WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HP500 Carb, paint or powder coat?

bocco

Reaction score
Looking to rebuild my Holley 800 on my HP500. I'm wondering what to do about the blue paint/powder coat. Is it paint or powder coat? Will it come off when I dip the parts in carb cleaner? If that happens will I get paint specs in the passages? Should I use paint remover first?

In general what's the best way to go. I'm fine if the carb is no longer blue at all when I'm done.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Go ahead and clean the thing exactly as you would and get a can of merc racing blue and paint it when you done. The dip will take some blue off the carb but not all of it. It best just not to worry about it and paint the whole carb once you put it back together, taping all the important parts off of course

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't use carb dip. Even though it's almost harmless these days! 😂

Use electrical contact cleaner and clean out each passage individually. Rinse with water and blow dry when done.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

Use electrical contact cleaner and clean out each passage individually. Rinse with water and blow dry when done.

You and I both know those gaskets aren't coming off nicely without dip or a soda blaster lol

bocco

Reaction score

Never thought about that trick. I'll check it out. The carb is 24 years old so the barrels are kind of funky. And those old gaskets make you work at getting the bowls and metering plates off.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Never thought about that trick. I'll check it out. The carb is 24 years old so the barrels are kind of funky. And those old gaskets make you work at getting the bowls and metering plates off.

If it has the old school gaskets, that could be an issue.

The new carb dip is junk. Doesn't clean for shit! If you can get the old school dip, it will work, and distroy that blue finish as well.

Care required.

bocco

Reaction score
In general it would have been nice if they didn't paint the carb at all.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Viper blue is the same color also. Easier to source.

bocco

Reaction score
I'm really showing some restraint here. I want to just buy a new Quick Fuel M-800 and match the jetting to my holley.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes I would spend the effort to keep the original Holley with the motor.

....but if your junking it 🙋‍♂️😁