
I really dig the look of those Schiada/Howard 19's. Never been in one but they really look tits.

Anyone remember that 19' Howard that was for sale on Los Angeles Craigslist last year? It was yellow with blue and red stripes I think. Super clean. With some sort of wrap around side bench seating. I think he was asking around 11 or 12K. I wish I had saved the photos, it was one of my favorite looking boats.

500bbc

Reaction score
I'll have to do that.. :) I should have my onboard pen cameras etc.. by then. :)

RD

9/12 to 9/15
Probably just setup on the 12th unless the waters good.
Last year we had about ten or twelve v-drives show up.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I dunno about offered use.. LOL They offered to sell them to him. I believe he's still kicking around the idea of picking them up.

9/12 to 9/15
Probably just setup on the 12th unless the waters good.
Last year we had about ten or twelve v-drives show up.

If I can make it out there that weekend we'll definately stop by. :)

RD

pixrthis

Reaction score
Same Boat? ;) :D

RD <--- gettin old school n shit.. :D

This is Leonard South's boat that Pete Flemming built the engine for. They used to run it in a bracket and BGF at NJBA in 89 or 90. Ran 110mph when we used to pair up to the lights, I don't remember the ET.

pixrthis

Reaction score
That's what we thought at the time. Leonard spent big money and Pete built big power. The Boat was laid up very heavy.

500bbc

Reaction score
That's what we thought at the time. Leonard spent big money and Pete built big power. The Boat was laid up very heavy.

Yup, very nice ride still launches like a flat.
Dropped a valve right after it was bought from Leonard now has bigger power.:thumbsup

pixrthis

Reaction score
I heard he's "littler" than he used to be and he must be staying busy because I keep running into people who have Pete Flemming power in their boat.

500bbc

Reaction score
I heard he's "littler" than he used to be and he must be staying busy because I keep running into people who have Pete Flemming power in their boat.

Yeah the surgery worked he's slimmed down.
He did my short block and several other friends of mines junk, that KB hemi in the hot rods thread is his, 900HP street motor.
He's busy as hell right now.

pixrthis

Reaction score
I spoke with Leonard and told him about this thread so hopefully he'll chime in and tell you how the boat handled first hand.

BobbyB

Reaction score
I had a 21 Spectra v-drive with 450hp big block.

......and I am perfectly happy with that ole 450 horser........:thumbsup:D

How's it goin JIM? Hows the Schiada coming?