WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How's the Housing Market in your Neighborhood?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Have one neighbor decided they wanted to move to Colorado.
Listed their house a little over comps and got 7 offers in 3 hours all over listed price.

They sold but had remorse about leaving Cali, decided to stay and bought another cheaper home here in town. Made enough in the transaction to be free of their bills. Now, if they can just stay CC and car payment debt free.

Wife says we'll keep our Cali home if we were to move outta state. The state tax savings alone would buy us a place in Nevada. Or at least it looks that way on paper.

Right now she has her eye on 5 acres near Overton/Logandale. Wants to be a crazy Dog, cat and burro lady. Our ages difference has us retiring 25 years apart.
Friends say "She's waiting". I don't answer "waiting for what?" I know that answer.

How's the RE market going your way?

jmeads

Reaction score
Have one neighbor decided they wanted to move to Colorado.
Listed their house a little over comps and got 7 offers in 3 hours all over listed price.

They sold but had remorse about leaving Cali, decided to stay and bought another cheaper home here in town. Made enough in the transaction to be free of their bills. Now, if they can just stay CC and car payment debt free.

Wife says we'll keep our Cali home if we were to move outta state. The state tax savings alone would buy us a place in Nevada. Or at least it looks that way on paper.

Right now she has her eye on 5 acres near Overton/Logandale. Wants to be a crazy Dog, cat and burro lady. Our ages difference has us retiring 25 years apart.
Friends say "She's waiting". I don't answer "waiting for what?" I know that answer.

How's the RE market going your way?

Moved from the SF Bay Area to GA last year after living there for 58 years. Could not handle the stupid politicians and how they mis handle our tax money. The homeless and illegals have more rights than taxpayers. Housing is about 60% less with many lakes and golf courses nearby. I do not miss California at all. I have to travel back for business once a quarter and each time I am in the state is realize why we moved. People living on the street, using the sidewalk as a bathroom and no one does anything about it. My rental car got broken into while at In and Out. I parked right in front of the restaurant. The manager of the restaurant says this happens every day and no one does anything about. I could go on and on, but nothing will change with California. That’s why I left.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I’ve had a few different realtors going door to door asking if anyone is ready to sell. That should say something.

The big question is where to go. I like Havi/Parker, but we need a nearby airport for the kiddos to fly in and visit, and us to fly out and travel. It has to be waterfront/boat dock property and can’t be too cold in the winter. TN is on the short list.

NicPaus

Reaction score
It's on fire in the Southbay. Not much inventory. I just finished 1 in lomita. It's in Escrow for over asking. Sold in a week. Working on another in Torrance they got it for under asking but was still 1.3M original 1953 home 1300 sq ft. Another we are on in Torrance will sell for 2M or so if they decide to sell.

Not much under 600k unless you want a serious fixer. Have 1 in Pedro the tenant is supposed to be out of today. They destroyed the house and it's in the shitty part of town. Still sell for close to 400k as is and its 825 sq ft but zoned for 3 if you bulldoze but coastal commission is 2 years to get approved.

Singleton

Reaction score
Stable. Inventory is low and being in Carlsbad and within walking distance to all schools (elementary, middle and high), we are in a prime location. Wife and I have agreed, if someone offers us $1M after closing costs we are out (house appraised at 900+ a few months ago).

Reactions: TPC

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Our daughter and SIL are selling their condo in Lakewood. Payed 158k for it about 6 years ago and they are selling for about 330k now. We are going to sell them our current house in Buena Park for what we owe on it, about 220k. Market is around 620-650k for like homes in the area. The wife and I will be moving into her birth home in Lakewood that is mortgage free.
The things we do to help our kids...

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Threads like this tempt me to list both my houses in LB for $100K more than I think they’re worth, take the money and run...

DWC

Reaction score
Haven’t really been paying attention. Theres nothing for sale in the neighborhood so that’s usually a good thing.
Plan is to keep it as a rental property and move to the Havasu house. Never thought I’d leave So Cal. Taxes and politics are a mother F’r. Still have 8ish years to go. We’ll see how it goes.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Threads like this tempt me to list both my houses in LB for $100K more than I think they’re worth, take the money and run...
The one in Escrow they listed 90k over going rate. In Escrow for over asking. I put it out there on FB for 630k before we started. Few friends shopping said to much. Now it's in Escrow for over 200k more 2 months later after we cleaned it up.

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
I live 2 blocks from a private beach on the gulf and a boat ramp for 200k. You guys can keep Cali. I would love for it to shoot up, but plenty of inventory for the snowbirds. One dies and another takes it's place. But if it doesn't, it's all good.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Our daughter and SIL are selling their condo in Lakewood. Played 158k for it about 6 years ago and they are selling for about 330k now. We are going to sell them our current house in Buena Park for what we owe on it, about 220k. Markets is around 620-650k for like homes in the area. The wife and I will be moving into her birth home in Lakewood that is mortgage free.
The things we do to help our kids...
You are a good Man Dave. Headed to Lakewood shortly to help a inmate. It will be listed soon.

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
I’m in Lakewood (Carson Park). My neighbors just sold for $798. A house one block north is pending for $897.

I want to take the money and run!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
House across the street jist sold. 780k I could sell my house for the same or more right now. That would be a close to 200k profit in a year. Crazy. I was just offered another big promotion in Vegas. Honestly we really really love norco or I wouldn’t have done home yesterday. It’s nice to have options. After almost bleeding to death from the dry air out in Vegas, and taking from people from the east and middle America, California is great. I tell people one day I’ll retire and by property in Montana. Everyone says the same thing. You haven’t had too many snow days have you... lots of guys from headless hulas area last week.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Things are stupid out here, but it's because the Cali market is retarded. Retirees cashing out, and moving. Things have doubled in 6 years. I get 2 calls a week about selling my property.

Responded to one outfit, "...but what would I do about the bodies?"

Haven't heard from them again.

Singleton

Reaction score
California is great. I tell people one day I’ll retire and by property in Montana. .

Montana is great country, however unless you know someone already living their don’t do it
Montana locals don’t like outsiders screwing up the state.
Good friend lives in Cody, WY. Spent a few days with him during our Yellowstone trip. That is a place I could live Memorial to Labor Day!

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I’ve had a few different realtors going door to door asking if anyone is ready to sell. That should say something.

The big question is where to go. I like Havi/Parker, but we need a nearby airport for the kiddos to fly in and visit, and us to fly out and travel. It has to be waterfront/boat dock property and can’t be too cold in the winter. TN is on the short list.

I work for Alaska Airlines, and I beg them every chance I get to start service into Lake Havasu. I would love to be able to commute to work from there, but driving 5.5 hours to LAX or 3 hours to Vegas and then a flight to LAX is kind of difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wedgy

Reaction score
As a comparison, My Ex sold the 1200 sq ft 3/2/2 Family home in Escondido for $330000 in 2015. PP, $121000 in 1989. If She would have waited a year or 2, it would have been over $400K.

Zillow says my brick 1284 sq ft Custom 3/2/1 is worth $107000, up from a purchase price of $82000 in 2015. Built in 1965. It also has a nice underground Tornado shelter, all Block 10 x15 Slab top, steel door. Nice established neighborhood, tree lined streets, on the "Right" side of town. LOL. Across from me, very nice brick 2000 sq ft 3/2/2, corner lot, FP, huge shop, finished basement. $$229000. No two houses are the same. All Custom homes on 7000 to 10000 foot lots. Town of Levelland pop 15000, 30 miles West of Lubbock. Also. Texas has no state income tax.

Great Medical in Lubbock, pop 250000, if you need to have it. One drawback about living too far out. Excellent Dr, Dentist, Optometrist here in town. South Plains College, WalMart, Vons/United supermarket. Many Restaurants in town, Lubbock Has Texas Tech University. Guns Up!!

Anything East of the West Texas Border, you are going to have to take weather into consideration. You may/will need a basement, or a Tornado shelter.

West Texas is hot, cold, flat. windy AF. scary storms, torrential rain, dry, and dusty AF. When the Calvary of the U.S. Army surveyed the area 30 miles North, around Littlefield in 1830, the Commanding officer wrote: "This area is so desolate, No-one will ever live here..."

My family has owned land in Hockley County for 100+ years, dry farming 100 acres outside of Anton, Tx. Mostly cotton. RIP Uncle Buck.
Your experience may vary. I like it here.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I’m in Lakewood (Carson Park). My neighbors just sold for $798. A house one block north is pending for $897.

I want to take the money and run!

The only thing keeping me here is the thought of what the numbers will be in another 10 years

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I had a thread a while back about us selling our house in Seattle in December. We are both pilots and upgraded to Captain, but we had to switch our base to LAX for the upgrade. We struggled to find a realtor who wanted to list it for what we wanted. We had hoped to get 600k, but the first realtor we used said she wasn’t comfortable listing it over 505k. The 3rd realtor we talked to said she would list for 575k. We listed it on a Wednesday night at 8pm and had our first offer by Thursday for full price. I wondered if we should accept it, but we decided to gamble and let it ride through the weekend for the open house. That triggered a bidding war and we settled for 31k over asking.

We busted our asses on that house for 3 years. We hired 3 contractors to do certain jobs, and every one turned out to be a nightmare. We realized we just need to do it ourselves if we want it done right. My better half did all of the electrical work for us.
IMG_0405.jpg

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
A year ago I was convinced the market was getting ready to turn. In fact, i was bummed about spending as much as I did on my house. Now I’m not so sure. There’s still a lot of money out there. Boat show was a big indicator for me. I’m so jealous watching people spend money and buy everything right now, but I have a plan. If I can follow it, in a few years I’ll be sitting pretty. I’m never going to be rich, might not ever own a big DCB... but I’m going to be comfortable. Meaning I won’t need to work overtime to try to save a little extra, I’ll be able to take a vacation whenever I want and not worry about what I spend doing it. That’s the big picture I see for us right now. Just being really comfortable and care free. I’m not saying I’ll never own a big DCB it’s just a main goal anymore.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Sold our house in Anaheim hills in 9 hours, $10,000 over asking and the buyers wrote us a book report with photos as to why we should sell the house to them.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I work for Alaska Airlines, and I beg them every chance I get to start service into Lake Havasu. I would love to be able to commute to work from there, but driving 5.5 hours to LAX or 3 hours to Vegas and then a flight to LAX is kind of difficult.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea for as many Alaska snowbirds as I see here, unfortunately they’ve tried commercial service here several times and it always seems to fail, I just don’t think there’s enough traffic to support it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A year ago I was convinced the market was getting ready to turn. In fact, i was bummed about spending as much as I did on my house. Now I’m not so sure. There’s still a lot of money out there. Boat show was a big indicator for me. I’m so jealous watching people spend money and buy everything right now, but I have a plan. If I can follow it, in a few years I’ll be sitting pretty. I’m never going to be rich, might not ever own a big DCB... but I’m going to be comfortable. Meaning I won’t need to work overtime to try to save a little extra, I’ll be able to take a vacation whenever I want and not worry about what I spend doing it. That’s the big picture I see for us right now. Just being really comfortable and care free. I’m not saying I’ll never own a big DCB it’s just a main goal anymore.
From my stupid hammer swinging or wrench turning point of view...If you buy a bit high, it is fine if you're going to be there for a while. The market turns and corrects...or whatever the smart people say...but as long as your income is stable enough to survive the first turn, you're good. I sold my last house for 725, and thought I skinned a fat hog. Two years and a ton of work, but couldn't/wouldn't keep that payment at the time.That was just as the market started to creep up again. Maybe 6 years ago? Same house sold again last year for 1.1m. If I would have stuck it out, sure. To what end though?
We wanted to be in one house, from my oldest's first year in middle school, to graduation of our youngest. Whatever the market dictates in 8 more years will decide where to for us. Over that span, I know we won't lose on what we paid;)

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

The wife and I quite often drive to Vegas from our home in Havasu to pick up friends and family. From our doorstep to the airport is 21/2 hours. We enjoy the ride and get to be away from the house for a few hours. If we want, we check out stores in Henderson before the pick-up/dropoff that are not in or around Havasu. We really enjoy getting out and seeing the desert, river views ( we go via Kingman) and the like.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The wife and I quite often drive to Vegas from our home in Havasu to pick up friends and family. From our doorstep to the airport is 21/2 hours. We enjoy the ride and get to be away from the house for a few hours. If we want, we check out stores in Henderson before the pick-up/dropoff that are not in or around Havasu. We really enjoy getting out and seeing the desert, river views ( we go via Kingman) and the like.

I was just discussing airport proximity with the wife. I think many from LA don’t really understand. We think that LAX is “close by” because it’s less than 25 miles from most of the LA area, but I know I’ve made the drive twice recently from Long Beach and it took about an hour and a half...traffic. Even though Vegas is 150 miles or so from Havasu...the drive time isn’t that much longer because you can actually do over 65mph the whole time.

Strange phenomenon

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I was just discussing airport proximity with the wife. I think many from LA don’t really understand. We think that LAX is “close by” because it’s less than 25 miles from most of the LA area, but I know I’ve made the drive twice recently from Long Beach and it took about an hour and a half...traffic. Even though Vegas is 150 miles or so from Havasu...the drive time isn’t that much longer because you can actually do over 65mph the whole time.

Strange phenomenon
WE drive at 75mph and sometimes judging by the cars going by us, we're dragging an anchor!:eek:

Bear Down

Reaction score
We purchased our Home in Upland in 2018, we couldn't afford to purchase a 4 bedroom in the our desired living area of West Covina/Covina area, priced around $100k over what our max was. 2 Years later, I would not be able to afford my current home, I knew it would increase, but not that much. Zillow has it about $40k more than what we purchased it for, but homes in our neighborhood are selling for $20k more than that. I’m sure it will eventually correct itself, but for now, for what I thought I over paid in 2018, ended up being a GREAT price... Hindsight is bitch....

Last edited:

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Two houses listed in January in our neighborhood and they each received over asking bids within a couple of days and are in escrow now. We live in a pocket that is in LA County but we’re in an unincorporated area and our school district is Las Virgenes which means way better schools than LAUSD so when a house lists in our area it doesn’t last more than a couple of days.

My next door neighbor is prepping his house now so he can list it for sale in June. He paid around $600K eight years ago and he’s going to list it for $1.2 million. His house is the same floor plan as ours but they added another bathroom.

They are moving to Boca Raton, Florida. The tariffs really hurt his business since he imports electronics from China. He’s going to cash out and buy a house there mortgage free and start his business over there.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
My focus for my flipping business is under $300k ARV.

DFW remains hot in the sub-$300k price point that I like to play at, especially in the $200k-$300k range.
Demand outstrips supply, houses sell quick in this price range.

These folks tend to be locals, but transplants are also eyeing it as well.

$300k to $1 million is flat.

Inventory over $1 million is high, with a 90-day supply. These homes sell much more slowly.

South Dallas is my farm area, inventory turns quick. We’re seeing a lot of demand in cities 10+ miles south of Dallas as well. This area only recently has begun to uptick. Lots of land means lots of new homes and lots of buyers, and I’ve expanded my farm area to include distressed homes in these areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
San Diego metro is still fairly low in inventory and prices are up. Things have leveled out...as they should honestly. We finished a spec house last month and sold it in five days for $540,000 in a pretty sketchy neighborhood. The new owner is thrilled. VA buyer.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Sold our house in Anaheim hills in 9 hours, $10,000 over asking and the buyers wrote us a book report with photos as to why we should sell the house to them.
That is amazing.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Some folks in their 80/90's Just passed away or in a nursing home in our hood. They did virtually nothing to the house in 20 years. Aluminum frames windows, carpet everywhere, no paint etc. 1300 square ft sold for $649k in a day. New owners are hitting it hard to live in

jet496

Reaction score
The only thing keeping me here is the thought of what the numbers will be in another 10 years
That's true. I remember people cashing out when $80k houses went up to $150 or $200 in San Diego for standard 1800 sq ft homes.

Then cashing out at $400k, now $600k plus. We're still cheap compared to the Bay area.

I love San Diego & will not move because of the liberals. Prices will only go up, even if they ever do drop it will be temporary.

We bought our first home in lakeside, CA in 1990 for $155k & kept it as a rental. It's now paid off, worth at least $650k & has a $2500 month income stream.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
We are a rarity in CA. We are a few days from listing our house for sale...$17k under what I bought it for in 2006. Put at least $20k of improvements (most of it our own labor) into the home as well. Sucks. Stuck it out for 14 years and it’s time to move on. My only hope is our new home will make a couple dollars.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Moved from the SF Bay Area to GA last year after living there for 58 years. Could not handle the stupid politicians and how they mis handle our tax money. The homeless and illegals have more rights than taxpayers. Housing is about 60% less with many lakes and golf courses nearby. I do not miss California at all. I have to travel back for business once a quarter and each time I am in the state is realize why we moved. People living on the street, using the sidewalk as a bathroom and no one does anything about it. My rental car got broken into while at In and Out. I parked right in front of the restaurant. The manager of the restaurant says this happens every day and no one does anything about. I could go on and on, but nothing will change with California. That’s why I left.
Where are you in GA? We lived in north Atlanta from 2000 to 2006.......Loved it there and miss Lake Lanier

lbhsbz

Reaction score
We are a rarity in CA. We are a few days from listing our house for sale...$17k under what I bought it for in 2006. Put at least $20k of improvements (most of it our own labor) into the home as well. Sucks. Stuck it out for 14 years and it’s time to move on. My only hope is our new home will make a couple dollars.

That seems impossible...what area?

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
That seems impossible...what area?

Sanger, CA. Direct comps that have sold in last 1 to 2 months are going for $280k to $298k (3 went for $3k to $5k over asking). Pretty dismal compared to many areas of CA.

zhandfull

Reaction score
All is good in Rancho Cucamonga. Prices have nearly doubled in eight years and I just heard from a friend currently looking to buy in the area that we still have bidding wars going on. Just Crazy!

gqchris

Reaction score
Enjoy while its hot. The smart ones are selling and banking the money. Ive said it before, I have friends high up in the mortgage game. They say its happening all over again. Bottom will fall out.

I know others have said it also, the truth is that everything is rising but our wages are not matching the inflation. When does it catch up?

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Very strong. I own two houses here and am sitting on a fortune

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...My parents paid $10,000 for my now home in upper Noho in 1950 ...house w/garage conversion next block up...same housing track just sold for $899K...:eek:...

rvrrun

Reaction score
Enjoy while its hot. The smart ones are selling and banking the money. Ive said it before, I have friends high up in the mortgage game. They say its happening all over again. Bottom will fall out.

I know others have said it also, the truth is that everything is rising but our wages are not matching the inflation. When does it catch up?
I just told my buddy this the other day. He’s a few years from retirement and plans on moving to Havasu. I told suggested he sell, buy in Havi, and rent here until he’s ready to move.