WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HTM

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Can some explain the difference between the SS and SR 24 hulls?

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Ok. Say you guys were in the market for a 24-26ft cat with a single i/o. What would you buy and why?

sean

Reaction score
Ok. Say you guys were in the market for a 24-26ft cat with a single i/o. What would you buy and why?

25 daytona.... is there any other? i mean really? no really? :D the daytona/dcb or even the 26 ao maybe the carrera and lastly conquest/magic. i know you said 24-26 footers, measure a conquest/magic and they are only a 26' bottom and nice size boat just not super fast.
never been a fan of the htm for several reasons mostly if it's yellow n black it resembles the short bus:D. i dont think that bottom is very stable in churned waters like the others i listed above. i owned a daytona and regret selling her almost that same day.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I’d assume because you’re asking about HTM that you are looking used. I'm not a cat type of guy but I'd say in that size range;

Eliminator – started it all, proven design, high end quality.
DCB – proven design, high end quality.
Howard – proven design, built like a tank, last forever, maybe not as fast as above.

Yea Im looking. If the right deal comes along I'll move on it.

I like the Daytonas. The Howards are killer, however I dont see very many used ones for sale. The Htm really caught my eye when I climbed in one. I coulnd't believe all the storage space.

The roll over stories have always made me shy away from the HTM.

I think the dcb will be out of my price range. I saw a bitchen Mach26 for sale about a year ago. It was yellow/white blue purple. It had a very similar gel coat as my Ultra (awesome). It had huge power too! I think they were asking 65k.

Last edited:

sean

Reaction score
hey ultra, look in the forsale dealio at donnies daytona. yes he's a bud but from a bang for the buck you cant go wrong. new engine with all the goodies, great daytona and the owner takes great care of his toys.
i did forget to say the howard cat before and thats only due to the fact i dont think you'll find one used.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
hey ultra, look in the forsale dealio at donnies daytona. yes he's a bud but from a bang for the buck you cant go wrong. new engine with all the goodies, great daytona and the owner takes great care of his toys.
i did forget to say the howard cat before and thats only due to the fact i dont think you'll find one used.

There are a few used Howards, but they are pricey.

I made Donnie a trade plus cash offer and he declined. Nice boat though. When I get more serious and I'll put my boat up for sale and start looking.

I just thought this could be a good thread full of info for me and others.'

sean

Reaction score
ahhh cool. i have only seen a few htm's out here in az and think once the tragedy happend it killed htm's rep. hate to see it happen to any company. there was a 24 htm at lotto a few years back that had a lil issue but i cant find that video anymore sorry.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Let me put it this way, a very good friend of mine Helped Steve design the bottom of the HTM. He got one of the first ones. The thing ran like a bat out of hell. He had it geared so it would throw you into the back of the seat all the way up to about 105. Coulda re-greared it to do MUCH more but thought the low and mid range was more important for his boating style.

This guy has had every single boat you can imagine. From a 22 Eliminator with twin 2.5's on it to his current Schiada RT with a blower motor. He NEVER had a problem with his HTM. He said it always felt super stable. Him and I have discussed the infamous issues with HTM's before and he has told me that he NEVER felt unsafe in his HTM. The ONLY reason he sold it was because he didnt like how tall it was for the river. That's all.

sean

Reaction score
see and thats what you need to hear more but there just arent that many owners out there singing praise. it's too bad.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
see and thats what you need to hear more but there just arent that many owners out there singing praise. it's too bad.

I beg to differ. There are a few owners over on PB that really love their HTM's. Mike37 here has told me before that he really enjoys his also.

Check out this thread over on PB. Anyone know this HTM ? - Performance Boats Forums

They have quite a few owners there giving input and a lot of good input also.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

Tough to sing praises when you know there will be hundreds ready to bash them due to what they have read in the past.

dougiebear111

Reaction score
Hell yes. Bad ass boat. I owned the one with the two 225 mercs hanging off of the back. My wife was new to boating, she loved every minute we were in that boat. I would recommend HTM to anyone. Having said that, you might want to go look at the new kids on the block, Cougar. The new owner is a fantastic guy and will walk you through every step of the process. In fact, there is an almost brand new one in there for sale now. It could be had for about half what it would cost to build new.:eek:uttahere:

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
I just sold my HTM SS-24, I had it for 3.5 yrs. It handled awesome, turned better than ANY cat period. I had a mild 565/M-3 Procharged motor in it with a 1.24 XR and a Lab 30p Bravo that went 122.4 GPS in a very short distance. Basically, if your looking for the fastest sub 26' single engine cat, HTM is the way to go.

The funny thing is, how often do you see a HTM with less than a 1000 hp motor ? I'm in Indiana and there is another HTM SS-24 in our area ( I haven't seen personally ) that boats on a lake South of me that has a 1400 hp Alky motor in it. lol

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I just sold my HTM SS-24, I had it for 3.5 yrs. It handled awesome, turned better than ANY cat period. I had a mild 565/M-3 Procharged motor in it with a 1.24 XR and a Lab 30p Bravo that went 122.4 GPS in a very short distance. Basically, if your looking for the fastest sub 26' single engine cat, HTM is the way to go.

The funny thing is, how often do you see a HTM with less than a 1000 hp motor ? I'm in Indiana and there is another HTM SS-24 in our area ( I haven't seen personally ) that boats on a lake South of me that has a 1400 hp Alky motor in it. lol

I never have! :thumbsup
I've heard that HTM is a faster hull than the 25 Daytona. Is this true?

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
In * MY * opinion, a 25 Daytona vs. a SS-24 HTM with the same power, the HTM will be faster from start to top end.

My HTM hardly even lifted the bow when it planed out. You just gave it gas and it took off. I missing that boat more and more as summer draws near. That boat pulled so FK'N hard from 70 - 115... 99.9% of people I ran into on the river got left behind instantly as soon as the hammer dropped.

BDADDY

Reaction score
I know this is a old thread but just got signed up here I had my HTM SS built for our family back in 2000 hands down the best boat i have ever owned. If something happened to it today id be looking for another one tomorrow. This has been a great family hotrod. My other choice would be Redline custom boats Has the same bottom just longer. Roy is a good friend and builds a hella of a boat he designed and built HTM. I have never felt the boat was outta control always very stable. But then again a lot of it comes down to experience and maintaining the boat. All boats can crash no matter who makes them. ;)

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
Its not a splash but the "Warlock Cat Bottom" is what was used when designing the HTM bottom.
R.I.P. My friends, Steve & Kenny

STV_Keith

Reaction score

Personally, I like the lines of the Carrera 257 Effects the best in the size range.

MOOREMNY

Reaction score
The bottom on The SR is different than the SS it`s a couple of inches taller, I notice this when I put my SS on my friend SR trailer to go fuel up, too lazy to switch, and it didn`t fit right, also the deck is 9" taller on the SR. Driving , SS is a sports car, fast ,nimle, and steady. SR s.u.v ,bigger heavier, handles the ruff better but with good h.p. will run hard. I have owned mine for 10 years, did the race thing r.i.p. Chuck,Steve,ken. Blown up many drives ,I think I`m on #9, 250 long hard hrs, anyways the boat is stil in great shape no stress cracks no delam, and no flip overs. Some of my friends have daytona`s, mach 26`s,howard`s, driven them all with close to the same power as i have, they all have good and bad, bad on my SS is under 30 mph very lazy, I`m not going to start bashing, but at 110+ in 1 to 2`chop my SS is stable like nothing else I have driven, I have pushed it to 133 still comfortable in the right conditions. for it`s size 23-26 the SS is best bang for the buck. Thanks hope this helps.